Cedar Park, TX
Brushy Creek Sports Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: dgdoctor Hole #4 (Taken 3/2009)

In The Brush

1    4/19/2012   4/19/2012
Review By: bogeymanjr
Pros: Is there such a thing as a John Houck masterpiece? I believe there could possibly be. This is one of the best technical courses I have ever played. This course starts out tough and never lets up. I will have to say it is easy to forget that this is just a 9 hole course once you get into playing it. Hole 1 starts out with an open fairway then narrows down on a dogleg left to a basket out on a piece of hill that stands by it self. One wrong toss and you find yourself looking up at the basket. I ended up double bogey on that hole. Hole 2 is a short shot through the forest to a pin on the opposite bank of the creek. A very tough par 3. Hole 3 continues in the same vein running similar to hole 2 but just a little bit longer. Hole 4 is a 190 foot throw over the creek through trees to the basket. These last three holes might be par 3's but they are super tough. Well placed shots and a little luck is what is called for. Hole 5 runs 720 feet through the woods to a basket in the wide open. If a golfer can make that clearing in 4 shots, par can possibly be achieved. But there are trees in the fairway and missing them can be a tall order even for the best golfer. Reminds me of the 14th hole on the Gold course at Ingleside, Tx. Holes 6 through 8 are short par three holes. Hole 6 being the most open. Holes 7 and 8 throw over the creek and through trees and are very tough to par. Hole 9 is similar to hole 5 but is 200 feet shorter and ends in the woods. A tough par 4. Overall, this is the toughest nine holes I think I have ever played on this type of course. So, another John Houck masterpiece? You betcha!
Cons: Only dirt tees. Navigation is somewhat difficult in places, but nothing a map won't cure. Some signage missing but the majority of them still there. Needs more trash cans, saw lots of garbage on the course.
Other Thoughts: This was one of my most enjoyable courses to play. A lot of it reminded me of East Metro in Manor. This course alone would be worth the trip to North Austin to play. Plus the park itself offers a lot of other things too. I shot some baskets on the court after I finished throwing just to loosen up. Come on out to this one. I think you will enjoy it.

Holy Cow, not for beginners!

1    4/18/2012   4/18/2012
Review By: coachhart25
Pros: -not much, but I guess it is very technical. Before playing the course we threw some warm ups and practiced at the soccer fields which were close by...that was very beneficial and nice to do.
Cons: Unfortunately for my wife and me, this had a ton of drawbacks. We are new to disc golf, so maybe this is just the way it is, but here we go:

Right when we got there, we had the hardest time just finding the first hole. No sign or layout board or anything!
After we did find it (past the skate park) the sign for the first tee box was backward, meaning that the sign was facing the wrong way. This was quickly realized, but weird nonetheless. Hole 1 was on a landing where 10 feet in any direction and the disc slid 15-20 feet down a crevasse.hole 2 my wife threw a bogey, which a great accomplishment, but I don't want to play pinball like that! The hole was roughly placed between 50 oaks and scrub oaks...OMG!!! The roughest thing though for us was the lack of walkways or to show you where the next hole is... once we were going to hole three, we ended up back to one because we followed the trail...

I don't mind the rough terrain, but come on, tell me where to go!!!
Other Thoughts: I don't want to sound totally negative, and I know we will play it again to see if we have gotten better...but you might as well just bring your putterand maybe your roc or shark and play with that, lol

One time

1    8/8/2011   1/8/2012
Review By: Steamrohler
Pros: -lots of different distances
-good baskets
-different shot selection (not all hyzers)
-good use of elevation that is available
Cons: -poor signage (difficult to find next tee)
Other Thoughts: Was in town for a short time so did not get to play with locals, would have probably been a better experience if someone was there to play with.

Technical Fun!

1    8/10/2011   8/10/2011
Review By: Turner512
Pros: Great technicality with decent range in distance and heavily wooded to slightly hilly terrain. I really enjoy technical courses and this was definitely one of those. Hole one is probably the most open but still requires accurate shooting. You can get double bogies on holes with a smile. Decent changes in distance and the 720 will throw you for a loop. Most of the tee signs are correct and display good info. Great for a nine hole!
Cons: Some tee's are hard to find. Hole one is definitely difficult to find. Look out for a barely rock separated tee. Mulch is loosening and is no longer a great judge in direction. I give this course a 3 because I don't think its for everyone. Beginners and open accustomed player probably wouldn't enjoy it as much as I did.
Other Thoughts: For pros and people who want to work on tight accuracy, this is a great course. If you're starting out, this might not be your favorite course.

When it's Hot Out

5+    5/23/2010   4/4/2011
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: Brushy Creek Sports is lined by a fairway of bark that gives you a general direction as to where to go next. I miss this course very much, if anyone out there wants to donate airfare to me to any play within 300 miles of this course. I'll play it. This course is difficult; pulling off a good shot here makes you feel great. As nine hole courses go there are a few long holes here and it towers above the simple neighborhood park course. This course is unforgiving once a tree is bashed, and it gets deep into trees and stays mostly in the natural setting.

