Brownsville, KY

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Epic Disc Golf

1    2/12/2014   4/12/2014
Review By: SimonCarr
Pros: The drive is worth it.

Great elevation change on this course - its a real hike, but totally worth it. The course makes use of a lot of natural hazards (creek, pond, streams, rock walls, school bus). Every shot is interesting.

This is one of the top places I've played at just because its so unique. Near the top of the holler - the throw from on top of a boulder is perfectly setup. Maybe my favorite was #17 throwing back across the holler. Epic disc golf shot.

Not a course for someone wanting to knock out a round quickly - but if you are making a day trip, this is a very worthy choice!

I have to rate it a 5. It has some minor flaws, which are forgivable - playing this one again when I can get the time.
Cons: It is not closer to Nashville.
Other Thoughts: Get your birdies on the first 6 before going up the hill!

5+    10/18/2013   10/21/2013
Review By: DavidHood
Pros: Howie is the epitome of hospitality. He does a good job manicuring the course and a great job of making you feel welcome.
The "bonus" five holes are quality! The rock formations around Mammoth Cave make for great disc golf target placement.
Cons: Tee pads are slippery when wet. Might I suggest FiveTen (they specialize in climbing shoes) Stealth rubber soles? It rained the last time we played and my friends with Vibram rubber soles were complaining (they were sliding all over the place) about the slick tee pads. I felt much more sure footed in my FiveTen shoes. In Howie's defense, we all agreed that concrete pads would be overkill (and hard to relocate) and the rubber mats were the best option.
Other Thoughts: Lots of elevation. Two rounds on this course never fails to remind me that disc golf at this level is a young man's game.

Love this course

2-4    10/12/2013   10/12/2013
Review By: Declarkus
Pros: Fun -- I know everybody says this, but this course has unique holes that keep you loving it the whole way through, Challenging but fair. Good flow, well maintained, benches and brooms at a bunch of holes, plenty of shade.
Cons: Lots of elevation so not for the fat. Some of the tee boxes have this black rubber stuff thats scary slippery when wet. No signage on A-E (I know, its picky)
Other Thoughts: This is my favorite course. I live in Nashville, and I have now made 3 trips up there in the last 3 months. I love the variety, challenge, and relaxing escape from the crowds.

Fun ..Fun..Fun even for the rec disc golfer

1    9/14/2013   9/14/2013
Review By: robthky
Pros: This is the absolute funnest course i have played in SWC KY. Most challenging course near BGKY.

Read the provided "Tips Sheet"
Cons: None. Read the tips and FOLLOW THE TIPS! I did not and slipped and lost a disc on the "Pond Shot"
:-)
Other Thoughts: FOLLOW THE TIPS! Seriously, follow the tips on the advice sheet provided on the info board.

Fun, fun, frustrating, and fun!

2-4    6/30/2013   6/30/2013
Review By: RollingStone
Pros: All basics are covered here. Parking, good tees, etc. Bonus items include significant elevation and water coming into play occasionally.

Every hole will challenge you to bring your "A" game. There are easier holes, but no truly easy holes on this course. Teebird
Cons: Non-matching teepads. While all pads are in good condition due to the phenomenal maintenance done at this course, some picky people may be thrown off by throwing from different surfaces.

This course could be off-putting to newer players. It seems like a set of short tees would be do-able in order to cater to a wider audience.
Other Thoughts: As you can see from my cons, I really had to get nitpicky to find anything to pick on about Holler. This is a course that will challenge you, and therefore it's not a course to bring anything but the discs you have complete and utter confidence in. This seems self-explanatory to older players, but might not be to everyone.

Regardless, the natural beauty of the land Holler is on, and the designer's vision in using that land are among the best I've ever played on. Even though my first round was absolutely brutal, I enjoyed my time as the scenery was worth playing slow and taking in. I will be back in Bowling Green the week after the 4th, and can't wait to get back out to the Holler.

One of the best!

1    4/6/2013   4/19/2013
Review By: JC AceHole
Pros: This is disc golf at its finest. Located in a true Kentucky holler. As we played this course, I continually kept thinking how there wasn't a single bad hole on this course. The real fun starts when you get on the hill though...

We were lucky enough to play the 24 hole layout as howie had it all set up. This course has a wide variety of shots that will challenge most players. Flat holes, water holes, more open, heavily wooded and ones with extreme elevation. You really get a feeling of seclusion here as you are away from most of the world in this hollar and when we played we were the only group out there. The extra holes set up are shorter however are very technical and extremely fun. You get to tee off from inside a cave opening on one of them and the basket is on a large rock formation way below at the bottom of the hollar. Truly breathtaking.
Cons: If I had to pick somthing I would say a small bridge to cross the creek by hole i believe its 3 or 4 would be nice. I threw a roc down in there and it got to the other side of that creek and I couldn't find a way to cross at all. I don't neccessarly know if this is a con... Mabye I just need to learn not to throw my discs into water...
Other Thoughts: Out of the bowling green are courses, this is by far the best in that area. I have played many of the top ranked courses in the country and i think this is up there with the best of the best. I really could go on for a while about this magical place but words can't describe how wonderful this course is. I would recomend going for yourself to really experience this gem in the Kentucky hills.

