Pine, CO
Phantom Falls Share
Uploaded By: SpacemanSpiff Hole #3 (Taken 8/2010)

1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
 What a beauty!

1    7/18/2009   7/27/2009
Review By: SeanMeacham
Pros: Paul has done a spectacular job with this course. Set in the mountains of Conifer, this course will challenge you all day long. Paul reserves the course for you for the full day (as long as you have at least a group of four). This allows you to fully absorb the beauty of this course without any distractions. Phantom Falls, is Paul's course designed in his backyard. This 30 hole monster will have you absolutely beaten up by the end of the day. It has a great mix of short and long holes, all very technical ready to punish any mistake. Hole #1 starts out at the front of the house, shooting to a one of a kind hand crafted aspen basket. Paul will guide you around the course showing you the best route, as well as how to get to the next hole (much needed if you have never played before). The course is designed in a way tha it comes back up to the house about four different times (great for refilling the bag with adult beverages!). I can't tell you how much fun this course is, and all the variety you get from it. You have two amazing aspen baskets, a basket made from chimes that you may be lucky enough to hear ring out, a hanging basket from a tree. Listen to Paulie....throw it straight and land it flat, otherwise you will find yourself rolling and making at least a bogie. This course instantly became one of my favorites, and will test the best players.
Cons: This course isn't closer to where I live. Driving from Colorado Springs, it is definitely a day trip. If you have a weekend to spare...play Phantom Falls and Beaver Ranch and you will have the most challenging/breathtaking weekend of disc golf ever!
Other Thoughts: Make sure you call Paul ahead of time....don't just show up. Paul is a real laid back guy and an amazing guide, so tip him well. He has put 5k of his own hard earned money into this course so give back for the experience you will have! Be respectful!! Don't swear (he has two beautiful baby girls), pick up your trash, be nice....I want to be able to come back. Also, if you want to play tunes thats cool, Paul just doesn't want to hear rap (i luckily played classic rock all day). Paul, amazing course and thank you for sharing it! (ps. pictures are coming!!)

Phantom falls rocks

2-4    7/4/2009   7/23/2009
Review By: nudy1970
Pros: My friends and I found this coarse to be well thought out and extremely challenging. In fact we loved it so much we gave it its own nickname "Stink finger gulch". Its awesome and I cant wait to get back up there to play. Thanks Paul you were a great host!!!!
Cons: The only con is that you may need a shower after play....
Other Thoughts: This was by far one of the funnest coarses I have played. The mountain setting is perfect, the solitude is perfect, and the coarse is perfect. I recommend it !!!!

Amazing Course

1    7/18/2009   7/20/2009
Review By: Nick C
Pros: Absolutely amazing course design. You drive up to the course and realize that this is literally in the back yard of the course designer, Paul. There is a practice tee to get warmed up on and then Paul will take you over to the first tee and give you some history of the course. He is going to have to guide you through this course as many holes you are shooting at the same basket but from a completely different starting spot (much different that simply having alternate tees). Paul is a really chill guy who loves his course and it shows with some of the fun things he's done with it. You'll also need his tips on where not to throw as well as what routes have worked for people in the past. The first tee you step on you look out onto a semi-open fairway and you see a hand crafted aspen wood basket. One of his friends has custom made 2 baskets our of aspen wood and it looks amazing and is really fun to shoot at. Among other fun things are a hanging basket to shoot at, 2 holes where you have to hit hanging chimes instead of a basket, and some madatory windows to shoot through. There are plenty of benches and chairs and other places to take a rest, which is extremely important as this course is a serious workout. It would take me way too long to describe all the holes but each one has a new challenge to it. You are shooting in very tight woods to be sure to bring your more controllable discs. Also there are countless upshots so bring your best disc for that. Since there isn't really any bushes or shrubs, it is almost impossible to completely lose your discs, and should you somehow manage to do that Paul keeps a lost and found pile so call him after a week and it will be found. If you want to tune up your accuracy and control shots, this is an absolute must play. Each hole is fitted with a painted GTP rock which marks what the best throw to date on the hole is at. Aces are marked with a small rock in the basket. It's a blast trying to beat the previous record. I loved playing this course and will definitely be coming back.
Cons: Not much in the way of cons on this course. It's definitely a workout. You will be doing a lot of up and down walking and it definitely will wear you out by the time you finish the 30 hole course. The designer throws RHFH and his course design shows it, however there are still plenty of holes for RHBH as well. There isn't a wide open hole to unleash a drive on but you will defintely have some uphill shots where you need to hurl you best driver to get anywhere near a birdie opportunity.
Other Thoughts: I would highly recommend calling up Paul for a reservation. (keep in mind you need a group of 4 and he only allows 1 group a day to play to call plenty ahead of time) Bringing shoes that can handle some serious hiking and a waterbottle are both necessities. This is an amazing experience and an absolute must play for any disc golfer. We took 2 friends who play but aren't really avid disc golfers and they had an absolute blast. We came off the 30th hole and Paul had 4 cold beers waiting for us. He directed us to an absolutely amazing restaurant called Zoka's which is only 1 mile away and a perfect place to re-fuel after walking this course. The course is located in a fantastic outdoor recreation area so if you are into outdoor sports there is no reason not to make this part of a 2 day camping, discing, mountain biking, etc excursion. Definitely give this course a try (we will be posting some photos soon)

