Ypsilanti, MI
The Ponds at Lakeshore Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #F (Taken 8/2009)
Hole #8 White/Blue Tee

A good workout

1    8/22/2009   8/22/2009
Review By: Caribbeing
Pros: As many other reviewers have said, it's somewhat monotonous, but that didn't bother me. It's a great chance to work on your drives, and you really don't get punished for a bad throw, except if you put one over the dreaded fence.

The fact that the course is open and large means the wind gets cranking some days, which I like. I think it adds to the challenge, because you have to control your throws and keep them low.

I love the idea of painting one or two bars of the basket to show the direction to the next tee pad - that's very clever, and something I'd love to see adopted by other courses.
Cons: A bit one dimensional.
Other Thoughts: It's a bit of a workout for those of us over 40. The length of the course (I played the blues, which are significantly longer than the whites) is unusual in this area. I liked it because I really felt like I got some good exercise by the time I was done.

Very interesting bird life. I was often surrounded by swooping, silent birds, zipping along just a foot or two above the ground. I think they may have been swifts, but I'm not sure. Still, pretty cool, and definitely not something I've seen before.

5+    8/19/2009   8/19/2009
Review By: craftsman
Pros: -Level cement tees(looks like 4x10).Most allow decent run up.- new chainstar baskets w/ next tee pointers.- Very nice pro shop(mon.-fri. 2-8, sat. 11-7) offering multiple brands. Painless disc location- even on long holes.- New posts w/ P.O.V. signs.
Cons: -For 24 holes, not a ton of different shots needed (due to flat elevation and lack of trees).-Small trash cans fill quickly, (even if it's not our mess, you know who will take blame) so be prepared to pack what you bring.
Other Thoughts: -Course moves quickly, even when busy.- Tree placement & sand traps make nice holes when intended routes are followed.- Only 3 benches so bring chairs and carts if you have 'em!

change of pace

1    5/31/2009   6/25/2009
Review By: jmagee77
Pros: Great for beginners.
Sand traps/OB is a nice touch if you play them into your score.
Chains have a blue mark on them to tell you where the next tee is.
The holes are marked to tell you par and distance and where the chains are at.
FREE TO PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!! all ways a big plus in my book.
only one hole has a high chance of losing your disc. (water hole)

Cons: Not a lot of obstacles to avoided on drives.
Not a really technical course.
Hole #13 (water) I skipped this hole because there was too much of a high risk of losing my disk.
I didn't see a bathroom any where.
Other Thoughts: I played on a Sunday in the middle of a nice day and there was a lot of people, but we never had to wait on any one.
The course moved along at a great pace.

I liked it.

1    5/20/2009   6/11/2009
Review By: atalised
Pros: It's another 18+ course in the area. It's still free to play. It's on a bus line! (My car breaks down a lot.) The baskets have colors to point you to the next one.
Cons: Already lost a disc in the drink and it didn't have my name on it. :(
Other Thoughts: Can't wait to play it more.

Maybe I spoke too soon.

1    6/5/2009   6/5/2009
Review By: Robocision
This review was updated on 6/27/2012
Pros: Nice, clean, friendly environment.

The lake hole would be fantastic if I was confident enough in my drive to go for it. I skipped this hole.
Cons: Every single hole is completely wide open with exception to the greens.

The 10' fence along the first three holes is horrible. You're looking at a ten minute walk if you throw over it because if they see you climb the fence you get ejected from the course.

I'd say the average from the blue tees is 400' but hole two is a ridiculous 900'.
Other Thoughts: Update 06/27/2012

Since originally writing my review I have had three years of experience and working on my game. I played here today and found that I enjoyed this course very very much. The fence may still be a problem for some people but that is literally the only negative I can list.

Maybe it's my improved game that increased my level of enjoyment? It's quite possible.

Upping the review from 2 to 4 and removing the comment about paint on the targets not always pointing to the next tee.

Great course.

