Pine, CO
Phantom Falls Share
Uploaded By: filmwalrus Hole #4 (Taken 11/2010)
Hole #4 Signature "Basket"

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 15

2-4    9/9/2012   9/12/2012
Review By: clos33
Pros: To me this course captures what disc golf is about. It's about having a great time with friends and family, enjoying the beautiful outdoors, while getting exercise and this course will give you all of those things. It starts with an amazing host in Paulie, and amazing course design, and a wonderful atmosphere, beautiful environment, and the whole course to yourself. There is an amazing disc golf culture in this part of the state and its only getting better!
Cons: Nothing really! I will admit I payed 10 dollars for the round last year, so to see the 20 dollar price tag this year was a little bit of a shock, but it took me about 1.5 holes to realize that this course is worth every penny!
Other Thoughts: I am sure there are a lot more people involved but Paulie and Rudy are doing some amazing things in the Pine/Conifer/Baily areas. All the courses are amazing and they have a true passion for disc golf and growing the sport. Including creating areas for younger children to get involved in the sport. I look at the price on this course and the other courses as a way to keep things moving in the right direction up in this area since they are truely passionate about the sport. Not to mention the courses are amazing and what disc golf should be about.

awesome course

2-4    8/5/2012   8/29/2012
Review By: killabees36
Pros: private course
friendly owner
sweet placements for record drives including "best drive ever" and "best drive of the year"
Cons: 20$ is steep for a day of dg on any course, price could drop for sure and i would exactly see myself playing this course more than a couple times because it is so expensive...

1    8/15/2012   8/16/2012
Review By: bobmcnelly
Pros: Amazing course! Paul the owner the is a great guy and is very welcoming. He offers lots of food and drinks, for a price. Theres 38 shots on this course so theres quite a variety. Lots of great technical shots, so many tree shots its an accuracy course for sure. Great terrain, almost impossible to loose a disc. A few homemade baskets that are great and add a nice flavor to the game. The course brings you back to Pauls house every 7 holes or so, so you can use the bathroom or get a drink. There are bench at every hole and the tees are dirt, but they are the best dirt tees I've ever used.
Cons: Theres some pretty steep, loose parts of the course where some stairs or down ladder type thing would be nice for a $20 course.
Other Thoughts: The best course I've played thus far in my short disc golf career.

geofflaw

1    8/4/2012   8/8/2012
Review By: geofflaw
Pros: This course is one of the best courses there is. Im fairly new to the disc golf scene but this course is simply amazing. The setup was perfect and paulie is a wonderful host. Each hole is designed to test your skills as a disc golfer. i honestly feel i improved my game just by playing this course. I highly recommend this course to anyone who is an avid disc golf player/fan or whos looking for a great challenge. I will definitely be going back to play again.
Cons: None. The course and paulie are simply amazing
Other Thoughts: If your not used to the elevation in those parts you should come prepared to have your butt kicked. It's a very hilly course and at a pretty decent altitude.

Ace Race 2012!

1    8/4/2012   8/4/2012
Review By: AndyJB
This review was updated on 8/6/2012
Pros: ---Paulie is an AMAZING host who lives, eats and sleeps disc golf. You can feel his love of the game when he talks. It helps he lives in a golfers paradise!
---Every hole is well thought out with perfect baskets, teepads and beautiful rock tee signs.
---We played 38 (!) Holes for the ace race and every one was a true challenge. I cant wait to go back and really test myself by playing the full course.
---I grew up in Western Montana, lived 4 years on Oahu and now live in Colorado and even I was in awe of the beauty of this place. Absolute paradise.
---Amazing fellowship. THIS is what our sport is really all about!
---Fully stocked pro shop with nearly every concievable disc known to man, along with totally rad Phantom Falls gear.
Cons: ---None. Not to put too fine a point on it, but if you can find anything wrong with this place, maybe you don't deserve to enjoy it.
Other Thoughts: I cant get the smile off my face since playing here. And it was just an Ace Race! My friends and I will be back as soon as we can! You simply MUST play this course!

