Brownsville, KY

Holy Holler Batman...

2-4    1/17/2015   1/17/2015
Review By: dad_of_dg_junkies
This review was updated on 9/18/2015
Pros: 1) The course sits on private property and it was very well kept.
2)The tee pad were very grippy. We even played in a small amount of snow in the morning round.
3) The course has a very good mix of flat and VERY hilly holes.
4)The best thing that I can say about this course is that I never felt forced to play a certain shot. Sure there are some tight holes but I seemed to have options on every one.
5) Holes 14-18 were the most enjoyable closing holes that I can remember.
6) The pin placements are a big pro on this course. Some are raised, some have steep fall-offs, You almost never have a putt that you can just run. (Risk/Reward)
7) The course does an outstanding job of using the natural terrain to create a masterpiece.
The use of elevation creates some really nice holes. I have looked at the pictures on here, but trust me when I tell you that that real thing is MUCH steeper than it looks.
8) This is a pay for play course and we saw the donation box on hole 5. The standard donation I believe is $5. That is a steal.
9) Navigation on this course isn't a problem at all. The course flows very well and there are next tee signs in the locations that aren't obvious.
10) There is course information (including OB's) as you head to the 1st tee from the parking lot.
11) This course isn't an easy walk. It has lots of cross slopes and some very steep hills to walk up and down.
I will say that the owner has done very well at providing some help to get up and down. He is to be commended for this. I GREATLY appreciated it.
12) Every place has a signature hole. I choose #3, #9, #14, #15 and #17. Seriously they are that good.
13) Don't forget to play the letter holes. They are a little more gentle than the numbered holes. Lots of deuces are possible, while still be very pleasing to the eye!
Cons: I had a lack of tee signs here... New tee signs were up on my trip to this course in May 2015

Other Thoughts: I have now played 2 private courses, (Harmon Hills being the other) and they have a different vibe to them. I can't express the what a great time we had at Holler in the Hills. You will need to sign a waiver to play since it is on private property but it was not big deal. Bring something to hydrate and be prepared for some high quality disc golf. Don't expect to race around this place. It does take some time to play this place. This course goes right near the TOP of my list. Make the trip... You won't regret it.

1    10/24/2014   10/25/2014
Review By: Topper_34_1
Pros: I played Holler for the first time yesterday and all I could say was, "Wow." There are many signature shots on this course but it is not for the faint of heart. When I was driving to the course I saw a sign a mile from the course that said that Mammoth Cave National Park was 5 miles away and you could really tell you were in cave country with some of the holes. I haven't seen many people comment on the "extra holes" (a-e), but I thought they were some of the most fun and challenging shots on the course. This was the first pay-to-play course I have ever been to, and I definitely feel like $5 was a reasonable donation for a course of this caliber.
Cons: This course, as other people have said is definitely in a holler as the name suggests. I tried to play the course in under an hour in a half and I regret that. There are huge elevation changes which may be hard on someone if they are out of shape (like I am.) I don't think the tee pads were as much of a con as some of the tee signs were. Since I was playing the course for the first time I was trusting the tee signs for the blind tee shots. There were a few tee signs that didn't show the exact direction and that caused a few shots that I thought were parked by the tee sign, but come to find out were 50 ft. to the right of the basket.
Other Thoughts: Definitely a must play in the BG area. It was nice to get away from the same courses I play in BG. I will definitely go back to Holler. Howie is great, and I got to talk to some of his family who were on the course working. Thanks for a great experience Howie!

Epic Disc Golf

1    2/12/2014   4/12/2014
Review By: SimonCarr
Pros: The drive is worth it.

Great elevation change on this course - its a real hike, but totally worth it. The course makes use of a lot of natural hazards (creek, pond, streams, rock walls, school bus). Every shot is interesting.

This is one of the top places I've played at just because its so unique. Near the top of the holler - the throw from on top of a boulder is perfectly setup. Maybe my favorite was #17 throwing back across the holler. Epic disc golf shot.

Not a course for someone wanting to knock out a round quickly - but if you are making a day trip, this is a very worthy choice!

