Las Vegas, NV
Mountain Crest Park Share
Uploaded By: Discette Hole #10 (Taken 6/2013)
Hole #10 Approach

Most Complete Vegas Course in Terms of Course Design

1    11/19/2010   12/5/2010
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- Most Complete Course in Vegas. When compared to Sunset and some of the other courses in Vegas, Mountain Crest is a more complete course. Short holes, long holes, medium holes, hyzer shots, straight shots, (although no forced anhyzers/sidearms), lots of OB, and a few holes with great use of the minimal elevation available. On several Holes I threw my putter and mids off the tee... as compared to Sunset where I never threw any putters or mids off the tee.
- Concrete Tees/Signage. Like the other Vegas courses, Mountain Crest had beautiful concrete tees with a textured surface. Every hole also had adequate tee-signs... nothing special, but adequate enough to help with shot selection and navigation.
Cons:
- Potential Danger. The park is definitely a multi-use park... playgrounds, picnic shelters, walking paths, parking lots, etc are all in play... The hole that throws past the gazebo is especially questionable; I could easily see somebody wiping out a birthday party. There are also several holes that shoot towards or along a busy street and the potential for a noob to yank one out there is probably one of the safer bets you could make in Vegas.
- Lots of Golfers in Vegas. The course was packed. There were groups on every hole. This is great for the Vegas golf community, but it may slow down your round a little. We saw groups at every course we went to, but Mountain Crest was the busiest.
- Overall. Overall, I felt that Mountain Crest was the most complete course in Vegas. It was definitely less redundant than Sunset in terms of types of shots needed and length of holes, and was super fun to play. However, the course is too small to have a major event, and therefore probably has to be ranked the second best course in town.
- Chicago Brewery. I've been to more than 70 microbreweries during my travels and the Chicago Brewery, which is approximately 6 miles away from the course, is Fantastic! Of the 10 beers I sampled, 9 were better than 90% of other beers that I've had of that same style. And, their food was great too. I highly recommend their hot pastrami with cole slaw.
- My Las Vegas Rankings. I played 6 of the 7 courses in Vegas during a recent business trip. My rankings are: Sunset, Mountain Crest, Red Ridge, Pecole Ranch, Freedom, Carson Davis.
- My Score: -4 with 9 missed putts (post-brewery visit - Yikes!)

Favorite in Vegas

1    10/2/2010   10/3/2010
Review By: drickanderson
Pros: This course offers a lot in the way of challenge, elevation and risk/reward. There a few holes that are longish but the shorter ones are offset by OB-surrounded baskets, and blind shots over hills and around trees. If you play with strict OB rules, this can be a very challenging course.

The landscaping is beautiful, and the grass is fantastic. It's beneficial to have somebody with you that knows the course, but the signs are sufficient if you don't.

I regularly play Sunset and Red Ridge, and can tell you that I prefer this course of the three. The only thing that would keep me from playing it more is the long drive from my house.
Cons: As stated previously, a few of the holes drive along the road-side, but they're shorter holes, and can be reached using a putter from the tee, so it really isn't that big of an issue.
Other Thoughts: There were a lot of people in the park when we played, and the guy that I played with said that it wasn't as bad as it usually is, and they generally have to skip a few holes because there are people in the way. I would suggest getting on the course in the wee hours of the morning to avoid the traffic.

5+    9/14/2010   9/28/2010
Review By: KJTchouop
Pros: Certainly, this is the most attractive course in town. Although it tends to run a little shortish on distance for many of the holes, there still are some challenges for the seasoned player. It's a really nice park with picnic areas, playgrounds, water fountains, bathrooms, etc.
Cons: This course would be better if they had just a little more room. It feels like they could have made a great fifteen hole course, but had to figure out a way to cram in three more holes. A couple of holes are a bit confusing as to where to go for your next drive. A few holes run parallel to residential streets, so be prepared to lose a disc on an errant throw that flies over a six foot wall into a yard. The back nine isn't as interesting as the front nine, save for a couple of great holes right after the turn.

Oasis in the dessert

1    8/13/2010   8/16/2010
Review By: shawn_l
Pros: Startlingly good grass makes you want to play this course barefooted. You can park right at the first tee, which is concrete with great signage. We played on a Saturday morning, and talked to a few locals for help a couple of times. Everyone was very friendly.

The course is in excellent shape. Several trees appear to have been planted just for the course play, and the layout uses the park in a great way. A disc golf course with out tons of underbrush and thorns? Sign me up, as often as possible.

For the beginners this course is appealing because there are plenty of trees, but nothing to lose your disc in. An errant shot will be easy to find and get back on track. For more experienced players, striving for even par or less will never leave you bored.

The first hole is fun, with a tree lined alley to shoot through, or if you're a 300+ guy, hyser that bad boy past them all and gor for the money shot!

A handful of the holes use the gentle rolling hills to their advantage, with an occasional blind shot.

