Las Vegas, NV
Mountain Crest Park Share
Uploaded By: Discette Hole #4 (Taken 6/2013)
Hole #4 Approach

Grassy Knoll in the Desert

1    9/24/2012   9/28/2012
Review By: jasonc
Pros: This is a nice park-style course that offers plenty of variety.

The Park District does a very nice job keeping the grass alive. This was a pleasant surprise in the middle of the desert.

The baskets were nice, but the loop for the inner ring of chains was missing from most of the baskets. I am assuming that some kids with too much time on their hands caused this, so I am not listing baskets as a "con". Hopefully the local club or park district will handle this issue in the near future.

The teepads were nice and level.

The signs were good, but some were mounted upside-down. I found myself tilting my head on more than a few holes to try and figure out where to look for the next basket.

I believe #1 was the signature hole here. This will become a rather difficult hole as the trees mature over time.

On several holes, the basket was not visible from the teepad either because of trees or elevation changes.

The available elevation was utilized very well here.

The walking path/sidewalk can and should be used as OB. This will add some difficulty to a mostly open layout.
Cons: There are various other park activities and shelters that are located very close to some fairways. On a nice day, this course is an accident waiting to happen. As other reviewers have mentioned, please be careful and don't hit anyone.

#13--#16 are close to the road. This could cause problems on windy days. It was very windy for my round and thankfully I only had 1 disc land in the street.
Other Thoughts: Pro/advanced level players will find some difficult holes here on their first round, but will most likely still score very well.

Recreational level and new players will be challenged here at Mountain Crest.

This is a fun course with plenty of opportunities for alternate tees and/or safari holes.

I would be happy to play another round here on my next trip to Vegas.

Please be careful and don't gamble on this course. I know it's tempting while here in Vegas. ;) However, please use caution and spotters if other park users or disc golfers are in the vicinity of whichever hole you are playing.

5+    9/2/2012   9/3/2012
Review By: bdodson
Pros: I like that you can go throw some plastic and get a round in in an hour.

The grass is nice and green in the middle of dead heat summer.

Layout is good use of the land available
Cons: Not disc golf dedicated and public use is public use. I am happy to have the course here so I hope disc golfers are courteous. EG there were about 1000 people there tonight so I got seven holes in (with my two my boys) and was happy that I got those 7 in (holiday weekend)

I am not a big fan of some of the pin locations, lots of sidewalks creating difficult islands left to chance rather than skill....maybe i am just not good enough for the skill!
Other Thoughts: There is risk of the course being pulled because of the bad apples, I do my part and say hi to the other users and let them have the right of way. This is defintely not a championship course but for those who like to play for fun this is a good spot

Lot of sun but more trees than you'd think

5+    11/21/2012   6/28/2012
Review By: Hector Chain
This review was updated on 11/23/2012
Pros: I was afraid that this Vegas course would be completely open with barely any trees. Honestly, the pictures make it looks more open that it plays. The design forces you to consider the trees - which tend to be on the younger side - along with a variety of desert landscaping. Although there are some holes where you can just rip a drive over the top of everything, I did find the design forcing me to throw some tough turnover shots in the stiff wind (if you didn't know, it's always windy in Vegas).

Holes range from 200 to over 500 feet, but most are in the 275-375 feet range. Navigation here was generally good, and many tee pads are easily visible from the last basket. It did take me awhile to find the tees for holes 12 and 18, even with the map.

The yellow baskets are easily visible, aside from the holes where the view is blocked from the tee.

If you play the desert landscaping as OB (you should), there are some good risk/reward shots.
Parking was plentiful.
Cons: The tee signs are all aerial photographs with a line from the basket, but the perspective doesn't change on the maps. So the map might show you throwing from the upper right to the lower left, which makes it a little tough to orient yourself ("okay, we're throwing toward that gazebo...is the basket to the right or left of it?"). The tees are not overly long, which may impede your run up.

There is a lot of throwing over sidewalks. I think this "con" gets overplayed sometimes, though. Are these sidewalks actually used heavily? Is this a real danger or theoretical? I was there in the middle of the afternoon on a Thursday. The park was getting used, but not much with pedestrians.

The course is pretty flat.

