Pine, CO
Phantom Falls Share
Uploaded By: SpacemanSpiff Hole #3 (Taken 8/2010)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 15

1    5/17/2013   6/9/2013
Review By: jwyplatinum
Pros: Picturesque scenery, very helpful "caddy notes," extremely challenging without being excessively long.
Cons: "The Dark Side" (24-36) was very repetitive. It was just up and down the same hill.
Other Thoughts: I am absolutely playing this course again. $20 is an extremely fair suggested donation.

Great Day of DG

2-4    6/1/2013   6/4/2013
Review By: fantomhockey
Pros: Paul is a great guy, not only for the wonderful course, but as a reference for the sport itself. I brought along a couple of friends who are relatively new at the sport and he was great at helping them find some game-improving discs in the pro shop.

While most people you'll talk to will say $20 is too much for disc golf, ask them, they've never played the course. The amount of care Paul and his helpers put into making sure the course is clean (the only way to lose a disc is high in a tree) makes this worth the $20 on it's own. Never mind the awesome, challenging shots you get to attempt on each of the different 38 holes.

Our DG group has made Phantom Falls an annual tradition that we look forward to as much a child looks forward to summer vacation. We're even planning on going back sometime this fall. Might even be a twice a year thing now, who knows!
Cons: Getting a tee time on the exact day you want can be difficult since Paul only has one group on the course per day (which is also supremely awesome!). Some of our group just couldn't make it since we couldn't find an available day that could work for everyone. My advice is get a list of days that work for everyone in your group (make it 9-10 possibilities organized from highest priority to lowest) then call Paul and get it figured out on the phone right then and there. It pays to have that flexibility figured out ahead of time.
Other Thoughts: Course is absolutely in my top 3 all time. It's inspired me to get some land and make my own awesome course someday!

WOW

5+    5/15/2013   5/23/2013
Review By: ldtrainman
This review was updated on 6/4/2013
Pros: There are too many good things about playing Phantom Falls to cover them all, but here are a few. This course is set in natural woods of the CO mountains Every imaginable shot can be used here; hysers, anhysers, thumbers, tomahawks, rollers, you name it. Every hole is a different challenge. There are up hill shots, downhill shots, across the hill shots, ace runs, shots that make you wonder whether to go for it or lay-up. Signage is beautiful with flagstones set on edge at each T-Box giving the distance. All in all playing this course is awesome, but what really makes this course a step ahead of others is the amenities and hospitality. Most, if not all, T-Boxes have benches and rakes to groom the T-Boxes. I know some people like concrete T-Boxes but that would ruin the natural setting of this course. Besides with rakes available the boxes have always well groomed when I played. Not only is the course awesome but the host, Paulie, gives a thorough orientation and pointers for new players and a review for repeat players. He is very friendly and makes everyone feel at home. You can even request that lunch be provided for your group. When you make a reservation to play, your group has sole use of the course, so you can play at any pace you want without the hassle of people pressuring you to play faster or to let them play through.
Cons: There are so many great courses in the area that it is hard to decide which one to play. So play them all.
Other Thoughts: I've played courses in the east, the south, the west, and the middle of the country. They are all different. Courses with big bombers in the open spaces are like playing center field when someone hits one to the fence. You throw the ball back as hard as you can toward the infield and hope it is near the target. Not much skill but a lot of muscle. On the other hand playing Phantom Falls is like being the pitcher. Every throw must be on target or you walk batters or they will get hits and you will fall behind in the score. This course is about skill not strength. That said, enough distance is required on some holes to let you exercise those muscles.

Woman's point of view

1    5/15/2013   5/22/2013
Review By: GoldieD
Pros: As a woman, my game is somewhat shorter than most men can throw. I found Phantom Falls a wonderful site for me. I had a chance at par more often than not--my own fault that I missed putts!
I enjoyed the challenge of working my discs around trees, up steep grades--and especially throwing down long ravines.
I look forward to playing this course again and again--and being the better for it.

