Dallas, GA
White Oak Park Share
Uploaded By: whalaw Hole #14 (Taken 11/2009)
Hole #14 Approach

Newbie Likes the Forgiving Fairways

2-4    11/14/2009   11/14/2009
Review By: Patsfan140
Pros: I love the forgiving fairways. The up and down walking gives me plenty of exercise while walking the mile plus linear distance. I still don't have the confidence to throw over the water at 17 but 16 is a lot of fun coming down to the water. I love the 2 holes in the woods! Coming down on 11 (I think) is fun and challenging for me.
Cons: I am still am too new to know what the cons are.
Other Thoughts: Lots of open spaces and fresh air! Great way to spend an afternoon!

Has some dream holes

1    9/5/2009   9/8/2009
Review By: billnchristy
Pros: Some holes that you could only dream of.
Extreme elevation changes.
Secluded with the exception of the holes by the lake.
Baskets on the sides of the hills provide a challenge that might not be there otherwise.
Many good attempts to minimalize the rough terrain by putting simple bridges in place.
Amazing work for the little money that was given for the course.
Cons: Honestly I found it a little repetitive. The main challenge is the elevation and a lot of holes offered little more.
Some of the tees were very slippery, I think even gravel would be better than raw red clay.
Other Thoughts: I wish this course had some more variety to go along with some of the holes that you just want to empty your bag on. Those holes alone are worth playing a round and might even be worth coming back (thought at 60mi away it is a tough call). It is a great addition to the Atlanta courses because it fills a bit of a void. It is what Lenora could have been if it was as extreme...but therein lies the problem, if it were not so extreme, it would be Lenora...
8 and 10 are awesome,11 is spectacular, 17 is cool and 4 is as fun as it is frustrating...there is a lot to be offered here but I really wish the woods could've been used more or less blind shot over the enormous hill, down the enormous hill and across the valley to the middle of the next enormous hill shots.
I don't think there is any way to not get blasted for this review but I don't feel a course can be a 4 yet without any amenities. Everyone calls it a diamond in the rough...well the rough is what the review should be based on.

This really can be one of the premier courses in the area, it just isn't there yet.

If I could build a "best of Atlanta" course this one and ERP would probably hold the majority of the holes (of the ones I have played).

Diamond in the rough

1    8/14/2009   8/16/2009
Review By: forehandfranz
Pros: Remote countryside park where you really feel like you have the place to yourself. I only saw 4 other golfers on a summer evening! Rolling grassy slopes and large oak trees and a lake are the terrain here. Most of the rough borders the outer edge of the park and won't be a problem if you keep within the ample fairways. 16 of the holes are rather open, with a few trees peppered in, but the extreme elevation fills in the gap and adds that third dimension. Wow- are there some great holes here! Long and short tees on most holes accomodate different skill levels and rotating pin placements on many holes too. Other than holes 10 & 11 (which are extremely STEEP and woody) you'll be able to grip & rip through undulating hills. Some challenging pin placements too. My favorite hole was the one I scored a quad bogey 7 on - #17 which sits across the lake on a small peninsula. The great thing about this hole is that from the long tee you have risk/reward in which you can go for pin for bird or lay up early to "hope" for par- but your approach is guarded by trees in front and lake all around the pin! Fantastic stuff. Kinda reminds me of TPC Sawgrass # 17 island pin. Top notch restrooms and shelters here too.
Cons: This course is very new, so it has natural teepads and PVC pipes with numbers marking them. They were adequate for now (tees are probably really slick and muddy after a rainfall though!). I had few problems finding my way around but the map I printed was helpful. Planting of a few more trees would improve to the challenge of the course and add to the natural beauty of an already stunning setting.
Other Thoughts: I think that courses with multiple pins should follow PA course Tyler St. Park's example- put a little rotating dial which indicates which position the pin is in. It can save some walking and guessing, especially when it comes to doglegs.

