Pine, CO
Phantom Falls Share
Uploaded By: filmwalrus Hole #26 (Taken 11/2010)

1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
  Unreal

5+    8/6/2009   1/14/2010
Review By: jghinelli
Pros: The skill required to play this course is not for the average weekend warrior. The course forces the player to use creative shots as well as accurate shots. The views set this course apart from all others. The maintenance of course is above all others.
Other Thoughts: A must play!

Labor of Love

2-4    1/10/2010   1/13/2010
Review By: squilly
Pros: Fantastic course...Paul has clearly spent hundreds of hours putting this masterpiece together...he must have a very understanding wife!! Love the ski benches, aspen and wind chime holes. Ravines galore make some holes very challenging. If you're lucky Paul will show you his man cave.
Cons: A bit out of the way but worth the effort.
Other Thoughts: Go to Zoka's or the Bucksnort for drinks or a meal afterward. Both are within 5-10 minutes of Paul's course and are both worth the trip (Zoka's is great food/ambience yet not too pricey; Bucksnort is a backwoods burger dive saloon).

Great Course

1    1/1/2010   1/1/2010
Review By: sbateman30
Pros: Wow. What a beautiful course. It has some amazing scenery. A good work out also. A good combination of aceable and disheartening holes. A lot of fun overall.
Cons: Nothing really bad to say. Great course.
Other Thoughts: There is some treacherous errain so bring appropriate shoes.

Fantastic Course

1    12/30/2009   12/30/2009
Review By: tmigchel
This review was updated on 5/4/2012
Pros: Wow is pretty much how to describe this course. Great variety of holes with many different lines to take. I liked the rolling hills and valleys that came into play often. The elevation changes were challenging. The different types of baskets were awesome (there was a hanging basket, hanging chimes, and an incredible wooden basket just to name a few). It was nice how the course winded back to the house a few times during the round. Because of the great terrain, there is not a need for too many OBs or mandos, but the one double mando was pretty sweet (even though I missed it).
Cons: That I don't live closer. Some baskets are used multiple times, but you hardly notice if you have played it or not.
Other Thoughts: Paul is great guy that just loves disc. He seemed very happy to have us out there enjoying his course. He followed us around for a few holes to make sure his course record was safe, and it was. Unique disc golf experience, I cannot wait until I get to come back.

Oh what a day!!!!!

1    12/12/2009   12/17/2009
Review By: diskdunn1
Pros: Wow, well where do I start. First of all Paulie is a great guy ( with quite a sidearm throw). what an amazing course. If I had this in my backyard, I would go broke and loose my job. This course gives you a taste of everything. Short and technical shots, long and crazy shots, dog legs, uphills, down hills, everything you could ask for. I couldn't pick a favorite hole as each one has its own unique characteristics. With mature tree's, amazing wooden baskets, 30 holes to play, and a breathtaking location all make this course one of the best in the west. If you are coming to CO to play, do not pass up the opportunity to play one of Colorado's premiere courses!!!!! Bring your burgers and steaks because Paulie lets you use the Disc Golfers grill 1/2 way through the course. Thanks Paulie for such a great day!!!!!!
Cons: There was no water holes for me to make a disc donation to the Disc water gods!!!!!. Make sure to give yourself 4 + hours to play. Not a con if you have the time.
Other Thoughts: Paulie said he will be opening a pro shop in 2010. Maybe a Phantom Falls Exclusive Disc would be great for the incredible memories!!!!!

1    11/30/2009   12/12/2009
Review By: thhayes
Pros: I have been playing disc for 30 years now and I must say that this is one of the most unique courses I have played over that time. In fact, Paulie has done what I have been wanting to do for years - finding a nice piece of property and putting together a quality course. He has truely maximized his real estate and created a quality result. It is not long, but I like that as it does not create the distinct advantage for the long thrower.
Cons: Not many. The drive from Boulder is a solid hour. The footing can be a bit tenuous, but it is really part of it's character.
Other Thoughts: You can not get a better host than Paulie!

A Jewel In My Back Yard

1    11/28/2009   12/2/2009
Review By: Discdancer
Pros: This is the most fun I have ever had playing DG, the fun factor when playing this course is through the roof. This is a MUST play for any DG player. The course design is awesome and unique. The pin placement is amazingly fun, risk - reward @ it's best. The hospitality you will be shown is 2nd to none. The fact that you have the course to yourself is awesome, and a pro that can't be exagerated. There are so many unique features of this course that they can't be explained, they have to be experienced. My favorite course to date.
Cons: Good luck with that.
Other Thoughts: Being female, so many courses are too long or difficult for me. This course is not terribly long, just very technical and fun. An awesome course for any level of DG'er.

Bring your boots!

5+    10/11/2009   11/12/2009
Review By: CAgup
Pros: It is the best course I've ever played. Every hole is a different challenge. I've been playing the course for over 5 years and everytime i come back Paulie has made more improvements. This last year he has really taken it to the next level. With all new baskets, benches at almost every tee (For a guy coming from sealevel i needed everyone) and improved tee boxes. And he is still working on it. A must play.
Cons: All he needs is a cart gal serving cold ones.
Other Thoughts: If you are within 300 miles of the place it is worth the effort. And if you can play with the owner your intertainment value doubles!

Fun in the mountains!

