Dallas, GA
White Oak Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #11 (Taken 1/2009)

How did they get this land?

2-4    5/7/2010   5/7/2010
Review By: Fender088
Pros: This course is located in one of the nicest multi-facility parks in the metro-Atlanta area. I've honestly never seen the same amount of diversity in elevation at any other park in Georgia. Once you arrive you'll see that there's a really nice pavilion (great for tournaments and leagues) and restrooms right next to the parking area. From the first tee you'll realize that you're in for a hike for the rest of the day. The first half of the course is relatively open with scattered trees around the fairways. However, there is a great deal of elevation to deal with as well as some distance. Big arms will definitely enjoy this part of the course. After this, there's a few wooded holes, also with elevation in play. This is followed by some more open holes and then a signature shot over the pond on hole 17.
Overall, this course has everything. Downhill and uphill, hyzer and anhyzer, open and wooded. This course will demand every shot in your bag and a good deal on conditioning to keep your wits about you.
Cons: As far as variation of shots, I can't think of a single con. I definitely wouldn't bring a first timer to this course, although novice players would probably still have a good time. There's just a lot of walking to ask of someone who isn't serious about the sport.
I also was a little disappointed that this course didn't have signs, because a lot of the tees don't allow you to see the pins. I realize that this course is relatively new and they're still tweaking with the design, but it gets kind of tiring walking up the fairway to see where the basket is. Once you learn the course it's not bad though.
I was also just a little disoriented with the tees. I saw multiples on some holes, but most of the short tees looked over grown. I don't know if they're only keeping the longs or not, but it was a tad ambiguous.
Other Thoughts: This park and the course located in it are both gorgeous. I really can't figure out how the disc golfers in this area convinced the park to give them such prime pieces of land. I'm glad they did though. This is easily the best course on the west side of Atlanta. If you're with people that don't want to throw, they can easily find something to do at this facility, from hiking to playgrounds to fishing. Only thing I would suggest is that you bring a lot of water because of the distances and the pond makes the park humid in the summer.

Scenic Hills

1    2/17/2010   2/17/2010
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: Nice course in a large park that has made a good use of elevation. Good park facilities. Bathrooms, garbage cans and picnic tables on site. Even 2 playgrounds for kids and family. The course itself is an example of one of the better uses of elevation I have seen in a non-mountain course. There are up and downs, and even baskets placed on hill sides that add risk to your putts and approaches. A fun place to play if you want to air it out and watch your disc fly up and down hills. Some cool blind shots over hills that require a spotter or a short walk to check out the shot. Nice change of pace compared to the wooded courses I normally play.
Cons: Course is still under construction so these cons are temporary. Crushed gravel tee pads. Can get wet and uneven. I did see signs that they are raising money for concrete pads. That will be a nice improvement and make me grade the course higher when it is done. No signs to navigate holes. I assume this is in the works too, but these things take time. For now it's a negative. While there is a good use of the hills many of the shots are simply up and down hills with no other risk/reward factor.
Other Thoughts: Holes that stuck out in my mind:

1) Straight downhill, but basket is on a hill and that can make the approach tricky.
2)Nice uphill with an OB fence on the right. A few mature oaks to add some obstacles to the fairway.
4) Basket placed on side of a large hill. Tough approach and putt. Challenging layout.
8) Down a hill, over some trees and up another hill. A few trees to naviagte around by the hole.
9)Gradual downhill shot with the basket tucked in the edge of the woods and the pond behind. Overthrows could go swimming.
10) 1st wooded hole. Straight up a very steep hill. Nice tunnel shot through the trees.
11) Back down the steep hill and another tunnel shot. Enough trees in there to ruin your day. OB creek behind basket for overthrows and an OB barbwire fence on right.
14) OB creek in front and to the side of the basket.
17) Decent length shot over the pond to a basket on a peninsula. Signature hole for the course. There is room for us noodle arms to throw short and safely cross the pond. Must be careful on approaches due to pond behind basket. There is some room, but a roller could hurt.

Overall a very nice course that will be even better with pads and signs. Great option for people that prefer a more open course. Only 2 wooded holes.

not fun

1    12/22/2009   12/28/2009
Review By: Journeyman
Pros: If you like to rip long throws on wide open courses this one may be for you. Pin placement was interesting and required care lest the disc roll far away from the basket.

Elevation does add interest.
Cons: Wide open, little technical challenge. While elevation is interesting every throw is similar, grip and rip.

Poor signage with no "next tee" signs.
Other Thoughts: If you near and you want to play then hit this one. Do not go out of your way unless you like to throw lots of long open holes. If that is your thing, JP Mosely is a better choice in the area.