B5280high Review

5+    5/17/2009   7/18/2009
Review By: B5280high
Pros: Great, challenging course! Quite a few hills and holes with little margin for error. Views are spetacular and beautiful, but this is a course for true players!
Cons: You're gonna pay for bad shots on some holes....not for the weak of heart!
Other Thoughts: Unique course and worth the drive!

Up and Down and Back Up Again - Prepare to Work for it.

1    7/7/2009   7/9/2009
Review By: srm_520
This review was updated on 3/28/2010
Pros: 30 holes. Let me say that again - 30 holes over rugged, rough, and drastically elevated terrain in the Colorado Rockies. Need I say more? Due yourself a favor and get your calves in shape because even the fittest person will be sucking wind by the end of your day at around 8000 feet.

This is a well kept privately owned course that features a great host and good people in the area who like to play. Since the course owner couldn't be out that show us the winding holes, he went to the trouble to make sure we had a guide in place to lead us around and give us the ins and outs of every hole and pin location.

Have I mentioned the homemade Aspen baskets that aren't given their full justice in the pictures posted here? Yes, they are that awesome, and are truly works of art. There are two of these pins on the course, with one serving as a signature start to hole one. This was known as the money hole, since people were giving to a cash pool for aces, but our guide told us someone won and it isn't really done anymore.

A few other cool notables are the tee signs and the CTP rocks. The tee signs are flagstone, and are going to be redone to give each hole a more professional look. They are currently marked with sidewalk chalk. There are also CTP (closest to pin) rocks at every hole. Some are sitting in the baskets to indicate the ace, but others sit up to 50 feet away. I had the privilege of moving the CTP rock at hole #7 after an amazing drive that was parked about 10' from the pin. It's just another cool feature that you can't find at a public course.

BEST HOLE/S: #1, #29
Cons: It took our group of six four hours to complete the course. Admittedly, I like to sit back and enjoy a good course, but four hours was even pushing it for me. Granted there were six people, and four playing for the first time, but just keep in mind this course is not quick.

There is a voluntary donation of $10 to play the course, which is more than any other course I've ever played, but I don't know if this is a con as much as a mention to make future players aware. Plus, I gave a few bucks to our guide for showing us a good time, so just be prepared to spend some money.

Also, this may or may not be a con depending on your viewpoint, but there are not 30 pins. With around 20 pins, many holes double back towards the house even though each hole still maintains a unique look. Plus, I'll admit it, sometimes things started to blend together and I was glad to be done in the end. I would certainly play this course again if I was ever out in the area, but you will earn your stripes out here.

WORST HOLE/S: #11
Other Thoughts: Phantom Falls plays an amazing and quite clever array of holes on a fairly tight piece of land. Mike, our guide, thought it was about 7 acres, which is amazing considering you have 30 holes and 20 pins - two of which are chime pins and one hanging basket. The clever part is how the course plays back and forth on itself throwing to some pins up to three times. There isn't a congestion issue being a privately owned course where our group was the only ones on the mountainside the entire day. Although throwing to the same pin would typically be a negative of most courses, Paulie has cleverly designed the course to give each hole a unique look with different looks at a pin you may have just shot at four holes earlier.

