Pine, CO
Phantom Falls Share
Uploaded By: filmwalrus Hole #6 (Taken 11/2010)
Hole #6 Tee Area

1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
  B5280high Review

5+    5/17/2009   7/18/2009
Review By: B5280high
Pros: Great, challenging course! Quite a few hills and holes with little margin for error. Views are spetacular and beautiful, but this is a course for true players!
Cons: You're gonna pay for bad shots on some holes....not for the weak of heart!
Other Thoughts: Unique course and worth the drive!

Up and Down and Back Up Again - Prepare to Work for it.

1    7/7/2009   7/9/2009
Review By: srm_520
This review was updated on 3/28/2010
Pros: 30 holes. Let me say that again - 30 holes over rugged, rough, and drastically elevated terrain in the Colorado Rockies. Need I say more? Due yourself a favor and get your calves in shape because even the fittest person will be sucking wind by the end of your day at around 8000 feet.

This is a well kept privately owned course that features a great host and good people in the area who like to play. Since the course owner couldn't be out that show us the winding holes, he went to the trouble to make sure we had a guide in place to lead us around and give us the ins and outs of every hole and pin location.

Have I mentioned the homemade Aspen baskets that aren't given their full justice in the pictures posted here? Yes, they are that awesome, and are truly works of art. There are two of these pins on the course, with one serving as a signature start to hole one. This was known as the money hole, since people were giving to a cash pool for aces, but our guide told us someone won and it isn't really done anymore.

A few other cool notables are the tee signs and the CTP rocks. The tee signs are flagstone, and are going to be redone to give each hole a more professional look. They are currently marked with sidewalk chalk. There are also CTP (closest to pin) rocks at every hole. Some are sitting in the baskets to indicate the ace, but others sit up to 50 feet away. I had the privilege of moving the CTP rock at hole #7 after an amazing drive that was parked about 10' from the pin. It's just another cool feature that you can't find at a public course.

BEST HOLE/S: #1, #29
Cons: It took our group of six four hours to complete the course. Admittedly, I like to sit back and enjoy a good course, but four hours was even pushing it for me. Granted there were six people, and four playing for the first time, but just keep in mind this course is not quick.

There is a voluntary donation of $10 to play the course, which is more than any other course I've ever played, but I don't know if this is a con as much as a mention to make future players aware. Plus, I gave a few bucks to our guide for showing us a good time, so just be prepared to spend some money.

Also, this may or may not be a con depending on your viewpoint, but there are not 30 pins. With around 20 pins, many holes double back towards the house even though each hole still maintains a unique look. Plus, I'll admit it, sometimes things started to blend together and I was glad to be done in the end. I would certainly play this course again if I was ever out in the area, but you will earn your stripes out here.

WORST HOLE/S: #11
Other Thoughts: Phantom Falls plays an amazing and quite clever array of holes on a fairly tight piece of land. Mike, our guide, thought it was about 7 acres, which is amazing considering you have 30 holes and 20 pins - two of which are chime pins and one hanging basket. The clever part is how the course plays back and forth on itself throwing to some pins up to three times. There isn't a congestion issue being a privately owned course where our group was the only ones on the mountainside the entire day. Although throwing to the same pin would typically be a negative of most courses, Paulie has cleverly designed the course to give each hole a unique look with different looks at a pin you may have just shot at four holes earlier.

I always have much love and admiration for any person striving to design, build, and maintain a quality private course. As with my previous experiences on private courses there is a unique feel that simply can't be attained by a public course. Couple that with great hosts with a love for the game, and you have a winning combination. I felt good donating money to help Phantom Falls grow, improve, and expand on this already impressive piece of property. I have played many of what I would consider "sister" courses, but the combo of Phantom Falls and Beaver Ranch in Conifer just seven miles away make this the best one two punch yet. Anyone visiting the Denver area owes it to themselves to make a trip up in these mountains, since it may be one of the best disc golf experiences you'll ever have.

Hike/Disc

1    6/24/2009   6/29/2009
Review By: Sectorado
Pros: Nice retreat from the city, but not super far from Denver, cool pine baskets and chimes and hanging basket, variety of shots and elevation changes
Cons: A bad bounce or landing can lead to your disc rolling down the hill a long ways
Other Thoughts: Some tees play to the same basket, but wasn't a problem since we were the only ones there, Paulie was helpful in laying out the hidden baskets for us, lots of up and down - can get tiring by the end, wear shoes with good traction, no sandals, closest to pin markers were a cool addition

Phantom Falls Rocks!

5+    5/18/2009   6/3/2009
Review By: discaholic
Pros: This course Rocks! The terrain is decomposing granite on the whole course. It has many elevation changes and uses this on most holes. The whole course is like a park with no slash on the course, no brush, no downed trees. You play under a canopy of pine trees the entire course. It has challenged me on more than one occasion. I have literally used every shot I can think of that is in my bag. I also have probably used every disc in my bag at times too. It is a real challenge for me to shoot a par, but it can be done. My best is -3. My best doubles round was with Wes Yusim this spring and we shot a course record of -14 I think. Always fun to play. Has phenominal weather in the winter. Is often the more playable than any other course in the Denver metro area.
Cons: There aren't many con's for this course. I would say the lack of the long footage shots could be a con. It does have 2 very long holes that were added this year which are very difficult to par. The layout doesn't allow for large groups of players due to playing back on some of the same baskets.
Other Thoughts: Be respectful of this course and the owner's wishes. He has put a lot of time, money, thought, and work into making this the best little secret in Pine, CO. Be sure to leave a generous donation if you can. Always call before hand to set up a tee time.

