Monticello, GA
3 / 295ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

The Monty at Deer Ridge

1    8/19/2013   8/19/2013
Review By: craigd
Pros: The Monty Disc Golf Course in Monticello, GA offers a very fun and challenging round. It's "an intriguing course" (TM) that's slowly but surely being improved and transformed to a great course. It's a true labor of love from Luke and crew and their hard work is sure to be appreciated by all. I really enjoyed the solitude the course provided with just a touch of a nostalgic feel. Overall I felt like the course had a real disc golf "vibe" to it and I loved the atmosphere. Random items decorated a couple of the holes and gave a nice personal feel to the course too. The hole of the lost towels and the picnic table hole that's peppered with bizarre items including a skull and a sewing machine were quaint features as well.

The course itself has plenty of good golf too. You'll find a predominantly wooded layout with plenty of technical shots. While on paper the course may sound slightly on the average or even shorter side, don't be fooled into thinking it's an easy course. This course makes you work! The demanding holes will absolutely not reward any halfhearted shots. You have to have accurate drives, controlled approaches, and of course make your putts if you're going to play well/compete. Though at times the holes are tight and wooded, not once did I play a hole that I'd consider "unfair". This is a good example of a well thought out wooded course design.

Though there's not a lot of elevation changes, the designer did manage to pull in some slight up and down shots in the design. There's also a pretty decent mix of left and right turning shots. I liked the fact that there were a few short must make birdie shots along some longer shots including some 300'+ and a longer wooded par four.

Currently, making your way through the course is pretty easy with the makeshift tee box signs and next tee signs. The tee pads, except for number 1 and 2 being concrete, are natural but do the job. They are nice and wide and for the most part, compared to some other natural pad courses I've played, are in pretty good shape. There seems to be a mixed models of baskets but overall they are in good shape and catch well. Most are painted blue and added another touch of something you don't see every day on other courses.
Cons: Though the natural pads were in good shape and roomy, they were pretty slick after a good dose of rain. I also thought there is some punishing rough if you get off the fairways on a lot of the holes. This makes errant drives or bad tree kicks difficult to locate. I think the pictures here on DGCR (which are pretty outdated) hint that there is much less underbrush than in reality. With that said, I imagine in the winter it's much better.

I felt like a few of the holes got a little repetitive. A steady diet of tightly wooded holes are the meat of the course and for some, especially those who don't like technical wooded courses, they may find themselves growing weary of some "same shot blues". Also, unless the temp holes near the parking lot are being played, there's not a lot of opportunity for the big guns to indiscriminately crush drives (and I know that's a deal breaker for some).
Other Thoughts: This was my kind of course! I had a great time and wished I lived closer as I'd play it all the time. It's too bad my first time playing here was in some steady rain. I'm looking forward to coming back soon and playing it dry.

Remember that the course is still a work in progress. In some folk's opinion a course slowly coming together is like sausage making. They love sausage but hate watching it being made. But I was able to overlook the perceived cons of a slowly developing course by imagining the overall potential. Luke mentioned that the county may be annexing the course. If that happens, hopefully one day there could be regular maintenance, concrete tees, professional signs, etc. At that point this would be a highly rated course and certainly well worth a lengthy trip to come and play.

The Monty

1    1/22/2012   1/23/2012
Review By: 3OrangeWhips
This review was updated on 4/2/2012
Pros: Long, extremely tight fairways cut through a dense pine forest requiring a series of pinpoint throws to score well. Dense rough punishes errant throws.
Cons: Long, extremely tight fairways cut through a dense pine forest requiring a series of pinpoint throws to score well. Dense rough punishes errant throws.
Other Thoughts: I am not trying to be a smart alec with my identical pros and cons, but instead am trying to say that depending on your tastes, you will either really like this course or really dislike it. I really disliked it, while the other player in my group really liked it. This course is the result of a labor of love and you can really see the effort that has gone into making it happen. It looks like several holes have trees marked for removal so I believe this course is continuing to evolve. Ultimately my lower rating is based on the fact that every hole, with the exception of distance, is pretty much the same: very long, very tight, pretty much straight, and lots of pine trees everywhere. It should also be noted that many of the holes appear significantly longer than the posted distances and the course has changed from what is posted in the photo section (the final three open holes have now been pushed back into the woods).

