Pine, CO
Phantom Falls Share
Uploaded By: filmwalrus Hole #32 (Taken 11/2010)
-- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #30 Tee: Steep uphill towards playground.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 15
 Most fun you can have...

1    9/22/2011   9/22/2011
Review By: ChrisWoj
Pros: The owner of Phantom Falls, Paul, has thought of everything. I played the entire course - and felt like no stone was left un-turned (in terms of routes, information available to the player, routes to the basket properly cut, etc.).

The course has a very private and exclusive feel - by virtue of the fact that there are only three tee-times per day. At the same time it is a very home-like feel - as Paul treats everyone with a great deal of respect, and courtesy. He was fantastic. I can't stress that enough.

On to the course itself. It had an incredible amount of shot variety. I used virtually every shot in my bag on the course. There was constant elevation in play - I can not remember a single hole that I could describe as anywhere near "flat." We were up, down, and side-hill. There was risk reward in play on virtually every basket.

There were no unfairways. Every single hole had an option that required true skill off of the tree. At first glance - a few of them appeared to be unfair, however upon backing up - they all had a fair play option.

Every player received some great instruction right off of the bat - Paul spends about 15 minutes with you out of the car going over a few of the blind holes (with all of those baskets on a small piece of land - this was necessary). He also hands you a laminated cheat sheet - which tells you where the trouble is on the course (deep left, short right, etc.).
Cons: There were some cons to this course. I want everyone to understand that these need to be taken with a grain of salt - because this is a private course, with 3 tee times per day, on a limited size piece of land each of these is a rather small nit to pick. But they do exist.

You will encounter crossed fairways on the course. You will encounter holes that absolutely require that cheat sheet to figure out just which one of the baskets you can see you're playing to. On one occasion (moving from hole 15 to hole 16) you will need to carefully pay attention to which signs you follow (there are signs pointing you too 16's basket, and signs pointing you to its tee - they all simply have an arrow and "16" on them).

Some of the baskets are rough. The first basket you encounter - which is a true and fantastic work of art as well as a thing of beauty - does have heavy and reflexive chains. The last hole on the course has a very small catching area. And the wind chime on 4 - while a true part of the spirit of the course and an homage to its origins - is obviously not a basket.

Finally - there's the fact that there is a paved major road in play on a few holes. It is very difficult to reach, but it was reached multiple times on drives that rolled by myself and my playing partner. Be very careful both going up and down the hill to it, and have someone keep an eye out for cars tearing around the bend nearby (Paul made us fully aware of all of this, and it only comes into play a few times).
Other Thoughts: I want to make it incredibly clear that those cons are not anything that make me think less of the course. I gave it a rating of "Phenomenal." If I lived in the Denver area I would be playing it on a bi-monthly basis at least. I loved it, Paul is an incredible host (the chili for lunch, and all of the various amenities go above and beyond fantastic).

The only reason for those cons - is because they are things you need to be aware of going into playing the course. Paul makes you very aware of them before you throw your first shot - as I said he has covered every detail.

The reason this course is not a 5.0 is fairly simple: The lack of property space. Paul has created a 5.0 level course in terms of design, amenities, and care on a piece of land that is a 3.5 or a 4.0 based on the amount of space available. He is doing everything he can to create a place that is absolutely the most fun someone can have playing disc golf. And I appreciate it.

1    8/4/2011   9/11/2011
Review By: b will
Pros: Incredible course situated in beautiful terrain. Great hole locations that provided a ton of variety. Never a dull hole, had an absolute blast playing the course. Loved hiking around to different holes, great exercise and amazing disc golf!
Cons: None I can think of. It's that good.
Other Thoughts: Can't wait to come back!

A Fun Filled Unique Experience!!!

