Brownsville, KY

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Breath taking course.

2-4    4/25/2015   5/27/2015
Review By: parbuster54
Pros: Beautiful golf holes. The holes up among the cliffs are breath taking. Fun throws and challenging throws. Well maintained. Good signs and tee pads. A great test of anyones game.
Cons: So hilly it is not for everybody. If you are not in fair shape you better not try it. Very little con to this course.
Other Thoughts: This course is like a drug. It physicaly punishes you to play it but you love it so much you keep coming back. Howie does a great job of keeping it in great shape. This is a must play course.

Holy Holler Batman...

2-4    1/17/2015   1/17/2015
Review By: dad_of_dg_junkies
This review was updated on 5/24/2015
Pros: 1) The course sits on private property and it was very well kept.
2)The tee pad were very grippy. We even played in a small amount of snow in the morning round.
3) The course has a very good mix of flat and VERY hilly holes.
4)The best thing that I can say about this course is that I never felt forced to play a certain shot. Sure there are some tight holes but I seemed to have options on every one.
5) Holes 14-18 were the most enjoyable closing holes that I can remember.
6) The pin placements are a big pro on this course. Some are raised, some have steep fall-offs, You almost never have a putt that you can just run. (Risk/Reward)
7) The course does an outstanding job of using the natural terrain to create a masterpiece.
The use of elevation creates some really nice holes. I have looked at the pictures on here, but trust me when I tell you that that real thing is MUCH steeper than it looks.
8) This is a pay for play course and we saw the donation box on hole 5. The standard donation I believe is $5. That is a steal.
9) Navigation on this course isn't a problem at all. The course flows very well and there are next tee signs in the locations that aren't obvious.
10) There is course information (including OB's) as you head to the 1st tee from the parking lot.
11) This course isn't an easy walk. It has lots of cross slopes and some very steep hills to walk up and down.
I will say that the owner has done very well at providing some help to get up and down. He is to be commended for this. I GREATLY appreciated it.
12) Every place has a signature hole. I choose #3, #9, #14, #15 and #17. Seriously they are that good.
13) Don't forget to play the letter holes. They are a little more gentle than the numbered holes. Lots of deuces are possible, while still be very pleasing to the eye!
Cons: I had a lack of tee sign here... New tee sign were up on my trip to this course in May 2015

Other Thoughts: I have now played 2 private courses, (Harmon Hills being the other) and they have a different vibe to them. I can't express the what a great time we had at Holler in the Hills. You will need to sign a waiver to play since it is on private property but it was not big deal. Bring something to hydrate and be prepared for some high quality disc golf. Don't expect to race around this place. It does take some time to play this place. This course goes right near the TOP of my list. Make the trip... You won't regret it.

Wow.

1    10/24/2014   10/25/2014
Review By: Topper_34_1
Pros: I played Holler for the first time yesterday and all I could say was, "Wow." There are many signature shots on this course but it is not for the faint of heart. When I was driving to the course I saw a sign a mile from the course that said that Mammoth Cave National Park was 5 miles away and you could really tell you were in cave country with some of the holes. I haven't seen many people comment on the "extra holes" (a-e), but I thought they were some of the most fun and challenging shots on the course. This was the first pay-to-play course I have ever been to, and I definitely feel like $5 was a reasonable donation for a course of this caliber.
Cons: This course, as other people have said is definitely in a holler as the name suggests. I tried to play the course in under an hour in a half and I regret that. There are huge elevation changes which may be hard on someone if they are out of shape (like I am.) I don't think the tee pads were as much of a con as some of the tee signs were. Since I was playing the course for the first time I was trusting the tee signs for the blind tee shots. There were a few tee signs that didn't show the exact direction and that caused a few shots that I thought were parked by the tee sign, but come to find out were 50 ft. to the right of the basket.
Other Thoughts: Definitely a must play in the BG area. It was nice to get away from the same courses I play in BG. I will definitely go back to Holler. Howie is great, and I got to talk to some of his family who were on the course working. Thanks for a great experience Howie!

Holler in the Hills

1    7/7/2014   7/9/2014
Review By: The Abacus
Pros: The Pros of playing this course are too many to list but here are a few:
1) This course has some of the neatest holes I've ever played. Sick basket placements and views.
2) It only cost 5 BUCKS! I honestly felt like I had ripped them off.
3) The folks that run and apparently maintain the course are super friendly and have done some really amazing things. I mean, they've put concrete tee pads on a mountain! Cmon!
4) I'm not sure how often this happens and it could have been because we played it on a Monday, but we had the whole course to ourselves and couldn't resist taking multiple shots from some of the more amazing tee pads.
5) There are FIVE bonus holes that are probably the coolest holes on the course!
6) there are many holes that could be aced and we're talking about holes where you throw from an elevated tee pad at a basket sitting on too of a boulder type holes!
7) I could go on and on about each neat thing about playing this course but I'd rather dare you to go play it yourself. That's right, I DARE you. It's well worth it.
Cons: Not too many cons but I do have some advice: you'll need twice as much hydration as you think you'll need and you're going to have to carry it on you. You won't reach your vehicle again until you've shot the final hole. Also, be ready to climb some hills. This course plays around a lot of steep areas. Last, you may not have phone service and you need to allot a good portion of your day. The course takes time.
Other Thoughts: My final thoughts on Holler in the Hills: go play it and take a camera! It's SO worth it!

More than a Course, An Experience

1    7/7/2014   7/9/2014
Review By: HarvatronB
Pros: (1) Out of the 23 holes we played, I'd describe 12-15 of them as absolute jaw-droppers. Unbelievable pin placements on top of boulders; tee pads situated in the mouths of open caves. It's like an amusement park for disc golfers. It's more than a course; it's a destination.

