Clyde, NC
Haywood Community College Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #5 (Taken 11/2009)

Beautiful, short but wooded course

2-4    6/3/2012   6/3/2012
Review By: McFer
Pros: The course is absolutely beautiful, like any course in the mountains of Western North Carolina is bound to be. We're lucky here! Although the course is short, the majority of the holes are still moderately challenging because of tight tunnels and ample trees.

The final two holes around the lake are open and while the holes themselves are unimaginative, the lake and the mill house are picturesque and make the holes fun. The course makes great use of the community college campus in most cases, and they did a great job of limiting opportunities for pedestrian interaction.

The middle portion of the course gives the player the impression that they're far further off the beaten path than they actually are, until one of the holes finishes in the vicinity of a school maintenance shed. While there's plenty of poison ivy and jaggers in the rough, the fairways are well-cleared. The course layout is mostly logical and easy to follow.

There are maps at the first tee that help with the few non-obvious tee locations, and the few people we encountered were friendly and helpful, advising us that we should move our van because the campus gates would be closing at 5pm, which occurs on weekends, though the gates were still open when we left well after 5pm due to an event being held on campus. Better safe than sorry, though.
Cons: The green chastity belts on the baskets make them far too hard to locate. The dirt/gravel tees aren't too bad for traction, but many are very short, though that isn't that big of a deal because distance is secondary to shot-making here. Two baskets were simply missing when we played it last, #10 and #11. It appeared that they were temporarily removed to accommodate campus maintenance work, but it would have been helpful if that was noted near the tee box instead of having to go basket searching in vain. As mentioned in other reviews, some limited culling of trees would open up more line options on the heavily wooded holes.
Other Thoughts: This is a fun, pretty course to play, and the lack of long-distance holes makes it a fun course to play for a disparate group while the heavily wooded format presents plenty of intriguing challenges for more advanced players. For a campus course, most of the course is secluded and quiet. The course rewards finesse and putting and that's a welcome contrast to my home course, Catamount Links.

Cute

1    12/4/2011   12/7/2011
Review By: Stan McDaniel
Pros: This was a fun walk through the course. There were many scenic holes as you would expect in the mountains.I expected a short course since it was on a community college campus. It was short and I though appropriate for the target audience that the school would have in mind. Beginners would have a blast on this course and people who just want to get out and throw a little bit without having to throw hard will also love it. I was grateful that there were maps on the kiosk. The garden area by 17 and 18 is lovely and then the lake there with the water wheel is idyllic. Holes 1 and 18 are lengthy as opposed to the rest of the course and are both beautiful holes. I totally enjoyed my stop while on the road to play this course. It won't be my last stop there.
Cons: It would be nice to have concrete tees, but I sensed an environmental frugality on the course. There were a lot of smaller trees that could be culled to make some of the short holes more fair, but they were still fun to play. I think the pin on #4 could be moved downhill a bit, but the fence has a couple of sections removed now in case you go over the fence. I would have liked to have seen more green transition arrows on trees and perhaps some green arrows painted on the walks and pavement to help me navigate. I got pretty lost somewhere around 10 to 11 or 11 to 12 and it took me a while to figure it out even with my map. I do not know if there are restrooms open to the public but I didn't see one.
Other Thoughts: I gave this course a fairly high rating for the fun factor. My wife and daughter will enjoy playing this on our next trip through the mountains. It is perfect for a pit stop during a road trip. I further think that locals have the opportunity to stretch it out by chosing to tee from alternate locations to further add challenge.

Woods by the pond

2-4    6/7/2009   9/22/2011
Review By: DiscChainBasket18
Pros: Beautiful pond-side setting with grassy fairways & mountain views. Course plays mostly in the woods. Hole #1 is open & #17 & #18 offer some open shots around the pond. Elevation is in play on most holes but no big hike. Nice color tee signs on every hole show basic info. Very clean (no litter/trash). Mostly short holes make the round quick.
Cons: No benches. Natural tee pads (I prefer concrete) mean some slippery dirt, roots, pine needels, etc. Could use a couple longer holes.
Other Thoughts: I was struck by the beauty of the place as soon as we pulled into the parking lot. The pond is stunning! #4 is my favorite hole. It is a short open shot to a basket set behind a wall of trees. Really makes you think about your shot. Great course & layout. I would def go back & would highly recommend it to others.