Brownsville, KY
Holler In The Hills Share

The Hidden Gem of Kentucky!

2-4    10/25/2009   10/28/2009
Review By: JDinBG
Pros: Holler in the Hills is simply phenomenal. At first glance upon entering the course you will probably say to yourself, "There's no way you could put a course here," but oh are you wrong. HitH's offers an amazing variety of shots ranging from short and technical, to flat out drives, all on some amazing terrain that will really give you a workout. Howie Baird, owner/designer of the course has spent quite some time making this an absolutely terrific course. His use of the hills, woods, creeks, ponds, elevation, and even boulders make this course a challenge for any player, even the 1000+ rated pros. You will definitely receive a workout on this course.
Cons: The baskets are the cheap little In Step's you get on eBay for like $60, and I dont necessarily care for the rubber fly pads, but the course is still new and with proper funding Howie will probably upgrade the baskets and possibly the teepads.
Other Thoughts: Holler in the Hills is the hidden gem of Kentucky. It can be slightly difficult to find, but once you do you are rewarded with one of the most amazing courses you will ever play. You will work hard just to get a par. I hope to continue playing this course for many many years! Thanks Howie!!!

Great Place

1    10/3/2009   10/7/2009
Review By: tacoma38
Pros: Great Course! Lots high risk high reward shots here.Lots of different kinda holes!! One of the best courses in the state!!!
Cons: Kinda hard to find!But really worth the trouble getting here!! Needs better baskets!!
Other Thoughts: Will play again..And you gotta love the dog.copper..he works for treats .the course is worth playin just to see the dog guide you around the course.hes never wrong!

Disc Golf Heaven

2-4    9/3/2009   10/1/2009
Review By: kirvin2
This review was updated on 8/1/2010
Pros: This course is off the beaten path in a very scenic part of Kentucky. Located just outside of Mammoth Cave National Park and situated where a ravine opens up on the side of a deep valley of a creek, it is literally in a hollow or 'holler' and way up one side of the valley. The grounds are well maintained and the owner and his staff are very helpful and friendly. This course is on private land so you don't get the kind of foot traffic you get in a public park. For the most part you can play a round with little distractions at all.

The course has a very creative layout. The holes are generally not very long, but very technical with plenty of Risk/Reward and proper to stiff punishment for making bad throws. Even the longest hole #3 requires more finesse than power. There is a great deal of elevation changes, fairways that border a creek. A good shot across a pond, that isn't so dangerous that it intimidates you to play it safe. Most fairways are tight. A few fairways are surrounded by O.B. zones. There is a good mix of open and wooded fairways. There are baskets on top of boulders and on the edge of drop offs. There is even a hole where the tee is on a boulder and the basket is on another boulder. There's an alternate tee, but you've just got to throw from the boulder. Although this course is very technical, there are amateur tees in-place making some of the riskier holes more beginner friendly. Most of the tees are rubber which I found to be very natural feeling and comfortable under my feet. There are plenty of signs with course info and directions to the next tee and even score cards for your use.
Update: Baskets have been upgraded and placements have been tweaked. Some baskets are now elevated as well.
Cons: I can't think of many cons about this course. What some may consider cons, I consider to be unique attributes. The terrain is very rugged and some people with back or knee problems may find it to be difficult. Some of the hillsides could get treacherous when wet. There are steps in place on some of the steeper climbs. If your shot goes off course, you can easily loose your disc. The baskets are the lighter duty portable type. Most of the baskets have single chains, which have a greater tendency for bounce-outs or blow-throughs, but every body plays with the same baskets. The owner says he will be upgrading the course equipment as funds become available. Update: Baskets have been upgraded to Discatcher Pros and some many pin placements have been tweeked a bit and some baskets are now elevated.
Other Thoughts: I mentioned that the owner and his "staff " were very helpful and friendly. I need to explain this. We were preparing to tee off on a hole near the top of the hill and along comes a younger guy carrying a single disc. I never expected to see a lone golfer with one disc on a private course like this, but I asked him if he wanted to play through. He then held up the disc and asked us which one of us lost it in the creek. This young man waded up to his shoulders in a creek to retrieve my friends disc on a day with highs in the mid 60s and hiked up that steep hillside to return it. He explained that it was part of his job. I couldn't believe it. That is just flat out awesome!