Different than Most Courses

1    11/28/2009   11/28/2009
Review By: Psalman
Pros: This is by far the best use of elevation in Atlanta Metro. Instead of trees being the primary obstacle, the hills are. Overthrowing a pin can cause the disc to roll up to 100 feet on multiple holes. An accurate putter will have an advantage here. Lesser skilled will have to lay up.

This course is very remote feeling. It's is unbelievably refreshing. Because of the hills, you get a great workout while you're having fun.

Another player I met told me that wind is often a factor. Since you have to throw some hefty hyzer & anhyzer shots, I can imagine that on a windy day these shots are very challenging.
Cons: There aren't a lot of amenities on the course. There are about six benches, but no trash cans, signs, or cement tee pads. The condition of the gravel tee pads is very good.

Since it's fall, there are tons of leaves. Finding discs is difficult, and walking up and down some of the steeper sections is strenuous. This is not a course for people with mobility issues. I also do not recommend bringing smaller children. Using a stroller cart to carry your discs may be difficult on some holes.

Besides the elevation, there isn't as many obstacles as I might like. Besides the pins near water and on steep surfaces, many holes are absent of obstacles besides the hills.

The area near the Creek OB on the map is lowlands. You have to walk on sinking boards to cross.
Other Thoughts: #1 is a moderate downhill. Be careful not to overthrow on your approach.
#4 is over a hill and then down. It's more fun than it sounds.
#5 is a steep uphill.
#6 is a beatufil open long Par 4
#10 is a wooded, steep uphill
#11 is the steepest downhill you could imagine. Try an overhead and watch it drop like a rock almost into the hole.
#14 pin is now guarded by a creek.
#17 is where you throw your disc in the water after thinking you were better than you actually are.

Best land for a DG course I've seen in years

1    10/21/2009   11/21/2009
Review By: KickMuttButt
Pros: The Land. This park has beautiful terrain. Great elevation and mix of woods and open. The course design takes advantage of the elevation by requiring hyzers uphill and down as well as a few anhyzer tee-offs.
Cons: Gravel tee pads. They have got to go. Signs are needed.
Other Thoughts: When this course has the pads and signs in place, it will be a crown jewel for N. GA. I cant wait to go back.

Newbie Likes the Forgiving Fairways

2-4    11/14/2009   11/14/2009
Review By: Patsfan140
Pros: I love the forgiving fairways. The up and down walking gives me plenty of exercise while walking the mile plus linear distance. I still don't have the confidence to throw over the water at 17 but 16 is a lot of fun coming down to the water. I love the 2 holes in the woods! Coming down on 11 (I think) is fun and challenging for me.
Cons: I am still am too new to know what the cons are.
Other Thoughts: Lots of open spaces and fresh air! Great way to spend an afternoon!

Has some dream holes

1    9/5/2009   9/8/2009
Review By: billnchristy
Pros: Some holes that you could only dream of.
Extreme elevation changes.
Secluded with the exception of the holes by the lake.
Baskets on the sides of the hills provide a challenge that might not be there otherwise.
Many good attempts to minimalize the rough terrain by putting simple bridges in place.
Amazing work for the little money that was given for the course.
Cons: Honestly I found it a little repetitive. The main challenge is the elevation and a lot of holes offered little more.
Some of the tees were very slippery, I think even gravel would be better than raw red clay.
Other Thoughts: I wish this course had some more variety to go along with some of the holes that you just want to empty your bag on. Those holes alone are worth playing a round and might even be worth coming back (thought at 60mi away it is a tough call). It is a great addition to the Atlanta courses because it fills a bit of a void. It is what Lenora could have been if it was as extreme...but therein lies the problem, if it were not so extreme, it would be Lenora...
8 and 10 are awesome,11 is spectacular, 17 is cool and 4 is as fun as it is frustrating...there is a lot to be offered here but I really wish the woods could've been used more or less blind shot over the enormous hill, down the enormous hill and across the valley to the middle of the next enormous hill shots.
I don't think there is any way to not get blasted for this review but I don't feel a course can be a 4 yet without any amenities. Everyone calls it a diamond in the rough...well the rough is what the review should be based on.

This really can be one of the premier courses in the area, it just isn't there yet.

If I could build a "best of Atlanta" course this one and ERP would probably hold the majority of the holes (of the ones I have played).

