Brownsville, KY
3 / --   3 / --   3 / 210ft.   3 / 210ft. Par / Distance:

Epic Course!

5+    9/12/2009   9/14/2009
Review By: sheilabgky
Pros: This is by far the best course in the area. Phenomenal Kentucky Landscape all over the course. Extremely challenging holes over a great hike up and down the hill. I am a low rated am and this course is a challenge I welcome!! There are holes on this course like no other around!
Don't miss this one!!!

Top notch private course!!

2-4    8/8/2009   8/21/2009
Review By: jgentry
Pros: The best thing about this course are there are no bad holes. I liked every hole on this course and thought they were all well designed. The course has a great mix of shot from short, long, left, right, and some really unique ones. howie really used the landscape to make some truely unique holes that you will not see elsewhere. One hole you are throwing uphill to a basket on a boulder. One hole you are throwing from a boulder to another basket on a boulder. I really enjoyed holes #1, #3, #8, #9, #11, #14, #15, #18. Water come into play on several holes. 3 holes us the creek and 2 holes have a pond in play. The course has some huge elevation changes which make for some tough uphill throws and some great views. The course is private and is only for disc golf so you don't have to deal with park traffic. The course is not really very long but the use of extremely tough greens make scoring tough. It is extremely easy to be going for a shortish 2 and end up making a 4. The greens can be brutally tough but thats what makes the course in my opinion.
Cons: I only have 3 cons.

-Some of the teepads were short for me and I stuggled getting comfortable on them. #9's padd needs some rubber or something grippy put on it. It is just wood at the moment and would be really slick if wet.

-The baskets are less then desirable. The catch fine but some are a little wabbly and are anything but confidence building. Howie told us they would be upgraded when the funding is raised. These things cost lots of money and take time

-poison ivy!!! The wooded holes are covered with it but that is what you get in the hills of KY in the summer. Nothing that can really be done about it.
Other Thoughts: You can tell that a ton of work has been put into this course. If definately still has some improvements that need to be made but the course design is unreal. The toughest greens around and a blast to play. The walking can be brutal so be prepaired for some serious hiking. I think in time this will be one of the best course around. These things take time and money though. With only $5 a day to play it is well worth taking the drive to play it.

Mammoth of a Kentucky Jewel

2-4    8/8/2009   8/10/2009
Review By: oxalate
Pros: In just a few years Howie has spent an unbelievable amount of time and effort with this course. His use of the natural land features is awesome as most holes have elevation changes and he utilized rock formations when possible. The tricky greens require accurate approaches and just enough water OB to keep things interesting. Nice wood steps have been built to create safer walking conditions in the woods.
Cons: While I don't consider the baskets to be a big deal as they caught just fine - I would still say that an upgrade in time would be one aspect to be addressed. I think that areas in the woods that get a lot of foot traffic will be issues during wet weather - sturdy boots/shoes with good traction is a requirement.
Other Thoughts: Having my own private course makes me appreciate the amount of work that Howie has already done and continues to do just to keep the current course maintained. I also know that this course is constantly being improved and will continue as time and money permits. I greatly look forward to returning in future years to see Howie's improvements.

Howie, thank you very much for the hospitality and letting us camp. We all really enjoyed your course. When you find your way back up in IN, don't hesitate to contact us and we will do our best to reciprocate.

Comparisons to Flip City - this course is not there yet, but Bill has been working a lot longer on Flip. As this course evolves over time and breaks-in, it will certainly rival Bill McKenzie's Flip City for quality and aesthetics in a disc golf course.

Continued greatness

1    7/3/2009   7/21/2009
Review By: gusc2375
Pros: Location: It is set on private land that uses all of the natural features to the max. The shot from the boulder to boulder is unreal. The first three holes are bordered by a large creek that does come into play. Shot selection on these holes is critical. This course uses a good balance of distances, with Am pads for the long ones. There is also a small pond that comes into play on hole five and if you're not careful can be a factor on 18.The shot from six around the bus is just wild there easily could have been just a line of trees there but no Howie chose to use a bus, how unique is that. The elevations, along with the blind tee shots really increase the difficulty of this course. As you get to seventeen you are now crossing a large ravine. I could go on about each hole awhile, but you don't want to read my rambling.
Cons: The same as most have pointed out the baskets could and I feel will be upgraded. The tees could be better do they affect the game yes but shouldn't they. I mean every tee is different on ever course, are these the worst ever not even close. They aren't a breaking point for me.
Other Thoughts: This is the best course I have ever had the pleaser to play. If you are anywhere near this course, make a way to play it. I am not a par golfer but I still had fun. This course is difficult some lines are tight some a little forgiving others just make it or miss it. I look forward to the continued work by Howie to make this course better. What other course has a web site that list found disc. Truly a five disc course.

Challenging but fair and a great course!

