Ocala, FL
Hole #4 White Tee

Cart golf

1    4/16/2014   4/16/2014
Review By: chainsmoker12
Pros: It was nice to walk in to the clubhouse and see a rack with discs next to all the Ping and Nike apparel. I paid $12 dollars for my nephew and myself. More than a fair price for this experience. Not many times did I grab any less than a teebird off of the tee (my nephew played the short tees). Most approaches were heavily guarded by huge live oaks with Spanish moss hanging down. (Iron leaves?). I had an awesome time and would pay more than they were charging.
Cons: The tees were a little confusing to find but I rented a cart and this was not an issue. The grass was pretty high and the stinging nettles were stinging me crazy. They were mowing while we were out there which lets me know they do get out there. I would guess it had been two weeks since they last mowed.

So About Those Carts

1    8/11/2013   8/13/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: There's a lot to like about the course at Pine Oaks, even before you get to the carts. This is a long, tough course filled with long, tough holes. Hole average 421 feet from the middle tees and 505 from the longs. That's over 24 holes. That's a lot of golf.

Of course you will get to air it out a few times, how could you not with that kind of distance? But you will have to play careful as well. Many a fairway starts long and open before confronting you with trees. blocking your approach shot. Others, like 16, present the trees at once. If you can get through the tunnel, you should have an open drive towards the pin. So while this course is filled with bombs, they aren't straightforward bombs.

There is also water present on a number of holes. While most water holes aren't carries, they are creatively placed to force your hand. Two of the ponds are very clean. I tossed a Dragon in the water on 3 and another on 7. I left them and circled back after 12 and the current had pushed them close enough to shore to grab them with a stick. There's a true carry later on, over a pond thick with red algae of some type. Anything that goes in there isn't coming back but the pond is beautiful, mostly red with a streak of green leafery down the middle. Another favorite hole is 19. its a long carry over what looked to be pretty wet marsh. I didn't have to go down and wade, but I would treat it as water, and its very possible to reach the basket from the tee in one shot going directly over it.

The course has recently been mowed, and I can only judge by what I've seen, which is a well-maintained ball golf curse turned over to the disc hurlers. Three cement tees per hole, with the sign from the far tees pointing you towards the other tees.(which are usually visible from the far tee anyways.)

So, about those carts. I know they would be impractical on most disc golf courses, but it would be fantastic if they were more universal in the sport. Especially on a course with length like this, they speed up play a lot. Everyone tees off, then hops in the cart to get to the closest disc. Amazing. You can forget your bag, too. There is essentially a rack in the back where you can line up your discs. And since there is no underbrush here, finding discs is easy; you can drive almost anywhere.It's going to be tough to go back to walking a course.
Cons: The flow isn't top notch. Sure, you get a map when you sign in. But next tee signs would still be appreciated in a number of locations. I do prefer an obvious path leading to the next hole, and I've seen that even on open ball golf courses like this one.

Not bad at all

1    7/14/2013   7/16/2013
Review By: boursin
Pros: On an old ball course. NIce basket placement. Good long somewhat open holes. varied shots can be made. Some H20 to keep you honest. the players on the course were great and very friendly. the proshop personel were great.
Cons: the grass should be cut, it was very high. threw discs in the middle of the course and had to hunt for a while to find them (not good). Signage could be improved a bit. A little confusing sometimes trying to find the next tee pad
Other Thoughts: Super nice course. If they would just cut the fairways and leave the rough this course would get a 5 rating and be right up there with the best of them in FLA. I know they are worried about expenses that is why they did away with the last 9 hole ball course they could not afford to keep it open. I would pay $5 so they could cut the grass to make it a much better course. Spend the $$ and rent a cart, this will help with the long grass issue.. Also eat your wheaties this course will test your stamina in the summer bring pleanty of H20 to drink. Club house was great and the beers were cold. Big Arms rejoice you will love this place

Wont be going back

2-4    6/8/2013   6/9/2013
Review By: pimpski03
Pros: The course has a good layout and great T pads
Cons: I played this course about 3 months ago and said i will not go back because the weeds and tall grass were so bad. I had some family come into town so i decided to give this course another chance. When I arrived i saw that the course looked terrible again. There were weeds up to my knees and it made it kind of hard to throw and find discs. The family I was with is a die hard disc golfer who was very upset to see a course with such potential going to crap.
Other Thoughts: This course is directly next to a ball golf course. When your on the dingy disc golf course and look over to the ball course and see what the disc golf course could be its kind of depressing.....All I need to say is "c'mon pine oaks, dont neglect your disc golf course. It has so much potential".

Lengthy course

1    8/16/2010   8/17/2010
Review By: Hitman
Pros: 1- The wide open distance. On most of the holes you can just let it rip & not pay for it to bad if you threw a not so perfect shot.
2- Golf Carts. It's a real long walk.
3- Well maintained
4- Nice lanscaping
5- Multiple tees. Blue tees are concrete. Well marked.
6- Bathrooms on the course.
Cons: 1- Terrible markings if any for white or red tees. However the blue tees had nice marker posts showing where the other tees are supposed to be. We played the red tees & just agreed on a start spot based on the sign at the blue tee.
2- Next tee markings could be better.
Other Thoughts: If you walk the course you pay $1. $5 extra to get a cart. I would recommend getting a course map when you pay, that's the only way we stayed on course. Played mid-day during the week, we were the only ones on the course. Lost a disk on hole #7, my fault bad shot, a little to far left but man did it have some distance. Proud of that fact even though I lost the disc.