The Opposite of Alexander Park

5+    5/30/2009   6/30/2009
Review By: darktoaster
Pros: This course is my current favorite in all of Atlanta. The fun factor was completely off the charts for me and I can't wait to get back out there to play. I can't seem to stop thinking about all the fun holes there and how I would approach them the next time I get out there.

This course has an excellent variety of holes that will test all of the shots in your bag. It has right hooks, straight shots, left hooks, steep uphills, steep downhills, shots paralleling water, and shots across water.

The park is also very pretty in my opinion with nice rolling hills and mature hardwoods dotting the hillsides. It also has a beautiful lake in the center of it. Think Lenora but more scenic.

The holes that stand out in my mind as being my favorites are 8 and 16. Hole eight is an interesting shot that goes over a large gully with very penalizing shule at the bottom if you don't get all the way across it. Hole 16 is a fun shorter shot next to the lake that gives you an option of going right or left of a nearby tree. I enjoy going to the right of the tree with a big hyzer , flying over the lake and landing under the tree shading the basket. This route leads to some excitement due to the chance of skip aces.

There were also a couple of interesting pin locations that kept us nervous when putting because they were on steep hillsides or in close proximity to water.

Additionally the course sits in an otherwise unused section of the park other than the playground near tee 1. We saw almost no traffic on the course other than 1 or two fishermen who seemed interested in what we were doing. Two of them even finished out the round with us using borrowed discs and said that they were going to try and get some of their own.
Cons: The major con of this course is that it is missing all of the nice accessories. It only has dirt teepads, no tee signs, and not much in the way of next tees signs.

One other negative I had the first time I went but after one round goes away is that many of the tee shots are blind, which forced us to walk halfway down the hole to find the basket. This was especially true because there are no tee signs.

The only real holes that I could have done without are 7 and 18 which just seemed to be put in to complete the course. Both are relatively straight, open, and short.
Other Thoughts: This course is excellent if you are looking for a varied and interesting round of disc golf however is definitely not the place for you if you prefer a course with nice amenities. If this course had concrete tees and tee signs I would have rated it a 5. Hopefully as it matures I will be able to come back to this review and up the score.

I highly recommend that you all make the drive out to Dallas to check this one out. I don't think that you will be disappointed.

Most fun I've ever had on a course

1    6/24/2009   6/30/2009
Review By: gcrussell4
Pros: This course is honestly some of the most fun that I have ever had playing DG. I came on a beautiful day and was lucky enough to run into a local who played with my wife and I. The majority of the course is set in these beautiful rolling hills with some strategically located trees throughout. Other parts of the course go through more densely wooded sections and over and around a lake. The tees and pin locations were outstanding. The combinations of tee to pin included several uphill throws, several downhill, and (my favorite) several where you would throw from the top of one hill/ridge to another one over a deep valley. When I played the course was in pristine shape, green, mowed, and picturesque. The pin positions almost all had the added challenge of being on sloped ground which made each putt feel very important. If you miss who knows how far it could roll down the hill. This is a great course because the design is great, and I guarantee you will love it.
Cons: The course currently has the tees marked with just posts sticking out of the ground. No tee signs, no concrete tees, but there are scorecards with distances (most of which seemed fairly accurate).
Other Thoughts: I know that the lack of complete development of the course (tee signs, boxes, etc.) is a bit of a drawback, but really is DG more about the quality of the signs or the quality of the golf? If you are looking for good quality disc golf, I could not recommend any course higher than White Oak Park. I guarantee that I will be back anytime that I am even moderately close.

