Las Vegas, NV
Mountain Crest Park Share
Uploaded By: Discette Hole #14 (Taken 6/2013)

Decent open park course

1    1/24/2013   2/1/2013
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a large multi-use park. The fairways are grassy and nicely groomed with lurking sidewalk and desert OB on many of the holes. If you play all these as OB, it adds quite a bit of risk to some of the shots especially when running the basket from the tee. There is a wide range of hole lengths, from ace runs to longer shots that let you rip a longer drive.

The trees are pretty scattered and most are fairly small, but the design uses them fairly well. Most of the drives feel pretty open but you do have to consider shot placement and there are a couple holes where you have to hit a specific line to get your birdie.
Cons: I like the chance to throw some longer drives in the open, but there's a little too much of that on this course. There isn't a whole lot more to work with but it still allows for pretty simple hyzers on just about every shot. A couple spots have some awkward flow, make sure to take a map and pay attention to the directional markers for the next tee on each tee sign. The sidewalk didn't seem too crowded, but with several blind shots crossing the walkways there is a potential for safety issues and conflicts with other park users.
Other Thoughts: Beginners will find this course longer but forgiving, with no punishment for errant shots and no lost discs. More experienced players will find this an ok place to work on longer drives and shot placement in the wind, but not many technical line shaping skills are necessary here.

Lot of sun but more trees than you'd think

5+    11/21/2012   6/28/2012
Review By: Hector Chain
This review was updated on 11/23/2012
Pros: I was afraid that this Vegas course would be completely open with barely any trees. Honestly, the pictures make it looks more open that it plays. The design forces you to consider the trees - which tend to be on the younger side - along with a variety of desert landscaping. Although there are some holes where you can just rip a drive over the top of everything, I did find the design forcing me to throw some tough turnover shots in the stiff wind (if you didn't know, it's always windy in Vegas).

Holes range from 200 to over 500 feet, but most are in the 275-375 feet range. Navigation here was generally good, and many tee pads are easily visible from the last basket. It did take me awhile to find the tees for holes 12 and 18, even with the map.

The yellow baskets are easily visible, aside from the holes where the view is blocked from the tee.

If you play the desert landscaping as OB (you should), there are some good risk/reward shots.
Parking was plentiful.
Cons: The tee signs are all aerial photographs with a line from the basket, but the perspective doesn't change on the maps. So the map might show you throwing from the upper right to the lower left, which makes it a little tough to orient yourself ("okay, we're throwing toward that gazebo…is the basket to the right or left of it?"). The tees are not overly long, which may impede your run up.

There is a lot of throwing over sidewalks. I think this "con" gets overplayed sometimes, though. Are these sidewalks actually used heavily? Is this a real danger or theoretical? I was there in the middle of the afternoon on a Thursday. The park was getting used, but not much with pedestrians.

The course is pretty flat.

There are no alternate tees or basket positions from what I could tell. There is probably no room for alternate tees, but different positions could be a possibility.
Other Thoughts: This is the busiest course in town, but I've never seen it overcrowded.

My first round was on a 105-degree day at about 2:00pm. The heat was not as oppressive as I feared. It doesn't feel that different than a 90-degree day in the Midwest. But the direct sunlight is intense, so cover up. And if you're from out of town, you'll need more water than you're used to.

After playing every course in town, this one is my favorite.

mountain crest

1    12/19/2011   12/21/2011
Review By: str8
This review was updated on 12/27/2013
Pros: Nice beginner friendly course. Decent variety of shots required. Couple of holes with good length.
Cons: Missing some signs. Water hazards (sprinklers) made for some hurried shots and kicked up the chill (45-50 degree morning). Summertime play would get no shade.
Other Thoughts: Very clean, multi-use park. Multiple restrooms close by. Locals were friendly and helpful.

B- = Bit Better Than Average

2-4    5/13/2008   4/19/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- C+
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- B+
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B