Janesville, WI
Lustig Park Share
Uploaded By: Tall__Paul Hole #6 (Taken 7/2009)

1 2 3 Next >
 B+ = be bery bery nice and fun!

1    7/2/2009   7/3/2009
Pros: "Lustig" in German means "happy". That is what this course is all about!

What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == C+ (Most of the course plays through beautiful grassy areas with huge mature oak trees sprinkled about. It is almost impossible to take a 4 other than doinked putts. The wooded holes are short, so recovery from errant throws is easy)
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == A- (Other than 3 holes that are shorter than 250' and one very fun hole that is too long for me to reach, the others all yeild rewarding birdies. It is a birdie fest course to be sure, but many of the birdies are truly rewarding and fun to get.)
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == B (There is enough room between the trees usually pick at least 2-4 routes to the basket, so you never feel "forced" into making a specific throw. But there are plenty of holes where you need to shape you shot well to get on the dance floor.)
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == A- (Very well manicured. The oaks and grass are gorgeous. There is no seculusion from the other holes except on 1 wodded hole, but there is seclusion as this is a disc golf only park).
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A

I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me....that's the fun of things here. See my profile for my rating philosophy.

5+    4/23/2009   4/30/2009
Review By: Phinneas55
Pros: Nice, large tee pads and an easy to navigate course layout. The park has lots of huge trees but is open enough to offer plenty of shot choices. It has a good variety of open and wooded holes with a couple offering some nice distance.
Cons: Most of the holes are short, some can be driven with a putter. Expect to park on the grass when the course is busy.
Other Thoughts: Watch out for other players! Some tee pads are within an easy drive of the previous hole and can easily be hit.

Solid Course

1    4/17/2009   4/19/2009
Review By: Texconsinite
Pros: Nice course. One of the first things I noticed about this course, is it has some of the widest teepads I've ever seen. Nice. Also, nice, clear signs, and (homemade) baskets in good shape. I even noticed empty sleeves for alternate pin placements on at least a few holes, which they apparently switch around regularly, though no alt pins or distances are noted on the signs. The alt spots were mostly close to the regulars, so probably for erosion control as much as variety, but still, alt pins are alt pins, and alt pins need not be nearly as different as the A & B pins at Anna Page East to give the hole a fresh twist.

Most of this course plays up and down a hillside with scattered trees, with a few holes weaving through the woods and a few more open bomber holes.

This course mixes it up with a nice variety of left and right curves, though oftentimes there's more than one way to play most holes. Overall, this course is about accurately-shaping drives. If you do that off the tee and avoid the trees, you'll do alright. If you can combine that with some decent distance, you will do well, and set yourself up for several birdie possibilities, provided you make the putts. The par 4's on this course are all good opportunities to pick up a few strokes with a good drive.

I'd say the signature hole on this course, which is also the hardest hole, is hole 11. You through a narrow winding path in the woods, on a hillside sloping up to the right. The basket sits at the edge of a dropoff, so overshooting or missing a putt is disastrous, and where you land your drive is key.
Cons: Cramped in places. A few tee pads are close to the previous fairway, so close we almost hit the group in front of us, and the group behind us came close to nailing me on the tee pad. Keep your eyes open here so you don't get hit. This park isnt huge, so all things considered, I'm glad they have 18 holes in here, even if there are a few places that feel a bit squished.

This course is very fun, but not extremely challenging. Most holes arent too long, so accurate drives through the trees should leave you with birdie putts on most holes. This park reminded me of a shorter, less technical Anna Page West.

This park seems like a very nicely marked and maintained rec course, but overall, a little easier than most nearby courses I've played. It's a really fun place for a casual round, but not the most technical course in the area. Understandably, most of the players that were out playing the course the day it reopened were pretty casual, with a handful of discs at most. This is not a bad thing by any means, but speaks to the kind of course this is: casual and fun to play with two discs, though still interesting.

This course throws in some variety, but after awhile, most of the holes begin to seem similar: bend the disc left or right around the scattered trees to the pin. The terrain here makes for several variations on the theme, but the holes themselves aren't quite as memorable or challenging as those on similar courses (ie. scattered trees) in the area like Anna Page West, or Fireman's Park in Waterloo, though Lustig has better signage and teepads than either of those two courses.

However, there's nothing really wrong with this course, and a lot of things right. Its fun and easy to navigate, worth a stop if you are in the area. I don't want it to seem like I'm dogging this place, because I quite enjoyed my round here and plan on returning when I get a chance, I just think other nearby courses set the bar a little higher.
Other Thoughts: I drove directly to this course after three rounds at Anna Page Park West, so maybe that's why this course seemed a bit on the easy side, since its a bit shorter than West, with wider gaps between the trees. However, this is still a fun and interesting course, its just not quite as Epic as West

Beautiful

1    6/7/2008   11/21/2008
Review By: leathercash
Pros: Very well maintained last time I was there. Nothing about this 18 is boring,always something fun and simple. If you play everything as a par 3 it's a lot of fun. Some are easy to birdie while others will set you back a stroke or two.
Cons: No water hazards! I love playin over the water,so to me this is a con. This park in the summer is always busy it seems. This may or may not be a bad thing for you. For me,it's bad. I like the course empty,but I know that's not that realistic. Not too many reasonable cons here.
Other Thoughts: Play this course. If I lived closer I would play i a lot more often. Cheers!

Big Oaks

8/12/2007   4/15/2008
Review By: FoleyT
Pros: good variety of holes, some elevation, lots of nice big oaks to play around
Cons: baskets seemed a bit old and decrepit, got a little confused about hole sequence due to lack of good signage (numbers on tee pads are a nice touch though)
Other Thoughts: Our first 'Wisconsin' course on a self guided tour of the eastern side of the state in '07. A lot of nice courses in this state.

Good Course

4/13/2008   4/13/2008
Review By: WIpilot
Pros: Nice layout With some interesting holes. has a verity of holes with uphill downhill trough woods and by water.
Cons: NEEDS SIGNS AS SAID ALREADY. Needs some real baskets and not those home made ones.
Other Thoughts: if they get good baskets it would be one of the best courses around.

4/6/2008   4/6/2008
Review By: Muh' Hucker
Pros: This course has some surprising holes along with the duds, 10 and 11, tight through the woods are good fun, 11 even more so as its also uphill, and 12 is a long downhill open throw that reminds me of a smaller 7 at Ellison in Rochester, NY. The park is up on a bluff overlooking the Rock river and the natural shape provides good drainage, not a lot of mud at all. Lots of big oaks to throw around and under. Some of the pins have a sharp camber under them, makes for high risk high loss putting. The concrete tees are nice, but...
Cons: ...Lustig park needs signage. Badly. Lots of big oaks to throw around and under. The baskets need some help, they are functional, but it ain't pretty. Many of the holes are there it seems simply because that was the space available, not really to make the course interesting. Its still early in the spring so I'll give a pass on park condition until the crews have a chance to clean up.
Other Thoughts: I'll follow up this review later in the year after the city has had a chance to clean up the park after the winter, providing that they do. This is the closest course to where I live in WI, having just transplanted from Rochester. You should see the locals faces when you try to describe a Garbage Plate.

1 2 3 Next >