Another must play if coming through Atlanta

2-4    5/31/2009   5/31/2009
Review By: jdawg24
Pros: White Oak has amazing topography, unique among all ATL area courses because it is so much hillier. Shots play up, down and along ridges that surround an inviting pond. Nice grass and large trees throughout park. Good mix of shots required and touch is a must on heavily sloped greens that add to the challenge. Excellent variety of hole types - long, short, left turning, right turning, narrow, wide open, and many with OB requiring shot planning. Strong finishing holes -- #13 thru 18 are my favorites on the course, especially # 14 (perfectly angled slope for long disc flight), #16 (shortish hole with multiple routes and OB water on right with left to right slope), #17 (penninsula hole, throwing over water with great risk/reward), and #18 - ace run to finish. #6 is also a great downhill hole where you can air it out.
Cons: Lots of blind holes. If playing for the first time, be ready to walk halfway up many of the fairways to catch a glimpse of the basket. I recommend playing with at least one other person and having spotters on several of the holes or you will lose discs....especially on #12 & 13. 13 = heavy shule right in the fairway, so a good shot will be land in thick waist high grass...we temporarily lost 2+ discs each round while playing today. Somebody is gonna get nailed on #9, this is a definite safety hazard.

Many of the holes seem like par 3.5....you aren't going to birdie it, but probably not going to bogey. Think holes that are 400' but play 520' due to elevation. You get a 3 unless you screw up an easy up shot. Seems like the scoring distribution would be very bunched; i think i've shot within 2 shots of the same score in playing 4 rounds here.

Lots of up and down -- you must be in decent shape to play this course or you will feel it. Dirt teepads & limited signage; but it is a brand new course.
Other Thoughts: I'd give this a 3.75 if there was one; compared to other ATL courses I like it as much as ERP, if not more. Very challenging course to play with a high fun factor due to long bomber downhill shots. This course is very long arm friendly and many of the current blue teepads seem more like hard gold teepads. My only real knock on this course would be all the blind holes...not friendly to solo play as you would likely lose a disc or spend the round constantly looking for it.

Will be interesting to see how the course wears in; could have massive erosion problems on some of the really steep holes (1,8,10,11) in a few years.

White Oak

1    5/7/2009   5/17/2009
Review By: warren1086
Pros: Wow this course has everything to offer. The terrain is unbelievable and well maintained. Most of the course plays on and off of hills, so you will have a lot of up and down hill shots. Play by and through some water which adds some fun yet risky challenges. Most holes are pretty open with some hardwoods coming into play. The wooded holes were pretty challenging with tight fairways and the elevation was pretty crazy/fun. I thought the course flowed very well, didn't have or need a map to navigate. Had to check for some baskets on occasion just b/c the hills. This course has short and long holes to test your arm/accuracy. This place was filled with beautiful wildlife everywhere I looked. This is one of the nicest and cleanest parks I have seen in the ATL area. Had clean bathrooms and pavilion by first tee. Course finishes up very close to where you started so you don't have to walk far after a long days work. And even though the course is very hilly I thought the designer did a great job at placing the tee pads/boxes on a flat piece of land.
Cons: Most tees were natural so if it rains it can be very slippery. I am sure this will be fixed sometime in the near future at least I hope so cuz this course is great. Could use some tee signs, no distances or maps so you better be good at judging your distances. Park was clean but it could use some trash cans when people figure out how awesome this course is. Also could use some benches cuz you will get tired after walking/hiking up the hills. I don't consider any of these to be serious cons b/c I'm sure they will be fixed soon.
Other Thoughts: I couldn't imagine having to maintain this course, I'm sure it is a nightmare, but whoever does it did a fantastic job. Don't wear sandals or you will be regretting it immediately, wear shoes cuz you will be doin some hiking. There is nothing about this that is less than satisfying for every disc golfer. Use all your discs/shots in your bag. And the wildlife was really cool. Saw a few discs in the water so BEWARE. I can not wait for this course to be discovered and tournaments to be played here, although it was nice to be able to throw multiple discs on some holes with no one waiting behind you. A MUST play if in the ATL area.

Hills, hills, hills!

