Warwick, NY
Brakewell Steel / Warwick Park - Wolfe Woods Share
Uploaded By: toothyfish Hole #13 (Taken 12/2010)
Hole #13 Long Tee: Short tee just ahead, basket is over, down, and slightly right

If Only I was a Local

1    10/12/2012   11/30/2012
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- Great Little Technical Course. Wolfe Woods is a great little Roc/Putter/occasional driver course. I really enjoy these kinds of courses where all you need to do is throw shots you should make (if you're an advanced player). It's great practice, and it's fun to get birdies. Plus, this course would be a great course for beginning level players to cut their teeth on and get their game up before playing Brakewell Steel, although the opportunity to lose discs would be more prevalent.
- The Creek. There is a fantastic winding creek that flows throughout the course, creating some wonderful shots and dangerous greens. It was definitely the highlight of the course. It also added to the aesthetic value of the holes and course in general.
- 2 Ways to Play. There were long and short tees on the Wolfe Woods course (if I remember correctly the silver and the blues). Having played 2 other courses that day, I opted to play the shorter of the two.
- Brakewell Steel. I cannot imagine what it would be like to have Warwick Park's courses as my home courses… not only would I have the tighter, technical, mid-range game Wolfe Woods offers, but I would have the long, championship game that Brakewell offers too… allowing me to completely develop my skills.
Cons:
- Navigation. I have played tons of courses, in tons of places, usually by myself, and usually without a map… and I rarely get lost or turned around. However, somehow I skipped a few holes, in a few different locations, along the way… and since I had already golfed a lot that day, I wasn't entirely concerned with going back to find the holes.
- It's Not Brakewell. Probably the biggest issue with Wolfe Woods is that you'd rather be playing the other course on the other side of the park. It's hard to take Wolfe Woods seriously when you just got done playing its MUCH bigger brother (and Joralemon earlier that day). It's kind of like when I played Pyramids after leaving Maple Hill… I kept thinking about how I'd rather be playing Maple Hill. However, if I was a local, I would be all over Wolfe Woods, as I'm sure beating your arm to death playing Brakewell would get old.
- Overall… How great it would be to have Warwick be your home park? You'd have a great tuner course in Wolfe Woods and an amazing championship level course in Brakewell Steel. In reality, for me, Wolfe Woods was just an opportunity to bag an extra course in NY. I had already played Joralemon and Brakewell that day and was fairly worn out. I took a putter, roc and leopard with me and just tried to trudge through. I actually enjoyed the course, mostly due to the creek running through it, but also because it was fairly demanding in its shot requirements (considering). Somehow, I got lost and skipped a few holes, getting mixed up between the longs and shorts and some of the crossover that happens between the blue and silver layouts. I was too tired to go back, and was happy enough to have played enough of the course to check it off the list - my mind was elsewhere anyway: Brakewell Steel.

Wolfe "Creek"

1    9/25/2011   10/3/2011
Review By: forehandfranz
Pros: This course plays off the edge of Warwick (there is a beautiful sign and wood benches off Warwick's #16) that will let you know where it starts). Most of the holes have two tee pads that will give you a two levels of play (Am and pro). The signs and the direction arrows are really helpful to let you know where you are throwing and where the tees are located (I would have been really confused otherwise).

This course is challenging in many ways. A creek winds through the first half of the course and lends to skillful placement of shots. Just as you are tiring of the water, it disappears. It's a technical and woody affair for the most part with a decent amount of elevation mixed in.

It was also less crowded than the Warwick course on a Sunday afternoon.
Cons: Tee pads are gravel or rubber. It was wet when I played and they became slippery, and even the rubber ones had enough mud and dirt on them to add to slippage.

Lots of extra walking to get to many of the pro tee pads, and its not always clear where to go (even with the signs to help). Finding the 17th tee was very unclear with no arrows and a very long trail to get there (just go left from 16 pin and go past #15 blue tee and keep going).
Other Thoughts: I am anxious to try the short tees next time as they would be a way to work with the midranges and be a lot less walking.

Decent course away from th crowds.

1    8/13/2011   8/13/2011
Review By: prerube
Pros: Wooded course with dual tee pads and excellent signage.

Great place to hide from crowds on the main course.

Red baskets are easy to see.

Plays around the creek on many holes.

Benches on many holes.