I played here a bunch when it got hot out and enjoyed the shade. I had the pleasure of enjoying this course after a period of heavy rain so water hazards abound for a few months. I have played maybe three dry rounds here and each way has benefits. The course plays even more beautiful when the water is moving over the limestone and the round is more difficult. Without water scores comes down a tad and there are some interesting looks that were not available before hand from the dry wash bed.

Compared to its north Austin area nine hole brothers, this course is king. The park has restrooms and there is plenty of parking. There are no crowds here and a round can be accomplished quickly. Number one has a typical Texas tight lined fairway, but goes to a point in the trees where the course plays in and under the canopy. It's like a step inside. From this point until some parts in the back, the course is shaded and you must throw darts to survive. This is my personal favorite style of course.
Cons: There's room for improvement. I admit to being turned around and needing a scouting mission or two my first time here. It seems easy enough to follow the trail of bark, but I am proof that you can get lost on your first go. Adding sinage or cement teepads would be a nice cherry on top. This is it most basic flaw. The design for big bombers would probably be frustrating. There is very little margin for error. The greatest shot, if off my one centimeter, becomes difficult in a hurry. It's tough; people focused on scores may need to prepare themselves for a five or six on a hole or two.
Other Thoughts: For a little less than a year I considered this my home course. This was where I played when Circle C and East Metro, which are no doubt better courses, felt like too much of a challenge and I just wanted to enjoy the sport for an afternoon. At first I felt the rating reflected a high amount of home boy bias. As I became the home boy myself, I really grew to love this course. I've seen deer, snakes, lizards, and fish when it's full of water here.

I've shot under par only a few times because its freakishly hard and requires a certain amount of luck and creativity that make for very interesting rounds. If you only care about carding great scores, then I could see being frustrated here. Trust me; there are birds to be had here. If you are like me and have much love for a course that plays into nature, this is one of your places. I would recommend the course to anyone, and let lesser experienced golfers decide, like I have, what they feel about this place from the bushes. For a traveler, when you come to Austin play the other courses and put this in your top 5-10, but when you are here, you'll understand why a guy that lived on the 620 really grew to like this course.

You can come here to get away from the crowds at the better and most established courses in the Austin area. By no means is this a rinky-dink park nine holer. I could see rating this course anywhere from a 2 to a 4. Ultimately for me the things I like about it outweigh what I don't like about it.

Nice, Challenging Course

5+    7/25/2010   9/25/2010
Review By: mavjr24
Pros: This is a very tough and rough course to play. WIth that being said this is one of my favorite courses to play. Its very challenging and creates a situation for you that can only be overcome if you get bette as you play.
Cons: Trees and long dog legs on a few
Other Thoughts: I dare you to go even or better on this course.

Fun and technical

5+    8/23/2010   8/24/2010
Review By: Chain_Smoker
Pros: This is by far one of my favorite courses. It's really not all that hard to find. You go into the park entrance from brushy creek, turn right and head towards the skate park and the first hole is right on the other of the big bowl. This course is great to go to on a hot day, surrounded by countless trees but still having a stable breeze. You have a variety of holes on this course from your straight drives to your technical dog legs. Most of the course is covered in trees and a few holes, like #3, require that you throw right at one. There are a number of holes that will test your patience. Feels a little long for a nine hole too, maybe it's just hole #5 or #6 because they're so long. The tees are marked very well with little red sprout looking things.
Cons: For you beginners, this is going to be a real frustrating course. You are going to hit trees and in most cases, it will cause you to throw from the thick brush. It's difficult to regain strokes and you can almost expect to bogey more than you birdie. For the experienced players, the only bad thing I can say is the plant life can get caught up underneath your feet and you will also be challenged as well on the course. It's tough but fun though.
Other Thoughts: Great course for shade, fun, and challenges. It's secluded and fun for anyone. Go to this course.

Darkwoods

2-4    1/14/2010   4/12/2010
Review By: DrDipsomania
Pros: Technically precise short course. Despite a lack of signs, pins are marked, all the baskets are in great condition (they are, after all, pretty new), and the fairway is made abundantly clear by the bright wood chips laid down leading from tee box to pin. The tee boxes are... present. No flat, open holes with 100' wide fairways here; power & distance are almost detrimental to a well played round, making way for precision & composed shots. Abundant trees offer ample shade from the strong Texas sun. Meticulously designed and, so far, well maintained. Pretty low key course, generally unpopulated.
Cons: Due to construction in the area, it's a pain to park and then get to the first hole. When you do get there, it's a little disheartening to find that there are no signs. This can lead to some confusion as to where the tee boxes are. Tee boxes are dirt patches semi-enclosed by rocks; as such, it's advisable to play when the ground is dry, and not to need a run-up to tee off. Some of the lines are like those out at Bible Ridge: asking a bit too much. Unlike there, though, an errant shot won't punish you too much (unless you have to wade through thorn bushes to retrieve your disc), and you can usually get a pretty okay line on a recovery shot. Only 9 holes. I've heard from other golfers in the area that there are plans to extend it to 18; I've also heard from other golfers in the area that there are no such plans.
Other Thoughts: Love the shade, but it comes at a price, and that price is paid in your score.