5+    8/22/2010   4/23/2009
Review By: Lewis
This review was updated on 8/24/2011
Pros: Until I played this course, I thought the main obstacles on a disc golf course were trees and water. Now I know what a truly hilly layout can do, and wow do these hills ever do it! Bravo to the designers, not only for creative use of the terrain, but for giving us yet another flavor of disc golf within reach of Atlanta. This is also the perfect complement to Oregon Park, which is about a 15-20 minute drive away. This course is open enough and long enough to let you air out your drives, but complicated enough, due to the steep slopes and scattered hardwoods, to make you think before you throw. It is the only course around Atlanta that I know of that brings a pond into play on more than one hole, and it does a great job of it. There is a lot of land out there, and the designers took the opportunity to build both short and long tees on most holes. I believe there could be room for a third tee box in a lot of places if the designers wanted to add them.

Perhaps the best thing about this course is the variety of shots you'll have to use to navigate it successfully. There are shots here that you may not find anywhere else.
Cons: There are some boggy low places around the course that have band-aid walkways made of old wooden pallets and fallen branches, but I hope bridges will be built in time. Be careful walking on these, since they can be unstable.

I could wish the grass on the hillsides were better mowed, but the terrain certainly makes it hard to mow. It's more of a natural setback that's outweighed by the hillsides' positive qualities, but worth mentioning.

Smokers and children beware! This course is only playable for people of sound body. If you're not in fairly good shape, you'll be miserable if you even make it around this course. There are parts of this course that are steeper than most of the Appalachian Trail.
Other Thoughts: Bring your Blowfly or a similarly floppy putter. You just can't putt here with stiff plastic. #4 in particular would be totally hopeless.

A local said #12 had to be moved because a landowner adjacent to the park made a complaint. You'll find its tee near the #17 long tee, playing uphill away from the pond.

Come the summer I'm afraid this grassy course will be fly-infested, if not mosquito-infested, so be sure to bring repellent just in case, as well as sunscreen. There isn't much shade out there.

For beginners I recommend Oregon Park over White Oak. It's nearby and a much more forgiving course. For big arms, this is your spot.

Look up the Atlanta Disc Golf club's forums for a map of this course before you go try it out. It made navigation possible for me. It's also an hour's drive from Atlanta, so make sure you have a couple of extra hours available if you're coming from in town.

I played White Oak on a rather blustery day, and I suspect it may be like that here more often than elsewhere. If there's wind when you play, be mentally prepared for lots of bogeys.

1    4/11/2009   4/17/2009
Review By: jacobjw2
Pros: Elevation changes to your hearts content.
Very challenging even though its mostly wide open.
A variety of shots required to get next to the pin.
Just plain good looking course.
Cons: Would not bring a beginner due to EXTREME easy of losing discs down hills, in water, and after shots into unseen areas.
In the middle of nowhere it seemed.
When the pins can't be seen from the tee you either need a scout or just throw and hope you can see it from your second shot.
Other Thoughts: This is possibly the best course I have ever played. It was spacious and beautiful, a mix of good play and hiking. I had never been there before and WOW was I missing out. The elevation changes are on almost every hole. You start throwing down towards a pin, then over a hill for the next, then up and over for the third, and finally four puts you right down a steep grade with the pin just sitting in the middle. I loved the challenge. Each hole ended up being so different and it was very unexpected. 17 has a lake in play; in fact, your opening drive is over it. This seemed daunting at first, but once I was up to drive it was obvious that even mediocre players could get across in some fashion. I cannot wait to travel back.

Fun for everyone!

5+    3/13/2009   3/30/2009
Review By: hstokes
This review was updated on 4/6/2009
Pros: Beautiful terrain and a excellent variety of holes highlight this new course. You will use every shot in your bag. I disagree with those that say there are too many blind shots. 2, 4, 9 and 11 are blind and 13 is as well but only because of its length. The course is challenging but it isn't frustrating for beginners.
Cons: The only cons are things that will be fixed in time such as better course markers and concrete tee boxes.
Other Thoughts: With the hilly terrain some of the holes are fairly exposed and it can be windy!