Pine, CO
Phantom Falls Share
Uploaded By: filmwalrus Hole #6 (Taken 11/2010)
Hole #6 Tee Area

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 15
Worth the hype but still a lot of hassle

1    4/21/2013   5/3/2013
Review By: ttuff
Pros: This course is famed for good reason. The overall experience is really wonderful. The course is clean and beautiful and the holes are well designed. You should go.
Cons: This is a serious commitment and a bit of a pain in the ass to set up. This is not a course that you rally the friends on Saturday morning and get out the same day. You first must call and get through to Paulie to make a reservation. He will likely not have a reservation for the day you want and you're stuck with a spot weeks (or months) later. He has an hour-long orientation and one tee time per day at 9 AM. We left our house in Boulder at 7AM and we finally started throwing around 10 after we gathered the crew in Golden, made it to P.F., and listened to the course orientation. This felt like a really long time.
Other Thoughts: These guys are doing some really awesome things in the area around conifer. Even if you can't get on this course, try out one of the sister courses in the area.

Worth the Trip

1    4/27/2013   4/29/2013
Review By: jdlaffey
Pros: Incredible Host! Great views and well designed holes. A lot of thought and even more work put into the design. Layout brings you back to the house enough that you don't have to carry too much while playing.
Cons: Only that it is over 1000 miles from home.
Other Thoughts: Thank you for a great time!

MUST PLAY

1    4/18/2013   4/19/2013
Review By: Krohn29
Pros: Paulie is the MAN lets just put it like that, most lade back funny person you would ever want to be around. He is a great host and will take care of you in every way you could think of.
I flew all the way from NY to play this course.
Its the best course i have ever played.
You can tell the time and effort they put into the course. Every hole has everything you could ever imagine on it. Great views, lines and pin placement are just insane.
I highly recommend every disc golf player to play this course at least one time.
Cons: You must start getting into shape cause of the high altitude, and the up hill down hill climb from hole to hole will make your legs & heart burn. But its totally work it.
Other Thoughts: Bring some extra cash to get some of his cool Phantom Falls logo on discs, shirts, & hoodies.

All time favorite course!

2-4    7/16/2012   1/29/2013
Review By: Dirty D
Pros: This was the 3rd course me and my buddies played while on a DG trip from Texas. I was totally in love with Magic Meadows from the previous day and thought this course wouldn't be able to top it. But to me it did! When we first drove up we noticed the disc that my friend had lost at magic meadows from the day before. AWESOME! So we shopped around the pro shop a little bit and after Paulie got us all set up we tee'd off. I liked the cheat sheet for every hole The benches are cool complete with bottle opener. I think the markers are an awesome Idea. Oh and I got my 1st Ace on hole #8. About halfway through the course it began to rain and the it started to hail! We retreated to the lounge area and waited it out. After the rain stopped we started onto the darkside which is alot of up and down but wasnt too bad. We were even lucky enough to play it the next day after playing ghosttown. Cant wait to go back this year...Thanks Paulie!
Cons: None - oxygen!!!

Overall Great Experience

1    1/17/2013   1/17/2013
Review By: asjzn6
Pros: Repetitive from other reviews, pros revolve around Paulie. I was very excited about playing this course and was not disappointed. I played on a warm day in January (morning temp was 14 finishing temp 45) and Paulie met me with a great cup of hot chocolate. We spent some time chatting. Paulie then walked me around the deck which is amazing to show me a few quirks about a few holes. He then gave me a scorecard and the best part was the cheat sheet (a caddy tip and more for each hole). We then embarked on my journey. Paulie played a few holes with me and went to work.

The course:
There was a bench on almost every hole. Trashcans everywhere. Very unique course. Lots of landscaping to improve walks between holes. Navigation is excellent stone markers always help you to the next hole. Great use of the land on the side of a mountain. There was an excellent deck to tee off of on hole 23.
Cons: You could say there was no opportunity to throw big, but when you throw straight uphill 200ft you are now throwing a 400 ft shot. Yeah maybe some repetitive greens but for shorter holes its not the greens it getting off the tee.
Other Thoughts: I loved my time at phantom falls. Make sure you pack and lunch you will need it. I took a break after hole 24 before i started the dark side. Make sure to be prepared for mountainous hiking as you are 8400 ft of elevation and at least 30+ feet of elevation up and down on each hole. Thanks for the good time.

Great Course

1    12/1/2012   12/1/2012
Review By: EricBasile
Pros: 38 holes
allows you to sharpen all of your DG skills
No traffic
great pro shop
Cons: Only con i can think of is if your not in shape get ready to get a big workout. If you are in decent shape you will be fine.
Other Thoughts: Owner (Paulie) is a great guy. He will give you a quick tour and give you great pointers. By far the best course i have played yet. He also has a mini golf course you can play after your run. Put this course on your bucket list ITS A MUST!!!

It's about an excellent disc golf experience on multiple levels!