Phantastic Phantom Falls

2-4    5/24/2009   5/27/2009
Review By: fuman22
This review was updated on 5/27/2011
Pros: This really is a good puzzle of a course if you like the challenge of consistently throwing through tight trees for moderate distances with elevation changes. Its one of the few tight courses in the Front Range. The tightness makes each hole seem much longer, but I found myself grabbing for anything between my putter and Eagle for 95% of the shots. I'm predominately a right BH, but found myself throwing FH on a third of the holes. Strong FH will love this course.
Course layout is sufficient for returns to the parking lot for refreshment replenishment. All tee pads and holes are well marked and with some looking around and attention to your orientation, the course is easily navigated.
A couple chime and aspen baskets make for a different, but fun feel. Perched baskets with big penalties into steep gullies make things interesting.
The owner Paulie is truly a gracious host and is thrilled to have courteous and enthused players tromping across his land.
Cons: There is very little that is bad or mediocre about this course, but I couldn't give it a higher score as it doesn't have and couldn't possibly have all the required elements to be rated much higher.

Throwing at the Falls

2-4    5/24/2009   5/25/2009
Review By: Headbabe
This review was updated on 5/26/2011
Pros: A great mountain course with a nice lay-out of 30 holes that will challenge every shot you have. We had a foursome of all levels of player and we ended up staying to play a total of 69 holes. The $10 fee is nothing when you see the work being put into the course. If you throw disc in Colorado get out to Phantom Falls.
Cons: The course is in great shape, but I think it would be nice to see some path markers to keep people from tracking all over the course in places. I think those would keep future erosion issues down along with helping keep people from trampling native flora.
Other Thoughts: A classic Colorado mountain course and I am looking forward to playing it many times in the future.

great times

2-4    4/23/2009   5/19/2009
Review By: broxey
Pros: Amazing scenery. Very technical, Long shots through tight gaps. Ace runs/short shots. One of the coolest looking baskets by far you'll ever play on with the "money hole". Chime baskets for Ace possibilities.
Cons: Geez what a workout? Do some stretches cause your legs will burn after this monster... Other con: Not getting to play it again....
Other Thoughts: You can tell this is Paulie's baby. A lot of time, love and sweat has gone into this course making is truley special and a must play even if your 16 hours away :). Id love to have the chance to play this wonderful course again and maybe beat that first round score, and most importantly get on the "wall"...

great course

1    5/14/2009   5/16/2009
Review By: shmizzak
Pros: Not alot i can say that has'nt been said about this course.. its simply great. good variety of awsome shots. you know how some holes just make ya want to throw again and again to empty your bag, most of the holes here are like that. lots of aceable runs
easy to navigate course with the pointing stones. looks like there are going to be some real nice signage when he gets finished

Cons: a workout for sure take plenty of water and snacks. a little higher than others with a 10$ pay to play but still worth it for a long trip such as ours. {fromKC} might be pricy for locals to play regularly though.
Other Thoughts: deffinately coming back

2-4    3/8/2009   4/19/2009
Review By: PineBasketBuilder
This review was updated on 5/26/2011
Pros: If you want a laid back pristine walk in the woods while throwing a challenging course, this is it. Great course without any dead fall, underbrush or piles of branches to navigate through (which is hard to find in the mountains) good clean course. Log/Railroad tie tee boxes provide great footing for shots which need to be perfect on this tight course with many narrow lanes. Relatively short course with only a few 300+ holes but very cool pin placements on hillsides, hilltops, ledges and openings make precise shots critical. Short holes provide many ACE possibilities. Some good variety in baskets DB-5, Discatcher and Aspen log baskets that add great character to the course and blend in to the mountain surroundings.
Cons: No water on the course creek, pond , lake or other spot to drown a disc, not necessarily a bad thing. Some of the final holes have definate double bogey possibilities, long, tight downhill, but played a few times and you'll learn to make safe shot instead of going for pin which could be disasterous. Private course, so call before throwing.
Other Thoughts: Tough course to shoot par on. Better make your birdies early and when you have a chance because last holes are a challenge to shoot par on. Only a few bogey free rounds ever on this course. Call to play and chances are you'll have the place to yourself, remember - Respect the People. Lots of great improvements constantly happening at PF, making this a great place to spend a day.

Phantom Falls Kicked my butt

1    3/7/2009   3/14/2009
Review By: HRPufinstuf
This review was updated on 3/10/2011
Pros: Eat your Wheaties! After playing this course I felt like I had been on the set of Roller Ball. I was beat - and I loved it. Very different experience from Beaver Ranch - still a mountain course and lots of trees but more technical, tight and unforgiving layouts. Although you double back on several holes - playing the same basket from different Tee's - each hole "feels" very different - it truly is 28 different holes. Most holes offer you a few options for attack - choose well. Its important to know your strengths and limitations as your margin for error is slight here.

The directional rocks on the ground help alot - so its relatively easy to follow. You can tell a lot of love of the game went into this course. The owner Paulie loves the game, is rightfully proud of this course and it all shows. A lot of work has gone into this place recently. If you play any course along 285 this has to be one of them.
Cons: Every hole is technical making it as exhausting mentally as it is physically. But they are holes you want to take on - again and again.
Other Thoughts: A lot of work and love has gone into this course recently and you can tell. The improvements on this course are never-ending. Since I last played, there are 10 new benches, 4 new holes, 4 new hole designs, 6 "new" tee boxes, trash-cans at every hole. If I wait another few months there will be even more to report.

1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15