Ypsilanti, MI
The Ponds at Lakeshore Share
Uploaded By: cassidymayne Hole #Z
Hole #27 Long Tee

The Ponds is good, but not because it's a good course.

2-4    6/15/2013   7/3/2013
Review By: apparition
This review was updated on 7/5/2013
Pros: + The Throw Shop (+++)
+ Lots of holes!
+ Good baskets and tees
+ Obvious effort to clarify the course layout (decent color coding)
+ Dry even when other courses are horrible
+ Great in the winter
+ Tee signs with distances
+ Not just a city park
+ Preserved "feel" of ball golf (open), but shortened
+ Free but with a gatekeeper (keep out the riff raff!)
Cons: - Pretty wide open, so challenge is minimal
- Without a good map (there isn't one), you'll probably get lost
- There are too many baskets (yes, it's possible!)
- More signage to identify every tee and basket, please
Other Thoughts: The Ponds is very good, but not because it's a great course. The Throw Shop is the main attraction!

The course itself is flat with only a few trees to worry about and there are no defined lines to hit, so you do get to concentrate on accuracy and distance. That aspect of disc golf on its own doesn't do much for me, though. The first time I played the course I felt like there was very little cohesiveness to the layout and I found navigation to be the most challenging and most annoying aspect of this course.

If you don't have a map, you're screwed, so heed this warning and take the map from DGCR. You'll have to pay attention a little more to the direction each tee is pointing to and use the distances on the tee signs. It shouldn't be this difficult, but on my first visit (in the winter when The Throw Shop was closed) we didn't have a map and at some point became bamboozled and just started throwing to whatever basket made sense at the time and walking around for a while. This was due to vandalism. I am very impressed that The Throw Shop owners continue to perfect and add to the course out of their own pockets. The local club that installed the course hasn't done anything to maintain or improve it.

Each basket has rad color-coded wooden arrows zip-tied to the bottom of baskets pointing you in the direction you might want to go in to find a certain tee (this inspired me to do something similar in a tourney I put on last month), but it's still a little difficult to know which tee and basket was which at a distance. The hardware and tee pads are perfect, but I suggest putting color identifiers and numbers directly on the tee pads with maybe an arrow pointing at the basket just to be safe.

Overall, I realize not every course is meant to be championship or tournament style. I don't think anyone ever said this course is supposed to be of that caliber, either. I identify The Ponds as both a practice course and a great beginner's course, with the best experience likely had if you have something new to throw or you're new to throwing. That's my take away point for you if you're reading this wondering about The Ponds. If you're going to the Throw Shop or really want to work on your throw (or both), then you really should play here and it's absolutely worth it.

Thank you for reading!

Long and simple

1    9/12/2012   11/12/2012
Review By: Redmones12
Pros: Long holes a little technical has a lot of potential. It is an old ball golf course you can tell but really its nice you get to play a ball course style of discgolf, not a typical experience a lot of fun and good use of the property, took me a couple of plays to really love this course for what is it, its good not great but an exprience hard to find and they have a pro shop on site so win win.
Cons: Flat it is an old ball golf course. Also kinda hard to get to, feels getto, in a apartment complex a fence around the property not sure if they fence is to prevent the disc getting out or to prevent the people in the neighborhood getting in, i am 90% sure i saw a drug deal there.
Other Thoughts: Rough neighborhood but fun course

1    10/8/2010   3/8/2011
Review By: JN9000
Pros: Long holes are good for big arms.
No rough.
good signs.
Cons: Although this is a very nice course, I thought it was boring at times. There's almost no elevation change, which is something that I really like courses to have. You also can tell that you're in the middle of the city, it's not a very scenic course.
Other Thoughts: This is a very nice course and I see why some people really like it, it is one of my friends favorite course, but like I said in the "Cons" it was just a little boring to me.

2-4    8/12/2010   8/12/2010
Review By: mcphatty
Pros: - Wide open shots. It's hard to lose a disc here (not impossible!).
- One of the best disc golf stores I've been to is on the course. The Throw Shop has great prices and a huge variety.
Cons: - Not in the best area, but I wouldn't say the course is unsafe.
- Lacking trash cans on a lot of holes, so trash just piles up near the tee pads.
- Signage is sub-par, and following the course can be a little confusing for newcomers.
Other Thoughts: The course is a former ball golf course, which makes for a lot of long shots. Plenty of obstacles, yet wide open spaces for trying some power shots. Not a bad course, and it's close to home. Follow the painted bars on the basket to find the next hole.

A good workout

1    8/22/2009   8/22/2009
Review By: Caribbeing
Pros: As many other reviewers have said, it's somewhat monotonous, but that didn't bother me. It's a great chance to work on your drives, and you really don't get punished for a bad throw, except if you put one over the dreaded fence.

The fact that the course is open and large means the wind gets cranking some days, which I like. I think it adds to the challenge, because you have to control your throws and keep them low.

I love the idea of painting one or two bars of the basket to show the direction to the next tee pad - that's very clever, and something I'd love to see adopted by other courses.
Cons: A bit one dimensional.
Other Thoughts: It's a bit of a workout for those of us over 40. The length of the course (I played the blues, which are significantly longer than the whites) is unusual in this area. I liked it because I really felt like I got some good exercise by the time I was done.

Very interesting bird life. I was often surrounded by swooping, silent birds, zipping along just a foot or two above the ground. I think they may have been swifts, but I'm not sure. Still, pretty cool, and definitely not something I've seen before.

I liked it.

1    5/20/2009   6/11/2009
Review By: atalised
Pros: It's another 18+ course in the area. It's still free to play. It's on a bus line! (My car breaks down a lot.) The baskets have colors to point you to the next one.
Cons: Already lost a disc in the drink and it didn't have my name on it. :(
Other Thoughts: Can't wait to play it more.

5+    5/26/2009   5/26/2009
Review By: bygwyllay
This review was updated on 7/20/2010
Pros: 24 holes make for a nice outing. Course makes for long drives and technical puts around shielded chainstars. Large course means even if it's crowded, there isn't much waiting. A few nice shots throughout; hole 13 is over a shallow pond. Very well marked. Course map available online as well.

**update**
all tee signs are now in! very nice wooden posts with the hole numbers screwed in. pro shop now open! man they have alotta discs!! gotta check it out!!!
Cons: Holes can become rather boring. Almost all holes are wide open drives with trees guarding the baskets. Hole two is a ridiculous 990 feet. Mostly flat terrain.
Other Thoughts: Very cool to turn a golf course into a DGC. A fun time for sure. Show I.D. at the gate - turn left. Course is by the tennis courts.