The other member of the "staff" that we met is named Cooper. Cooper is the course guide dog. He is the coolest dog on the planet. He looks to be a cross between a Jack Russell Terrier and a Benji dog. He caught up with us on hole three of our first round and hung with us all day. He caught us a mole to show us he was working for us. He knows the flow of the course and will lead you to the next tee. He will sometimes find your disc for you. Once I had to back-track the previous hole, looking for my pencil and Cooper came to get me, because the other guys were waiting on me. This little guy works for treats, he prefers meat, but will eat chips or peanuts if that's all you've got.

This course should be on every disc golfer's wish list. I gave this course a 4.5 out of 5 because the baskets could be nicer, but it's not really a problem. Other than that, I thought I had died and gone to "Disc Golf Heaven". I wish I lived closer.

Epic Course!

5+    9/12/2009   9/14/2009
Review By: sheilabgky
Pros: This is by far the best course in the area. Phenomenal Kentucky Landscape all over the course. Extremely challenging holes over a great hike up and down the hill. I am a low rated am and this course is a challenge I welcome!! There are holes on this course like no other around!
Don't miss this one!!!

Top notch private course!!

2-4    8/8/2009   8/21/2009
Review By: jgentry
Pros: The best thing about this course are there are no bad holes. I liked every hole on this course and thought they were all well designed. The course has a great mix of shot from short, long, left, right, and some really unique ones. howie really used the landscape to make some truely unique holes that you will not see elsewhere. One hole you are throwing uphill to a basket on a boulder. One hole you are throwing from a boulder to another basket on a boulder. I really enjoyed holes #1, #3, #8, #9, #11, #14, #15, #18. Water come into play on several holes. 3 holes us the creek and 2 holes have a pond in play. The course has some huge elevation changes which make for some tough uphill throws and some great views. The course is private and is only for disc golf so you don't have to deal with park traffic. The course is not really very long but the use of extremely tough greens make scoring tough. It is extremely easy to be going for a shortish 2 and end up making a 4. The greens can be brutally tough but thats what makes the course in my opinion.
Cons: I only have 3 cons.

-Some of the teepads were short for me and I stuggled getting comfortable on them. #9's padd needs some rubber or something grippy put on it. It is just wood at the moment and would be really slick if wet.

-The baskets are less then desirable. The catch fine but some are a little wabbly and are anything but confidence building. Howie told us they would be upgraded when the funding is raised. These things cost lots of money and take time

-poison ivy!!! The wooded holes are covered with it but that is what you get in the hills of KY in the summer. Nothing that can really be done about it.
Other Thoughts: You can tell that a ton of work has been put into this course. If definately still has some improvements that need to be made but the course design is unreal. The toughest greens around and a blast to play. The walking can be brutal so be prepaired for some serious hiking. I think in time this will be one of the best course around. These things take time and money though. With only $5 a day to play it is well worth taking the drive to play it.

Mammoth of a Kentucky Jewel

2-4    8/8/2009   8/10/2009
Review By: oxalate
Pros: In just a few years Howie has spent an unbelievable amount of time and effort with this course. His use of the natural land features is awesome as most holes have elevation changes and he utilized rock formations when possible. The tricky greens require accurate approaches and just enough water OB to keep things interesting. Nice wood steps have been built to create safer walking conditions in the woods.
Cons: While I don't consider the baskets to be a big deal as they caught just fine - I would still say that an upgrade in time would be one aspect to be addressed. I think that areas in the woods that get a lot of foot traffic will be issues during wet weather - sturdy boots/shoes with good traction is a requirement.
Other Thoughts: Having my own private course makes me appreciate the amount of work that Howie has already done and continues to do just to keep the current course maintained. I also know that this course is constantly being improved and will continue as time and money permits. I greatly look forward to returning in future years to see Howie's improvements.