Definite Destination Course

1    7/18/2012   7/21/2012
Review By: Shuie
Pros: - The extensive run down that Paul gives you before you play(his caddy cheat sheet)
-Get the course all to yourself/group
- huge risk/reward here(absolutely loved this)
- elevation change galore
- the course flows very well
- Tons of shot shaping and shot selection
- some very brutal roll away greens
- very technical course requiring you to "hit your line"
- a pro shop on sight(Decent Selection)
- Drinks and snacks available
- Sweet players area to chill and relax at(you swing by here several times on your round)
Cons: - the teepads are crushed granite( would prefer concreate or rubber pads, but the granite is pretty good)
- hard course to get on as there is only one tee time a day.
Other Thoughts: Phantom Falls is an amazing disc golf experience!!!
with the course being private, having holes use the same basket and crossing fairways, I was a bit sceptical of how the course would play but, upon getting into it everything flowed very well and was surprised that every holes seemed to be different.
You can get your picture taken with the "PHANTOM FALLS BASKET"!!!! Really like this place, the course is so much fun, tons of chances to get an ace, if you can "hit the right line". Its a very cushy experience as you don't need to lug all your water, food, beer, and etc.. with you on the course as you swing back to the players area several times during your round. You also get customary beer sampling from upslope brewery in boulder with your customary donation.
ALL in all there is some awesome disc golf to be had at phantom falls and the surrounding area. I will, be back for sure.

phantom falls

2-4    7/17/2012   7/20/2012
Review By: dennytodd
Pros: Whats up people? If you're ever in Colorado and looking for an all day Discgolf tee time, Phantom Falls is the place to be. Me and two of my buddys took a Colorado discgolf trip and played six courses in 4 days and two of them being at Phantom Falls. When we first got there the first thing i noticed was my disc i had lost the day before at one of Paulie's other courses just sitting one his table out front. I told him that I lost it and he said he will have it waiting for me. Pretty bad ass. First of all, he came out to meet us full of energy and super stoked that we chose his place to play. After hanging out for a few minutes and shopping at his pro shop, he took us on about a 30 minute tutoral about the course. Everything from out of bounds to blind shots. there was no map needed. The course was very laid out with arrows and stone markers. We were even given a cheat sheet to help us out on some
holes. After we got hole 14 close to his patio, he brought us out lunch.(hotdogs and fruit) Then we got to hole 24 and it started to rain on us. No problem though. we just hiked up the hill to his awesome patio with couches and heaters and waited it out. There are 38 holes on this course. the last 10 are brutal. Up an d down about 4 times. recomended break time at about hole 26.The first 15 holes are fun as hell with a few ace runs. My buddy hit his first one on hole 8. If you're looking for a full day of golf and fun, this is the place to be. Every hole is a par 3. One mando hole and only two spots that are O.B. When we were finishing up the 9 hole mini(which is alot of fun) Paulie brought us out a couple of local beers.
Cons: I really don"t have any except for the fact I"m from Texas and it was a bit hard catching my breath at
moments. Bring a can of oxygen if you're not used to the altitude.
Other Thoughts: We are already planning our next trip to go up there again. Thanks Paulie. Great job dude.

Badassness

1    5/30/2012   6/20/2012
Review By: culinarywiz
Pros: First and foremost, I must give proper credit to Paulie. This cat has it goin' on. He has a pinpoint view of what the future of DG has in store for those willing to venture out seeking excellence in our sport. He knows his course inside and out. Before we began, he spent a solid 40 minutes breaking down each and every aspect of the course that was or could be a highlight or concern for any level player. Trust me, he covered all the bases. As a result, we rocked the course our first time out, as if we had played it all year. He also gave us a "cheat sheet" that gave a one liner or brief paragraph on the key aspects of every hole.

