Hinesville, GA
Course Sign / Map

Good Practice Course

5+    5/24/2014   5/31/2014
Review By: Barneybboy
Pros: The course is in a nice location and easy to find. The grounds are kept up very nicely with very little debris to clutter it up. Hole are easy to find because it follows a walking trail so walk counter clockwise and it's easy as that.
Cons: The course as I said is located by a walking path, so if the park is busy you will find yourself waiting to throw for people to walk by and get out potential disc flying area. Holes 1,3,4, and 9 are all hard turns to the right. So right handed throwers expect to lay up on the first throw. The course was also built before some of the other things in the park. You will find that there are tennis courts on hole 8 you have to play around, hole 6 has a building and fencing with barbed wire on top and hole 5 has soccer fields on the left so don't curve it to hard when a game is going.
Other Thoughts: Not a bad place to go to just practice throwing differnt throws or just to play for fun. Nothing technical at all about the course.

Mixed Bag

1    9/17/2013   9/18/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: I'll start with two cautionary notes.

1. Do not attempt to play when there is ANY activity in the fields. Even if the events themselves are not in the way, the parked cars WILL be. a football game or baseball practice will cause you to lose at least two out of nine holes.

2. Camera phone the map, or have access to the map on this site. You will need it. Even with the map, you may find yourself scatching your head looking for the next tee.

Ok, critical information out of the way, let's talk about the course. I started on two, because well, that's where I parked. Wait, back up, I parked near basket eight, walked a way in either direction and found neither eight or ninth tee. Got back in the car, loaded up the map, drove to where I thought one would be and started on two.

My first impression was a strong one. Two was fairly straightforward but it successfully avoided any of the fields/courts.

It was three where I began to think that the course might be more interesting than the typical athletic field course. It's a dogleg but you start at the foot. In other words, you have to throw a sharp right hook to start and then traverse the fairway from there. Cool.

Then four impressed me. Where the walking path isolates a section of woods, a trail was blazed through the woods, creating a quite narrow fairway. Clever.

Five is a 550-footer. And its narrow, between a fence and the woods. The field on the other side of the fence was empty, so I was free to float it over the field and then fade back over the fence to the fairway. Awesome.
Cons: But after that, it is not pretty. Six is a u-curve around a two-story building. I can see it tempting the big arms to go over the building, which is probably a bad idea.

Seven is 500 plus again, but it's over a parking lot. You lose this hole if there are any cars. Likewise, eight is a disaster if there is any activity in the park.

Now, even the well-designed holes will leave you waiting for walkers and runners to clear the path. And five may not be playable in soccer season. But if you want to play seven and eight, be careful when you come.

After that, it is a loooong way to the ninth tee, a hole with a considerable amount of foot and road traffic in the way. Good luck. It does finish close to the start though.

I played one last, and was glad I hadn't started it. A short hole that throws straight at a building.
Other Thoughts: Not sure how much access they had, but there is some nice woods to the side of the walking path on the later holes, that seems to be park property. Ideally, some of the fairways could be moved there.

Some good, worthy holes here are basically sabotaged by a few real duds.

It's a decent enough nine-holer if its empty but unplayable if there's an activity going on.

5+    5/9/2013   5/10/2013
Review By: spiderwaldo
Pros: The course is very well kept. All holes are very well marked. And I enjoy the openness of the majority of the holes.
Cons: Major out of bounds areas. Some fenced in areas that are in throwing path and some always locked making it hard to retrieve disc.
Other Thoughts: I do over all enjoy this course for it is a left handed course and I am left handed. See right ganders struggle with some of the holes on course.

Incorrectly named because we saw a HAWK not an Eagle.

1    2/13/2012   2/27/2012
Pros: 1) Nice signs wih Hole #, Par, distance and a very nice graphic map. They were helpful in figuring out exactly where all the blind baskets are placed!

2) Tees are marked with a concrete paver stuck in the ground. Watch for those as well as the tee-sign posts.

3) Nice distance variation on the holes out here with one under 200', 3 in the 200-300' range, a couple in the 300', and two more in the 500' range. You need all sorts of discs out here to be able to execute the holes.

4) Nice map of the course and layout at the first tee . . . be sure to look closely at it before leaving because it will definitely help you navigate the course.

5) Port-o-potty available on the 5th hole along the walkpath. There might also be a bathroom in one of the buildings if the porto is not available or for the ladies who don't want to use these smelly plastic rooms.
Cons: 1) Grass tees always leave a lot to be desired in my opinion.

2) Long long walks between
multiple holes creates confusion.

