Dallas, GA
White Oak Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #8 (Taken 1/2009)
Hole #8 Blue Tee

:( Baskets 13 & 14 gone

5+    8/16/2012   8/19/2012
Review By: bighurt
Pros: More open than wooded; great exercise due to hilly terrain; not many people play it
Cons: Baskets 13 & 14 are now missing. Parks & rec took them away due to neighboring land owner complaining about fences being cut and thus his livestock getting free. SUPPOSEDLY, park & rec is evaluating how to add two more holes which I'm afraid will diminish the layout substantially. 14 was one of my favorite holes with tiny creeks surrounding the hole. Of course the lack of signage at this course as stated numerous times before is a big negative. Be sure to take map (even though it's not updated, at least will give you a sense of where to go).
Other Thoughts: This layout has so much potential but unfortunately doesn't get much upkeep. If we could possibly get some Eagle Scouts to deem it as their project and get some concrete pads and signage put up, that'd be a great service to the community! I'm just afraid parks & rec are going to stall on putting back in the two holes and if they do, will be two crappy holes. How hard would it be to put a sign on the baskets pointing towards the next tee or tiny signs on trees (i.e. like Deerlick)?

Private feel here

1    6/13/2012   6/20/2012
Review By: JBryant
Pros: Secluded. Didn't see but one other disc golfer out there and that was when I finished on 18.

Great elevation use. There are some real bomb shots here.

Baskets are in great shape.
Cons: Very difficult to navigate. No course map available. Wasn't even sure I was at the right part of the park. Managed to find the beat up course sign laying on the ground with a very faded course name on it. No tee signs. This is a real let down for such a nice course. I understand money but as a tourist I won't come back. There are plenty of better courses in the Atl area. Even the numbers on the tee pads, when I finally found my way, were so faded you practically had to hike the course twice-once to go see what basket you were throwing at and once to actually play the hole. It really too away from the experience of what I would consider a 4rated course given proper upkeep.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed the shots I had to make. My wife hated the hike, Hike, HIKE that white oak brings. If you are going to make that hike you should just get reservations at the 5 star Flyboy and be done with it.

White Oak

2-4    8/19/2011   8/21/2011
Review By: 3OrangeWhips
Pros:
- one of the best pieces of public park land used for a disc golf course
- great course layout taking advantage of the terrain
- throws up, down, along and across the rolling terrain
- water in play on the closing three holes
- one of the best opening holes I have played
- shiny new DisCatcher baskets
- no crowds or interference
Cons:
- natural tee pads with gravel are rutted and unsafe
- hard to find tee pads and blind baskets
- no tee signs or other navigation aids; very hard to navigate
- most of the original PVC tee markers are gone
- beware: the bridges across the creek near hole #12 are not very sturdy
- beware: the stacks of 4x4 used as a bridge on #17 are wobbly and fell over when I walked on them
Other Thoughts: I guess it is about time I write a review for White Oak since it has been almost two years since I first played there in 2009 right after the course first opened. Back then I remembered thinking how much potential the course had, but two years later that is still the case. The piece of land is incredible and the course layout takes perfect advantage of it. The opening hole has you throwing along a ridge line with the basket on the downhill point--a great way to start. The rest of the front nine plays up, down and across these hills with just enough trees to make you think. The middle section is wooded with extreme elevation, and the final three holes play along and across a pond. The fairways are grassy and always well maintained, although the low lying areas can flood during rains. The big drawback is the lack of tee signs and navigational aids and the poor tee pads. I recently played White Oak for the third time and gave up on hole 13 when I could not find the basket even after scouting over two hills. Nearly all of the temporary tee posts from two years ago are gone, making it nearly impossible to find the gravel tee pads that are well hidden amongst the hilly terrain. The tee pads are rutted and covered with pea gravel, and a 4x4 across the front edge is a serious tripping hazard if your run-up goes long. I agree with other reviewers that ding this course points because there are zero amenities (tee pads, benches, signs, etc.) and navigation is confusing. Despite the negatives, this is a beautiful course that just needs some additional development to fulfill its potential.

Mixed feelings

1    4/23/2011   6/17/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a hilly park with a mix of open areas and some denser woods. Most of the front 9 plays out in the open on steep hills. The elevation is used creatively to create variety and some nice challenging drives, as well as several roll away greens to add difficulty to the short game. The back 9 plays a little in the woods, and brings a pond and creek into play for a little more risk. A few holes are tight enough to make you shape a specific line, and have enough rough to punish errant shots.