There are no alternate tees or basket positions from what I could tell. There is probably no room for alternate tees, but different positions could be a possibility.
Other Thoughts: This is the busiest course in town, but I've never seen it overcrowded.

My first round was on a 105-degree day at about 2:00pm. The heat was not as oppressive as I feared. It doesn't feel that different than a 90-degree day in the Midwest. But the direct sunlight is intense, so cover up. And if you're from out of town, you'll need more water than you're used to.

After playing every course in town, this one is my favorite.

mountain crest

1    12/19/2011   12/21/2011
Review By: str8
This review was updated on 12/27/2013
Pros: Nice beginner friendly course. Decent variety of shots required. Couple of holes with good length.
Cons: Missing some signs. Water hazards (sprinklers) made for some hurried shots and kicked up the chill (45-50 degree morning). Summertime play would get no shade.
Other Thoughts: Very clean, multi-use park. Multiple restrooms close by. Locals were friendly and helpful.

Windy and tight

1    8/31/2011   9/5/2011
Review By: Auto
Pros: The park was awesome and well kept. This is a course to bring the whole family out to. There is something for everyone. The course had concrete pads and a well maintianed area. There where challenging throws that border the street.
Cons: Some signs where missing and a few baskets where Close together which made it difficult to tell apart for your next shot.
Other Thoughts: It is a simple short course that is placed in a beautiful park sitting. This is a great beginners course. Really enjoyed.

New Vegas DG Vs. Old Vegas DG

2-4    9/1/2011   9/4/2011
Review By: nygfaninva
Pros: 18 baskets. Brand new DiscCatchers. Easy to navigate. Many extras such as bathrooms, trash cans everywhere, benches near or on almost every tee. Good use of a small area to create challenges.
Cons: Multiple use park. Many things and activities to do at this park so on a busy day I imagine the threat of hitting people would be high. Windy, with many holes near a busy street and not far from backyards of residential community. (not sure if the wind is common, but each time I visited Las Vegas the wind was obnoxious, LOL.)
Other Thoughts: I titled this review New Vegas Vs. Old Vegas, this comes from a comparison between Mountain Crest and Sunset Park (the other Vegas course I have reviewed). Sunset has older baskets and is an older course, from what I can tell, and seems to be old school Vegas DG. Mountain Crest seems brand new! This is seriously one of the most beautiful parks I have played disc golf in. Restrooms, trash cans, benches! Playgrounds, workout stations, sprinklers, I mean this park has EVERYTHING plus disc golf! If I lived near here I could see my family coming and enjoying the park as I played a full round. Just idyllic! Still and all I feel the course itself is basic. Not enough trees to raise the bar, but just enough to add a bit of challenge. Back to my comparison, Sunset is an old school challenging course with many mandos and OB's to raise the challenge and extra holes on top of the 18. Mountain Crest doesn't have the same challenges, but the overall amenities of this gorgeous park more than makes up for it. Thus I rate both parks a three, but for different reasons.

Favorite Holes and Notes:

Hole 1: Neat little tunnel shot between a long row of trees, but of course with no mando to mark it, most will throw around the tunnel. I didn't. Threw right down the tunnel and still made par. Treat as a mando for extra fun!

Hole 7: Up a hill and the down the backside of the hill. Can't even really see the basket over the hill top. Very fun and with a lot of wind a nice challenge.

Hole 12, 13, ect: These holes are on the edge of the park. the Tee boxes are on or near the street. They have spray painted on them warnings about not climbing over the walls of nearby homes to retrieve discs. If you are like me, you'll look at them and the homes across the street and scoff, but due to the aggressive wind, my first throw sailed across the street, but thankfully not over the wall. Wow! Pay attention to the warnings!!!!!! Still thanks to the wind, these holes can be very tricky and if they have the tee boxes painted with warnings I'm sure I am not the first or last to end up near the homes and deep in OB.

A solid course

5+    6/10/2011   6/13/2011
Review By: OMGChaos
Pros: The course is clean, green, and almost impossible to lose a disc on. Great course for beginners.
Cons: It can get really crowded on nice days, and weekends especially. Plenty of people don't even realize there is a disc golf course on the park, and are totally oblivious to it. Patience is a must.
Other Thoughts: Great course overall. Not super challenging, but a good quick course for players looking for some shorter holes and limited obstacles

Grassy park!