Holy Moly

1    6/13/2010   6/16/2010
Review By: Daddy_Dragon
Pros: This is a great place for the "Gun Show" as I call it. What I mean is that you must have a heck of an arm to make it since it use to be golf ball course. It was wonderful for me since I really don't get to open up with my drives that much with wooded courses. Concrete pads for the pro tees. Use of a golf cart was a plus (that would have been a lot of walking).
Cons: The Pro tees were the only concreted sections. The others were on natural grass. My brother (who I got interested in the game) had to play off the Pro Tee because he got frustrated trying to locate the others. The advertisement for $1.00 to play and a small fee for a cart was a joke. In order to use the cart, one had to pay $5.00. That is fine, but if you playing and not driving a cart, you still have to pay $5.00. So my brother and I got separate carts. What's the use of paying $5.00 if all you're gonna do is go for the ride? Why pay five dollars a piece to share a cart?
Other Thoughts: Since it use to be a ball course, it has bathroom facilities, club house, pro shop, covered area for talking and socializing. But I did not like to "Pro Shop" and it's lack of equipment. I love Barnet Park in Orlando. Barnet Park is a "Pro Shop" in my eyes, not this place in Ocala. But overall, I enjoyed this place, and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys "Disk Golf".

Bring your Big arm.

2-4    3/22/2010   5/11/2010
Review By: I3ooI3oo
Pros: Wow... At 12,125 from the Blues tees this course is long averaging 505 per hole. Concrete pads for the white tees start you off, manicured fairways allows for rollers and great skips. With long holes people tend to try to crank out their long drives possible, however unless you take in to consideration the wind you can find your self in the water. The ponds are lined so getting in them will get you kicked out however they do offer use of their pole to help retrieve your disc, which you will need to ask for at the pro shop.

At 855 this course has one of the longest hole I have played here in FL. With no elevation change, and water that you need to circumnavigate, this hole will make you work for that 5.

CARTS..... How many times do you get to drive around and play...
Cons: While there is distances listed on the tees for both the red and the white tees they are not there. We tried to find them and it is not likely that you can find 50% of them. The ones that you do find are mostly under tree cover which leads to slipping on the dead leaves on the ground.
Other Thoughts: Pro shop sells disc and accessories. There is also food available at certain times.

2-4    4/20/2010   4/23/2010
Review By: BENFTS
This review was updated on 8/17/2012
Pros: finally nice to see a course that shows the next development of courses. the length was long and required a ball golf like approach. shot placment is key on some holes. 24 holes with mach III baskets. golf carts, pro shop, drinks, water on the course, concrete pads that are great, and only $1 to play. easy to find the next hole if you use the map the first time through. great flow on most holes.
Cons: would loke to see some brighter stripes or small flags on the baskets so they are more visiable from the tee.
Other Thoughts: wow. i love the lenght here, finally nice to play golf with a disc. for all the ball golfers out there you will understand and love this place.

Pine Oaks disc golf course

2-4    3/27/2010   4/4/2010
Review By: The Miniac
Pros: A very beautiful and well-manicured park. Carts! No underbrush at all until you get to the 20th hole.
Restrooms and water fountain located at farthest point away from club house, which can be accessed from all 3 loops. Clubhouse has disc golf equipment.
Cons: There were 8-10 baskets positioned on the top of a mound or with a drop-off behind them, which, IMnsHO, got tedious. There wasn't a single par 3 hole where I felt as if I could throw a midrange off of the tee. Many of the par 3s are 400' and a bit above, making it a FULL drive and a 50'-75' up-shot. With the drop offs behind baskets, a smart golfer will generally just lay up.
Tee pads can be slippery in the presence of dew, sand or mud.
Other Thoughts: A Mike Barnett/Denny Ritner joint venture. About 3 minutes off of I-75, this very accessible course features 24-holes of disc golf on a former 9-hole section of the Pine Oaks golf course, which is still operational. Complete with a clubhouse, grille, pro shop and carts, which the disc golfer can rent for their rounds. A very nice facility with some lovely old live oaks to weave through.

The red and white level tees are natural, sometimes to the point of not being marked at all. The blue level tees are 5x10' concrete with a light broom finish. A bit too light for my taste as I slipped several times in the early morning dew or if the tee had too much sand/mud on it. (Just after writing this, Nate Doss lost the playoff with Ken Climo on the 1st hole (tee #3) because he slipped on the tee and his disc went in the water)

Most of the par 4s and 5s are well laid out and give a blue-level thrower strong chances for birdies. Most of the par 3s require a full pull and seem better suited to a gold level player with an abundance of power.

There are some light elevation changes that had been built into the golf fairways, which add some nice flavor. Several Lakes come into play. (No swimming for discs allowed!)

Walking greens fee is cheap ($1?) But you pay more for the luxury of a cart ($6?)

YAYYYYYY

1    6/24/2009   6/24/2009
Review By: jesus
Pros: This place is fun. You have genuine golf shots and some longer holes that force you to play smart. The landscape is nice, being that it is on an old ball golf course. The potential for this place is unreal.
Cons: Ants.
Other Thoughts: If you are driving through the area, I would recommend checking it out.