So Polished Yet Still so Rough

1    3/14/2010   3/20/2010
Review By: srm_520
This review was updated on 3/26/2010
Pros: If you are a fan of tight and technical, than this is the place for you. There are no real open holes, and instead wind you through a mix of hill country trees and cactus. The creek, during the rainy season, adds extra depth to these intense nine holes. Even experienced players will have to work to get pars and birdies.

I love that a mulch path guides you through the holes and transitions between holes. It's a nice little feature seen on a few of the newer Houck courses in the Austin area. It's necessary though with the lack of everything else. I also have to praise the work involved placing stones, and other features to help navigate through the woods. It's rough, but very cool.

BEST HOLE/S: #3
Cons: My first question is - when construction on the course took place and #1 essentially disappeared from view - why didn't they just renumber and make #8 the new #1 and make #7 the new #9. This would have may the flow to the parking area a lot easier, and help with navigation issues for anyone without a map or not familiar with the course. As it stands - #1 is a long trek around the skate park area, and #9 ends dead center in the woods leaving you to take the trail back out. This kind of issue is small, but really annoys me.

There are no signs, and the tee boxes are vaguely worn by play since this course is so new. Besides having a map, the only indication you have about being on the right hole is the numbered pin, but on holes like #3, #5, and #9 this can be difficult due to length. Hopefully this issue will be resolved soon, because I've played enough Houck designs to know that quality signage is one of the specialties his courses have to offer. Note, there is a map on hole #1, but the post is not in good shape, so we'll see how long it stays there.

As always, there is a fine line between tight and challenging to a little absurd. I like heavily wooded courses that reward me for accuracy and punish me for being off, but to a point. #5 is a great example of a long wooded hole open just enough to let you shape shots around the trees and get good placement for your next shot. However, move forward to #9 and what? Your disc had better be laser guided since this pinball hole is more luck than skill. A few more key trees should be removed here to make this course really enjoyable.

WORST HOLE/S: #9
Other Thoughts: It's hard to rate a course that plays so well for the advanced player, and yet is still so rough that it lacks the basic essentials a good course needs to rate high. On the other hand having things like mulch run the whole course lets me know that love, sweat, and time have been poured out already, so hopefully the signage and navigation issues will be fixed this year. Newer players may enjoy the atmosphere but be forewarned that may not be the best place for you. It's easily frustrating on the best days for any recreational level player. I think Sidewinding made the best comparison; this course is a shorter yet no less challenging version of East Metro Park in Manor.

I think this is a great place to play in conjunction with the slightly more open Brushy Creek MUD DGC, and I am really anxious to get back here in a about six months to see what improvements have been made. This course certainly has a lot of potential and is a great addition to the Round Rock area, so my hopes are high. Bottom line, bring a map, expect to be challenged and even frustrated at times, but also expect to get a very interesting and rewarding nine holes of golf.

5+    2/13/2010   2/17/2010
Review By: TEX97
This review was updated on 2/22/2010
Pros: Challenging yet fun. Great layout though the trees, with a creek running thoughout entire course. Beautiful course thought the woods. Summertime shade, no problem! Lately the rain has keeped water in the creek making for great play on basically 8 of the 9 holes. Excellent scenary all around. Large stepping stones and stone stairs going over creeks. Lots of trees, rough isnt to bad and not extremely hard to throw out of, with time and wear will only get better. Not very crowded, yet. On a sunny weekend day youll find maybe six small groups playing the course at a time.

Only been playing disc golf since Nov '09 and this is one of my favorite small courses. Even as a new player i have found that if played with ease this course is a breeze. No room to really bomb a disc down the fairway. Tight tunnel shots definatly help accuacy. I have birdied holes 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, and 8, although not is the same game, but gives me hope that one day i will pull a great game together here. I usually throw around +4 OR +5 on amateur par here which isnt great but isnt too bad for a beginner.
Cons: No signs telling you where hole one is located. Some tees are hard to find if its your first time. Bring a course map is you can. Tees are dirt with little rock piles to designate. After rain tees are a little muddy. Very tight tree fairways on 90% of course, can be frustrating to impaitient players. Lack of trash cans causes clutter at some holes. I try to at least pick up some trash when i go out there. There is water but its not deep and very narrow so its easy to retrieve discs. Hole 1 basket is on an island surrounded by water, pretty fun but easy to throw over, left and right of basket into water. Hole 6, on nice days, has walkers cut through to get to the park.
Other Thoughts: Overall i think this is an excellent course, definatly one of my favorite courses next to wilco, brushy MUD, and pease. I think once the park is finished and more people visit the course it will break in very nice. Trash cans are a must, at least at the parking lot/basketball court area. Signs and better tees is all the course will need to be one of the best 9 holes out there. Everyone can play this course and i recommend it to all. Its just a great place to go play disc golf.