Diamond in the rough

1    8/14/2009   8/16/2009
Review By: forehandfranz
Pros: Remote countryside park where you really feel like you have the place to yourself. I only saw 4 other golfers on a summer evening! Rolling grassy slopes and large oak trees and a lake are the terrain here. Most of the rough borders the outer edge of the park and won't be a problem if you keep within the ample fairways. 16 of the holes are rather open, with a few trees peppered in, but the extreme elevation fills in the gap and adds that third dimension. Wow- are there some great holes here! Long and short tees on most holes accomodate different skill levels and rotating pin placements on many holes too. Other than holes 10 & 11 (which are extremely STEEP and woody) you'll be able to grip & rip through undulating hills. Some challenging pin placements too. My favorite hole was the one I scored a quad bogey 7 on - #17 which sits across the lake on a small peninsula. The great thing about this hole is that from the long tee you have risk/reward in which you can go for pin for bird or lay up early to "hope" for par- but your approach is guarded by trees in front and lake all around the pin! Fantastic stuff. Kinda reminds me of TPC Sawgrass # 17 island pin. Top notch restrooms and shelters here too.
Cons: This course is very new, so it has natural teepads and PVC pipes with numbers marking them. They were adequate for now (tees are probably really slick and muddy after a rainfall though!). I had few problems finding my way around but the map I printed was helpful. Planting of a few more trees would improve to the challenge of the course and add to the natural beauty of an already stunning setting.
Other Thoughts: I think that courses with multiple pins should follow PA course Tyler St. Park's example- put a little rotating dial which indicates which position the pin is in. It can save some walking and guessing, especially when it comes to doglegs.

The Opposite of Alexander Park

5+    5/30/2009   6/30/2009
Review By: darktoaster
Pros: This course is my current favorite in all of Atlanta. The fun factor was completely off the charts for me and I can't wait to get back out there to play. I can't seem to stop thinking about all the fun holes there and how I would approach them the next time I get out there.

This course has an excellent variety of holes that will test all of the shots in your bag. It has right hooks, straight shots, left hooks, steep uphills, steep downhills, shots paralleling water, and shots across water.

The park is also very pretty in my opinion with nice rolling hills and mature hardwoods dotting the hillsides. It also has a beautiful lake in the center of it. Think Lenora but more scenic.

The holes that stand out in my mind as being my favorites are 8 and 16. Hole eight is an interesting shot that goes over a large gully with very penalizing shule at the bottom if you don't get all the way across it. Hole 16 is a fun shorter shot next to the lake that gives you an option of going right or left of a nearby tree. I enjoy going to the right of the tree with a big hyzer , flying over the lake and landing under the tree shading the basket. This route leads to some excitement due to the chance of skip aces.

There were also a couple of interesting pin locations that kept us nervous when putting because they were on steep hillsides or in close proximity to water.

Additionally the course sits in an otherwise unused section of the park other than the playground near tee 1. We saw almost no traffic on the course other than 1 or two fishermen who seemed interested in what we were doing. Two of them even finished out the round with us using borrowed discs and said that they were going to try and get some of their own.
Cons: The major con of this course is that it is missing all of the nice accessories. It only has dirt teepads, no tee signs, and not much in the way of next tees signs.

One other negative I had the first time I went but after one round goes away is that many of the tee shots are blind, which forced us to walk halfway down the hole to find the basket. This was especially true because there are no tee signs.

The only real holes that I could have done without are 7 and 18 which just seemed to be put in to complete the course. Both are relatively straight, open, and short.
Other Thoughts: This course is excellent if you are looking for a varied and interesting round of disc golf however is definitely not the place for you if you prefer a course with nice amenities. If this course had concrete tees and tee signs I would have rated it a 5. Hopefully as it matures I will be able to come back to this review and up the score.

I highly recommend that you all make the drive out to Dallas to check this one out. I don't think that you will be disappointed.

Most fun I've ever had on a course

1    6/24/2009   6/30/2009
Review By: gcrussell4
Pros: This course is honestly some of the most fun that I have ever had playing DG. I came on a beautiful day and was lucky enough to run into a local who played with my wife and I. The majority of the course is set in these beautiful rolling hills with some strategically located trees throughout. Other parts of the course go through more densely wooded sections and over and around a lake. The tees and pin locations were outstanding. The combinations of tee to pin included several uphill throws, several downhill, and (my favorite) several where you would throw from the top of one hill/ridge to another one over a deep valley. When I played the course was in pristine shape, green, mowed, and picturesque. The pin positions almost all had the added challenge of being on sloped ground which made each putt feel very important. If you miss who knows how far it could roll down the hill. This is a great course because the design is great, and I guarantee you will love it.
Cons: The course currently has the tees marked with just posts sticking out of the ground. No tee signs, no concrete tees, but there are scorecards with distances (most of which seemed fairly accurate).
Other Thoughts: I know that the lack of complete development of the course (tee signs, boxes, etc.) is a bit of a drawback, but really is DG more about the quality of the signs or the quality of the golf? If you are looking for good quality disc golf, I could not recommend any course higher than White Oak Park. I guarantee that I will be back anytime that I am even moderately close.