There is good distance variety here, especially if you consider the long and short tees that are pretty different in some cases. Though the course is pretty open, you'll need different shot shapes to have the best shot at a good score. The course was well groomed, with no trash and nicely mowed grass. The course doesn't conflict with other park users, which is always a plus in a multi-use facility.
Cons: The open hilly holes get a little repetitive. I love the elevation, but with few or no obstacles it loses a little bit of challenge and interest. The long and short tees on most holes don't change the line to the pin, they just have different distances, so they don't really add to the variety of the course. The wooded holes have some erosion issues where there isn't grass.

The tees are pretty bad, they're rutted out and in poor shape and many sit on slopes and aren't leveled. Some are a bit overgrown so they're not obvious, especially with the lack of signs. There isn't much indication of what hole number you're on, or where to throw, and the flow of the course is odd in spots. Make sure you print the map or you'll be frustrated trying to figure out where to go.
Other Thoughts: There are some really fun holes here, but there's also some repetitiveness, and some navigation issues that can frustrate visiting players. Beginners will find the course challenging, but with limited rough and many reasonable short tees it's approachable for newer players. More experienced throwers will find some nice challenges in spots, but also some parts of the course that are very straightforward and one-dimensional.

Beginner Course

1    4/24/2011   4/24/2011
Review By: The Doctor
Pros: 1. They have 3 legit holes 10,11,17
Cons: 1. No tee pads
2. 4 tee signs, not much integrity
3. Wide open holes
4. Not tournament worthy
5. Over rated course
Other Thoughts: I shot even playing everything par 3. I thought the only variation besides, 11, 12, 17, was the elevation changes. The course was all right to navigate but needs tee signs. Doesn't have much to distinguish it from the rest. I played Northern Georgia Canopy Tour yesterday and thought it blew this course away. I wish I would have went somewhere else while I am on vacation here.

White Oak

1    1/29/2011   2/2/2011
Review By: do you juju
Pros: The plot of land that this course is on includes a massive amount of park space that is capitalized by the local community. With several small bodies of water throughout the park, rolling hills, aged trees, and great maintenance this park is visually captivating. The course is in the back of the park and for the majority of the holes, they are in the wide open with few trees lining the fairways. The elevation of some of the holes was not only difficult to manage a drive from the tee box, but also landing a putt in fear of rolling down another hill behind the basket. The holes are decent length, and offer some creativity to your shots. As fun as the course was to play, it was also just as enjoyable to walk through the park on a lovely Saturday afternoon.
Cons: As much praise as I gave the course, there are a few things that are detrimental to it's push as an elite course. Coming from a home course with grass tee pads, I enjoy anything other than that, but it would have been nice to see some concrete pads instead of the makeshift gravel ones. Luckily I played the course with some friends who have played it before, and they were able to guide me as such, but if you are playing it blind, it can be tough. Very few holes had signs or maps that indicated the distance or basket location. Having to walk a few steps to see the basket isn't a big deal at all, but a sign would be nice and make things tremendously easier. A few benches spread throughout the course, but a few more wouldn't hurt after walking the elevation on some holes.
Other Thoughts: Trying to convey the elevation changes is tough to do through a review, but take it from me, they can be drastic. Playing confident, and with a clear idea of where the basket is and each hole, this course is a lot of fun.

Could be so much better

1    8/11/2010   8/11/2010
Review By: MarkDanielle
This review was updated on 8/17/2010
Pros: This wasn't one of those courses where you just throw your driver as far as you can. This course actually required imagination. One hole might have you throw it a little to the right or left. Another had you throwing over water. On some courses I throw a driver and a putter and that's it. But this one was a tad longer than most and required a little imagination, with me using almost all of my discs for one reason or another

Was well-groomed

Water fountain near No. 1 worked well (and the water was good and cold)
Cons: Entrance to the park had a bunch of signs, but not one directed us to hole No. 1

We had LOTS of trouble figuring out in which direction to throw our discs. Is it so difficult to post a map of the hole somewhere on the tee pad?

We had no idea which way to walk to get to the next tee. Again, is it so difficult to include on the tee basket a sign, with an arrow, that shows the way to the next tee?
Other Thoughts: Course could potentially be one of the best in the area. But I won't play it again until hole-specific maps AND "next tee" arrows are added. I just don't want to waste any more time trying to figure things out. On a few holes, we actually threw to the wrong basket. After this happened a second time I simply picked up my disc and refused to play another hole until we found matching tee boxes and holes.

