Brownsville, KY
Hole #5 Pro Tee

One of the best!

1    4/6/2013   4/19/2013
Review By: JC AceHole
Pros: This is disc golf at its finest. Located in a true Kentucky holler. As we played this course, I continually kept thinking how there wasn't a single bad hole on this course. The real fun starts when you get on the hill though...

We were lucky enough to play the 24 hole layout as howie had it all set up. This course has a wide variety of shots that will challenge most players. Flat holes, water holes, more open, heavily wooded and ones with extreme elevation. You really get a feeling of seclusion here as you are away from most of the world in this hollar and when we played we were the only group out there. The extra holes set up are shorter however are very technical and extremely fun. You get to tee off from inside a cave opening on one of them and the basket is on a large rock formation way below at the bottom of the hollar. Truly breathtaking.
Cons: If I had to pick somthing I would say a small bridge to cross the creek by hole i believe its 3 or 4 would be nice. I threw a roc down in there and it got to the other side of that creek and I couldn't find a way to cross at all. I don't neccessarly know if this is a con... Mabye I just need to learn not to throw my discs into water...
Other Thoughts: Out of the bowling green are courses, this is by far the best in that area. I have played many of the top ranked courses in the country and i think this is up there with the best of the best. I really could go on for a while about this magical place but words can't describe how wonderful this course is. I would recomend going for yourself to really experience this gem in the Kentucky hills.

This is my 100th course played, ranked in my top 5 so far

1    4/12/2013   4/19/2013
Review By: Brokensaint
Pros: Practically everything about this course is a "pro". We arrived about 7am, the morning after a day of torrential rains. The creek was very high and moving. There was ground water seeping up, forming myriad rivulets of water along the many slopes of the course. Just an absolutely beautiful environment to start the day.
Each hole, whether it threw flat with water on the side or behind, or the many up and down holes throughout, not one of them was a gimme or throw-away hole. Howie has great signage everywhere, so navigation was not a problem at all.
Several unique "signature" holes, notably the bonus holes that use a natural bluff as environment, and hole 14, where both tee and pin are atop separate boulders jutting from the hillside.
Cons: This is not a county park, so restrooms, drinking fountains, etc are missing. It's a Kentucky holler. There are bugs, ticks, and nature. That's why you go there.
Other Thoughts: A private course that deftly illustrates what nature golf and true love of the sport means. I highly recommend taking the time to make your way to Holler in the Hills. You will not be disappointed.

Diamond in the Holler

5+    12/14/2012   1/14/2013
Review By: go18under
Pros: If you like Disc will love Holler.
Plenty of parking and info about the course.
Obviously well maintained, you start noticing the details right away.
Hole 1 (elevated basket), 2, 3 plays along the creek in the bottom of the holler. Hole 3 is a very smart designed par 5, lots of risk/reward. You better not relax! Hole 6 is unique, cool old school bus that you must hyzer around. Hole 9 is where it really starts.....better catch your breath. All the fairways are well defined, with multiple opportunities for 2's with good, smart drives. Make sure you take a few minutes to think about life as you retrieve your disc from Hole 12 basket. Think about how blessed we are to be able to climb a mountain, think about Howie and how he maintains this gem for us. Hole 14, you get to throw from a large boulder on the side of the hill, to another boulder on the side of a hill with a basket on it!! Hole 15 is the top of the holler, check out the cave hangouts over the next few holes:) The 5 new holes after 15 are a nice additions, and super cool. I have played over 100 courses, and there are shots at holler that I don't get to throw anywhere else. Hole a beat up putter with a lil anhyzer, and watch it sail down a perfect pipe....but be careful...5 feet past the basket is another valley that you could keep sailing down:) Hole 17 is my better be able to throw a roc or mako on a straight 315' straight rope, or else you will be about 100' feet down in the bottom of the ravine. Hole 18 is a great finishing hole featuring an elevated basket on a downhill slope with OB behind it. Then you get to sit by the lake, catch your breath (literally), and probably talk with Howie about how much fun you just had. There are NO unknown elements, you just have to be aware, and play smart. There are benches and good signage on every hole, plenty of cool hangout spots....very quiet, and peaceful. Playing this course will make you a better golfer, and a better person if you let it.
Cons: My con would be for beginners that might get frustrated, but Howie was nice enough to add AM pads for some of the holes. If I had to pick another con, it would be the teepads. I guess the tics are a con, but the course is in a holler, what do you expect? I rate this course a 5.5, so I will knock it down to 5 to be fair:) PS: Give it a few days after a big rain, THIS IS A KY HOLLER:), it does hold water in the bottoms where the first 4 holes are located.
Other Thoughts: Thanks Howie Baird!! I know how much work you put in out there. Yes, your disc might roll off the side of the mountain, or you might have to go for a swim, but a day on the holler is good for the soul. It literally humbles me in more ways than one while I'm there. Thank you!!