****4/2/12 Luke has asked me to go out and take another look. My review may be unfair or out of date or both. I will head back out there as soon as time permits.****

Rustic

1    8/20/2011   8/21/2011
Review By: ow.douglas
This review was updated on 2/14/2012
Pros: There is a ton of potential here and if this was really done by 2 guys on a shoe string budget they deserve the golden disc award. Everything here looks homemade, I think that the baskets are homemade. If you look at the back of the signs, there is something else on the other side.
Cons: This place is rough and rustic, look for the animal skulls along the way. The 18th basket is right at the entrance to the county landfill. Are you getting the picture here?
Other Thoughts: I don't know the history of this course and don't live in the area. The best word that I can find for this place is rustic. From reading these other reviews it appears that two guys built this on their own with no support. If this is in fact the case, job well done. It looks like a labor of love. If you like concrete tee pads with great signs that show you the distance and where the next tee is, this is not the place for you. I was there on a Saturday at around 10:00 AM and was the only car there at the start and the finish.

****2/14/12 Luke has asked me to go out and take another look. My review may be unfair or out of date or both. I will head back out there as soon as time permits.****

Whoa.

2-4    7/23/2011   7/24/2011
Review By: Connor Jones
This review was updated on 11/27/2013
Pros: Awesome layout,seriously...awesome.
It's very wooded,so you're pretty much in the shade 90% of the round.
Cons: The terrain out here is pretty rough,make sure you wear some appropriate footwear.

Bugs.
There are a large variety of things out here,mostly ticks,lots of them..I pulled a few for sure,I also got some chiggers at the course,but I didn't really prepare very well,so make sure you layer on the deet and wear some long socks.
Other Thoughts: I couldn't really think of a lot to put in the pro's and con's section,as I think I find it easier just to describe what I want to convey here.

This course is seriously great,It's in my top 3 as far as actual course layout goes,a ton of memorable holes. Mostly par 3's with either one or two 4's,not really any "gimmes" so to speak and it plays very tight,but there's always a gap to work with,sometimes only one line,but there's always something.

Now,what keeps this course from excelling isn't the lack of fancy signs,or concrete teepads,I could really care less,the natural tees played fine(at least when it was dry),the signs they had worked perfectly and the rock markers worked well. What really stops it is just the amount of limbs/roots/stumps/etc on the holes and inbetween the holes.

I've gotta believe in time,some of this will be done away with just by being played,but more than that,the amount of work they have had to put in out there is ridiculous,you can tell that the two man team has cleared out almost everything inbetween holes by hand,it is staggering.

from Cali

1    7/21/2011   7/22/2011
Review By: claymcclellan
Pros: Awesome pin placement, in the woods but not to hairy, lots of controll needed but to me thats a plus.
Cons: Home made tee signs, only two holes with concrete tees, everything else marked but rocks painted red. So far outta the way.
Other Thoughts: This course has so much potential to be a 4 needs alot of the brush cleared out and needs to be marked better, and if they wanted they could make it a 27 hole very easy, lots of land back there in them georgia woods.

A beautiful course

2-4    4/21/2010   4/23/2010
Review By: dandaman
Pros: This course requires control on the tee and has several different types of shots. the course is definetly out of the way but is well worth the drive just based on the uniqueness of the course. Heavily wooded but IMO if you execute your shots skillfully you won't need luck to get you through.

The course has an excellent vibe of being accomodating to disc golfers. You can defiently tell that the course is well loved and taken care of.
Cons: While it would be easy to point out cons such as tee signage, a basket missing on a certian hole(#15), and other asthetic issues it would be wrong. This course is obviously a work in progress and to fully appreciate it you have to understand that the majority of the work is done by one individual. So IMO the con's are not really con's thier just needs that will be filled at a later date.
Other Thoughts: One of the best courses that I have played-just in terms of shot making and great enviroment.

I'm looking forward to offering my services to help this course to become better than it already is.

Deer Ridge is actually called "The Monty"

5+    12/27/2009   12/27/2009
Review By: Luke
This review was updated on 3/15/2011
Pros: Just to update, the 5 other reviews on this course are old, so please disregard on those reviews the things that I correct here; Holes 1-13 are in the woods, and new pins and short/long pad locations have been installed. The course is well-marked, and signs exist for every hole. All teepads are natural except 1 and 2, which are concrete. The baskets have all been painted metallic blue, and the numbering on the baskets is correct.

Also, new work is being done that will add four stellar holes in the woods. The Monty is very close to having 18 in the woods and 5 alternate pins in the open.
Cons: Cons---

Some folks don't like natural pads. I may be biased, but I think these are some of the best natural pads around. When the course is where I want it to be, then I'll worry about getting pads.