Course Changes (Temp?)

5+    7/26/2010   8/4/2010
Review By: Bakenstine
This review was updated on 9/10/2010
Pros: _Hole 5 Connection!_ (Chillaxation spot before or after hole 5)
PROS for CHANGES made: 9 is no longer blind, and does not risk lakage. 10 has been cleared very nicely along the old rough of 9. 11 is simply old 10, which I liked, glad to see it in tact. 12 is old 11, yet is longer and across the creek... Tricky placement indeed! 13 is immensely long now. I LOVE a long arse hole, but dayem, this was a shock the first time around
Cons: CONS for CHANGES made: 9 is WAY too short for the course average. 10 is tricky but somehow a slight disappointment when walking past the old nine basket (a challenge I loved to hate). 11 seems to be cleared more on the right, where new 10 basket is located, and this could result in fatal rollers down said grass hill. I hope to see both locations for the pin at new 12 (old 11) in alternation, because cool as the creek crossing is, I liked the blind thumber bomb I could pull on the shorter location. 13.... 13, 13, 13, what can be said. I like it long, but maybe not THAT long. I think that the situation around 16's baskets also needs to be settled and the old choices turned into an alt pin loc for 15.
Other Thoughts: Nice to see a course go through revolutionary changes for the better. I only wish the same could be said of Redan.....

very hilly doesn't come close

1    7/18/2010   7/19/2010
Review By: TracyJ
Pros: the course is beautiful.
Cons: the beginning of the course was not marked. i didn't see any disc golf course signage. the description of very hilly is a little misleading. we play Lenora all the time and that is described as very hilly. this was mountainous in comparison. there were very very steep uphills and downhills on all the holes we played. we could not find the red tees on several holes and the map we downloaded from this site is not correct, so we could not find our way easily.
Other Thoughts: we only had time to play the back nine but couldn't even get that in because of the searching for tees and pins trying to follow the map from this site. also the terrain is very much understated in the description. we'll come back when we have 3 hrs for a round and are in better shape.

Beautiful Park

1    6/27/2010   6/28/2010
Review By: The Drake
Pros: White Oak is a beautiful course in a beautiful park. Rolling hills and sloping greens make for very strategic drives with an emphasis on the landing and nervous putts for fear of some very severe rollaways. To say this course is on a beautiful piece of land really isn't doing it justice. The fairways almost have a feel of being on a manicured ball golf course.

If you like booming drives this is a course for you. There are many opportunities out here which will allow you to stretch your arm out. But there are also some shorter holes to take some of the pressure off. Blind tee shots and landing areas, hyzer, anhyzer, uphill, downhill, and even a couple of wooded holes that will remind Atlanta locals and Atlanta Open players of East Roswell.

Playing this course will improve your game. What impressed me most about this course was the fact that even though its in a very nice park with lots of families around and things to do for non golfers the course itself seems to be on a plot of land that isn't used by anyone else which is a huge bonus. The entire family can go out and while the kids play on the swings or by the lake you can play golf and not have to worry about hitting a random jogger.
Cons: If you are out of shape you may not want to play this course. As a soccer player having just played Flyboy the front part of the course can be very taxing just to walk with some severe elevation changes. So just a warning there.

While the teepads are well marked with white posts and blue or red tape to indicate pro versus am tee pads respectively it would be nice to add distances of the holes.

There are a couple of holes which I felt were poorly designed. 11 and 12 I was not a big fan of. As mentioned above these bring back feeling of ERP in Atlanta with very tight fairways and especially in the case of 11 which is an uphill huck have numerous trees dotting the fairway. I threw a drive on the hole which put me 50 feet below the hole maybe 20 feet to the left of the center part of the "fairway" and had no putt at the basket. The next hole is a blind severe downhill also with a very tight fairway and a creek which runs only 30-40 feet below the hole. I love wooded courses and holes and don't mind tight fairways but if there are trees in the middle of the fairway (a LOT of them) its an automatic con for me.
Other Thoughts: I played White Oak after having just finished a round at Flyboy just spur of the moment before driving back to Birmingham. I was very pleasantly surprised at how good of a course white oak was. Using these two courses together for a tournament would be tremendous. This golfer will definitely make efforts to come back and play white oak.