Brownsville, KY
Holler In The Hills Share

1    9/6/2010   9/6/2010
Review By: Ripper
This review was updated on 9/12/2010
Pros: This course has a few remarkable holes like 17, and 18 is a great finishing hole. The baskets were brand new Innova Disc Catchers, and they were on some pretty neat looking rock structures. Hole 17 was one of the coolest holes I've ever played by far. Pretty much 14 - 18 were great holes and memorable holes, that I think were aesthetically pleasing and very fun. Plus, love hiking so it actually really worked to that also.
Cons: The course will also wear you out as you truck up and down hills.
Other Thoughts: Originally the course was kind of spartan too me and really should have waited till I gave a review. Want to play it again just for the fact that I played it with next to no sleep, after a looooong drive. The people were great and even went into bushes whenever we got a disc stuck in the deep, and all and all great people. Glad that they have opened up there property to Disc Golfers and i'm revising my review as I think it was more of my tiredness and crankiness. The course has some of the funnest holes I've ever played and had a smile on my face the entire day. Loved 17 when we yardsaled our bag and the discs just seem to fall forever. The course was fun and not going to stack up against a nice cut grass, and landscaped course but in terms of fun I will give it a high score!

Like 5 rounds with Mike Tyson

1    8/29/2010   8/30/2010
Review By: peabody
Pros: Scenery by far. You are in the Green River Basin and the feeder creek runs through the property and makes for a tough out of bounds on a few of the holes. Well marked fairways and enough open shots to keep you interested in what is around the corner.
What looks easy is really tough. You don't need a big arm here but you have to have accuracy. If you can throw straight for 300 feet then you will love this place. #3 using the long pro tee is a true par 5 with lots of OB and a dangerous green with that creek within spittin' distance.
#14 and #15 are up around those cool rock formations.
#16 is a great downhill with a slight right turn. #17 is my favorite hole here. Straight across a very deep revine. If the disc fades, you are going to end up way way left. And getting back up that hill on the other side is tough.
Cons: Uneven tees. They really need some concrete teepads. The mowing wasn't done when we were there and that made it tough on a couple of holes. The road can be hard to find but if you use the directions posted here on DGCR you shouldn't have any trouble finding it.
Other Thoughts: Brand new Disccatchers and throwing up and over boulders at them is really fun.
This is a fun course but it will beat you up. We played two rounds and all three of us were dog tired. Be prepared for some sore muscles.

Very cool course but...

1    8/26/2010   8/26/2010
Review By: slammin'chains
Pros: This course is really laid out well and it is nice to see that the owner is so "into" the creativity of the layout! The last 6 or 7 holes are worth every mile that we drove to go play!! 14 and 15 are two of the most scenic holes that I've played, plus... the guy that owns the land designed it and placed all the tees and baskets so that goes a long way in my book! I really liked it because it was challenging and you were punished for bad shots...
Cons: After going to the website AND looking at all the reviews and pictures, I was disappointed that it has become so "rundown!" I was expecting the course to look like the pics, and it doesn't. There are lots of broken steps, teepads, and signs. I know that the land owner takes care of the course and probably gets too busy sometimes, but... maybe it will look better for the tourney!
Other Thoughts: Several holes are SUPER fun to play and challenging enough to make it worth playing over and over again. I hope it gets cleaned up for some "fall" action this year and I hope I get in better shape for the next time I play!!!

Course is good...but not that good

1    7/6/2010   7/30/2010
Review By: Lead pipe
Pros: For being on private property the course is very well maintained. Pin placements on top of the rocks are wonderful!!! The guy who owns this course did a great job with the property that he had to work with. Hole 3 provides the most difficult challenge on the course and could easily eat your lunch. Some of the holes are beautiful for sure... Different from anything I've ever played.
Cons: Starts good and then has a weird flow. The walk is tough but you are in the hills.... Some tee boxes are a little crazy, but shouldn't be a hill for a stepper.
Other Thoughts: I think the course is over rated. My cousin and I were driving from the am world championships when we played the course. The day before we played Idlewild which is truly a five star course. We drove here to play because of the ratings people had given and would have to say that it is more than just a half star off of a five star rating sooooooo... 3.5..... Yeah, Peace

