Pine, CO
Phantom Falls Share
Uploaded By: filmwalrus Hole #4 (Taken 11/2010)
Hole #4 Signature "Basket"

It's ok...

1    6/21/2014   10/11/2014
Review By: JVonD
This review was updated on 10/12/2014
Pros: You have a private patio to use and being able to hangout there as you take breaks is nice. If you like going up and down on a hill side over and over then you'll love it.
Cons: The coarse is crammed onto a little piece of property so you are going back and forth around on a hill so it's hard on the feet, legs, and butt when slipping. No water shots unless there's a 100 year flood and only a couple vanity features. The dirt you walk on is real dry and you can easily slip out causing falls on sketchy features. Big roll outs can easily occur.
Other Thoughts: This review is in comparison to all courses I've played. I keep it real so I can't give any coarse a rating over a 3 that doesn't have water features, and other unique features I'd expect, etc... So this course is on the very low end of the scale when it comes to the mountain courses. I don't recommend it. Plus the "customary" donation seems pretty mandatory which is kind of a turn off.

Date: 10/12/2014 Designer Response by: paulrothley@msn.com
All players are fully briefed on the "executive", and exclusive nature of this course, the physically demanding nature of the course, the time commitment that is involved in playing 39 holes of DG, and what the customary donation is while making their mandatory tee-time. If you are not a fan of courses that survive on customary donations, and don't care for accuracy based, risk/reward, fun factor rich courses, this is not the place for you.

For an accurate account of what you can expect at Phantom Falls, click the trusted reviewers only box above. For a solid reference, there are 16 trusted reviewers who have rated PF, and the average TR score is 4.53.

Side note: I was rather disappointed in this rating at first, and then I noticed that this reviewer gave Beaver Ranch DGC a 2.5, and he/she can't spell rating or course (below). This may have brought his/her credibility into question just a tad?? I don't know - you decide?
P.S. We were on a family vacation on June 21st, so this reviewer is either lying about playing, or making up "play" dates.
P.S.S. What is a vanity feature?

JVonD - Other Thoughts: "I keep it real so I can't give any coarse a ratting over a 3 that doesn't have water features, and other features I'd expect, etc… So this coarse is on the very low end of the scale when it comes to the mountain coarses."

Most Overrated Course in CO

1    7/10/2013   8/1/2013
Review By: blazo
This review was updated on 5/21/2014
Pros: This is a pretty sweet backyard course. I'd trade backyards with Paulie any day! It's challenging, and there's an awesome wood basket on hole 1, which is also used for several other holes. Paulie gives you the course to yourself all day and takes care of the course really nicely.
Cons: 20 bucks is a lot, relative to any other dg course...all very short and technical, although some of the short holes have steep hills so they play long. Super Repetitive. I was ready to go after 18. Should have left and played Bailey. There was nothing epic about this course aside from the wooden basket. No live trees were cut down for the course, which is a cool idea, but there is so much more to disc golf than what is offered here in these tight little shots.
Other Thoughts: I have no personal issues with Paulie or the course...but I have played well over 100 courses and to see this as the number one rated course in Colorado just blows my mind! Overall, this course just does not suit the way I like to play or watch disc golf. I really really do not understand the hype behind this one. Bailey DGC is like 10 minutes away, that course is unbelievable, as is Beaver Ranch...

UPDATE 5/20/14 - The course designer just posted a response to my review, basically saying he doesn't agree with it (no surprise there) and goes on to infer I don't know what I'm talking about. I will reiterate here this is nothing personal against Paulie, he might be a great guy...but I have to say there is something sketchy about this course's dgcoursereview ratings. Paulie asked us of we'd heard of the site before we played. We told him we knew all about it, and he changed the topic. My guess is he was getting a read on us to see if we were good targets for his next "please give my course five stars" pitch. I knew within minutes that Paulie was a natural salesman, just took me a while to put the pieces together regarding these reviews. He is selling his kia like it's a rolls royce and it seems to be working.

This is not the Ritz (as Paulie claims in his response), it's a taco shack in the backyard of the Ritz. I stand behind my review and score of this course. I felt it an obligation to other disc golfers to write this review in the first place, as I was completely misled by the dgcoursereview reviews. I take no pleasure in slamming someone's pride and joy, just sharing my experience. Nothing personal Paulie, I just think your course is the most overrated one I've ever played. That being said, you've done a great job recruiting all the positive reviewers ;-)

Also - 39 holes? With this math, I have 9999999999999 holes in my backyard (just one basket though)...

Date: 5/20/2014 Designer Response by: paulrothley@msn.com
All players are fully briefed on the "executive", and exclusive nature of this course, the time commitment that is involved in playing 39 holes of DG, and what the customary donation is while making their mandatory tee-time. If you are not a fan of courses that survive on customary donations, and don't care for accuracy based, risk / reward, fun factor rich courses, this is not the place for you.

The above reviewer is right in that Beaver Ranch, and Bailey are very good alternatives for those who like the much longer, more wide open, pro style courses. I disagree with the above reviewer in that it is justifiable to give such a high quality DGC a 2 disc rating just because it is not his style of DG. The beginner, and intermediate players deserve a high quality experience, offering them some level of success also. After all, course variety is one of the things that make our sport great, and you grow any sport from the ground up, catering to kids, women and beginners, they are the future of our sport.

For an accurate account of what you can expect at PF just look at the DIAMOND level members experience/review below, or click the trusted reviewers only box above. For a solid reference, there are 14 trusted reviewers who have rated PF and the average TR score is 4.54.