Las Vegas, NV
Mountain Crest Park Share
Uploaded By: Discette Hole #10 (Taken 6/2013)

Fun Quick Easy

1    11/18/2013   11/20/2013
Review By: andylibrande
Pros: Fun course that is in a well-maintained park. Relatively short and straight-forward but uses the terrain much better then most city-type parks. Loved how all of the grass was in good condition and how well the park was maintained.

We had a rest day in Las Vegas and showed-up here with no research and it was easy to find and easy to play. Played on a Monday mid-morning and the only people in the park were other disc-golfers so it was nice and relaxed.
Cons: Hole #1 is not marked but is relatively obvious. Otherwise all other holes were well-marked except the walk to #18 (still easy to find).
Other Thoughts: Great spot for a quick and straight-forward round of disc golf.

Nothing too challenging but still interesting to play in a nice park setting.

1    12/29/2012   12/29/2012
Review By: HEATER
Pros: Well marked course with the land and baskets in great shape.

Great use of the land.

Great signage and easy to navigate except the walk from 17-18.

Mostly short holes between 200 and 325 feet with one or two over 400.

Good use of the slight elevation changes through the park.

Great views of the mountains in the background.

Can be played quickly if not busy.

Met some friendly locals.
Cons: Played on a Saturday afternoon and the park was packed! Saw two mob groups of 8 players on the course that created a substantial backup for many holes.

A couple holes on the back 9 are downright dangerous. 13 comes to mind where the basket is a blind shot and directly over a walking path.

A couple holes play really close to the road.
Other Thoughts: A short but quite fun course not too far (20 mins) from the strip.

Worth bringing a couple discs if you need some reprieve from the chaos on the strip.

Grassy Knoll in the Desert

1    9/24/2012   9/28/2012
Review By: jasonc
Pros: This is a nice park-style course that offers plenty of variety.

The Park District does a very nice job keeping the grass alive. This was a pleasant surprise in the middle of the desert.

The baskets were nice, but the loop for the inner ring of chains was missing from most of the baskets. I am assuming that some kids with too much time on their hands caused this, so I am not listing baskets as a "con". Hopefully the local club or park district will handle this issue in the near future.

The teepads were nice and level.

The signs were good, but some were mounted upside-down. I found myself tilting my head on more than a few holes to try and figure out where to look for the next basket.

I believe #1 was the signature hole here. This will become a rather difficult hole as the trees mature over time.

On several holes, the basket was not visible from the teepad either because of trees or elevation changes.

The available elevation was utilized very well here.

The walking path/sidewalk can and should be used as OB. This will add some difficulty to a mostly open layout.
Cons: There are various other park activities and shelters that are located very close to some fairways. On a nice day, this course is an accident waiting to happen. As other reviewers have mentioned, please be careful and don't hit anyone.

#13--#16 are close to the road. This could cause problems on windy days. It was very windy for my round and thankfully I only had 1 disc land in the street.
Other Thoughts: Pro/advanced level players will find some difficult holes here on their first round, but will most likely still score very well.

Recreational level and new players will be challenged here at Mountain Crest.

This is a fun course with plenty of opportunities for alternate tees and/or safari holes.

I would be happy to play another round here on my next trip to Vegas.

Please be careful and don't gamble on this course. I know it's tempting while here in Vegas. ;) However, please use caution and spotters if other park users or disc golfers are in the vicinity of whichever hole you are playing.

5+    9/2/2012   9/3/2012
Review By: bdodson
Pros: I like that you can go throw some plastic and get a round in in an hour.

The grass is nice and green in the middle of dead heat summer.