Outstanding

2-4    7/25/2010   7/25/2010
Review By: jobwilson
This review was updated on 10/13/2011
Pros: -A wide variety of beautiful, memorable holes.
The first three holes run alongside a creek. Hole 5 plays over a pond. Hole 9 is an extreme uphill shot that has no mercy on either side. Hole 12 goes up a hill with a couple of well placed tree. When you get to the top, you have to putt onto a boulder. Hole 14 is another boulder hole. You tee off from a boulder onto another boulder. Hole 15 is a sharp left to right hole with the basket nestled against a large limestone bluff. This is an absolutely beautiful and challenging hole. Hole 16 is a huge down hill throw with the basket just a bit to the right.
-Extremely friendly property owners that go way out of their way to make sure things go right. Glen is extremely helpful and pulled quite a few discs out of the water for us. If he pulls one out for you, make sure you tip him. He deserves it!
Cons: Some of the teepads leave a bit to be desired, but this course is ran by an individual and not a parks department. The amount of work that has gone into this course is amazing.
Other Thoughts: We played two rounds. First round from the Ams and second from the Pros. If you haven't played this course, it is an absolute must.

Still Recovering

1    9/10/2009   7/12/2010
Review By: puttinhutton
Pros: This course has some of the most memorable and unique holes I have ever played. Topo plays a major part in this course. It is beautiful and isolated. I was all alone the day I played and had a very enjoyable outing.
Cons: The topo plays a bit too much of a factor on quite a number of the holes. Almost too difficult to walk for these 59 year old legs.

Giddy

1    5/29/2010   7/6/2010
Review By: Fred Salaz
Pros: I drove 7 hours to get here just so I could get a round in before the "Holler in the Hills" tournament. It was worth the drive. It has the fun factor that Idlewild doesn't for some people. Hole #14, 15, 17 are memorable holes. Teeing off on a huge rock to another huge rock was fun and unique. The tee pad was even concreted in. Howie has done a great job with this place and you can see that if you get a chance to play it. I've been around a long time and I really felt giddy when I drove up to the parking lot to play this course. IT did not disappoint. It was fun, even dave 243 would like it.
Cons: #3 could use a better landing area off the tee. It's not enough of a deterrent to change my rating. I'm just saying.
Other Thoughts: Howie, keep up the great work.
Sorry for the short review but I wrote a longer one and lost it because I took too long and didn't realize it and lost it.

Best Course Around BG

5+    3/27/2011   7/5/2010
Review By: weeman
This review was updated on 1/24/2012
Pros: Where to start? The general layout of the course uses seemingly every inch of Howie's land and it doesn't disappoint. Subtle to extreme elevation changes can be encountered on every hole. The baskets are strategically placed for high risk/reward putting situations. The fairways are well defined with several groves of trees that must be gone through or around making you concentrate on every shot. Out of bounds are well defined and listed on almost every tee sign. Each tee sign provides a description of the hole, which is very helpful, as quite a few of the baskets are hidden. There are several wooden stair cases throughout the course that help traversing the elevation. Also spread around are steps cut in the hillside and a few benches on which to rest. Playing this course required me personally to use almost every type of shot in my arsenal to shoot well.

For anyone contemplating skipping this course to only go play in Bowling Green, DON'T and be sure to make a stop at Holler. Five dollars isn't much considering its all going back into the course. Having grown up in Bowling Green, I know all those courses inside and out and Holler In The Hills provides a better test than any of them.
Cons: The teepads on several of the holes are narrow and do not provide the space for a huge run up. This can be circumvented by utilizing more technical drives off the tee. There are several spots where stairs, a hand rail, or a rope to hang onto could be helpful in going up or down the hills. These safety devices will be installed in the near future but beware, especially if it is wet out.
Other Thoughts: There's a little dog that lives on the property and will gladly accompany your group throughout the round. He won't attempt to run off with your disc but he likes to try to catch them when you throw off the tee. It helps to have an extra person there to distraction him for a moment. Like I said earlier, the cost of playing goes directly back into the course and it will only get better with time and more players going through it. If you are unlucky enough to lose your disc in the water, be sure to have your name and phone number on it. All found discs with name/number on them will be called to be returned and listed on the course website lost-and-found. Be sure to sign a waiver and follow the few rules out at Holler so this course can stay open to the public without restrictions.