The first third of the course is the best part. Hole 4's downhill shot over the creek is probably the best of the first 6 holes, but hole 6 gives it some competition with a scenic shot around the winding creek. There are a few interesting holes with great potential in the back half, but they are in rough shape.
Lots of shade and decent scenery.
Cons: It is worth the trek back up the hill to play 7 blue. 7 silver is horrible. The tee is directly behind a tree with the no clear shot in front of you, but a perfect fairway just to the left of the tee. The tee itself is full of sharp rocks and roots sticking up. I would always opt for blue over silver, especially when 7 blue is a nice over the valley shot.

Tee pads are inconsistent, some are wrinkled warped rubber, some are gravel, some are dirt, but most are uneven and difficult to use.

In the back 9 the rough was getting out of control, the vegetation was overgrown and I went from wanting to throw multiple discs on the first few holes to wanting to skip holes entirely due to the waist high foliage. Holes 9, 10, 12, 13, 16, and 17 were all in need of maintenance.

Flow was not nearly as nice as Warwick Brakewell Steel's Animal course. After hole 5 you pop out at hole 7 blue. After you play 6 you have to climb a steep hill to get back to 7 blue. There were a few long walks, but the walk to 17 seemed to cut back through half the course.
Other Thoughts: This is a nice addition to the Animal course, but it is overgrown and the tee pads are very rough and nearly unusable.
It is a no brainer that this is worth a play if you are coming to play the Animal course, but it is not worth a trip by itself.

A Nice Compliment.

1    5/20/2010   5/20/2010
Review By: Vepr
This review was updated on 5/26/2010
Pros: -The course is quite challenging filled with a lot of variety for a wooded course.
-The stream is utilized extremely well with the overall course design to make it very interesting. Streams sometimes protect the greens, run along side a fairway, or you must tee off over one.
-Hole 12 is an awesome hole.Its sort of on a little cliff where you can go either right or left. Going right is a tight little uphill shot that suddenly drops off to the basket. Going left is a downhill drive that eventually gently curves up to the basket. Two different extremes on one hole!
-Hole 15 has an interesting tee off from high up on one hill, then proceeds into a valley and then up another hill to the basket.
-It is well-thought out and does not grow mundane. Each hole is always different.
Cons: -Definitely needs signs to help pinpoint blind baskets because the fairways can be misleading.
-The course isn't quite broken in so it is a bit of a haul. After a while tall grass and weeds get in the way and become annoying and take away some joy from the course. Although you have to consider it is a difficult piece of land to mow/maintain considering how its in a wetlandish, secluded area.
-Discs are very easy to lose. I had 3 other friends with me helping spot for throws and we lost discs 3 times (lucky we found 2 of them after 20 minutes of searching, desperately may i add).
-It is very hard to navigate. My friends and I forgot to print a map and we definitely regret it. The walk from hole 16 to hole 17 is on a pathway that splits into 5 different options! And the next tee sign does not help because it doesn't have an arrow.
-Watch out for fallen down barb wire in places.
Other Thoughts: Definitely expect to possibly lose a disc here. There was a group a head of mine and behind mine so we were finding each other's discs sometimes! Actually enough discs got lost that afterwards we all had to meet up in the parking lot and exchange discs! Something i never had to do before.

Once you see hole 15 you may just breathe a sigh of relief like I did because it it the first truly open hole on the course. If you like wooded courses you should definitely check this out because only two holes are really open (15+16).

It is a good course to play with lots of variety in the woods, but surprisingly exhausting for its length because it has yet to be broken in. This is definitely a nice little course that compliments the more well-known Warwick course and could be rated higher once more traffic flows through.

5+    4/13/2009   7/28/2009
Review By: StymieDidIt
Pros: Heavily wooded but a lot of fun to play. Stream comes into play a number of times. Short and long tees. Good elevation changes and lots of technical holes. Big arms won't have much of an advantage here.
Cons: I found the rubber pads to be slippery when wet and hard to throw from. some tees are dirt, which was fine for the hole. Definately a 2/3 season course. By the end of April or earky May the course is barely navigable. The lost disc factor would be too great. Better markings and signs would be great. Without the map that I printed off the website, I don't think I would have been able to find my way from hole to hole.
Other Thoughts: I really like the course despite the cons that I wrote. The group I play with, can't wait till the Fall so we can get in there and play it again