I have to rate it a 5. It has some minor flaws, which are forgivable - playing this one again when I can get the time.
Cons: It is not closer to Nashville.
Other Thoughts: Get your birdies on the first 6 before going up the hill!

Fun ..Fun..Fun even for the rec disc golfer

1    9/14/2013   9/14/2013
Review By: robthky
Pros: This is the absolute funnest course i have played in SWC KY. Most challenging course near BGKY.

Read the provided "Tips Sheet"
Cons: None. Read the tips and FOLLOW THE TIPS! I did not and slipped and lost a disc on the "Pond Shot"
Other Thoughts: FOLLOW THE TIPS! Seriously, follow the tips on the advice sheet provided on the info board.

One of the best!

1    4/6/2013   4/19/2013
Review By: JC AceHole
Pros: This is disc golf at its finest. Located in a true Kentucky holler. As we played this course, I continually kept thinking how there wasn't a single bad hole on this course. The real fun starts when you get on the hill though...

We were lucky enough to play the 24 hole layout as howie had it all set up. This course has a wide variety of shots that will challenge most players. Flat holes, water holes, more open, heavily wooded and ones with extreme elevation. You really get a feeling of seclusion here as you are away from most of the world in this hollar and when we played we were the only group out there. The extra holes set up are shorter however are very technical and extremely fun. You get to tee off from inside a cave opening on one of them and the basket is on a large rock formation way below at the bottom of the hollar. Truly breathtaking.
Cons: If I had to pick somthing I would say a small bridge to cross the creek by hole i believe its 3 or 4 would be nice. I threw a roc down in there and it got to the other side of that creek and I couldn't find a way to cross at all. I don't neccessarly know if this is a con... Mabye I just need to learn not to throw my discs into water...
Other Thoughts: Out of the bowling green are courses, this is by far the best in that area. I have played many of the top ranked courses in the country and i think this is up there with the best of the best. I really could go on for a while about this magical place but words can't describe how wonderful this course is. I would recomend going for yourself to really experience this gem in the Kentucky hills.

This is my 100th course played, ranked in my top 5 so far

1    4/12/2013   4/19/2013
Review By: Brokensaint
Pros: Practically everything about this course is a "pro". We arrived about 7am, the morning after a day of torrential rains. The creek was very high and moving. There was ground water seeping up, forming myriad rivulets of water along the many slopes of the course. Just an absolutely beautiful environment to start the day.
Each hole, whether it threw flat with water on the side or behind, or the many up and down holes throughout, not one of them was a gimme or throw-away hole. Howie has great signage everywhere, so navigation was not a problem at all.
Several unique "signature" holes, notably the bonus holes that use a natural bluff as environment, and hole 14, where both tee and pin are atop separate boulders jutting from the hillside.
Cons: This is not a county park, so restrooms, drinking fountains, etc are missing. It's a Kentucky holler. There are bugs, ticks, and nature. That's why you go there.
Other Thoughts: A private course that deftly illustrates what nature golf and true love of the sport means. I highly recommend taking the time to make your way to Holler in the Hills. You will not be disappointed.