1    7/19/2009   7/21/2009
Review By: ambroze
This review was updated on 8/4/2010
Pros: Very challenging course with a lot of different shots. This course has very good flow to it and pretty easy to navigate. Great work by Howard!!
Cons: Very unforgiving if you get off of the fairways. This course is way out there deep into the woods with a lot of junk (school bus) around.
Other Thoughts: Hands down that #17 is one of the coolest holes I've ever played! This course is nothing like your typical "park" course.

Hidden Perfection

2-4    5/23/2009   7/14/2009
Review By: hokey1
Pros: Unique, challenging layout that brings water and or elevation into play on almost every hole. Proof that you do not need a bunch of 800 foot holes to make a great pro level course.
Cons: It will be very hard on beginning players. Also very hard if you have problems dealing with elevation changes.
Other Thoughts: After thinking a while about the course I think that this might be one oft the best examples of a risk reward course. On many holes a missed putt could cost you more than one stroke. Course management is key to good scores.

Disc's Delight

1    7/3/2009   7/13/2009
Review By: caney44
Pros: I just don't see how he doe's it. For the quality of this course you would think it would be at a fancy country club or something. The layout is great with the signs posting everything you need to know. Also has a great easy flow from chains to the next tee. The fairways and everything else is mowed and taken care of. It has so much variaty you can't really get comfortable with just one type of trow like I've seen at most courses. You are always having to adapt from basket to basket, which is the best part about the game, the challange. It is very beautiful place to play, and I just want to thank the guy who made it and takes care of it cause it is the best, and probly the best I'll ever play. Thanks for the course man.
Cons: The only thing I can think of is on one of the tee boxs is, (don' remember what tee off it is) It is a built little deck about 4 feet off the ground and I was scared I would fall off of it in the middle of my rotation. If a little guard rail was up, That would be awesome, of maybe make the platform a little wider.
Other Thoughts: I'm just glad I live pretty close to the course cause if I lived out of state, the gas money would kill me just to go play this course. Cause I would be going back all the time. Thanks again for a kick ass course.

Huge Props to Howie!!!

1    7/3/2009   7/9/2009
Review By: bdamcat
Pros: Excellent layout and extremely unique with acres of beautiful land. Parking lot right where you tee off on hole1. Camping is also available. Howie had a bucket with course maps for first time players. Not to mention fishing poles, disc retrievers, and a boat around the pond to get your disc if it goes in the water. The fairways were clearly defined and mowed with some fairways divided with rope which was OB.. The tee signs were great with the yardages, par, and OB's clearly labeled. The course is very different from the BG course's but I say this in a good way. With this being on private property it has a totally different feel from the "city" courses. Clear paths to the next holes which made for easy navigating.
Cons: The only knock I can give this course is the baskets and tee pads, which everyone else has mentioned. But these things come with time and money. But the thing with the tee pads is that you really can't have nice big concrete pads on most of the holes because of the angle, height, or placement of the pads. Honestly how are you suppost to have concrete tee pad on a boulder that is 8-9 feet in the air? Same thing relates to the baskets. How and why would you permanently mount a basket on a rock? Yeah it would be nice to have Innova Sport baskets on every hole but that's like 200 bucks a piece. And when he only charges $5.00 a person per day to play how you going to fund that. He probably barely makes enough money to pay for the gas to cut the grass. Sorry going a little off course....... Anyway there's not really a "bad" thing to complain about.
Other Thoughts: In ending I just want to personally thank Howie for a kick @$$ course. I for one really appreciate the work and time that he has put in there to make it a "one of a kind course" and look forward to going back as soon as possible. And with time this course will be at the top of the review list with Idlewild and Whistler's Bend when more and more people get the privledge of playing a round here.

5+    5/30/2009   7/8/2009
Review By: Goatman
This review was updated on 3/8/2011
Pros: Well defined fairways that will challenge all levels of players. Lots of elevation change and tricky pin placements. Water hazards on several holes. Beautiful course with amazing views. Baskets perched on boulders making true "up" shots.
Cons: Tics are the only thing I can think of.

Favorite course in KY

2-4    7/3/2009   7/7/2009
Review By: g1iguy
Pros: Private property so it is disc golf only. No walkers, joggers, bikes, or random picnickers. Course has everything. Long short, par 3, 4, and 5. Lots of elevation, flat holes, a river that comes in to play and a pond. All of the fairways are real fairways not trees in the middle. All of the distances are good distances no tweener holes. Amazing greens on several holes with baskets on boulders and with risk reward pins. This course will reward skilled smart players and absolutely punish bad play. This is a must play!
Cons: Maybe some of the tee pads are a little small and the baskets are original DGA mach lights. However both rounds that I have played out there with my groups I have yet to see a spit out.
Other Thoughts: If this is your first time don't be afraid to walk up and see where the hole goes. It is not wise to just throw and assume you know were the hole is. You may end up losing your disc or looking for awhile.