(2) The course was well maintained. Grass was cut and weeds were trimmed.

(3) Course owner and his family were more than hospitable. We first ran into them on the second tee (they were doing some grounds keeping work), and they could not have been more friendly and welcoming. Once we made it to 18's tee (which is basically in their front yard), they all came out to chat and ask about our thoughts as first-timers at Holler In The Hills. Super cool people.

(4) It's only $5 to play this incredible course. After I'd finished my round, I felt like this was a heck of a bargain. It's well worth the price of admission.
Cons: I'm hesitant to call this a con, because the name of the course is Holler In The Hills after all, but give yourself plenty of time and/or make sure you're in good shape before you try to tackle this course. I cannot emphasize enough how steep it can get -- after Hole 9, it felt like virtually every hole was uphill.
Other Thoughts: As a Nashville-area disc golfer, Holler In The Hills is one of those courses you hear about over and over again. Earlier this week, some friends and I made the 1.5-hour drive to Brownsville and -- after playing 18 + 5 bonus holes -- I don't know why we waited so long. I've seen Holler In The Hills referred to as a "bucket list" course, and I could not agree more. If you live within 200 miles, go. Just go. It will be more than worth it. If it's warm outside, be sure to bring about twice as much water as you think you'll need. Once you leave the parking lot, you won't see your car again until you've finished the course. There's no opportunity to stop and re-up on beverages. Also, be sure to mark your discs. We felt very fortunate to make it through an entire round without leaving a disc behind -- I would imagine this is a rarity. Luckily, the course owners seem rather committed to making sure lost discs are reunited with their rightful owners.

Epic Disc Golf

1    2/12/2014   4/12/2014
Review By: SimonCarr
Pros: The drive is worth it.

Great elevation change on this course - its a real hike, but totally worth it. The course makes use of a lot of natural hazards (creek, pond, streams, rock walls, school bus). Every shot is interesting.

This is one of the top places I've played at just because its so unique. Near the top of the holler - the throw from on top of a boulder is perfectly setup. Maybe my favorite was #17 throwing back across the holler. Epic disc golf shot.

Not a course for someone wanting to knock out a round quickly - but if you are making a day trip, this is a very worthy choice!

I have to rate it a 5. It has some minor flaws, which are forgivable - playing this one again when I can get the time.
Cons: It is not closer to Nashville.
Other Thoughts: Get your birdies on the first 6 before going up the hill!

5+    10/18/2013   10/21/2013
Review By: DavidHood
Pros: Howie is the epitome of hospitality. He does a good job manicuring the course and a great job of making you feel welcome.
The "bonus" five holes are quality! The rock formations around Mammoth Cave make for great disc golf target placement.
Cons: Tee pads are slippery when wet. Might I suggest FiveTen (they specialize in climbing shoes) Stealth rubber soles? It rained the last time we played and my friends with Vibram rubber soles were complaining (they were sliding all over the place) about the slick tee pads. I felt much more sure footed in my FiveTen shoes. In Howie's defense, we all agreed that concrete pads would be overkill (and hard to relocate) and the rubber mats were the best option.
Other Thoughts: Lots of elevation. Two rounds on this course never fails to remind me that disc golf at this level is a young man's game.

Love this course

2-4    10/12/2013   10/12/2013
Review By: Declarkus
Pros: Fun -- I know everybody says this, but this course has unique holes that keep you loving it the whole way through, Challenging but fair. Good flow, well maintained, benches and brooms at a bunch of holes, plenty of shade.
Cons: Lots of elevation so not for the fat. Some of the tee boxes have this black rubber stuff thats scary slippery when wet. No signage on A-E (I know, its picky)
Other Thoughts: This is my favorite course. I live in Nashville, and I have now made 3 trips up there in the last 3 months. I love the variety, challenge, and relaxing escape from the crowds.

Fun ..Fun..Fun even for the rec disc golfer

1    9/14/2013   9/14/2013
Review By: robthky
Pros: This is the absolute funnest course i have played in SWC KY. Most challenging course near BGKY.

Read the provided "Tips Sheet"
Cons: None. Read the tips and FOLLOW THE TIPS! I did not and slipped and lost a disc on the "Pond Shot"
:-)
Other Thoughts: FOLLOW THE TIPS! Seriously, follow the tips on the advice sheet provided on the info board.

Fun, fun, frustrating, and fun!

2-4    6/30/2013   6/30/2013
Review By: RollingStone
This review was updated on 7/22/2014
Pros: All basics are covered here. Parking, good tees, etc. Bonus items include significant elevation and water coming into play occasionally.

Every hole will challenge you to bring your "A" game. There are easier holes, but no truly easy holes on this course. Teebird
Cons: Non-matching teepads. While all pads are in good condition due to the phenomenal maintenance done at this course, some picky people may be thrown off by throwing from different surfaces.

This course could be off-putting to newer players. It seems like a set of short tees would be do-able in order to cater to a wider audience.
Other Thoughts: As you can see from my cons, I really had to get nitpicky to find anything to pick on about Holler. This is a course that will challenge you, and therefore it's not a course to bring anything but the discs you have complete and utter confidence in. This seems self-explanatory to older players, but might not be to everyone.

Regardless, the natural beauty of the land Holler is on, and the designer's vision in using that land are among the best I've ever played on. Even though my first round was absolutely brutal, I enjoyed my time as the scenery was worth playing slow and taking in. I will be back in Bowling Green the week after the 4th, and can't wait to get back out to the Holler.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8