1    9/12/2011   9/19/2012
Review By: superberry
This review was updated on 5/23/2014
Pros: Paulie. Plain and simple the pros of this course all revolve around Paulie - his dedication, his designs, his effort, his clubhouse, his accommodating nature, his amenities. Paulie is a disc golf fanatic - it shows - and I love that! This was the absolute highlight of my Denver trip experience. The "clubhouse" is beautiful as is the setting. The aspen basket off the porch for hole one (and buy in for prizes) is a one of a kind (nerve racking) lead off toss. The configuration of gnomes and rocks marking the lifelong CTP and ace locations is very unique and another one of those touches you get from a private course. Getting your name on a tee sign for the first ace ever on a hole is also incredibly cool. The property yields some great winding/twisting wooded holes and the hillside offers great sharp long elevation on holes, as well as a bunch of risky precarious pin placements. Uphill, downhill, crosshill, and back again all are part of a great design with longer holes requiring precision and accuracy and shorter ace run holes requiring a light touch. These all balance out with left, right, straight, and s-curve available routes. And if you play, pay attention to the scorecard notes that point out multiple route options your naked eye may not pick up. Playing with Paulie and some course workers was a great experience to see what types of shots they've come to perfect over the years. Nostalgia and uniqueness exists all around with the Aspen basket, Franken basket, and leftover windchime targets from the original course. There are bag hangers and benches made from old ski and snowboard parts.
Cons: Overall there is some repetitive play here, playing back and forth to the same basket from multiple different directions. While this design concept makes for a fun round, the last third of the hole (the green) is the same in each instance due to the re-used basket. Most holes are relatively short and placing a good drive yields a makeable deuce. I could go on and on about there being no real huge downhill bombers, no open field ripper, no water hazards, etc, but you get the point - a Colorado hillside property lacks some variety, yes? There is just one tee and one pin placement. This goes without saying because the pins are shared by multiple holes (for example the Aspen basket is played to 3-4 times). So really the course itself probably shakes out to a 3.0-3.5 range in my book.
Other Thoughts: I was travelling for work, and made it a point to leave early and fly on Sept 11, despite the rantings and crying of my wife, so I could get there a day early and play Conifer and Phantom Falls. I unpacked my usual bag taking more lighter and understable plastic due to previous high elevation throwing experience I had, and I dismantled my wife's smaller mini-revo bag and jammed it all into a bag to check at the airline (I did find room for a few other work clothes, but they took a backseat to my disc golf priorities on this business trip). I had been in contact with Paulie and he tried to warn me about the dirty 56, but it made no difference because I was going to get these courses in. I landed late Sunday night, drank a bunch at CB & Potts to allow me to sleep despite all my excitement, and I was still up by 6am, ready to head out and play Conifer. I finished the 20 holes there (story in another review), and proceeded to head to Phantom Falls. I stopped at a liquor store because I had a ton of time before my scheduled tee time and there are tons of good Colorado beers, and I figured I'd need some on the course (not exactly "need", but I also wanted to share with Paulie). I arrived at Phantom Falls, had a great time BS'ing in the clubhouse, and proceeded to play my round with the most gracious of guests, Paulie stayed with for nearly all of it despite having numerous other plans. During the round I aced a hole that had never been aced, drank lots of beers with excellent hosts, and had a great time, all culminating with some dinner afterward and good conversation. I opted in for the lunch at the turn, but since Paulie was playing with us we just kept going on and grabbed some refreshments. It was an absolute blast. Despite the course coming it at about a 3.7 on my scale due to overall repetitive terrain on a Colorado hillside, this experience was the best of the best. Disc golf enjoyment is about a state of mind and a frame of reference (personal reference admittedly), and Phantom Falls put me in a wonderful place. I think I smiled the entire drive back to Denver. It was a PHENOMINAL experience! Go play! Now there are even more courses in the area - I just wish I hadn't taken a new job so I could fly out there on business again and boondoggle more than just a day!

WOW

1    9/10/2012   9/13/2012
Review By: TexasChains
Pros: This is hands down the most incredible course I have ever played. Located right in the Heart of Disc Golf Country, Phantom Falls truly embodies the game of Disc Golf. This course has it all:
1) Design: The layout of this course is amazing, great lines, great elevation, great, and "Stoner Proof" Navigation
2) Beauty: The property is absolutely gorgeous!
3) Challenge: High Risk/Reward lines through or over the trees and down the hills and gulleys.
4) Amenities: Beautiful Tees, Baskets, Benches made of recycled snowboards, Places to hang your bag everywhere (Made from recycled skis), Stone walkways and Tee signs, Hole tips for each hole help direct your shot, Paul's House is the ultimate club house with nice outdoor furniture, a grill, fridge, water, and a proshop!
5) Being the only group on the course was a blast! no slo mos ahead, or danger discers behind
6)A mini disc course on site is a nice added bonus
7)35 or so holes is enough to put you on your ass!
Cons: None, keep up the good work.
Other Thoughts: While you are in the area, make sure to play Beaver/Conifer, Bailey, and Magic Meadows if it is still open (Fingers Crossed)

2-4    9/9/2012   9/12/2012
Review By: clos33
Pros: To me this course captures what disc golf is about. It's about having a great time with friends and family, enjoying the beautiful outdoors, while getting exercise and this course will give you all of those things. It starts with an amazing host in Paulie, and amazing course design, and a wonderful atmosphere, beautiful environment, and the whole course to yourself. There is an amazing disc golf culture in this part of the state and its only getting better!
Cons: Nothing really! I will admit I payed 10 dollars for the round last year, so to see the 20 dollar price tag this year was a little bit of a shock, but it took me about 1.5 holes to realize that this course is worth every penny!
Other Thoughts: I am sure there are a lot more people involved but Paulie and Rudy are doing some amazing things in the Pine/Conifer/Baily areas. All the courses are amazing and they have a true passion for disc golf and growing the sport. Including creating areas for younger children to get involved in the sport. I look at the price on this course and the other courses as a way to keep things moving in the right direction up in this area since they are truely passionate about the sport. Not to mention the courses are amazing and what disc golf should be about.

awesome course

2-4    8/5/2012   8/29/2012
Review By: killabees36
Pros: private course
friendly owner
sweet placements for record drives including "best drive ever" and "best drive of the year"
Cons: 20$ is steep for a day of dg on any course, price could drop for sure and i would exactly see myself playing this course more than a couple times because it is so expensive...

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 15