Pine, CO
Phantom Falls Share
Uploaded By: filmwalrus Hole #6 (Taken 11/2010)
Hole #6 Basket: The small statue of The Thinker marks the current closest throw to the pin. Paulie uses different markers for each hole.

1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
  Bring your boots!

5+    10/11/2009   11/12/2009
Review By: CAgup
Pros: It is the best course I've ever played. Every hole is a different challenge. I've been playing the course for over 5 years and everytime i come back Paulie has made more improvements. This last year he has really taken it to the next level. With all new baskets, benches at almost every tee (For a guy coming from sealevel i needed everyone) and improved tee boxes. And he is still working on it. A must play.
Cons: All he needs is a cart gal serving cold ones.
Other Thoughts: If you are within 300 miles of the place it is worth the effort. And if you can play with the owner your intertainment value doubles!

Fun in the mountains!

1    9/30/2009   10/9/2009
Review By: Invisible
Pros: This course has many challenging and interesting hole designs. There are many holes that the owner Paulie has really put a lot of time and money into making one of the best courses in Colorado. There are many holes that can be aced, but it is really technical due to the vast number of trees on this course. Not a course for the long armed player as most holes are reachable with a mid range shot. There is now a grill available for players to grill out on the lower deck of the house and the course comes back to the house often so that players can refresh when they need to. We brought a cooler of vitamine water and other snacks and we could have used some more refreshments as it was about a 4 hour day. We really loved the fact that Paulie only allows one group per day to play the course so we never felt rushed or pressed to move on to the next hole. Sometimes we took extra time to march down to a hole to see the best angle to shoot. A "cheat sheet" is provided to help new players to Phantom Falls with shot selection. Another fun aspect to the course is the "closest to the pin" rocks that tell you where the best shot was on each hole. If you are good enough to do better you can let Paulie know and he will mark it on the hole sign for future players to witness. Baskets are all in good shape and one even hangs from a tree. Hole one is a custom wooden basket that really gives Phantom Falls a "playin in the woods" feel. Love it!
Cons: By hole 25 you really start to feel fatigued. This is another challenge to the course. Lots of up and down. Don't go after a leg workout! Some of the launch pads are a little short.
Other Thoughts: Overall had a great time playing this course. We (three of us) showed up on an extremely windy day and we still had a blast. We enjoyed the course, talking with Paulie and the location. We will be back to play again.

1    8/31/2009   9/11/2009
Review By: danhyzer
Pros: So many to list, but the number one thing that stands out the most is all the love put back into the property to make the "GUEST" feel like someone special. Pauly is one of the most best hosts I've ever had the pleasure to meet. He has a little "cheat sheet" that will aid the first time player (or a player who might need a little reminder of how the course plays) to this goldmine of his. It was very helpfull not only to find each hole but also to consider what flight plan one might want to take. So many holes stand out. I really like that most of the basket postions we're on the hills edges. Risk and reward at it finest. One of the shortest holes (i believe it was hole 20) had me all confused (not that the cheet sheet wasn't helpfull. but it is a must birdie hole and you can just see the top of the basket from the tee pad. Go for it and go to far you will pay dearly (a lot of hole played this way, I feel very fortunate to shoot -3 blind). I eneded up playing it short for an easy par, but when in the box I was licking my chops for the birdie that is easily there for any skill level. and that another thing GREAT about this course is that it's not super long, and it's easy to navigate with "cheat sheet", but it's so challenging. Loved the waterfall holes, the wind chime hole (hope you don't change the holes using the wind chime, maybe if you have an official PDGA tournament. But the beauty of this game is that the wind is free and not only are the chimes sound pretty when struck but it also sounds nice when it's gently being blown by the wind. And the Aspen Basket you have near the house and at # 1 is simply the most best basket I've ever touched. (I hope the PDGA headquarters takes notice and purchases one of these special baskets for others to admire and cherrish). When playing these type of courses one needs to rest every so often, and why not take your time at every hole by resting, by sitting on some very unique benches (discarded ski boards). Another great thing about playing this course is the serenity that you have because Pauly only has one group playing each day. Believe you and me. your about as close to heaven when playing this DGc, and to have the whole course to yourself or with a small group of friends is another treat that shouldn't be under appreciated. I could go on and on as when I really pasionate about someting I tend to babble. I Love it all Pauly. You got it going on. God Bless you and your family.

Cons: if there is one thing that I would like to see change is.... a little longer tee pad. I have a bigger stride than most players and a little more runway would be more benificial to players like me.
But really the only other con I can think of is that I live in Ohio and not near Jefferson County, Colorado.
Other Thoughts: Whomever said Colorado gold rush is dry hasn't played this gem. Pauly is a great host. He has a young family and will only expect your most best behavior if you want to play the next hole (don't think that's to much to ask). All his efforts are now done on donation basis. if you have some extra cabbage and feel like donating to a great cause I wouldn't hesitate in giving a little extra when visiting this great DGC. I also suggest playing this course before you play Beaver Ranch in Conifer because they'res a great scenic route that one must take to appreciate this area even more (I firmly believe that from all my travels that dirt road that travels along the S. Platte River is one of my all time favorites). This route also goes by a restaurant (Zokas) that a local Disc Golfer owns and should you have the hungries, by all means stop in for a bite and or a brew.

Pack out what you pack in. That is a easy one as this is a treat to play and should be treated as such (As should any DGc anyone plays, but this course is special).