1    5/30/2009   6/3/2009
Review By: maynes32
Pros: - A great course for first-timers, with the exception of the famous water hole
- The few trees that are present are utilized extremely well to give good technical challenges in what is really a very open area
- Conversion of sand traps to OB areas makes for a nice added challenge that you can either use or not, as you see fit
- Paint on basket spokes pointing to next tee is a FANTASTIC idea that other courses (I'm looking at you, Hudson Mills) should adopt
Cons: - Though the openness is nice for new players, it's a little TOO open. I didn't ding rating for this much, though, because you can only work with what you have, and as stated above, the existing trees are used very well
- The fence. Sigh. If you lose one over the fence on hole 1, it's easy enough (sorta) to run around and get it, but losing one over the fence on other holes leads to great temptation to break The Rule.
Other Thoughts: The Rule referred to above is "Thou shalt not climb over or under the fence around the course, or we might stop having free disc golf or disc golf at all". None of us have broken it, but I've seen others doing so, as the worry your disc will be gone by the time you leave is high ...

1    5/23/2009   6/2/2009
Review By: wasted energy
Pros: Very clean, open and the baskets have paint on them, so you can tell where the next tee is. It's very hard to lose a disc (unless you throw it in the water).
Cons: A little too long for a newbie like me, and the first two holes are right by a fence, which would be a bitch to climb (and they don't want you to).
Other Thoughts: This is great course for more advanced players who can throw far (and not over the fence). I will love this course,once I can drive better.

5+    5/26/2009   5/26/2009
Review By: bygwyllay
This review was updated on 7/20/2010
Pros: 24 holes make for a nice outing. Course makes for long drives and technical puts around shielded chainstars. Large course means even if it's crowded, there isn't much waiting. A few nice shots throughout; hole 13 is over a shallow pond. Very well marked. Course map available online as well.

**update**
all tee signs are now in! very nice wooden posts with the hole numbers screwed in. pro shop now open! man they have alotta discs!! gotta check it out!!!
Cons: Holes can become rather boring. Almost all holes are wide open drives with trees guarding the baskets. Hole two is a ridiculous 990 feet. Mostly flat terrain.
Other Thoughts: Very cool to turn a golf course into a DGC. A fun time for sure. Show I.D. at the gate - turn left. Course is by the tennis courts.

Not bad, I'll be back

5+    5/31/2009   5/23/2009
Review By: Rupert M
This review was updated on 6/12/2010
Pros: Nice tee-boxes, good signs and fairly easy to follow. Its very well maintained and the flow is pretty decent. Mostly wide-open shots. Not any corridors of trees to worry about throwing through. Lots of distance, short tees help the novice golfers. Great targets plus a practice basket. Well guarded targets on most holes. You play out and then the turn brings you back to the clubhouse. Very little chance of losing a disc. One water hole.
Cons: Kinda the same long shot into a well guarded basket area gets a little repetitive at times. Not much shade. Bring sunscreen and bug-spray. A map of the course would be helpful, but not mandatory.
Other Thoughts: Nice overall set-up. Check in at gatehouse at the apartment entrance, then make a u-turn into the course. Plenty of party-stores and food-distribution centers in the area. Overall, a really nice place. Do not jump/climb over the fence...
The pro shop is now open and has an EXCELLENT supply of disc golf essentials at very good prices. Gotta check it out when you can.

Surprise course

1    5/18/2009   5/18/2009
Review By: waterhyzerd
This review was updated on 9/25/2014
Pros: It's on and old nine hole golf course, which makes for a clean setting for disc golf. The holes are mostly open and long, yet you can't just go out and rip drives anywhere or you will see your way into some trouble. Tee pads and signs are well done, and the sand trap OB areas are pretty cool.
Cons: The course is mostly flat and some holes would be better if they weren't so obstacle-free. Some more OB if possible would make the course a better challenge. The area surrounding the course isn't very nice to look at but it's not distracting.
Other Thoughts: Very good course.

BEST PART- 300 ft shot over a small pond with seemingly cool blue water. Definitely a signature hole.