one of the best courses ever made

5+    10/20/2012   10/22/2012
Review By: MikusRighteous
Pros: Layout of each hole is sweet. He just added in some new holes which go along with the course very well. The scenery is phenomenal, near mammoth cave national park. Takes very skilled shots to reach the basket. Definitely a course to improve your game.
Cons: Other than some of the teepads being rubber, not that it bothers me any, there's nothing else that i could see being a factor.
Other Thoughts: Very much a course to put in your "bucket" list

Yeeee Haaawww!

1    9/4/2012   9/4/2012
Review By: xrayskid
Pros: Amazing use of space on a beautiful mountainside location. Very imaginative tee and pin placements. I was really Jonesing to play this course and it absolutely lived up to the hype.
Cons: The main drawbacks to the course are the very short tees and the fact that the design tremendously favors right handed golfers. I believe there were only 2 holes that faded to the right.

Very Unique

1    6/15/2012   7/18/2012
Review By: Disc Golf Dave
Pros: What an amazing disc golf course. This course has some of the most unique and fun hole locations I have ever played. It is an odyssey to play and an experience you will never forget. Each hole is unique, many times exceptionally so.

I love the rustic feel for the course. The different tees, baskets and other course cosmetics give this course a real feel of home. It has the perfect mojo for a vacation kind of vibe.
Cons: The amount of vertical to some of the holes is at times a little overwhelming. I think my disc is still flying down the hill on one of the holes. But what fun. I donate it to whoever in the next county found it.
Other Thoughts: Another great Kentucky disc golf course. The views are beautiful. All in all a great experience.

1    7/17/2012   7/17/2012
Review By: smithwb
Pros: The course had some very well designed holes. Number 3 required 2 very good shots to cover the 740ft. Number 8 made a hole under 250ft about as hard as you can without taking away the lines. Number 17 was a pretty throw that required no margin for error while throwing from one top of a hill to the other. There was a lot of very creative design that made this course different than any other that I've played. Also the aesthetics were amazing. It's hard to see a cooler hole than number 15 with the basket hidden back in the right angle of a rock cliff.
Cons: Tee pads. Plain and simple. The majority of tee pads are rubber pads, some of them are uneven which causes problems in your footwork as you're throwing, a lot of them are probably typical length (although I didn't measure them), but there are a few that are very short and most of the long ones have no room to start your tee shot from behind the pad due to a drop off. There had been a good rain before we got there and after we played I would tell anyone not to go after a rain storm. It killed the tee pads, leaving puddles and making them slippery, and it made the course very muddy.
Other Thoughts: I had been looking for a chance to play this course for a while and after the fact I was a little disappointed. I will say that Howie did a good job given the materials that he used. It is well designed. But the tee pads took away so much from it. Playing after the rain definitely didn't help, so if you are planning a trip to play here, check the weather!

Just freaking fun!

1    7/14/2012   7/14/2012
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: As with many great courses the key to Holler in the Hills is an unbelievably perfect piece of land. And luckily for us the designer knew what to do with it.

18 holes with good baskets and signs. Teepads vary, but all were flat and very usable. There were fly pads, concrete and carpets.

Variety, variety, variety. There are hole lengths from 150' all the way to 740'. There are some straight shots, some lefts and rights. And oh yeah, there are some ups and downs. You will use every shot you have here.

