Appleton, WI
Plamann Apple Creek 18 Share
Uploaded By: icedpuck Hole #16 (Taken 10/2011)
Hole #16 Approach

Great city park course

5+    6/22/2013   7/2/2013
Review By: BriZimm
Pros: This course is well-laid out and has excellent tees with garbage cans at every hole. I like the different elevations and the need for different throws because of it. The terrain also creates the feeling of a few different courses. The first few holes are on one side of the creek and a large wooded barrier. This is followed up with an open course for a few more holes. After an uphill hole (11) you're brought to the next section of the course after crossing the small park road. You have the option of splitting here to the 9 hole or continuing through the 18 hole course. The next three holes wrap around a large hill and you cross the same park road again and head to the finishing stretch with two of my favorite holes in a row.
Cons: The only con that I see is the water drainage. in the open area of the course a column of standing water interrupts 3 holes. A simple, but small footbridge would alleviate a lot of headaches for people. The other issues on Holes 1 and 3 can be fixed by digging the sections out and using gravel under the new sod. I'm not sure why this isn't done.
Other Thoughts: With the drainage issues mentioned, my favorite time to disc is in the mornings after a big rainstorm. The course is much less crowded and I wear some old sandals and prepare to get a little wet and muddy.

Plamann is only 5 minutes from me and is one of my favorites in the Fox Valley area.

Great open course

5+    11/10/2012   11/17/2012
Review By: Putter
Pros: Free.
Well groomed.
Concrete pads with benches near by.
Mach 3 baskets.
Course flows well.
Information board with postings.
Option of playing 27 holes.
Cons: Not open year round. Course open usually late spring to late fall.
Large groups beyond 6 frequently in summer months.
Course can be very wet for days after it rains.
Other Thoughts: I grew up playing here. More than a decade later I still rank this course in my top 10.

Stopped out for a quick round

1    10/2/2012   10/3/2012
Review By: Awol
Pros: - Good variety of holes
- Benches at most of the tees
- Bag hangers and garbage at every tee.
- Well groomed
Cons: - A second tee would be nice for some of these holes.
- Blind baskets require a bit of wandering if you are a first-time (I was.) Minor complaint though.
- Signs could be a bit more descriptive. To explain a bit, the signs seemed to be too small to show an appropriate scale for the hole. A dog leg left that was a sharp turn was shown the same way as a gentle dog leg. The signs seemed too cramped to offer what people expect from a sign.
Other Thoughts: Overall a great course, definitely worth stopping at. I wasn't able to try the suggested 27 hole path, but look forward to getting back out there to try it.

I can't speak to how busy it was. I only saw one other group on the course but I was there mid-day on a Tuesday.

5+    6/23/2011   5/28/2012
Review By: ZDotHalbach
Pros: Nice tee boxes and signs
Fairways are always mowed to perfection
Easy navigation
Great mix of hole lengths
Cons: Not to many benches
Can get crowded
Can have a lot of bugs at dusk
Other Thoughts: One of my favorite courses. A few minor improvements can bring this course to being top notch. I would not mind paying 2 - 5 dollars if that is what it takes to keep the fun ruiners out

5+    6/25/2011   6/25/2011
Review By: BKGuitar9
Pros: 1. Good variety in holes. Some fields, some trees, some open, some elevation in addition to great variation in distance.
2. Great, large concrete tee boxes.
2. Clean (Garbage cans on every hole)
3. Good signage
4. Great fairways- with the exception of a couple of holes every fairway is grass
5. Huuuge park
6. Great layout and flow

Cons: 1. Holes 1,3,5,6,7,9 often acquire large amounts of water
2. Late summer = lots of apples on the ground. Lots of apples on the ground = lots of bees
3. Highest chance of encountering large groups of rude disc golfers in the area as Plamann is often crowded.
4. It's always more windy in comparison to other local parks
Other Thoughts: My favorite place to go when it isn't windy or crowded.

Plamman 18

5+    5/17/2011   5/17/2011
Review By: DiscGolfer947
This review was updated on 6/8/2012
Pros: 1) nice country club feel
2) concrete tee pads offer great footings for drives.
3) great use of the hills and small patches of woods.
4) has a few good places to bomb a disc
5) very good flow throughout course.
6) practice basket
7) well manicured
8) benches and trash cans at nearly every hole
9) the Medoview 9 picks up after hole 11, makes a good 27 hole course if you have the time.
Cons: 1) there's a drainage problem that causes holes 1, 3, 6,7, and 9 to be very wet and soupy more often than not.
2) holes 7 and 8 run very close together and can cause problems with golfers on the adjacent hole.
3) VERY undesrciptive tee signs
4) busy, busy, busy
Other Thoughts: An all around good course that has had trouble keeping up with the times and really has no legitimate par 4s or 5s.

Plamann Apple creek 18

1    10/30/2010   12/3/2010
Review By: Terry C
Pros: -Very nice well kept park, well kept fairways, rolling hills, surounded by grassy medows.
-Fantastic use of elevation
-Nice concrete tees
-Trash cans on most holes
-Tee signs
-Easy to follow course flow
-an optional 9 holes come into play about halfway through (at hole 12)
-A creek winds through several holes adding an extra obstical, shallow enough to retrieve discs easily.
-Many old and beautiful trees make certain shots fun and challenging.
-Several blind pin placements
-Baskets in good shape
-Several benches at holes
-Dual pin placements
-Excellent variety of short to long holes, left to right shots etc...
-Erosion mats around some of the teeboxes is helpful for preventing erosion, and also helps to retain turf in these areas.
-Nice basket placements, several baskets are on hills and offer roll away potential
Cons: -Thick rough surrounds some holes making errant shots difficult to find
-Course gets muddy and soft after rain
Other Thoughts: I had a great time playing this course, Im not sure why they didnt just add the optional 9 holes to the other 18 holes. This seems a bit goofy. You also start the optional 9 holes at hole 12 which seems out of place. I would agree with some other reviewers in the fact that if this course were 27 holes instead of 18+ 9 alternates I would have rated it higher. The course was very fun to play and I would love to come back and give it another shot now that I have seen the blind pin placements and have a good feel for where everything is. This is a Rich Martin designed course which adds to its overall coolness. Rich is the man!! He really knows how to use the land he has available to maximise its potential for disc golf, hes a great designer. Its definitely worth a trip to play if your around the area.