The course is so well marked and some of the baskets are unusual and interesting.
I thought that the orientation that our host, Paul gave is a good reminder of being kind to our forests--and being courteous to the other players--The beauty of this course and the surrounding mountains adds to the ambiance and enjoyment of the day at Phantom Falls.
Cons: I wish I could play better so I could do this place justice.
Other Thoughts: There are not enough women involved in this wonderful sport--I play with the guys and they are terrific--but as my game involves more throws I feel I slow them down some.

chill day

1    5/8/2013   5/21/2013
Review By: gkeeven
Pros: this course is super player friendly, offering a personal experience not soon to forget. there was a bbq grill to use and patio for lunch break or for beer break. I never thought I would pay to play, but man it was worth it imo

Fantastic Phantom Falls

1    5/8/2013   5/13/2013
Review By: DoodB
Pros: Wonderfully laid out course that works with the natural environment that it is built on. I felt like I was playing my own personal course. The little details that this course puts are second to none!
Other Thoughts: EVERYONE SHOULD PLAY THIS COURSE!!!!

A Piece of Disc Golf Heaven

5+    5/5/2013   5/9/2013
Review By: evanmanee
Pros: -To be able to play this course with just your buddies and no other distractions is priceless.
-Extremely close to Boulder and Denver and a very easy drive. Tops 1 hour 30 minutes. (other reviews have made this seem difficult and I don't understand why)
-Extremely close to other world class course, Magic Meadows, Bucksnort, Ridgeline, Beaver Ranch. Thus making for a paradise weekend disc golf trip.
-Our tee time was for 9:00 am and we teed off at 9:05am because Paulie knows our group and we have created a relationship with him. Be nice and be treated nice, pretty simple. We play here every year because it is so incredible. The first year we were given a 20 minutes welcome speech and it was actually really helpful and necessary.
-The course is technical, super fun, challenging, offers birdie chances and just as quickly double and triple bogeys.
-Course is designed so that you return to the car, clubhouse, soft outdoor sofa lounge. So carry as little or as much as you like.
-I literally dream about playing this course, the layout is that good.
-You want to empty your bag on almost every hole because of all the possible lines one can take on each hole.
Cons: -I don't have any complaints, this is a world class course at the home of a man who loves disc golf and enjoys sharing it with the world. I am just excited that he is willing to share.
Other Thoughts: -Be kind and respectful to the owner Paulie and you will be treated the same. Sadly disc golfers have lied, stolen, and broken the few rules of the course with startling frequency. This should never happen.

-However if you treat this course and it's owner with respect you might just find yourself invited to play other incredibly spectacular private courses in the area. Every year Paulie has surprised our group with back stage passes and invitations to rarely played and highly magical courses. SO BE NICE!!!

Worth the hype but still a lot of hassle

1    4/21/2013   5/3/2013
Review By: ttuff
Pros: This course is famed for good reason. The overall experience is really wonderful. The course is clean and beautiful and the holes are well designed. You should go.
Cons: This is a serious commitment and a bit of a pain in the ass to set up. This is not a course that you rally the friends on Saturday morning and get out the same day. You first must call and get through to Paulie to make a reservation. He will likely not have a reservation for the day you want and you're stuck with a spot weeks (or months) later. He has an hour-long orientation and one tee time per day at 9 AM. We left our house in Boulder at 7AM and we finally started throwing around 10 after we gathered the crew in Golden, made it to P.F., and listened to the course orientation. This felt like a really long time.
Other Thoughts: These guys are doing some really awesome things in the area around conifer. Even if you can't get on this course, try out one of the sister courses in the area.

Worth the Trip

1    4/27/2013   4/29/2013
Review By: jdlaffey
Pros: Incredible Host! Great views and well designed holes. A lot of thought and even more work put into the design. Layout brings you back to the house enough that you don't have to carry too much while playing.
Cons: Only that it is over 1000 miles from home.
Other Thoughts: Thank you for a great time!

MUST PLAY

1    4/18/2013   4/19/2013
Review By: Krohn29
Pros: Paulie is the MAN lets just put it like that, most lade back funny person you would ever want to be around. He is a great host and will take care of you in every way you could think of.
I flew all the way from NY to play this course.
Its the best course i have ever played.
You can tell the time and effort they put into the course. Every hole has everything you could ever imagine on it. Great views, lines and pin placement are just insane.
I highly recommend every disc golf player to play this course at least one time.
Cons: You must start getting into shape cause of the high altitude, and the up hill down hill climb from hole to hole will make your legs & heart burn. But its totally work it.
Other Thoughts: Bring some extra cash to get some of his cool Phantom Falls logo on discs, shirts, & hoodies.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 15