Layout is good use of the land available
Cons: Not disc golf dedicated and public use is public use. I am happy to have the course here so I hope disc golfers are courteous. EG there were about 1000 people there tonight so I got seven holes in (with my two my boys) and was happy that I got those 7 in (holiday weekend)

I am not a big fan of some of the pin locations, lots of sidewalks creating difficult islands left to chance rather than skill....maybe i am just not good enough for the skill!
Other Thoughts: There is risk of the course being pulled because of the bad apples, I do my part and say hi to the other users and let them have the right of way. This is defintely not a championship course but for those who like to play for fun this is a good spot

New Vegas DG Vs. Old Vegas DG

2-4    9/1/2011   9/4/2011
Review By: nygfaninva
Pros: 18 baskets. Brand new DiscCatchers. Easy to navigate. Many extras such as bathrooms, trash cans everywhere, benches near or on almost every tee. Good use of a small area to create challenges.
Cons: Multiple use park. Many things and activities to do at this park so on a busy day I imagine the threat of hitting people would be high. Windy, with many holes near a busy street and not far from backyards of residential community. (not sure if the wind is common, but each time I visited Las Vegas the wind was obnoxious, LOL.)
Other Thoughts: I titled this review New Vegas Vs. Old Vegas, this comes from a comparison between Mountain Crest and Sunset Park (the other Vegas course I have reviewed). Sunset has older baskets and is an older course, from what I can tell, and seems to be old school Vegas DG. Mountain Crest seems brand new! This is seriously one of the most beautiful parks I have played disc golf in. Restrooms, trash cans, benches! Playgrounds, workout stations, sprinklers, I mean this park has EVERYTHING plus disc golf! If I lived near here I could see my family coming and enjoying the park as I played a full round. Just idyllic! Still and all I feel the course itself is basic. Not enough trees to raise the bar, but just enough to add a bit of challenge. Back to my comparison, Sunset is an old school challenging course with many mandos and OB's to raise the challenge and extra holes on top of the 18. Mountain Crest doesn't have the same challenges, but the overall amenities of this gorgeous park more than makes up for it. Thus I rate both parks a three, but for different reasons.

Favorite Holes and Notes:

Hole 1: Neat little tunnel shot between a long row of trees, but of course with no mando to mark it, most will throw around the tunnel. I didn't. Threw right down the tunnel and still made par. Treat as a mando for extra fun!

Hole 7: Up a hill and the down the backside of the hill. Can't even really see the basket over the hill top. Very fun and with a lot of wind a nice challenge.

Hole 12, 13, ect: These holes are on the edge of the park. the Tee boxes are on or near the street. They have spray painted on them warnings about not climbing over the walls of nearby homes to retrieve discs. If you are like me, you'll look at them and the homes across the street and scoff, but due to the aggressive wind, my first throw sailed across the street, but thankfully not over the wall. Wow! Pay attention to the warnings!!!!!! Still thanks to the wind, these holes can be very tricky and if they have the tee boxes painted with warnings I'm sure I am not the first or last to end up near the homes and deep in OB.

Grassy park!

1    2/23/2011   5/25/2011
Review By: JDee
Pros: This course was a lot of fun. I'm from salt lake and I loved visiting this course. It's not to difficult, but I love that you get to drive on almost every hole.
-Fairly open with a few trees. Grassy terrain so you will never lose a disc.
-was not very crouded when i went. If i was in Vegas longer, I would have definately played this course again. I will play it a few times next year when i visit again.
-Tee's were great, every whole marked very well.
-One of the most well kept courses I've been too.
Cons: -They day I went it was very windy. I'm not sure if this is common, but it is an open and fairly flat park, so I would imagine it gets pretty windy often. Despite the wind, this course is fun!
-People sitting around the grassy areas by trees in the shade. Just be careful of the people in the area just enjoying the park on a sunny day.
Other Thoughts: -I would have loved to have played this course multiple times on my trip to Vegas. I will play it again next February and I'll update this post if I have any more thoughts about the course.
-For a first timer at this course, i would absolutely recommend it. I look forward to playing it again.
Difficult? Not really.
Fun? Yes!