Apple Creek 18

1    10/30/2010   11/1/2010
Review By: Jukeshoe
Pros: - The Plamann Apple Creek 18-holer is situated in a spacious, well-maintained, multi-use park along with the Plamann Meadowview 9-hole course. After Apple Creek's 12th hole, you are given the option of playing Meadowview's 9 holes before looping back to Apple Creek's 13th hole.
- Moderate elevation and tightly-spaced trees and bushes require precision and skill to score well. Elevation, as well as the course's trees and brush, is used well throughout. Most holes are in the 300' range or shorter, and several are aceable. A few longer open holes scattered here and there, although nothing punishingly long.
- Risk/reward opportunities throughout. A small creek comes into play on several of the holes, but isn't deep enough in most places to lose a disc in. Most risk comes from trying to hit the "perfect line." Trees will smack you down and ruin your upshot/putt if given half the chance.
- A good mix of hole styles. Everything from short straight ace runs to bombing off of small hills. Trees provide the main obstacles, but do so in a way that doesn't become boring or repetitive. Good mix of anny and hyzer lines. Plenty of blind holes to navigate.
- Concrete tees in great shape. Baskets in good condition for the most part. Adequate signage, trash buckets, and benches at each hole.
- Dual pin positions, although apparently the baskets get moved only very rarely (once every couple of years or so).
Cons: - The signs, while in good shape and easy on the eyes, don't really depict the hole layout very well. Most end up looking very much the same. This becomes a slight issue with the number of blind holes.
- A few of the baskets had chains that have come loose from the ring that holds them, allowing the chain-links to hang straight down.
- A little on the short side, but not short enough to be super easy or boring. The addition of long tees (if possible) would make this course outstanding.
Other Thoughts: - As a stand-alone 18, this course is a solid 3.5 discs. Coupled with Meadowview's optional 9 holes, this 27 hole course delivers and would rated higher on my scale.

A- = Amazing course!

1    6/27/2010   10/11/2010
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up in my list of 18+ hole courses:

1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == B
(Overall not a very punitive course - you can save par on most holes despite pretty much any normal screw-up. This grade is boosted some by several of the holes giving you intriguing choices on how you can best play them...decision making depending on how you are feeling/playing, which way the wind is blowing, etc.)

2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I'm a Blue level player (950ish skill) who throws 300' accurately, 360' max. == B+
(Minus about 2-3 holes that are too short to be rewarding and 2 or so that are too long to ever expect anything other than a 3, this course fits me perfectly! A low round (say 40-45) would really tell me I was on my game.)

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == B+
(Although this course is more open than wooded, the great use of terrain makes up for that by adding a great fun factor and good challenge....especially when windy.)

4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == A
(Much more of a manicured feeling than the in-the-woods feeling I love so much, but seclusion is pretty good on over half the course and it is truly beautiful in a golf course sort of way.)

5) Bonus points for multi-throw holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A

My grades for the individual components average to a B+, but this course has a perfect combination off all it offers to somehow gets it into the solid A- stratosphere on my ratings list. I think it is the incredible fun-factor of this course that boosts it up.
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well this course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. See my profile for specifics on my rating philosophy.

I fancy myself as a connoisseur of good course design and I am a competitive Blue level (950-ish rated) with mid-level power (accurate to 300' with max D of 360'). Since I have played a decent number of courses (150+ 18-hole, 90+ 9-hole as of late 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me.....and that's the fun of things here.

Home Brewed Disc

2-4    8/13/2010   8/16/2010
Review By: Craton
Pros: Flow- The signage for this course was one of the best I've seen in a course. The signs unique take on the holes were characterized by a simple molding of the hole at hand. Paired with the intuitive layout and short walks between holes, I found it to be particularly easy to get from one hole to the next.
Upkeep- The course was kept in very good shape, and I was hard pressed to find trash laying about.
Variety- There were a surprising amount of variety packed into this 18 hole gem. I was able to play just about every disc in my bag for one reason or another- some straight shooters, a steep downhill around 380' that was particularly fun, and a number of lines to be had.
General: What perhaps struck me the most impressive was the utilization of space. There are a few holes that were in the 250-300' range that were placed on top of a hill, a shorter shot that actually requires a bit more power than a normal flat hole with the same distance would demand. This utilizes the space very well, in that I am forced to bust out a distance driver, but only have to walk 300' to retrieve my disc.
Cons: The biggest complaint that I had was the ability of the course to handle water. We played after a pretty nasty storm, but even so, there were a few spots where a simple creek bed cut into the clay would serve the course wonders, if not add another feature. There are patches where the sod absolutely does not allow the water to flow down what should be valleys, and the result is a hidden marsh trap that you almost can't avoid.

In relation to this, there are a few holes where, once again, some landscaping would help the course dearly in wet weather. The erosion is fairly bad on a few holes in particular, which in the future could ruin the area.
Other Thoughts: This course was a blast to play- I'd say if you go through Appleton, WI and miss it, you have completely missed an experience. With such a gorgeous, low traffic course offering the variety that it has, I will be looking forward to visiting it again in the future.