I always harp on balance. This course is very well balanced. The evelation is what one would expect...a nice challenge. There are multiple lines to most pins. There is pretty much always an obvious fairway, but you can hit the basket as you choose. This course is not open by any means, but never did I feel constricted. The length is ideal for the average player. Cannons will wish there were more bomb shots but newbs wont get discouraged or overwhealmed. This is the kind of layout meant to keep everyone in the group on the same page.

The pin placements were sweet. If you are not a fan of rollaway greens, you will be uncomfortable on many putts. These slopes can be treacherous. There are also a couple hanging baskets. There are only a couple blind pins and only one mando on the course. The mando is tight. Only 2 of our 5 made it through.

The course is challenging AND fair. One of the most notable issues I have with "top tier" courses is unfair holes. There should be some sort of rubric for what is acceptable in terms of width of fairway vs length. This course nails fairness. You will have to consider every shot. You will have to choose lines. At PF, good shots will be rewarded. If you are only slightly off, you will generally only be slightly off your target. Also, the rough is very forgiving. You should leave with all your plastic.

This course has multiple ace runs. What is more exciting than standing on an ace run tee looking out toward a hungry basket? There have been many aces at PF. Each ace is recorded. Paulie has two marker discs on each hole. One marks the best drive of the year. The other marks the best drive ever. This is good stuff. Many markers were in the baskets. Many markers were beatable. The gnomes you may have read about in older reviews have been retired in favor of these disc markers.

There is only one tee time. 9:00am baby. The course is yours and yours alone all day. ALL DAY. The cabin has a kick ass chill zone for snacking and taking time to reflect and take in the entire experience. We chilled out here multiple times. We tee'd off hole one around 10am and finished the last hole at 5:30pm.

38 holes. Booyaa!

Once you finish the main course, there is a sweet little 9 hole mini DGC. I thought very little of this upon arrival. It appeared to be a novelty that did not warrant my time. We had a ball playing this course. The mini baskets typically hang from tree limbs and the discs are understable as hell. This is "touch" DG. It is a stark change of pace. Good times.

The pro shop has a nice array of discs...makes, models, molds and plastics (rubber also Vibram and Ion). There are shirts, hoodies and various swag available. I picked up a Beaver Ranch Chrystal Buzzz and a PF Chrystal Challenger, along with a Nike, pro combat, PF shirt. All modestly priced.

Vibe. Groove. Cosmic pull. Whatever you call it. This place has it. Each tee was a hangout. Around hole 23 there was a sweet, hand crafted deck, worth spending some time on.
Cons: This is certainly not a tournament course. The fairways cross repeatedly. Also, the same basket is used for multiple tee's. I can't recall exactly, but there are around 29 baskets for this 38 hole layout.

The flow of the course is quite nice, but expect the heavy workout to hit you toward the end. The last 10 holes are pretty much directly up, down, up, down. The first 2/3rds of the course winds you around so the elevation is tempered quite a bit. The back holes will wear you out. Personally, I had no issue whatsoever, but the change was noticed by everyone.
Other Thoughts: This course was badass. Was it the most challenging course I have played? Not even close. Was it one of the most fun? Hell yea! Fun and good times is what this place is all about. By the time we finished the mini course, we had been there 10 hours...and every minute was full. Thanx again to Paulie for making this disc golf resort a reality.

After reading some reviews before going, I planned a trip to Zokas afterward. This was a good call. I had a great time there as well. Kurt and Karen, the owners and disc golf veterans, are clearly good folks and hospitable hosts. This entire area is passionate about disc golf. I will be back. Hell, I plan to move here.

Epic

1    5/2/2012   5/4/2012
Review By: scc.
Pros: -Amazingly designed course that you have entirely to yourself.
-38 challenging holes
-Very well marked, never any confusion in finding your way or seeing where each basket is located
-Owner/creator Paul is great and can help you out with any problems/needs. He has a great proshop and food/drink offerings.
Cons: no cons
Other Thoughts: I am usually not a person to leave reviews but this course will forever stick out to me. My friends and I were skeptical about paying money to play Frisbee golf but this experience was totally worth the small donation and I would go back in a heartbeat. Very dedicated creator who continues to strive to improve his course. Check it out!