Diamond in the Holler

5+    12/14/2012   1/14/2013
Review By: go18under
Pros: If you like Disc will love Holler.
Plenty of parking and info about the course.
Obviously well maintained, you start noticing the details right away.
Hole 1 (elevated basket), 2, 3 plays along the creek in the bottom of the holler. Hole 3 is a very smart designed par 5, lots of risk/reward. You better not relax! Hole 6 is unique, cool old school bus that you must hyzer around. Hole 9 is where it really starts.....better catch your breath. All the fairways are well defined, with multiple opportunities for 2's with good, smart drives. Make sure you take a few minutes to think about life as you retrieve your disc from Hole 12 basket. Think about how blessed we are to be able to climb a mountain, think about Howie and how he maintains this gem for us. Hole 14, you get to throw from a large boulder on the side of the hill, to another boulder on the side of a hill with a basket on it!! Hole 15 is the top of the holler, check out the cave hangouts over the next few holes:) The 5 new holes after 15 are a nice additions, and super cool. I have played over 100 courses, and there are shots at holler that I don't get to throw anywhere else. Hole a beat up putter with a lil anhyzer, and watch it sail down a perfect pipe....but be careful...5 feet past the basket is another valley that you could keep sailing down:) Hole 17 is my better be able to throw a roc or mako on a straight 315' straight rope, or else you will be about 100' feet down in the bottom of the ravine. Hole 18 is a great finishing hole featuring an elevated basket on a downhill slope with OB behind it. Then you get to sit by the lake, catch your breath (literally), and probably talk with Howie about how much fun you just had. There are NO unknown elements, you just have to be aware, and play smart. There are benches and good signage on every hole, plenty of cool hangout spots....very quiet, and peaceful. Playing this course will make you a better golfer, and a better person if you let it.
Cons: My con would be for beginners that might get frustrated, but Howie was nice enough to add AM pads for some of the holes. If I had to pick another con, it would be the teepads. I guess the tics are a con, but the course is in a holler, what do you expect? I rate this course a 5.5, so I will knock it down to 5 to be fair:) PS: Give it a few days after a big rain, THIS IS A KY HOLLER:), it does hold water in the bottoms where the first 4 holes are located.
Other Thoughts: Thanks Howie Baird!! I know how much work you put in out there. Yes, your disc might roll off the side of the mountain, or you might have to go for a swim, but a day on the holler is good for the soul. It literally humbles me in more ways than one while I'm there. Thank you!!

one of the best courses ever made

5+    10/20/2012   10/22/2012
Review By: MikusRighteous
Pros: Layout of each hole is sweet. He just added in some new holes which go along with the course very well. The scenery is phenomenal, near mammoth cave national park. Takes very skilled shots to reach the basket. Definitely a course to improve your game.
Cons: Other than some of the teepads being rubber, not that it bothers me any, there's nothing else that i could see being a factor.
Other Thoughts: Very much a course to put in your "bucket" list

Holla Rocks!

1    3/29/2012   5/11/2012
Review By: AcesandChains
Pros: Terrain. The first three holes play along a small river, both picturesque, and risk/reward rich. Holes 9-18 play up and down the mountainside. Basket placement is extremely interesting, with many of them on top of rock formations. Risk/reward is high, with the slope of the mountain in play. I thought I had a moment with God up there on hole 15. Sat at 16's tee pad for about 45 minutes. I just didn't want to leave. But, finally, the promise of 16's awesome long downhill anny shot thru a tight technical "airway" got me up and throwing again. 17 is a long shot over a deep ravine with a creek at the bottom. Ah, another respit on the small bridge that crosses the creek. The sounds of the moving water, combined with the awesome experience that is Holler had me more relaxed than I've been in a long long time. 18 is another long downhill hole, making for the perfect finish to a nearly perfect course.
Cons: Considering the overall experience, I wasn't that impressed with holes 4-8. Yes, they are good holes, and would fit right in on any other quality course. But Holler is so over the top awesome on the rest of the holes that these 5 holes did not shine so brightly in comparison. And, I wasn't a big fan of the bus. So, even though these holes are good, they're not as good as the rest of the course. But I'm really being nit-picky here, and I didn't see any reason to lower my rating based on those 5 holes. The overall experience is better than I've had at any other course, including Flip City (which is a close second to Holla!)
Other Thoughts: I couldn't figure out if Howie is a genius, or if he put the donation box on the last hole just because it's closer to his house. But, it's the perfect spot. Who could walk by the donation box without contributing after an experience like that? Howie got a $20 from me, and I was glad to give it. Thanks Howie for allowing me to share in your paradise, if only for a short time.

I wish I could play here every day. But I live almsot 400 miles away. Don't miss "Holla" if you pass thru the BG area!

Holla is amazing

1    4/1/2012   4/8/2012
Review By: Dan Oakley
Pros: This course has it all. A great combination of hyser/anhyser shots and long and some tight fairways. The elevation changes are awesome. The teepads were nice and the baskets were also nice.
Cons: none
Other Thoughts: The course is the most fun/demanding course I have played in a while. If you happen to be off line you could really get punished with almost every hole playing on some kind of slope or hill.

< Prev 1 2 3 4