3) The routing of the course is pretty straight forward but without a directional you might not go the right way unless you paid attention ahead of time where all the baskets were. Fortunately I drove in past #9 so I knew where the course ended and I had seen a couple other baskets prior to beginning he course.

4) I would not call this course beginner friendly because of how easy it would be to lose discs in the wooded peripheral areas. There also is a lot of OB in play here if you consider all of the sports fields (inside the fences) and the parking lots OB.

5) The shots on #3, and 4 just do not feel natural or at all like disc golf. I don't want to say the shots are impossible, but they really just aren't even fun to throw because of how extreme the turns are.

6) I like that there is a two shot hole (#6) out there . . . but I hate that they had to use the building to force the placement shot. I almost just went up and over the building just to see if I could . . . my wife talked me out of it.

7) I like the longer 500' holes out here but I again hate the fact that they needed a fence and netting to make the hole tighter. If only they would have carved a fairway through the woods I would have been so much happier. It almost seems like they were not allowed to cut any trees down or something.

8) Walk path will be in your way many times (well the people walking on the path). Be aware before you throw.
Other Thoughts: I am not sure why this course was rated as high as it is . . .there are much better designs and much better courses all over the play and I just would not call this course average. Perhaps my opinion early on kept me from seeing the redeeming value of the holes but I just did not enjoy myself out here. You may enjoy it, but I did not and therefore you wouldn't see me come back there so the rating will be much lower than the average.

5+    2/21/2012   2/21/2012
Review By: tiger5
Pros: This is pretty much a mid-range and putter course. Not a bad beginners course if you're new to the game or trying to get your kids into it.
Cons: This course leaves a lot to be desired. It's a decent practice course with three soccer fields to go and practice on, but I think they could do a lot more with the area they have. If they made the course in the opposite direction I think that would open up a lot more of your bag when it comes to shot selection. Lots of people use this park for exercise and it can make you wait for several minutes before you can hurry up and take a shot. I really think changing the course around would do a lot, right now it seems to be a very left-hand friendly course, which I think someone else mentioned, but it's true. The course does have potential though. I've heard that they are planning on changing a few of the holes and using more of the wooded area which could certainly add to the mix.
Other Thoughts: Watch out for all the high school teams and people who run and walk through the fairways without knowing it.

Some long holes

2-4    8/7/2009   8/12/2009
Review By: KINGDUCK
Pros: Easy access to holes, not many trees blocking the way to holes, can see the tee box to the hole on most holes
Cons: some holes are extremely long, soccer fences and buildings are sometimes a pain that doesn't give much leeway before being OB.
Other Thoughts: Most holes geared towards left handed people

Nice but needs improvement

2-4    3/30/2009   3/30/2009
Review By: 33tango
Pros: Good opportunity to expose people to disc golf. Course is brand new. Nice park.
Cons: OB areas and some fairway layout leaves something to be desired. Fairways are intertwined with the exercise path encircling the park meaning you'll be left waiting to throw if it's busy or risk hurting someone.
Other Thoughts: #1 is backed up by some windows of what looks to be a retirement home? I'm concerned a long drive there will mean a broken window and no more disc golf.

#3 or 4 fairway was U shaped, impossibly tight and should be reworked. The next fairway is bordered on the left by a six foot chain link fence that made retrieving errant shots time consuming. The same fairway is bordered on the right by a blackwater ditch guarded by thorny vines/bushes. The next fairway has a building on the left side with a 12 foot high roofed back storage area that is very easy to lose a disc on.

I'm sure the eagle scout that designed the course did what he thought was best with the area he had available, I just wish he had consulted with some of the local pros before he put the course in. Some of the pin positions here will need to move for safety, some for playability.

Brand new change of pace!

1    2/24/2009   2/25/2009
Review By: SavannahSean
Pros: Brand spanking new baskets. Excellent signage, easy to find. Utilizes the surroundings to maximize the challenge. For the space this course fits into it's very well layed out with lots of OB, and cleverly protected basket placements.
Cons: Rather far drive from Savannah where I live. Only 9 holes, but I'm sure alternate T pads to create the back nine will be in place shortly. Lots of distractions, at a busy park with tons of pedestrians/spectators of other sports.
Other Thoughts: There are 3 courses within an hour of Savannah this being the 3rd and newest. "The Sarge" in Hardeeville, and "TTP" in Pooler GA are both heavily wooded long courses that challenge pros from the long tee's. This course is wide open and anyone with a big drive will love hole five six and seven. It's a nice change of pace, and somewhere to work on throwing new discs without hitting all the trees you would at the other courses around town.