Howie, thank you very much for the hospitality and letting us camp. We all really enjoyed your course. When you find your way back up in IN, don't hesitate to contact us and we will do our best to reciprocate.

Comparisons to Flip City - this course is not there yet, but Bill has been working a lot longer on Flip. As this course evolves over time and breaks-in, it will certainly rival Bill McKenzie's Flip City for quality and aesthetics in a disc golf course.

Continued greatness

1    7/3/2009   7/21/2009
Review By: gusc2375
Pros: Location: It is set on private land that uses all of the natural features to the max. The shot from the boulder to boulder is unreal. The first three holes are bordered by a large creek that does come into play. Shot selection on these holes is critical. This course uses a good balance of distances, with Am pads for the long ones. There is also a small pond that comes into play on hole five and if you're not careful can be a factor on 18.The shot from six around the bus is just wild there easily could have been just a line of trees there but no Howie chose to use a bus, how unique is that. The elevations, along with the blind tee shots really increase the difficulty of this course. As you get to seventeen you are now crossing a large ravine. I could go on about each hole awhile, but you don't want to read my rambling.
Cons: The same as most have pointed out the baskets could and I feel will be upgraded. The tees could be better do they affect the game yes but shouldn't they. I mean every tee is different on ever course, are these the worst ever not even close. They aren't a breaking point for me.
Other Thoughts: This is the best course I have ever had the pleaser to play. If you are anywhere near this course, make a way to play it. I am not a par golfer but I still had fun. This course is difficult some lines are tight some a little forgiving others just make it or miss it. I look forward to the continued work by Howie to make this course better. What other course has a web site that list found disc. Truly a five disc course.

Challenging but fair and a great course!

1    7/19/2009   7/21/2009
Review By: ambroze
This review was updated on 8/4/2010
Pros: Very challenging course with a lot of different shots. This course has very good flow to it and pretty easy to navigate. Great work by Howard!!
Cons: Very unforgiving if you get off of the fairways. This course is way out there deep into the woods with a lot of junk (school bus) around.
Other Thoughts: Hands down that #17 is one of the coolest holes I've ever played! This course is nothing like your typical "park" course.

Hidden Perfection

2-4    5/23/2009   7/14/2009
Review By: hokey1
Pros: Unique, challenging layout that brings water and or elevation into play on almost every hole. Proof that you do not need a bunch of 800 foot holes to make a great pro level course.
Cons: It will be very hard on beginning players. Also very hard if you have problems dealing with elevation changes.
Other Thoughts: After thinking a while about the course I think that this might be one oft the best examples of a risk reward course. On many holes a missed putt could cost you more than one stroke. Course management is key to good scores.

Disc's Delight

1    7/3/2009   7/13/2009
Review By: caney44
Pros: I just don't see how he doe's it. For the quality of this course you would think it would be at a fancy country club or something. The layout is great with the signs posting everything you need to know. Also has a great easy flow from chains to the next tee. The fairways and everything else is mowed and taken care of. It has so much variaty you can't really get comfortable with just one type of trow like I've seen at most courses. You are always having to adapt from basket to basket, which is the best part about the game, the challange. It is very beautiful place to play, and I just want to thank the guy who made it and takes care of it cause it is the best, and probly the best I'll ever play. Thanks for the course man.
Cons: The only thing I can think of is on one of the tee boxs is, (don' remember what tee off it is) It is a built little deck about 4 feet off the ground and I was scared I would fall off of it in the middle of my rotation. If a little guard rail was up, That would be awesome, of maybe make the platform a little wider.
Other Thoughts: I'm just glad I live pretty close to the course cause if I lived out of state, the gas money would kill me just to go play this course. Cause I would be going back all the time. Thanks again for a kick ass course.