Cedar Park, TX
Brushy Creek Sports Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: dgdoctor Hole #7 (Taken 3/2009)
Hole #7 Basket (looking back toward tee)

1    3/13/2013   3/19/2013
Review By: tkmcdougal
Pros: This is a really challenging 9 holer. I thought it was a lot of fun but didn't get frustrating. I really liked the shot on hole 2; however, a huge tree has recently fall by the basket taking away a good line from the right hand side. Hole 9 was an awesome long hole that has the basket placed feet away from the water. The teesigns were nice but navigation can still be a bit tricky. I really liked the difficult of the course because water comes into play on quite a few holes including holes 2,6( may just be from a recent rain), 7,8,9. Even though, 8 and 9 play over a small creek it still comes into play and you have to cross it.
Cons: Hole 1 starts behind the skate park. Going from hole 2- 3 the rocks are a little challenging to cross with ease. Also, hole 6 was in a unique location down the path but there wasn't a tee sign that I saw. A local told me where it where. This course could become frustrating if you aren't having a good day. I didn't find it frustrating because I was playing pretty well.
Other Thoughts: This was the toughest 9 holer that I have ever played, but it was still a lot of fun. I imagine during the summer this would be a nice course to play because of the shade from all of the trees, but in contrast, The course hold water from the rain pretty good.

Pro's Perspective

5+    12/3/2012   12/17/2012
Review By: jonnypATX
Pros: Fantastic terrain for a course. A creek runs throughout and is a typical Houck design. You may find yourself taking a midrange off the tee, then driver on your approach. A good combination of peaceful property and a technical layout.
Cons: I always subtract a star for lack of concrete boxes. As I understand, there are future plans to put another 9 towards the entrance of the park but until then, a nine hole course with only one set of boxes (with the exception of #1) means another star is removed. Not a course for Ams - it will fustrate you beyond belief.
Other Thoughts: Tons of potential but if you're in the area, Wilco and Cat Hollow are better choices at this point in time.

One time

1    8/8/2011   1/8/2012
Review By: Steamrohler
Pros: -lots of different distances
-good baskets
-different shot selection (not all hyzers)
-good use of elevation that is available
Cons: -poor signage (difficult to find next tee)
Other Thoughts: Was in town for a short time so did not get to play with locals, would have probably been a better experience if someone was there to play with.

Technical Fun!

1    8/10/2011   8/10/2011
Review By: Turner512
Pros: Great technicality with decent range in distance and heavily wooded to slightly hilly terrain. I really enjoy technical courses and this was definitely one of those. Hole one is probably the most open but still requires accurate shooting. You can get double bogies on holes with a smile. Decent changes in distance and the 720 will throw you for a loop. Most of the tee signs are correct and display good info. Great for a nine hole!
Cons: Some tee's are hard to find. Hole one is definitely difficult to find. Look out for a barely rock separated tee. Mulch is loosening and is no longer a great judge in direction. I give this course a 3 because I don't think its for everyone. Beginners and open accustomed player probably wouldn't enjoy it as much as I did.
Other Thoughts: For pros and people who want to work on tight accuracy, this is a great course. If you're starting out, this might not be your favorite course.

Darkwoods

2-4    1/14/2010   4/12/2010
Review By: DrDipsomania
Pros: Technically precise short course. Despite a lack of signs, pins are marked, all the baskets are in great condition (they are, after all, pretty new), and the fairway is made abundantly clear by the bright wood chips laid down leading from tee box to pin. The tee boxes are... present. No flat, open holes with 100' wide fairways here; power & distance are almost detrimental to a well played round, making way for precision & composed shots. Abundant trees offer ample shade from the strong Texas sun. Meticulously designed and, so far, well maintained. Pretty low key course, generally unpopulated.
Cons: Due to construction in the area, it's a pain to park and then get to the first hole. When you do get there, it's a little disheartening to find that there are no signs. This can lead to some confusion as to where the tee boxes are. Tee boxes are dirt patches semi-enclosed by rocks; as such, it's advisable to play when the ground is dry, and not to need a run-up to tee off. Some of the lines are like those out at Bible Ridge: asking a bit too much. Unlike there, though, an errant shot won't punish you too much (unless you have to wade through thorn bushes to retrieve your disc), and you can usually get a pretty okay line on a recovery shot. Only 9 holes. I've heard from other golfers in the area that there are plans to extend it to 18; I've also heard from other golfers in the area that there are no such plans.
Other Thoughts: Love the shade, but it comes at a price, and that price is paid in your score.

