Ocala, FL
Uploaded By: denny ritner Hole #18

So About Those Carts

1    8/11/2013   8/13/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: There's a lot to like about the course at Pine Oaks, even before you get to the carts. This is a long, tough course filled with long, tough holes. Hole average 421 feet from the middle tees and 505 from the longs. That's over 24 holes. That's a lot of golf.

Of course you will get to air it out a few times, how could you not with that kind of distance? But you will have to play careful as well. Many a fairway starts long and open before confronting you with trees. blocking your approach shot. Others, like 16, present the trees at once. If you can get through the tunnel, you should have an open drive towards the pin. So while this course is filled with bombs, they aren't straightforward bombs.

There is also water present on a number of holes. While most water holes aren't carries, they are creatively placed to force your hand. Two of the ponds are very clean. I tossed a Dragon in the water on 3 and another on 7. I left them and circled back after 12 and the current had pushed them close enough to shore to grab them with a stick. There's a true carry later on, over a pond thick with red algae of some type. Anything that goes in there isn't coming back but the pond is beautiful, mostly red with a streak of green leafery down the middle. Another favorite hole is 19. its a long carry over what looked to be pretty wet marsh. I didn't have to go down and wade, but I would treat it as water, and its very possible to reach the basket from the tee in one shot going directly over it.

The course has recently been mowed, and I can only judge by what I've seen, which is a well-maintained ball golf curse turned over to the disc hurlers. Three cement tees per hole, with the sign from the far tees pointing you towards the other tees.(which are usually visible from the far tee anyways.)

So, about those carts. I know they would be impractical on most disc golf courses, but it would be fantastic if they were more universal in the sport. Especially on a course with length like this, they speed up play a lot. Everyone tees off, then hops in the cart to get to the closest disc. Amazing. You can forget your bag, too. There is essentially a rack in the back where you can line up your discs. And since there is no underbrush here, finding discs is easy; you can drive almost anywhere.It's going to be tough to go back to walking a course.
Cons: The flow isn't top notch. Sure, you get a map when you sign in. But next tee signs would still be appreciated in a number of locations. I do prefer an obvious path leading to the next hole, and I've seen that even on open ball golf courses like this one.

Holy Moly

1    6/13/2010   6/16/2010
Review By: Daddy_Dragon
Pros: This is a great place for the "Gun Show" as I call it. What I mean is that you must have a heck of an arm to make it since it use to be golf ball course. It was wonderful for me since I really don't get to open up with my drives that much with wooded courses. Concrete pads for the pro tees. Use of a golf cart was a plus (that would have been a lot of walking).
Cons: The Pro tees were the only concreted sections. The others were on natural grass. My brother (who I got interested in the game) had to play off the Pro Tee because he got frustrated trying to locate the others. The advertisement for $1.00 to play and a small fee for a cart was a joke. In order to use the cart, one had to pay $5.00. That is fine, but if you playing and not driving a cart, you still have to pay $5.00. So my brother and I got separate carts. What's the use of paying $5.00 if all you're gonna do is go for the ride? Why pay five dollars a piece to share a cart?
Other Thoughts: Since it use to be a ball course, it has bathroom facilities, club house, pro shop, covered area for talking and socializing. But I did not like to "Pro Shop" and it's lack of equipment. I love Barnet Park in Orlando. Barnet Park is a "Pro Shop" in my eyes, not this place in Ocala. But overall, I enjoyed this place, and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys "Disk Golf".