This is my 100th course played, ranked in my top 5 so far

1    4/12/2013   4/19/2013
Review By: Brokensaint
Pros: Practically everything about this course is a "pro". We arrived about 7am, the morning after a day of torrential rains. The creek was very high and moving. There was ground water seeping up, forming myriad rivulets of water along the many slopes of the course. Just an absolutely beautiful environment to start the day.
Each hole, whether it threw flat with water on the side or behind, or the many up and down holes throughout, not one of them was a gimme or throw-away hole. Howie has great signage everywhere, so navigation was not a problem at all.
Several unique "signature" holes, notably the bonus holes that use a natural bluff as environment, and hole 14, where both tee and pin are atop separate boulders jutting from the hillside.
Cons: This is not a county park, so restrooms, drinking fountains, etc are missing. It's a Kentucky holler. There are bugs, ticks, and nature. That's why you go there.
Other Thoughts: A private course that deftly illustrates what nature golf and true love of the sport means. I highly recommend taking the time to make your way to Holler in the Hills. You will not be disappointed.

Diamond in the Holler

5+    12/14/2012   1/14/2013
Review By: go18under
Pros: If you like Disc Golf.....you will love Holler.
Plenty of parking and info about the course.
Obviously well maintained, you start noticing the details right away.
Hole 1 (elevated basket), 2, 3 plays along the creek in the bottom of the holler. Hole 3 is a very smart designed par 5, lots of risk/reward. You better not relax! Hole 6 is unique, cool old school bus that you must hyzer around. Hole 9 is where it really starts.....better catch your breath. All the fairways are well defined, with multiple opportunities for 2's with good, smart drives. Make sure you take a few minutes to think about life as you retrieve your disc from Hole 12 basket. Think about how blessed we are to be able to climb a mountain, think about Howie and how he maintains this gem for us. Hole 14, you get to throw from a large boulder on the side of the hill, to another boulder on the side of a hill with a basket on it!! Hole 15 is the top of the holler, check out the cave hangouts over the next few holes:) The 5 new holes after 15 are a nice additions, and super cool. I have played over 100 courses, and there are shots at holler that I don't get to throw anywhere else. Hole 16...wow...throw a beat up putter with a lil anhyzer, and watch it sail down a perfect pipe....but be careful...5 feet past the basket is another valley that you could keep sailing down:) Hole 17 is my favorite....you better be able to throw a roc or mako on a straight 315' straight rope, or else you will be about 100' feet down in the bottom of the ravine. Hole 18 is a great finishing hole featuring an elevated basket on a downhill slope with OB behind it. Then you get to sit by the lake, catch your breath (literally), and probably talk with Howie about how much fun you just had. There are NO unknown elements, you just have to be aware, and play smart. There are benches and good signage on every hole, plenty of cool hangout spots....very quiet, and peaceful. Playing this course will make you a better golfer, and a better person if you let it.
Cons: My con would be for beginners that might get frustrated, but Howie was nice enough to add AM pads for some of the holes. If I had to pick another con, it would be the teepads. I guess the tics are a con, but the course is in a holler, what do you expect? I rate this course a 5.5, so I will knock it down to 5 to be fair:) PS: Give it a few days after a big rain, THIS IS A KY HOLLER:), it does hold water in the bottoms where the first 4 holes are located.
Other Thoughts: Thanks Howie Baird!! I know how much work you put in out there. Yes, your disc might roll off the side of the mountain, or you might have to go for a swim, but a day on the holler is good for the soul. It literally humbles me in more ways than one while I'm there. Thank you!!

one of the best courses ever made

5+    10/20/2012   10/22/2012
Review By: MikusRighteous
Pros: Layout of each hole is sweet. He just added in some new holes which go along with the course very well. The scenery is phenomenal, near mammoth cave national park. Takes very skilled shots to reach the basket. Definitely a course to improve your game.
Cons: Other than some of the teepads being rubber, not that it bothers me any, there's nothing else that i could see being a factor.
Other Thoughts: Very much a course to put in your "bucket" list

Yeeee Haaawww!

1    9/4/2012   9/4/2012
Review By: xrayskid
Pros: Amazing use of space on a beautiful mountainside location. Very imaginative tee and pin placements. I was really Jonesing to play this course and it absolutely lived up to the hype.
GO PLAY THIS COURSE!
Cons: The main drawbacks to the course are the very short tees and the fact that the design tremendously favors right handed golfers. I believe there were only 2 holes that faded to the right.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7