1    8/14/2011   8/21/2011
Review By: Gloria Bill
Pros: We started our day out with Paul, the owner of the property and course...The only course we've EVER heard of where you need a Tee Time!!! He gave us a run down and history of the course and a hole by hole discription and a lot of instructions, which were VERY helpful....He also gave us a cheat sheet, which was VERY helpful on tips for each hole and a score card.....We started out on #1 as usual, but what was unsual was the tee box was on Paul's patio! We all threw our drives to a wooden Pine basket especially made for Paul, he said it took the artist over 600 hrs to make....It was a WOW factor like so many things on this course.....Just about every hole is unique, #4 was my favorite, the only chime basket left....The course originally started out with ALL chime baskets.....The tee boxes are small, but workable and they all have rakes if you need to rearrange them....
Paul just built a new deck on #23 that is elevated which is another different twist.....
#10 and #11 have a short and long basket and my oldest Son got to do a CTP marker on #10S which means he got to benchmark his shot against all previous players, that was COOL!!!! After hole #13 Paul had a GREAT lunch ready for the 5 of us which was much needed and welcomed, he sure knows how to be a wonderful host!!! Paul calls the last 10 holes the dark side....We now know why LOL!!! It is straight up and down the steepest hills on his course....All the holes on the course are a par 3, but you wouldn't think so because of the elevation and down hill and if you over shot a hole your disc can roll a long way giving you a BIG score.....There are a lot of trees, but not so thick and solid green like so many other places so they are workable.....#5 is a neat hole, you have to (it's madatory) to shoot in between 2 trees....What a hoot, there are soooo many fun factors on this course its unreal!!!!! You can feel Paul's extra touches of love on each of the 35 holes, his pride shines through each and every one of them too, very clean and well taken care of course and property! A MUST TO EXPERIENCE FOR YOURSELF!!!
Cons: NO CONS: Just a course and place that is Beautiful and Breathtaking in more ways than
one!!!! After finishing this course I felt like I should have earned some sheep horns or something!!! Tons of exercise and a lot of tricky footing, so wear your BEST hiking boots!!! Theres nothing flat about it anywhere and plan on getting sweaty and dirty too!!! I feel like a Super Woman after this course and like I can play ANY course anywhere now!!!
Other Thoughts: We were told it would take us 6 hrs to play with lunch at the turn.....Paul said we were there 12 hrs and 15 minutes LOL!!!!, but we played an extra 14 holes, we had lunch, we had a rain delay and we shopped!!! Yes, make sure you bring lots of CASH as that is what you pay EVERYTHING with......Paul has a GREAT well stocked Pro Shop with Logo Disc's and a wide range of other things including snacks and drinks......The highlight of the day was that we got the pleasure of playing the last 9 holes with Paul a SUPER GREAT guy and host!!! Paul makes benches for the course with old ski's and snowboards so if you have any bring them with!!! He could also use some new Gnomes!!!! LOL!!! You'll see when you get there!!!! I don't know how to end this wonderful experience, but I do want to tell a story Paul let us in on when we were ready to leave.....He said that when we all got out our vehicles he sized us up and told his wife he would be really surprised if we even made it to #25.....Boy did WE SURPRISE him!!! My Husband Bill 63 and I 64 the next day, my oldest Son Jon 44, my youngest Son Jes 37,and my Grandson Tristan 13 played
our hearts out and
ENJOYED EVER MINUTE OF IT!!
Thank You Paul and Phantom Falls Course!!
For the WONDERFUL MEMORIES!!!
Can't wait to do it again!!!!

My day at the Falls

1    8/5/2011   8/9/2011
Review By: Zmyers
Pros: Great course! Plays on the side of a mountain so tons of elevation changes. Really makes you think about every shot and what could happen if it catches an edge... but it was completely unpredictable. You play to a couple of the baskets a couple times which gave you different looks at good pin positions. Course was extremely clean and well taken care of. The aspen basket was very cool. Pro shop on the property and you could buy lunch there also
Cons: Only things that I would change is to have at least one hole that you can really open up your arm. And on some of the shorter downhill holes, the tees had logs on the front of them which stopped the possibility of a jump putt... weird to think about jump putts off the box but it would have been the best shot for me.
Other Thoughts: If you're in Colorado, do not miss this course.

Thanks to Paulie for his hospitality and for running and maintaining such a great course.

A True Rocky Mountain Course

2-4    7/31/2011   8/4/2011
Review By: Flippin Birds
Pros: This course is just something you have to experience for yourself. The Phantom is so much more than just a course, it is a labor of Love! The only thing that is better than the course, is the course designer. Paulie is one of the coolest, down to Earth guys that I have had the pleasure to play with. If you have played Conifer, you know the WOW. Know come play the FUN! Paulie along with the Foothill Flyers can be thanked for both of these amazing courses. Side note, the temp course they designed out at Bailey, which won't be around much longer, is also a top notch championship caliber course that must be played! Your round at the Phantom will begin with a quick tour of the course, some history on the Foothill Flyers and their accomplishments, and a chance to check out Paulies' awesome Pro shop with a wide selection of custom dyes and special runs. The best thing about this course: it keeps getting better. Paulie puts all revenue back into the course. There are constant improvements being made, most notably the new t-box on hole #23 that now allows you to throw off a deck at a more elevated position. Also, there are now a total of 38 holes with the latest 4 hole addition on the backside of the course. This course is tight, technical, and requires an array of different shots. It is a full day of disc golf, and will take anywhere from 4-6 hours to finish your round. Make sure you check out Paulie's website to better prepare yourself for the round and what is expected of you while attending The Phantom. Please remember that this is a private course - RESPECT Paul's rules! and Don't forget to bring CASH.

http://www.pfdgc.com /

Get some rest, bring a cooler of beer & water, and get ready for the best afternoon of your life!!
Cons: No Smoking on the Course. (Deal with it)
Other Thoughts: Don't be afraid to give back to the course that gives so much to our sport! Paulie accepts donations of old Ski's and Snowboards - used to make benches on the course. He recycles old plastic - so bring your old discs. You can also ask Paulie about volunteering your time to help make improvements to the course.