Most Complete Vegas Course in Terms of Course Design

1    11/19/2010   12/5/2010
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- Most Complete Course in Vegas. When compared to Sunset and some of the other courses in Vegas, Mountain Crest is a more complete course. Short holes, long holes, medium holes, hyzer shots, straight shots, (although no forced anhyzers/sidearms), lots of OB, and a few holes with great use of the minimal elevation available. On several Holes I threw my putter and mids off the tee… as compared to Sunset where I never threw any putters or mids off the tee.
- Concrete Tees/Signage. Like the other Vegas courses, Mountain Crest had beautiful concrete tees with a textured surface. Every hole also had adequate tee-signs… nothing special, but adequate enough to help with shot selection and navigation.
Cons:
- Potential Danger. The park is definitely a multi-use park… playgrounds, picnic shelters, walking paths, parking lots, etc are all in play… The hole that throws past the gazebo is especially questionable; I could easily see somebody wiping out a birthday party. There are also several holes that shoot towards or along a busy street and the potential for a noob to yank one out there is probably one of the safer bets you could make in Vegas.
- Lots of Golfers in Vegas. The course was packed. There were groups on every hole. This is great for the Vegas golf community, but it may slow down your round a little. We saw groups at every course we went to, but Mountain Crest was the busiest.
- Overall. Overall, I felt that Mountain Crest was the most complete course in Vegas. It was definitely less redundant than Sunset in terms of types of shots needed and length of holes, and was super fun to play. However, the course is too small to have a major event, and therefore probably has to be ranked the second best course in town.
- Chicago Brewery. I've been to more than 70 microbreweries during my travels and the Chicago Brewery, which is approximately 6 miles away from the course, is Fantastic! Of the 10 beers I sampled, 9 were better than 90% of other beers that I've had of that same style. And, their food was great too. I highly recommend their hot pastrami with cole slaw.
- My Las Vegas Rankings. I played 6 of the 7 courses in Vegas during a recent business trip. My rankings are: Sunset, Mountain Crest, Red Ridge, Pecole Ranch, Freedom, Carson Davis.
- My Score: -4 with 9 missed putts (post-brewery visit - Yikes!)

Worth the Trip

1    6/20/2010   6/22/2010
Review By: Martog
Pros: Friendly People
Some Challenging holes and obsticles
Long shots and short - good mix
Great newbie 18 hole coarse and a nice outing for groups of more experienced players
Some holes have nicely hidden baskets
All n All - worth my time to cross town to play once a week.
Cons: All the short holes seem to be bundled at the end of the coarse
Some holes overlap in the center of the park but not too badly
Baskets near the streets in a couple of cases
Other Thoughts: I believe this coarse has potential. I am glad I made the trip accross town to play it and will do it again many times in the near future.
I wish the parks here would open a few pro shops on site. I would be willing to open them up myself and staff them. It is so much more convienient for players to stop by and see equipment at the park.

Martog

Mountain Crest

1    8/2/2009   8/5/2009
Review By: ikirumata
Pros: Park is well maintained. The Ts are in great shape. All of the signs are present. Quiet park away from lots of traffic.
Cons: The fairways are too close together and sometimes overlap. The course flow is sometimes confusing and for first timers, finding the next hole can be tough. A couple holes end next to the road, so overshooting the hole may land your disc into the road. Lots of other park users around. The sprinkers were on while we were playing (early sunday morning). Until the trees fully grow, the course overall is easy and some holes are pretty uninspiring (there is an 85' hole).
Other Thoughts: There are a lot of things that bug me about this park, but I can see it having a lot more potential, especially once the newly planted trees grow up. Most of the holes are fairly short, but there are a couple holes that allow you to open it up. This park is one of those that is a finesse park rather than a big arm park.

I am used to the parks in North Texas where the rough is very...rough. You can spend a lot of time looking for your discs. Mountain Crest is like a godsend in that aspect. Unless you throw your disc into someone's yard (or on their roof), you shouldn't have any problems with losing your discs. Even though there are a lot of other park users, the ones we came across were very accomodating.

Not very challenging yet still very fun

1    7/16/2009   7/16/2009
Review By: justint97
Pros: Perfectly Manicured

Tee's and baskets extremely easy to find, which to me is not typical

Water fountains & bathrooms are a plus

Nice mixture of short and long holes with moderate obsticals
Cons: No shade during play, however there are covered benches spiratically placed.
Other Thoughts: It was a fun & fast course to play without much traffic on the course. I would recomend this course to anyone, beginner or pro.