So Polished Yet Still so Rough

1    3/14/2010   3/20/2010
Review By: srm_520
This review was updated on 3/26/2010
Pros: If you are a fan of tight and technical, than this is the place for you. There are no real open holes, and instead wind you through a mix of hill country trees and cactus. The creek, during the rainy season, adds extra depth to these intense nine holes. Even experienced players will have to work to get pars and birdies.

I love that a mulch path guides you through the holes and transitions between holes. It's a nice little feature seen on a few of the newer Houck courses in the Austin area. It's necessary though with the lack of everything else. I also have to praise the work involved placing stones, and other features to help navigate through the woods. It's rough, but very cool.

BEST HOLE/S: #3
Cons: My first question is - when construction on the course took place and #1 essentially disappeared from view - why didn't they just renumber and make #8 the new #1 and make #7 the new #9. This would have may the flow to the parking area a lot easier, and help with navigation issues for anyone without a map or not familiar with the course. As it stands - #1 is a long trek around the skate park area, and #9 ends dead center in the woods leaving you to take the trail back out. This kind of issue is small, but really annoys me.

There are no signs, and the tee boxes are vaguely worn by play since this course is so new. Besides having a map, the only indication you have about being on the right hole is the numbered pin, but on holes like #3, #5, and #9 this can be difficult due to length. Hopefully this issue will be resolved soon, because I've played enough Houck designs to know that quality signage is one of the specialties his courses have to offer. Note, there is a map on hole #1, but the post is not in good shape, so we'll see how long it stays there.

As always, there is a fine line between tight and challenging to a little absurd. I like heavily wooded courses that reward me for accuracy and punish me for being off, but to a point. #5 is a great example of a long wooded hole open just enough to let you shape shots around the trees and get good placement for your next shot. However, move forward to #9 and what? Your disc had better be laser guided since this pinball hole is more luck than skill. A few more key trees should be removed here to make this course really enjoyable.

WORST HOLE/S: #9
Other Thoughts: It's hard to rate a course that plays so well for the advanced player, and yet is still so rough that it lacks the basic essentials a good course needs to rate high. On the other hand having things like mulch run the whole course lets me know that love, sweat, and time have been poured out already, so hopefully the signage and navigation issues will be fixed this year. Newer players may enjoy the atmosphere but be forewarned that may not be the best place for you. It's easily frustrating on the best days for any recreational level player. I think Sidewinding made the best comparison; this course is a shorter yet no less challenging version of East Metro Park in Manor.

I think this is a great place to play in conjunction with the slightly more open Brushy Creek MUD DGC, and I am really anxious to get back here in a about six months to see what improvements have been made. This course certainly has a lot of potential and is a great addition to the Round Rock area, so my hopes are high. Bottom line, bring a map, expect to be challenged and even frustrated at times, but also expect to get a very interesting and rewarding nine holes of golf.

Very First Course

1    2/6/2010   2/9/2010
Review By: RookDygin
Pros: For a rank beginner (first course ever) the shot variety was fun and the very fact that it's 'hidden' up in the trees made this course very enjoyable for my wife and I as our first course.

While rough the cedar mulch fairways allowed for easy navigation from hole to hole. Time has improved the smoothness based on how long the course has been complete.

Cons: It may be the time of year but the fairways seemed even narrower than the pictures showed. This made for more of a challenge than expected.

The construction on the skate park has destroyed the path the the first tee box. My wife and I went in through the mud pit...(to the left of the skate park) and decided to wear hiking boots next time. (go in off of the far south lot and backtrack from hole 4 to avoid)
Other Thoughts: Do not be afraid to try this course. My wife and I had never even tried DG before this and we loved it. Despite the mud from recent rains just being out in the woods enjoying the day together doing something we both found we liked made for a very good day.

It is a hard course, but we went to enjoy the day and practice the very basics of the game... next time we will have a picnic lunch and of course our hiking boots. (lol) A great time, many lessons learned about power, throwing methods and using the right disk for the distance on the fairways.