CON: The deer tick cycle begins in late February and runs until mid summer (some time in June). Though you may get them on you other times, they aren't nearly as persistent as during the season. They don't enjoy Permithrin or 100 percent deet, though the permithrin keeps them off better than deet. In the early summer, the tick population is comparable to Lake Russell's woods or the old Ant Farm in Hogansville, the course that mostly inspired the Monty.
Other Thoughts: 1. The Monty is going through some changes that I think will really put it on the so called map.
2. The map on the back of the message board is wrong as far as layout is concerned. It won't be changed anytime soon, but I'd like to note that it's wrong.

An "off the beaten path" find

2-4    11/30/2009   12/1/2009
Review By: MrFixIt
Pros: Well removed from other park activities.
Very clean, very little trash.
A different type of throw required on nearly every hole.
Cons: Can't really say anything negative, this is obviously "a work in progress".
No scorecards available.
Basket missing on #15.
Hard to see the baskets, maybe some bright paint on them?
No signage on the back holes.
Once again, the above statements aren't "cons", just observations.
Other Thoughts: Heavily wooded. Your disc will skip on the pine straw!
Liked the benches, fit in well w/ the pines.
This is obviously a labor of love. The course was installed "by disc golfers, for disc golfers".
I expect this course to do nothing but get better as it evolves.

1    3/29/2009   3/29/2009
Review By: StPaulie
Pros: This course as has been stated is not yet finished but has great potential and is fun to play. there is a large blue board at the start of the course with a map on it and score cards available, I loved the old log cabin style log benches stattered throughout the course. There is a nice ballance of hyzer and anhyzer shots required and some open holes to end up. The wooded holes all had decernable fairways and multiple possibilites on many. The land is prety flat here so the most use of woods and other challenges were taken advantage of. The small creek comes into play often. There has been a lot of rain in Ga. lately so the creek may not allways have water. especially like the use of the abandonded 18 wheeler trailers and the name of the hole shows the sense of humor. "Trailor Trash" I love it. There is also something you don't see in many disc golf courses, Deer stand! I bet at dusk or dawn you would stand a good chance of seeing deer. I very much liked the paths created, lined with small trees taken out to make fairways. Nice use of natural resources. Coupled with the laminated arrow signs once I found
# 1 geting around was pretty easy. Altho most of the course is in the 200' to 300' range there are a few longer holes and one over 500'.
Cons: It was a little hard finding hole 1 mostly due to the wet conditions makeing it hard to get into the woods. I wandered around playing various holes until I found 1 and then all flowed well from there. A few places requireing crossing the creek could use some help. I did not find baskets for 16 or 18 and the grass could stand to be cut in the open area.
Other Thoughts: When attempting to find the park you need to look for the Jasper Co. Recreation sign, it's easy to miss. Look for the blue board to the right of the ball fields. In the intrest of honesty I had to put the "Cons" in my review but truthfully I thought they added to the charm. I hope to come back again and see what additions have been made.

Cool Homegrown Course

2-4    3/24/2009   3/27/2009
Review By: hooboy
This review was updated on 12/21/2010
Pros: Biggest pro is the fact that this course is privately maintained by one or two people. An unbelieveable amount of work has been done here. Good mix of wooded (1-13) and open holes (14-18). I really liked the first 13 wooded holes. You are isolated from the rest of the park, and the holes are good, fair, and challenging, requiring all kinds of shots. Clear fairways, both visually, and in terms of ground cover - its well cleared out here. Good signage, and next tee markers, all home made.. Paths on the wooded holes are well marked. Two sets of tees, mostly grass. This course shows what only a couple of people can accomplish with some hard work, imagination, and a love of the game. Attention to detail, and sense of humor abound here....like the mural on the trailer on 15, and "the hole of lost towels" (5??).
Cons: Any cons are minimal, given all the hard work and TLC, but here goes... Mostly grass tees, but in decent shape, and well marked. A couple long walks on the front nine between 5-6, and 6-7. 16-18 open and not as interesting as rest of course.
Other Thoughts: It's been a year since I played The Monty, and they have done a ton of work. Newly painted baskets with new numbers. Excellent home made signage everywhere. I think there are now two new wooded holes. This course appears to be constantly evolving. It always feels like an adventure here. Big time kudos to Luke for all his hard work here.