Fun Course

2-4    4/11/2010   6/20/2010
Review By: PA Frolfer
This review was updated on 6/21/2010
Pros: Fun course that really reminds me of a combination of a lot of different courses. The elevation is awesome, as is the views and hikes through the woods. While some people would complain that the course is private, I think that adds to the unique nature of the setup. Private courses are becoming more popular and this is a great addition to the community. This course is truly more of a fun course than a challenging course, however, but I wouldn't call the course easy. The course offers a unique layout and design and truly is a very memorable and fun experience.
Cons: Right up front, I will just say that this course is somewhat dangerous. It was also very wet when I played the course and it seems that holes 2 and 3 have fairways that are no more. Uniform baskets would be nice but I can't complain too much. While the course was fun, I didn't find the course that challenging. However, that shouldn't be the only reason people rate a course and that's why I rated the course "excellent."

EDIT: After speaking with the owner I stand corrected on the baskets. The baskets are now uniform at the course and holes 2 and 3 have grown back after the mud situation. With that in mind I have upped my rating to 4.5.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this course is a lot of fun and the owner is truly awesome for bringing this property to the public. While it's not as epic as some of the longer courses in the nation, it certainly offers a fun experience. The course offers a fun experience while still challenging the good disc golfer.

Best Course Around

2-4    6/8/2010   6/16/2010
Review By: iverson1990
Pros: This course is flat out awesome!!! Right when you step down the flight of staris onto 1 tee pad you instantly know this course is something special. Hole 1 is a straight foward hole with far right shots rolling down to the creek. Hole 2 has pro/am tee and is a tricky tee shot from the pro tees but not so much from the am tees unless u spray it right into the creek. Hole 3 is one of the tricky holes on the course, starts off with a pretty difficult drive from either pro or am tee, then only gets harder from there. apporach shots are key to this hole, be very accurate or u will hit trees on left or creek on right. Hole 4 is a easy par hole with a good drive is definately a hole for a birdie. Hole 5 (pro/am tee) is also a neat hole with a pond in play short of basket and is easy birdie hole, just watch out shooting back at the pond if u go long on your drive. Hole 6 (pro/am tee) is a very unique hole, with an old school bus on left and a shed on right, accuracy is key. Hole 7 is a straight medium distance hole, easy par hole and a 350+ drive can make a birdie unless u drive left into o.b. Hole 8 (pro/am tee) mando hole. Hole 9 is a diffult hole to drive with a steep up hill throw and once at the top of the hill the basket is sitting on a rock so dont go long bc you will end up with a steep putt. Hole 10 is a straight drive and a slight left at the end. Hole 11 is a straight elevated drive with basket to the left once at top of the hill. Hole 12 is as well straight up the hill with basket on top of bolder, Great Basket location! Hole 13 is a narrow fairway dog leg left. Hole 14 (optional tee on bolder) is awesome, I love throwing from the elevated tee to a basket on top of a bolder...friend actually aced this hole. Hole 15 is my personal favorite hole, dog leg right, with basket caddy cornered into 50 foot cliff walls, its awesome. Here comes probably the toughest finishing holes in disc golf personally 16 17 18. Hole 16 is straight down hill with a narrow path to the basket, stay away from going long/left of basket or you will be climbing down into a valley. Hole 17 is a very difficult hole with it going straight down hill then straight back up, accuracy and always a little bit of tree love with help you finish this hole. Hole 18 (pro/am tee) is straight down hill, dont throw short and left or you will go in pond, and easy to throw long as well.
I absolutely love taking a little 30 minute drive from bowling green to play this course. The most challenging and yet very fun course to play. You will get everything at Holler, to evevated tees, bakets, up hill down hiss shots, water hazards, wooded holes, open holes, mandos, and man made objects. Holler in the Hills is the best course in Kentucky!
Cons: I say that there really are no cons to this course, but there is always need for imporvemnt at any course in the nation. Course does get muddy when there has been rain previously. Unfortunately the flood has washed away most of holes 2 and 3 fairways grass but it will come back. And as any other wooded course there are bugs so good insect repellant is always handy for your disc golf bag. And this course is not very beginner friendly so dont bring your buddys who arent the best golfers, unless they just want to tag along for some great exercise!
Other Thoughts: Howie, great course! Keep up the Great work, and good luck to anyone who wants to play Holler In The Hills.
Green Fee - well worth it!