1    4/9/2011   8/4/2011
Review By: Mannylo62
Pros: THIS COURSE HAS IT ALL, FROM FUN HOLES TO THE TIGHT AND ACCURATE ONES. IF YOU HAVE PLAYED CONIFER AND LOVED IT, YOU WILL LOVE THIS ONE EVEN MORE. IT IS QUIET, PEACEFUL AND JUST A GREAT ENVIRONMENT TO BRING LARGE GROUPS AND HAVE A GREAT DAY. THERE ARE AREAS TO RELAX AND GRUB AND ENJOY THE AREA.
Cons: OTHER THAN A LONG WALK AND SOME LOOSE TERRAIN SOMEWHAT, NOT REALLY ANYTHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT, THIS COURSE CAN ONLY GET BETTER, AND THAT WOULD BE A CHALLENGE.
Other Thoughts: A MEMORABLE COURSE WORTH PLAYING!

The most fun I have ever had on a disc golf course

1    7/19/2011   7/20/2011
Review By: aabrown333
Pros: I have been playing disc golf for over 11 years, and I can honestly say that I have never played such an amazing course. Everything about this course is unbelievable. It is scenic, well designed and well maintained. The baskets are in great shape (most of them brand new) and the signage is readily identifiable. Some of the holes are pretty short, but the fun factor here is second to none. The chime and hanging baskets are a nice signature touch. Best of all, Paul only books three tee times per day, so you will most likely have the whole course to yourself. Paul is an awesome guy who will welcome you onto his property, explain the course to you and offer you food and beverages at the turn. All in all, if you are looking for an unforgettable disc golf experience in the beautiful Colorado mountains, Phantom Falls is the course for you.
Cons: NOTHING. This course is awesome.
Other Thoughts: This course is a great workout, due to the constant elevation changes. Some might think of this as a negative, but we loved it. Do not come here if you are looking for a leisurely walk in the park. Wear good shoes and expect to sweat.

1    7/17/2011   7/17/2011
Review By: Lanebrew
Pros: Most of the other reviews have it dead on but I will add my 2 cents. I loved this course. If you don't like technical course and just wanna bomb, this is NOT the place for you. It is also not for the faint of heart. There are tons of trees to navigate on almost every shot. The number of creative shots we had to come up with were awesome. Learned a TON about the game today. Didn't really have a favorite hole but it sure was cool to play on an all wood, hand crafted basket for 3 holes.
Cons: I guess a "con" would be some of the tee boxes need some work but I understand this is in the works so, I guess I have none.
Other Thoughts: The only bad thing about today was that Paul was not there to play with us or show us some of the hospitality I have heard about in previous review. On the flip side of that, the course was closed all weekend and he made a special exception for our group to play (AWESOME). I look forward to playing again and have Paul show us some even more creative shots!

Play This Course!

1    6/1/2011   7/15/2011
Review By: yodadrum
Pros: Paul is awesome, super welcoming and a great host. He is clearly passionate about the sport and has designed an amazing course that is challenging, logical and FUN! I'm an average disc golfer and was a little intimidated by the size and scope of the course. It's difficult but not overly so but the fun factor is off the charts. Paul's overview of the course is very helpful. Listen to his advice and use the cheat sheet he gives you.

Stunningly beautiful. PLAY THIS COURSE!
Cons: None. Expect to spend 4-5 hours playing. Take your time, it's an experience. You're gonna get a workout...
Other Thoughts: This is Paul's home. Treat the grounds with respect. He has a great little pro shop with everything you need to get you through the day. Support the shop, support the course!

Phantom Falls Rocks!

1    6/17/2011   6/20/2011
Review By: Jpiers
Pros: The best course i have ever played! Paul is so welcoming and helpful. Loved the "cheat sheet", it really let us know where the trouble was. In short, you have to play this course and I can't wait to play it again. Thanks Paul!
Cons: NONE
Other Thoughts: Great pro shop!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 15