Best DG Day Ever.

2-4    4/3/2012   5/3/2012
Review By: Chiefstang
Pros: I'll try not to ramble, but this is the best day of Disc Golf you'll ever have. That's the biggest thing I want to emphasize. Some courses have fun, some are challenging, and occasionally there's a course that truly has it all. Phantom is that course in spades. It will take you all day to play, but it's a day you'll remember forever, so...
-Paulie. He's a phenominal host, and loves having people on his course. His OCD shines through on every hole, and this course is his baby. He'll play a few holes with you, give you a "cheat sheet" offer refreshments and make sure you need nothing. Thank you, Paul!
-The course is yours for the day. Empty your bag at every tee if you want.
-There's a nicely stocked pro shop at the house, and refreshments in a fridge on an honor system.
-The property is beautiful! You play on very aggressive terrain, and all the tee and pin placements are amazing every hole.
-Every tee pad is a hangout spot. There are benches made of old snowboards, garbage cans, bag hangers made of ski binders, and unique signage at every tee. Many have wooden decks, lounge chairs, or handcrafted furniture. VERY cool. The landscaping throughout the course is a testament to the hours Paulie has into this monster.
-The baskets! In addition to a mix of standard baskets, this course has several signature baskets including: The Aspen Basket, the Frankenbasket, the Wind Chimes, and a hanging basket.
-Navigation is great! Paulie has flagstones with arrows pointing you straight to the next hole, and even marking basket locations on blind holes. You will never be lost.
-Shot variety. Don't let anyone tell you not to bring drivers. There are plenty of short accuracy holes, but there's some bigguns too. Plus, that 300' hole looks alot bigger when you're going straight up a mountain. You'll need a full bag for all the shot shaping, but should take it all home. There's almost no risk of losing a disc, but Paul keeps a lost and found in the pro shop.
-40 holes. You will need 5-6 hours to play the course, but it loops back to the house every 7 holes or so. You can keep a big cooler in the car and restock as you need. It's an all day gig.
-Signature holes everywhere! You will be glad you have the place to yourselves, because there are a ton of holes you'll want to throw multiple times on.
-CTP markers at every hole. They're often garden gnomes, or statues and your name is recorded if you beat one. Good times.
-There's a new mini course as well. Paulie has minis you can borrow, and it's a fun way to unwind after the round. This place has it all!
-It's also right up the road from Beaver Ranch, another top ten course. If you're a complete masochist, you could try and play them both in one day. Good luck with that.
Cons: None. Zero. But I'll offer advice instead:
-Wear hiking footwear. If you show up in Five Fingers, you will hate life for a day. It is a rugged hike, and I recommend hiking shoes of some sort. It's really part of the day, though and you will be tired by the end.
-Bring lots of water, especially if you're not used to the altitude. You will get very dehydrated in this air hiking up and down ravines. Bring more than you think you need.
-Bring a big cooler for snacks and such. You will be back at the car many times, so bring snacks, sandwiches, or whatever. You don't have to rough it on this mountain course!
-This is a pay to play course. It's not a con at all. By the third hole you see where every dollar goes. By the 40th hole, it's the best $20 you've ever spent. This should actually be in the pros...
-There is ABSOLUTELY NO SMOKING ON THE COURSE. You can smoke on the deck of the house, which you're at frequently. There was recently a fire here that claimed houses and lives, and the conditions are regularly dry. It's not personal, it's a safety issue. Don't do it.
Other Thoughts: I really think it should be called "Phantom Falls Disc Golf Resort". It's kinda like being the only ones in an amusement park all day. Thank you to Paulie for letting us on his property to enjoy his slice of disc golf heaven.
Phantom is a well designed course, that truly excels in the fun factor. There are lots of great courses, but there is only one Phantom Falls. Put it on your wishlist, and if it's already on your wishlist, get your butt out here and check it off!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 15