I wish the PDGA would loosen up on it's course standards and have a tournament at this course along with Beaver Ranch. Maybe it could be invitational only. But I can't stress this enough, this DGc is truly special and should be played. Pauly thank you so much for what your doing for other Disc golfers. Those directions you made for me on that 3lb board made it all the way home with me. I'll treasure it like one of my favorite discs that I have hanging on my wall of fame. Let me know if you ever have any discs made up. I really think the idea I gave you of the 2 discs (the bear claws and the skeleton course map on each disc) would be the most best money maker you could do with your dream and it would also be a great colector item as it would be 2 discs instead of one. So the collector would have to buy both discs.

I hope other gracious Disc Golfers graze your land and recieve the feeling that I got from playing Phantom Falls.

Next time when I'm in the area I hope we can play a round together.

Great Course

1    9/10/2009   9/10/2009
Review By: jflyer777
Pros: It is well layed out and fairly easy to navigate. Paul does a great job of explaining the layout before you start. The course is interesting in the fact that you have to navigate the trees.
Cons: none
Other Thoughts: Had a lot of fun.

Rocky Mtn Fun

2-4    8/14/2009   9/3/2009
Review By: all4nothing
Pros: Paul has really put his heart into the course and you can tell when you play it! The Course is amazing. There was 30 holes when we played of those 30 you do reuse some baskets, but even so there is not one hole that is the same as another. Perhaps my favorite thing with the course is that we had a guide to show us where and how to throw. That was invaluable to us as the course difficult. Another plus for the course is that the course yours for the day you can take as much time as you want. You don't even have to worry about someone having to play through your large group. This course has a great variety of challenges from the trees everywhere to the sloping mountain. There is even a good variety of pins/baskets throughout the course. One of my favorite holes has some chimes hanging from a bent tree. The fun is it could be an easy one or a challenging three. When we played the pads were very level and relatively large. On our second round Paul turned on some music at the house that we could hear at almost every hole and that is something that no other course I know of can say. This course is a true mountain course and is the epitome of Colorado disc golf.
Cons: I don't really have a con the only thing would be the course does take some time to play so if you were hoping to get a quick round in this is not the place to come.
Other Thoughts: Paul is a great guy and so was our guide. Call Paul before you plan on heading up to the course and it is yours for the day. He allowed us to bring food to bbq and then play the course again. The thing to remember is a course like this takes time to build so you need to respect it. Bring a cooler with water and other items and leave it at the car. You will come by the house four times while playing the course for a chance to refill and refresh. One thing to remember is that the course is in the mountains you will want to wear some good shoes for hiking because the entire course is on decomposed granite. The course is very secluded and peaceful and a great place to go and have a quiet relaxing day.

SWEET!!!

1    8/23/2009   8/26/2009
Review By: diggerbob
Pros: This is a dream course and property for that matter. Paul has this thing dialed in and the best part about it is that he keep working on it deligently to make it better. I cant wait to see it in five more years. If you live in the Denver area it is totally worth the drive. DO IT!!! As far as the course playability goes most of the holes you can find no problem, it is heavily wooded so you don't always get rewarded for a good throw. You have to get a littel tricky at times. Keep it low and keep your putts flat and you can keep it under control.

beautiful scenery

5+    6/24/2009   8/24/2009
Review By: wigwam
Pros: excellent hole layout, nice variety, excellent scenery, facility in top condition. I have played multiple times and it is always a treat.
Cons: none
Other Thoughts: this is a must play....I have played all over the state of colorado and this is my favorite....

Epic Day

1    8/17/2009   8/20/2009
Review By: Orderofone
Pros: Paul is the man. The course is difficult but not frustrating. Paul played a round with us and gave us pro-tips from the designer. You really can't beat the experience out here all by yourself with an experienced caddy.
Cons: The tee pads need to be leveled out some but as Paul said that will be happening very shortly.
Other Thoughts: Bring a cooler the course is designed to bring you past the house at several intervals to restock your bags with beer or water or whatever you might need!

mountain disc golf

1    8/14/2009   8/18/2009
Review By: turbosnail
Pros: Best course I've played so far. Great lay out. Can't tell that your shooting for a pin you already played. Going up and down the hill all day is a great work out.
Cons: Not many. New course players need a guide to get around but after that easy to fallow.
Other Thoughts: Played the course in the morning paulie let us bbq next to his place. Then played the course again. Talk about a exhausting day. But well worth it. Highly recomend playing this course.

First for a Flat-lander

1    7/1/2009   8/12/2009
Review By: G Bud
Pros: -Unique and novel targets and baskets (Love the Chimes!!!!)
-Challenging and creative Mountain Course.
-Great use of terrain
-Course well maintained. Great up keep! Thanks, Paul!!!! Great Job!!!
-Zoka's Restaurant & Bar is only a mile away in Pine Grove. (Hang a left and ask for Blackie)
Cons: -Good luck finding any. I couldn't, was having too much fun.
-Private Course - Tough to figure out the lay out & flow. Better be playing with someone who knows the course. Glad I was.
Other Thoughts: Phantom Falls was the first round of golf I ever played in the great state of Colorado. I was going to visit my friends in Pine and play massive amounts of golf of course. On the flight to Denver, I was reading an article in my Disc Golfer about these hand carved baskets at this course in Pine. I said, "Hey, I'm going to Pine." A few hours later I showed the article to my friend and he said, "Let's Go!" Boy, did Kurt & Paul show this Flat-lander a great mountain course. What a great time!! Like Grandma says, "If you don't have a good time, it's your own fault." A must play course if you are in the area. After 30 holes of mountain golf, a Zoka's Burger & an IPA are a must.

1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15