1    2/23/2011   5/25/2011
Review By: JDee
Pros: This course was a lot of fun. I'm from salt lake and I loved visiting this course. It's not to difficult, but I love that you get to drive on almost every hole.
-Fairly open with a few trees. Grassy terrain so you will never lose a disc.
-was not very crouded when i went. If i was in Vegas longer, I would have definately played this course again. I will play it a few times next year when i visit again.
-Tee's were great, every whole marked very well.
-One of the most well kept courses I've been too.
Cons: -They day I went it was very windy. I'm not sure if this is common, but it is an open and fairly flat park, so I would imagine it gets pretty windy often. Despite the wind, this course is fun!
-People sitting around the grassy areas by trees in the shade. Just be careful of the people in the area just enjoying the park on a sunny day.
Other Thoughts: -I would have loved to have played this course multiple times on my trip to Vegas. I will play it again next February and I'll update this post if I have any more thoughts about the course.
-For a first timer at this course, i would absolutely recommend it. I look forward to playing it again.
Difficult? Not really.
Fun? Yes!

Perfect example of what's possible in a community park

2-4    4/15/2011   4/15/2011
Review By: elton807
This review was updated on 1/14/2013
Pros: Awesome integration of 18-holes into an otherwise great multi-purpose neighborhood park. Amazing variety of shots throughout the course, with no feel of repitition. The designers really maximized the dimensions of the park, and the entire grounds is immaculately clean. Gotta love that short spongy Vegas grass!
Cons: The par 4 signage is a joke. The entire course should play par 3, with the exception of #10 which is a legit par 4 (stated as a par 5). Playing for the first time without a map, I probably added about 20 mins to the round looking for teepads. Playing the walkways and non-grassy areas as OB would certainly increase the challenge level to an otherwise easy course.
Other Thoughts: I was instantly stoked the moment I pulled into the parking lot and located the course starting point. For an "artificial" course, this is as good as it gets...every residential neighborhood out there should have one of these!
For what it's worth, here's my personal ranking of the 8 courses in Las Vegas:
5. Freedom
6. Paseo Verde
7. Cason's Davis Park
8. Anthem
** I can't wait to play Mt Charleston someday!!
=================
Uniqueness: B+ (terrific layout in a busy park)
Difficulty: B (flat; pars come easy)
Fun factor: A (rewarding birdies; just the right distances)
Aesthetics: A (super clean; manicured; will only get better)
---------------------
Overall: A-

A nice park-style course

2-4    4/6/2011   4/7/2011
Review By: SomeChump
Pros: Simple to navigate-almost all the tees are within 60 feet of the last basket and all baskets are visible from the tee area

You won't lose a disc here.

Easily strollerable

Playground for the kids in the middle where you can play around them and keep an eye on them

Good variation of length on holes

Concrete tees in nice shape

Baskets in great shape

Almost all the holes had signs, all but 2 or so had accurate distances on them

Nice bathrooms and water fountains

If you play sidewalks, streets, parking lots, and desert areas as OB, there are some interesting risk/reward shots where you have to choose to lay up or go for it

Tons of lights. Easy to finish a round after dark.

All the locals I met were nice; didn't notice any pot smoking going on at all

Very fast- I was worried I wouldn't get a round in before dark and I got 1 1/2 rounds in before dark and easily finished by park lights
Cons: Pretty hard to take a 5 on any hole. My first round I played I threw 13 pars in a row in some high wind. There just aren't that many obstacles out there. Some scattered trees are the only obstacles, but most are so short you can throw over them. For example, the first hole is designed as a difficult 300+ foot tunnel shot. But anyone in their right mind would just throw a big hyzer around the right side of the tunnel. Most of the trees are 20 feet high or less. So in general it is a "drive and putt" course for anyone who can drive 300-350. If your drive is accurate you get a short putt. If it isn't, you get a long putt then a drop in par. Only one hole will force a 300 foot driving player to throw a significant upshot.

A fair number of walkers in the park. I never had to wait long, but I did have to wait several times during a round

Only one set of tees and one basket placement

Random posted pars-I don't see why par in disc golf doesn't mean the same as in ball golf. I'm no pro and I shot 12 under the posted par my first time to the park. Give me a break. If you can make par without any single throw being longer than 100 feet the par is wrong.

No water