I always have much love and admiration for any person striving to design, build, and maintain a quality private course. As with my previous experiences on private courses there is a unique feel that simply can't be attained by a public course. Couple that with great hosts with a love for the game, and you have a winning combination. I felt good donating money to help Phantom Falls grow, improve, and expand on this already impressive piece of property. I have played many of what I would consider "sister" courses, but the combo of Phantom Falls and Beaver Ranch in Conifer just seven miles away make this the best one two punch yet. Anyone visiting the Denver area owes it to themselves to make a trip up in these mountains, since it may be one of the best disc golf experiences you'll ever have.

Hike/Disc

1    6/24/2009   6/29/2009
Review By: Sectorado
Pros: Nice retreat from the city, but not super far from Denver, cool pine baskets and chimes and hanging basket, variety of shots and elevation changes
Cons: A bad bounce or landing can lead to your disc rolling down the hill a long ways
Other Thoughts: Some tees play to the same basket, but wasn't a problem since we were the only ones there, Paulie was helpful in laying out the hidden baskets for us, lots of up and down - can get tiring by the end, wear shoes with good traction, no sandals, closest to pin markers were a cool addition

Phantom Falls Rocks!

5+    5/18/2009   6/3/2009
Review By: discaholic
Pros: This course Rocks! The terrain is decomposing granite on the whole course. It has many elevation changes and uses this on most holes. The whole course is like a park with no slash on the course, no brush, no downed trees. You play under a canopy of pine trees the entire course. It has challenged me on more than one occasion. I have literally used every shot I can think of that is in my bag. I also have probably used every disc in my bag at times too. It is a real challenge for me to shoot a par, but it can be done. My best is -3. My best doubles round was with Wes Yusim this spring and we shot a course record of -14 I think. Always fun to play. Has phenominal weather in the winter. Is often the more playable than any other course in the Denver metro area.
Cons: There aren't many con's for this course. I would say the lack of the long footage shots could be a con. It does have 2 very long holes that were added this year which are very difficult to par. The layout doesn't allow for large groups of players due to playing back on some of the same baskets.
Other Thoughts: Be respectful of this course and the owner's wishes. He has put a lot of time, money, thought, and work into making this the best little secret in Pine, CO. Be sure to leave a generous donation if you can. Always call before hand to set up a tee time.

Phantastic Phantom Falls

2-4    5/24/2009   5/27/2009
Review By: fuman22
This review was updated on 5/27/2011
Pros: This really is a good puzzle of a course if you like the challenge of consistently throwing through tight trees for moderate distances with elevation changes. Its one of the few tight courses in the Front Range. The tightness makes each hole seem much longer, but I found myself grabbing for anything between my putter and Eagle for 95% of the shots. I'm predominately a right BH, but found myself throwing FH on a third of the holes. Strong FH will love this course.
Course layout is sufficient for returns to the parking lot for refreshment replenishment. All tee pads and holes are well marked and with some looking around and attention to your orientation, the course is easily navigated.
A couple chime and aspen baskets make for a different, but fun feel. Perched baskets with big penalties into steep gullies make things interesting.
The owner Paulie is truly a gracious host and is thrilled to have courteous and enthused players tromping across his land.
Cons: There is very little that is bad or mediocre about this course, but I couldn't give it a higher score as it doesn't have and couldn't possibly have all the required elements to be rated much higher.

Throwing at the Falls

2-4    5/24/2009   5/25/2009
Review By: Headbabe
This review was updated on 5/26/2011
Pros: A great mountain course with a nice lay-out of 30 holes that will challenge every shot you have. We had a foursome of all levels of player and we ended up staying to play a total of 69 holes. The $10 fee is nothing when you see the work being put into the course. If you throw disc in Colorado get out to Phantom Falls.
Cons: The course is in great shape, but I think it would be nice to see some path markers to keep people from tracking all over the course in places. I think those would keep future erosion issues down along with helping keep people from trampling native flora.
Other Thoughts: A classic Colorado mountain course and I am looking forward to playing it many times in the future.

great times

2-4    4/23/2009   5/19/2009
Review By: broxey
Pros: Amazing scenery. Very technical, Long shots through tight gaps. Ace runs/short shots. One of the coolest looking baskets by far you'll ever play on with the "money hole". Chime baskets for Ace possibilities.
Cons: Geez what a workout? Do some stretches cause your legs will burn after this monster... Other con: Not getting to play it again....
Other Thoughts: You can tell this is Paulie's baby. A lot of time, love and sweat has gone into this course making is truley special and a must play even if your 16 hours away :). Id love to have the chance to play this wonderful course again and maybe beat that first round score, and most importantly get on the "wall"...

1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15