1    9/30/2009   10/9/2009
Review By: Invisible
Pros: This course has many challenging and interesting hole designs. There are many holes that the owner Paulie has really put a lot of time and money into making one of the best courses in Colorado. There are many holes that can be aced, but it is really technical due to the vast number of trees on this course. Not a course for the long armed player as most holes are reachable with a mid range shot. There is now a grill available for players to grill out on the lower deck of the house and the course comes back to the house often so that players can refresh when they need to. We brought a cooler of vitamine water and other snacks and we could have used some more refreshments as it was about a 4 hour day. We really loved the fact that Paulie only allows one group per day to play the course so we never felt rushed or pressed to move on to the next hole. Sometimes we took extra time to march down to a hole to see the best angle to shoot. A "cheat sheet" is provided to help new players to Phantom Falls with shot selection. Another fun aspect to the course is the "closest to the pin" rocks that tell you where the best shot was on each hole. If you are good enough to do better you can let Paulie know and he will mark it on the hole sign for future players to witness. Baskets are all in good shape and one even hangs from a tree. Hole one is a custom wooden basket that really gives Phantom Falls a "playin in the woods" feel. Love it!
Cons: By hole 25 you really start to feel fatigued. This is another challenge to the course. Lots of up and down. Don't go after a leg workout! Some of the launch pads are a little short.
Other Thoughts: Overall had a great time playing this course. We (three of us) showed up on an extremely windy day and we still had a blast. We enjoyed the course, talking with Paulie and the location. We will be back to play again.

1    8/31/2009   9/11/2009
Review By: danhyzer
Pros: So many to list, but the number one thing that stands out the most is all the love put back into the property to make the "GUEST" feel like someone special. Pauly is one of the most best hosts I've ever had the pleasure to meet. He has a little "cheat sheet" that will aid the first time player (or a player who might need a little reminder of how the course plays) to this goldmine of his. It was very helpfull not only to find each hole but also to consider what flight plan one might want to take. So many holes stand out. I really like that most of the basket postions we're on the hills edges. Risk and reward at it finest. One of the shortest holes (i believe it was hole 20) had me all confused (not that the cheet sheet wasn't helpfull. but it is a must birdie hole and you can just see the top of the basket from the tee pad. Go for it and go to far you will pay dearly (a lot of hole played this way, I feel very fortunate to shoot -3 blind). I eneded up playing it short for an easy par, but when in the box I was licking my chops for the birdie that is easily there for any skill level. and that another thing GREAT about this course is that it's not super long, and it's easy to navigate with "cheat sheet", but it's so challenging. Loved the waterfall holes, the wind chime hole (hope you don't change the holes using the wind chime, maybe if you have an official PDGA tournament. But the beauty of this game is that the wind is free and not only are the chimes sound pretty when struck but it also sounds nice when it's gently being blown by the wind. And the Aspen Basket you have near the house and at # 1 is simply the most best basket I've ever touched. (I hope the PDGA headquarters takes notice and purchases one of these special baskets for others to admire and cherrish). When playing these type of courses one needs to rest every so often, and why not take your time at every hole by resting, by sitting on some very unique benches (discarded ski boards). Another great thing about playing this course is the serenity that you have because Pauly only has one group playing each day. Believe you and me. your about as close to heaven when playing this DGc, and to have the whole course to yourself or with a small group of friends is another treat that shouldn't be under appreciated. I could go on and on as when I really pasionate about someting I tend to babble. I Love it all Pauly. You got it going on. God Bless you and your family.

Cons: if there is one thing that I would like to see change is.... a little longer tee pad. I have a bigger stride than most players and a little more runway would be more benificial to players like me.
But really the only other con I can think of is that I live in Ohio and not near Jefferson County, Colorado.
Other Thoughts: Whomever said Colorado gold rush is dry hasn't played this gem. Pauly is a great host. He has a young family and will only expect your most best behavior if you want to play the next hole (don't think that's to much to ask). All his efforts are now done on donation basis. if you have some extra cabbage and feel like donating to a great cause I wouldn't hesitate in giving a little extra when visiting this great DGC. I also suggest playing this course before you play Beaver Ranch in Conifer because they'res a great scenic route that one must take to appreciate this area even more (I firmly believe that from all my travels that dirt road that travels along the S. Platte River is one of my all time favorites). This route also goes by a restaurant (Zokas) that a local Disc Golfer owns and should you have the hungries, by all means stop in for a bite and or a brew.

Pack out what you pack in. That is a easy one as this is a treat to play and should be treated as such (As should any DGc anyone plays, but this course is special).

I wish the PDGA would loosen up on it's course standards and have a tournament at this course along with Beaver Ranch. Maybe it could be invitational only. But I can't stress this enough, this DGc is truly special and should be played. Pauly thank you so much for what your doing for other Disc golfers. Those directions you made for me on that 3lb board made it all the way home with me. I'll treasure it like one of my favorite discs that I have hanging on my wall of fame. Let me know if you ever have any discs made up. I really think the idea I gave you of the 2 discs (the bear claws and the skeleton course map on each disc) would be the most best money maker you could do with your dream and it would also be a great colector item as it would be 2 discs instead of one. So the collector would have to buy both discs.

I hope other gracious Disc Golfers graze your land and recieve the feeling that I got from playing Phantom Falls.

Next time when I'm in the area I hope we can play a round together.

1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15