Most of the tee boxes are framed nicely by vegetation or the terrain itself.
Cons: Very minor. A couple of approaches are towards the street, but the way the course is landscaped you'd have to miss awfully bad for it to matter.

One hole drives parallel to a street and if you drift right you could be in trouble.

I put these in here just to have something to put here. This is a wonderful course with no real drawbacks.
Other Thoughts: There are water fountains, bathrooms, ample parking close to the starting tee, sidewalks, and friendly locals.

The tees are concrete and baskets are Innova double chain. The signs have useful diagrams, distances, and (my personal favorite) arrows to the next tee. If you can't enjoy a morning round of disc golf here, please take up spelunking.

Worth the Trip

1    6/20/2010   6/22/2010
Review By: Martog
Pros: Friendly People
Some Challenging holes and obsticles
Long shots and short - good mix
Great newbie 18 hole coarse and a nice outing for groups of more experienced players
Some holes have nicely hidden baskets
All n All - worth my time to cross town to play once a week.
Cons: All the short holes seem to be bundled at the end of the coarse
Some holes overlap in the center of the park but not too badly
Baskets near the streets in a couple of cases
Other Thoughts: I believe this coarse has potential. I am glad I made the trip accross town to play it and will do it again many times in the near future.
I wish the parks here would open a few pro shops on site. I would be willing to open them up myself and staff them. It is so much more convienient for players to stop by and see equipment at the park.

Martog

Mountain Crest park

1    8/1/2009   8/9/2009
Review By: Legend KILLer
Pros: Young park with plenty of potential
Nicely kept and clean
Lawn all-around
Some holes nicely framed
Restrooms, picnic tables, water play area, bbq
Elevation used well
Not too much foot traffic due to heat (it is Las Vegas)
All pins are baskets (though some are a little bent)
Concrete pads
Signage (on some)
You can easily find your way around
Friendly people
Cons: Some of the signage is missing
When the grass is irrigated some of the tee pads when wet or flooded
The back nine can get redundant
Long drive from the strip (I was on vacation): 20-25 minutes
Other Thoughts: The park is young so the trees don't play a big factor but when they grow up this course will definitely be more difficult. By the way, if you throw your disc into a park yard consider it gone. There is signage to not jump into back yards because the city could pull the course. If you're in town I recommend Sunset Park first but this little course is definitely not a waste of time.

Mountain Crest

1    8/2/2009   8/5/2009
Review By: ikirumata
Pros: Park is well maintained. The Ts are in great shape. All of the signs are present. Quiet park away from lots of traffic.
Cons: The fairways are too close together and sometimes overlap. The course flow is sometimes confusing and for first timers, finding the next hole can be tough. A couple holes end next to the road, so overshooting the hole may land your disc into the road. Lots of other park users around. The sprinkers were on while we were playing (early sunday morning). Until the trees fully grow, the course overall is easy and some holes are pretty uninspiring (there is an 85' hole).
Other Thoughts: There are a lot of things that bug me about this park, but I can see it having a lot more potential, especially once the newly planted trees grow up. Most of the holes are fairly short, but there are a couple holes that allow you to open it up. This park is one of those that is a finesse park rather than a big arm park.

I am used to the parks in North Texas where the rough is very...rough. You can spend a lot of time looking for your discs. Mountain Crest is like a godsend in that aspect. Unless you throw your disc into someone's yard (or on their roof), you shouldn't have any problems with losing your discs. Even though there are a lot of other park users, the ones we came across were very accomodating.

Not very challenging yet still very fun

1    7/16/2009   7/16/2009
Review By: justint97
Pros: Perfectly Manicured

Tee's and baskets extremely easy to find, which to me is not typical

Water fountains & bathrooms are a plus

Nice mixture of short and long holes with moderate obsticals
Cons: No shade during play, however there are covered benches spiratically placed.
Other Thoughts: It was a fun & fast course to play without much traffic on the course. I would recomend this course to anyone, beginner or pro.

B- = Bit Better Than Average

2-4    5/13/2008   4/19/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- C+
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- B+
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- B
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B
Other Thoughts: I ranked this course subjectively based on my own personal enjoyment factor...more accurately my "personal addiction factor". Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they chose courses to play and explore.

Over time, I expect to fill some of my reviews in with more descriptive verbiage...if what I say adds anything to what has already been written. For now, my list is more important to me than the verbiage of my reviews.

Nicest course in Vegas

5+    3/8/2009   3/11/2009
Review By: Sleeping Giant
Pros: Nice park, green grass, decent mix of short and long holes.
Cons: Could be more difficult and could have a few longer holes.
Other Thoughts: This is our weekly course. The players are friendly and people don't get in your way much. We usually play around 9AM so usually the only people there are throwers. I prefer playing this course over Sunset because it's a nicer park and there are fewer people clogging the fairways doing other park related activities.