Madison, AL
Dublin Park Share
Uploaded By: ChrisL430 Hole #9 (Taken 10/2012)
-- / -- Par / Distance:

Pitch and putt and that's it

1    4/18/2013   4/22/2013
Review By: davetherocketguy
Pros: - It's a DG course in a very nice looking park.
- Grass is mowed.
- Other than some fairways being a little close to each other there really are no serious safety hazards.
Cons: - Signage...lol wut?
- No teepads just cheap little plastic fence posts with numbers on them.
- Not only are these baskets cheap but many of them are in sore need of some TLC.
Other Thoughts: This is a classic example of a park district or park department (or whatever it happens to be in this case) trying to shoe-horn a 9 hole course into an impossibly small area for as little money as possible - at least that's what this looks like. This course is also a fine example of the concept that not every plot of land in the world is a good spot for a dg course. I see the designer work here though, it appears to me they did the best they could with what little they were allowed to work with and made the absolute most of what is here. Unfortunately, with the lack of maintenance, bad baskets and disappointing lack of appropriate signage I can't give this anything more than a 1. Poor is an apt description compared to the other courses I've played. Some previous reviews state that this is a good place to bring a newb to introduce them to disc golf. I completely disagree especially with courses like Bahran and Mastin in the area - those are much better for that purpose. If I were introduced to the sport with this course I would've walked away and never looked back.

Go ahead and mark my review as "not helpful" because unless some serious hard-core improvements are made I will never waste my time coming back here even if I just happen to be in the Huntsville area. If I lived across the street from Dublin Park and gas was $10/gallon I might be tempted to come here once in a while.

Dublin Park

1    1/16/2012   1/16/2012
Review By: 3OrangeWhips
Pros: Located in a very nice community park with plenty of parking, restrooms and a gigantic kids play area. The course plays along a sloping area isolated from other park activities. The course flows well and is a great place to introduce beginners to the game or play a round with the kids. Although the course is pretty short and repetitive, it is actually laid out nicely with just enough trees and elevation to present a decent challenge. While the first six holes are all in the 175'-200' range, the final three holes are in the 250'-275' range and play considerably longer because they are uphill.
Cons: The baskets are the least sticky I have ever encountered. I had four or five putts smack the middle of the chains and go right through. The baskets are single-chain and very lightweight, almost as if they were homemade. The support poles are very thin and most are leaning. The only way I could get a putt to stick was if I managed to lob it into the basket rather than crashing into the chains. The tee pads are natural and marked by a short PVC post set in concrete with a vinyl sticker denoting the hole number. Despite the compact layout and the fact that every tee is immediately following the previous basket, it is hard to follow the intended layout. This is because when you stand at any tee, you can see all nine baskets. I twice finished a hole only to realize I played to the wrong basket--fortunately it is a short walk back!
Other Thoughts: On the day I played, the winds were gusting about 20-25 MPH. Under those conditions, it was maddening to place a drive within 15 feet of the pin only to have a nice putt go right through the chains like the basket was simply an illusion. I must have tried 25 practice putts after I finished my round and only two of them stayed in. With better baskets, this would actually be a pretty nice pitch and putt. As it is, it is just a way to bulk up your "Courses Played" list on DGCR.