Huntsville, AL
Monte Sano DGC Share
Uploaded By: BmaEngnr92
Vacate Time (Sign contributed by Billy Drake)

Monte Sano review

1    10/12/2009   10/12/2009
Review By: chainbanger14
Pros: Baskets are great! Love the nature feel of things. If u love a good game of disc golf and a nice hike, then i highly recomend
Cons: Carpet teepads arent the best but trust me, it wont affect ur game
Other Thoughts: haha i saw a copperhead on hole 15 s watch out!

Great place to relax-5 miles from downtown

1    7/6/2009   7/5/2009
Review By: Mando
Pros: Monte Sano is a 2000+ acre mountain top state park with camping, a lodge and extensive network of hiking/biking trails.
It would make a perfect base for anyone exploring the 5 (soon to be 6) quality disc golf courses in Huntsville. Great long-range views along the brow of the mountain. Best disc golf sign I've seen at 40+ courses. Very cool.
The course itself is relatively flat as it winds through a gorgeous mature Oak Forest. I thought the layout was outstanding, very tight but fair, requiring all the shots in your repetoire.
I value courses designed for long-term playability and Monte Sano has it. Yes, you will hit some trees, but the clean understory enables you to easily find your disc and recover if you end up in the rough.
I played in sandals and had no issues with schule. A couple of friendly locals guided me around the course which was great. 5 degrees cooler than Huntsville on a summer day was a nice bonus.
Cons: The spray paint is probably necessary navigate the course, but detracts from the aesthetics of the forest.
Other Thoughts: After reading the reviews, I expected a pinball-fest, but it never materialized.
I've played much tighter woods courses, so I guess it just depends on your frame of reference. I love the challenge of having to throw FH, BH and an occaisonal hammer to negotiate the tight gaps.

1    3/22/2009   3/24/2009
Review By: AdamE
This review was updated on 10/20/2009
Pros: Monte Sano is a challenging wooded course with some elevation changes on a few holes. Don't let the distances deceive you, 300ft on a course like this makes for a very tough hole. If you have a bad drive, it can be very difficult to recover and get par. Bad drives are almost always punished here.

This course has a great variety of shots. There are big turnovers, straight and narrow shots, and a few hyzer shots as well.

There are some shorter holes where birdies are possible, but they all require accuracy, there are no gimmie birdies here.

A rec player will have a difficult time with this course. I believe it's the kind of course that will teach you to make the necessary shot on each hole which will make you a better player, but it will punish you until you do.
Cons: There were carpet tee pads secured nicely to prevent them from moving when I was there. I understand the course is new, so this is completely understandable.

There were a few holes I felt relied strongly on luck rather than skill. A couple holes had so many trees there wasn't really a fairway in some places, just throw and hope. A couple holes had a tree literally 10 feet in front of the tee pad. I like having the option to throw multiple routes on a hole, but this seems a little extreme to me, especially since the fairways are so small to begin with.
Other Thoughts: A few times you have a walk to get to the next hole, however, they did a good job making this course easy to navigate. There is orange spray paint on the ground and trees leading from one hole to another where the next hole isn't close by. Between the three of us playing, we never had a problem finding the next hole.

There are small streams on a few holes, but they were so small it took one step to cross them when I was there. So I wouldn't say they're in play since they seem more like casual water to me.

***UPDATE 10/18/09***
I played here again and can see some big improvements. Every hole has a tee sign with diagram and distance on it. There are bridges on every hole that crosses the stream now. Next tee signs are in place on holes that have a walk in between them. Holes 3, 4 and I believe 14 are the only holes that seem to rely heavily on luck still. There were pink ribbons around some trees throughout the course so perhaps those trees are coming down. The course is looking better than ever, keep up the great work!