There is also great variety in hole difficulty. There are some ace runs, very makeable birdies and some that you breathe a deep sigh if you can just make par. I like that it doesn't kick you in the ribs at every hole.

Excellent basket positions. Few holes have simple greens. This course has slopes, creeks, hills, ravines and rocks all over the place. Even seemingly routine holes are made tougher by clever basket positions. Even on some of the straightforward holes there is risk waiting for you. Simply well done.

Scorecards and a great summary of each hole at hole 1. I've never seen this before, but for a player seeing a course for the first time it is brilliant. Each hole is described and all OB and questions are explained. Very nice touch with everything going on at this course.

Cons: Not much without getting picky.

Carpet Teepads were quite swampy. But it has rained every day in the area for a week or so. Minor issue, but an upgrade could be made.

No open air huge bomb holes. Even the 740' forces you to hit your lines. Didn't bother me, but if you want long open fairways, Holler is not for you.
Other Thoughts: Wow, great course. I really enjoy the technical hilly courses I have played. Put this course in the same class as courses like Sugaree in NC, Devens in MA and Hyzer Creek in NY. Just fun hilly, or mountainous courses with great technical lines, risky basket positions and great design.

I won't detail every hole, but there is a 315 shot across a ravine, a shot from the top of a boulder to a basket on top on another boulder, shots with OB creek along the side, and many baskets near big hills and slopes leading to trouble. Heck, there is even a 270' shot over a pond. Too many fun shots to pick a favorite but #12 plays up a hill to a basket on a large boulder. For the NC people it is like a reverse Brackett's Bluff boulder hole. Up to get there instead of down. Pretty cool. The front nine at Holler is very solid, but the back nine is where things really get fun. If you are ever near this course, it is a must play with a host that welcomes everyone to his property. Make sure you remember to fill the donation box on hole 5. A treasure like this needs to be maintained.

Holla Rocks!

1    3/29/2012   5/11/2012
Review By: AcesandChains
Pros: Terrain. The first three holes play along a small river, both picturesque, and risk/reward rich. Holes 9-18 play up and down the mountainside. Basket placement is extremely interesting, with many of them on top of rock formations. Risk/reward is high, with the slope of the mountain in play. I thought I had a moment with God up there on hole 15. Sat at 16's tee pad for about 45 minutes. I just didn't want to leave. But, finally, the promise of 16's awesome long downhill anny shot thru a tight technical "airway" got me up and throwing again. 17 is a long shot over a deep ravine with a creek at the bottom. Ah, another respit on the small bridge that crosses the creek. The sounds of the moving water, combined with the awesome experience that is Holler had me more relaxed than I've been in a long long time. 18 is another long downhill hole, making for the perfect finish to a nearly perfect course.
Cons: Considering the overall experience, I wasn't that impressed with holes 4-8. Yes, they are good holes, and would fit right in on any other quality course. But Holler is so over the top awesome on the rest of the holes that these 5 holes did not shine so brightly in comparison. And, I wasn't a big fan of the bus. So, even though these holes are good, they're not as good as the rest of the course. But I'm really being nit-picky here, and I didn't see any reason to lower my rating based on those 5 holes. The overall experience is better than I've had at any other course, including Flip City (which is a close second to Holla!)
Other Thoughts: I couldn't figure out if Howie is a genius, or if he put the donation box on the last hole just because it's closer to his house. But, it's the perfect spot. Who could walk by the donation box without contributing after an experience like that? Howie got a $20 from me, and I was glad to give it. Thanks Howie for allowing me to share in your paradise, if only for a short time.

I wish I could play here every day. But I live almsot 400 miles away. Don't miss "Holla" if you pass thru the BG area!

Holla is amazing

1    4/1/2012   4/8/2012
Review By: Dan Oakley
Pros: This course has it all. A great combination of hyser/anhyser shots and long and some tight fairways. The elevation changes are awesome. The teepads were nice and the baskets were also nice.
Cons: none
Other Thoughts: The course is the most fun/demanding course I have played in a while. If you happen to be off line you could really get punished with almost every hole playing on some kind of slope or hill.