Yet another review...

1    11/19/2009   11/19/2009
Review By: austoroc
Pros: I think the reviewer, skurf, got it right for most part. I largely agree with his points, so there's no reasons for me to be redundant.

This is an interesting course, and quite difficult for the average player to master/enjoy.
Cons: The fairways: too tight for most people, particularly on these long holes.

Some of you might get slightly too frustrated here, so all you can do is go out and try to have fun. I didn't play that well, so take my review with a grain of salt!
Other Thoughts: I'd come here again, but I wouldn't take my friend who just started out playing to this course. This would be suited for the more experienced players.

It's a Doozy

1    8/2/2009   8/3/2009
Review By: skurf
Pros: Talk about tight fairways, yikes! This course takes some serious mental discipline to get through without wanting to kill someone, but alas, I resisted the urge. And oh by the way, there's a huge freakin' gully to the left of pin 1...wish I would have known that before throwing down it.

I digress. The course is actually quite good if not a bit comical in its ridiculous difficulty level. I played this course after playing the other Brushy Creek course, which is actually a plus for this course because it's close to both the Williamson County DGC (great course) and the Brushy Creek M.U.D. DGC (good course) so you can get 2 or even 3 rounds in pretty quick at some really nice courses.

The mulch trails are good (and bad...see cons) for the fact they tell you where the fairway is, because otherwise it would be a wild guess since some of the fairways are so narrow you wouldn't be able to make them out otherwise, and some of the holes are so long (cough #5) you'd really start to wonder if you were still within the park's property. The hole is epic, and if you can score a 5 on it, congrats.

This is an extremely wooded course, and as such, offers tons of shade. In fact, after hole 1, I don't think I was ever in the sun, which is awesome for playing disc golf in the hot Texas summers.
Cons: Although the tight fairways offer challenge and make this course what it is, it seems like they could have widened the fairways on a couple holes to offer a bit of diversity and respite from this extremely demanding course.

The mulch is fairly large-chop mulch and has a lot of larger chunks of wood and sticks in it. On one drive I planted on stick, which rolled under foot. Luckily I didn't fall or twist my ankle, but my shot went way off course, and when you go off course here, it ain't pretty. The fairways are tight and the rough in unforgiving.

There's not teepads of any kind...just a pile of rocks to mark where you tee from, and some of them, the monstrous hole five in particular, don't even have any room for a run-up.

There's no sign pointing you in the direction of where the course is when you enter the park and we ended up going to the wrong end first, parking, wandering around asking people if they knew where it was..."a what?" "No, haven't seen any golf courses around here." BTW, when you enter the park, take a right, go all the way to the end and park, then follow the mulch trail to the freestanding map-sign of the course where the first "teebox" is.
Other Thoughts: If I lived closer to this course I could see myself playing it often. It seems like a great course to hone your skills on and even though it's only 9 holes, if you can score under par here, you are one badass disc golfer.

Great 9 hole, but...

5+    4/25/2009   4/30/2009
Review By: Cody
This review was updated on 10/18/2012
Pros: Has 3 par 4's and 1 par 5 which makes for an enjoyable course for intermediate players and up, unlike most 9-holes.
All the tees are fairly easy to find, especially with a map of course.
Lotta shade.
Now they got signs, though they're a bit crappy-- thin plywood.
Bring your ultra-precision game!
Cons: I actually wish that the entire course wasn't SO tight, even though I do enjoy tight fairways
The 1st hole is the only one that allows a little "breathing" room, but the 1st tee is a complete joke-- it sites right behind some big oaks. You gotta basically tomahawk over the trees; it needs to be moved to the left.
The abundance of mulch can get a little annoying to walk on sometimes, but is great in rainy weather
Really needs to be trimmed up a bit to allow for better flow; trees are nice n' all, but some throws are more a matter of luck getting through rather than skill.
The pars are too low on a couple o' holes in my opinion--- hole 3 should be a par 4 and hole 9 should be a par 5 because of the technicality on these holes.
Must have concrete tees!
Other Thoughts: I also hope that they will extend it to an 18-hole course, 'cause there's plenty of land for it there. Perhaps you could put 3-4 holes in front of # 1 and a few after # 5 along Brushy Creek which could swing back around to # 6.