Canon City, CO
Gorge Hills (Skyline/PCC) Share
Uploaded By: LeewayeDiscGolf Hole #8 (Taken 9/2010)
Hole #8 Pro Tee

1 2 Next >
 Don't Fall on a Cactus

1    7/19/2009   7/21/2009
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: The course design finds the interesting parts of land that the campus is limited to. There are good sings on one of the tee box locations for each hole as is circles the campus. There are a few distinct characteristics along the way; terrace walls, a dry wooded creek bed, and cactus covered hills. The interesting locations are sewn together with a series of very long holes. The last three in my opinion being the most fun, a 200 foot hole, 50 of them up a crazy cactus covered mound. Then the course takes you under power lines to another mound and next to a small pine tree both being tantalizingly dangerous ace runs. Finally a reachable bomber to finish out the round from an elevated tee spot. This was the first round I had played with Gateway Titan baskets and I was surprised by their quality, much better than their various plastics (imo), they have three layers of chains and catch pretty well.
Cons: For much of the course you are just be chucking into the middle of a prairie in the hot high arid weeds. If you are looking for a nice cool shady round, you wont get it here. Sometimes the signs are near the reds and other times the sign is near the blue locations. Both tee-pad locations are marked with a set of colored flags and illustrated on the hole signs but since they are natural the location that is not by the sign is not always easy to find. For example number two's tee, I wanted to throw blue which I guess is up three terrace levels and would have been much more fun, but since I had already walked about 100 plus feet to the sign by the reds I ended up throwing from there because it didn't seem worth walking back up. I ended up just throwing from whatever color was next to the sign throughout the round.

There are ants everywhere it was hard to find a good spot to set my bag down and I learned to kick my bag to knock off the ants. I would not recommend playing in sandals and shorts here, this terrain made me glad I always wear jeans. Sometimes I had to go on scouting missions for the basket locations and other times the next tee wasn't evidently clear to me. I had some confusion finding number six, after the five basket. Printing out the map that is available here was very helpful.
Other Thoughts: I'm still very conflicted with my feelings of this course. I would have to recommend it for hardy golfers who do not mind trudging through tall weeds and climbing around cactus in the hot summer sun in altitude. After the first few holes I wasn't sold on this course but as you make your way to the last few holes the more interesting locations reveal themselves to like a pleasant surprise that left me with an overall positive feeling about this very new course. The course is very new and I imagine as it ages things will improve and the paths will be more worn and all the kinks will be ironed out. I would play this one again if I'm ever back in town, it's on a natural setting and I love em that way.

1 2 Next >