Pine, CO
Phantom Falls Share
Uploaded By: filmwalrus Hole #10L (Taken 11/2010)
Baskets #10A and #10B from tee: 10B is about at a higher elevation and about twice the distance.

Most Overrated Course in CO

1    7/10/2013   8/1/2013
Review By: blazo
This review was updated on 5/21/2014
Pros: This is a pretty sweet backyard course. I'd trade backyards with Paulie any day! It's challenging, and there's an awesome wood basket on hole 1, which is also used for several other holes. Paulie gives you the course to yourself all day and takes care of the course really nicely.
Cons: 20 bucks is a lot, relative to any other dg course...all very short and technical, although some of the short holes have steep hills so they play long. Super Repetitive. I was ready to go after 18. Should have left and played Bailey. There was nothing epic about this course aside from the wooden basket. No live trees were cut down for the course, which is a cool idea, but there is so much more to disc golf than what is offered here in these tight little shots.
Other Thoughts: I have no personal issues with Paulie or the course...but I have played well over 100 courses and to see this as the number one rated course in Colorado just blows my mind! Overall, this course just does not suit the way I like to play or watch disc golf. I really really do not understand the hype behind this one. Bailey DGC is like 10 minutes away, that course is unbelievable, as is Beaver Ranch...

UPDATE 5/20/14 - The course designer just posted a response to my review, basically saying he doesn't agree with it (no surprise there) and goes on to infer I don't know what I'm talking about. I will reiterate here this is nothing personal against Paulie, he might be a great guy...but I have to say there is something sketchy about this course's dgcoursereview ratings. Paulie asked us of we'd heard of the site before we played. We told him we knew all about it, and he changed the topic. My guess is he was getting a read on us to see if we were good targets for his next "please give my course five stars" pitch. I knew within minutes that Paulie was a natural salesman, just took me a while to put the pieces together regarding these reviews. He is selling his kia like it's a rolls royce and it seems to be working.

This is not the Ritz (as Paulie claims in his response), it's a taco shack in the backyard of the Ritz. I stand behind my review and score of this course. I felt it an obligation to other disc golfers to write this review in the first place, as I was completely misled by the dgcoursereview reviews. I take no pleasure in slamming someone's pride and joy, just sharing my experience. Nothing personal Paulie, I just think your course is the most overrated one I've ever played. That being said, you've done a great job recruiting all the positive reviewers ;-)

Also - 39 holes? With this math, I have 9999999999999 holes in my backyard (just one basket though)...

Date: 5/20/2014 Designer Response by: paulrothley@msn.com
All players are fully briefed on the "executive", and exclusive nature of this course, the time commitment that is involved in playing 39 holes of DG, and what the customary donation is while making their mandatory tee-time. If you are not a fan of courses that survive on customary donations, and don't care for accuracy based, risk / reward, fun factor rich courses, this is not the place for you.

The above reviewer is right in that Beaver Ranch, and Bailey are very good alternatives for those who like the much longer, more wide open, pro style courses. I disagree with the above reviewer in that it is justifiable to give such a high quality DGC a 2 disc rating just because it is not his style of DG. The beginner, and intermediate players deserve a high quality experience, offering them some level of success also. After all, course variety is one of the things that make our sport great, and you grow any sport from the ground up, catering to kids, women and beginners, they are the future of our sport.

For an accurate account of what you can expect at PF just look at the DIAMOND level members experience/review below, or click the trusted reviewers only box above. For a solid reference, there are 14 trusted reviewers who have rated PF and the average TR score is 4.54.