Hastings, MI
Hammond Hill DGC Share
Uploaded By: volklgirl Hole #16 (Taken 9/2010)
Hole #16 Blue Tee

Might As Well Hit Hastings

1    7/20/2010   7/21/2010
Review By: BucketBonanza
Pros: This was a nice little walk through the hillside. This course offers a good amount of variety and views. It has concrete tee pads and is fairly easy to navigate with a natural flow to the layout. It seemed quite well maintained and appears to be beloved by the locals as there is no garbage or other signs of destructive behavior. It is worn in well and judging from past reviews it has come a long way. Hole one makes things interesting right off the bat. It is nearly straight down with a neck breaker of a walk down a steep and rocky hill. The next few holes move from an open meadow that requires a fair amount of accuracy into some hiking trail holes that are tight and wooded. A lake is visible through the trees to the left which is a nice touch as you look out from this elevation. There is a really cool ravine hole back here, the number escapes me as I forgot my notepad and the course pictures here are lacking, that sends you over and up through quite a picturesque section of the landscape. Signature all the way. After weaving through the woods, the back nine takes you out into a more open area with hills and elevation changes. The front nine ends at the parking lot which is nice because you have the option of stopping if you are short on time or getting another refreshment. Eighteen takes you right back to your car.
Cons: There really aren't many cons here. The first few holes seem a bit packed in, and the back nine is just a touch mundane. The signs were confusing to me as a first timer. They show basket A and basket B. I thought there were two baskets per hole. I guess the positioning changes throughout the season. This adds to variety and is actually a pro. There was no intangible here that made me feel that this course was greatness, but it is definitely a solid course with a decent design and layout. I think the designers did the best they could with this piece of land.
Other Thoughts: If you are in the surrounding area this course is one to check out. It offers a different feel than the city courses and will definitely allow you to demonstrate your skills.

I'm tired and that's good.

1    6/15/2009   6/15/2009
Review By: TunaSled
Pros: Excellent basket placement through a scenic hike. Holes are well thought out if not a bit difficult, which adds to the challenge and charm. Brand new baskets are always nice, I love that sound when you mash a long putt. Course was freshly mowed upon our arrival, I've heard complaints about overgrown fairways but this was not the case.
Cons: Bugs and critters. We encountered a large snake that was ready to bite, luckily we spotted him right after he saw us and he retreated into the rough. I got stung by a ground hornet on 8, beware nests just beyond the basket. Cement tee pads would be nice, hopefully that is in the works. I'd like to see a pavillion near the parking lot or at least a better place to chill and eat between rounds.
Other Thoughts: Get your birdies early as this course provides few opportunities on the back 9. The long tees are very challenging but easier to find than the shorts. Very rugged, demanding course, prepare for a long day.

Hammond Hill DGC

1    5/17/2009   5/17/2009
Review By: Kenn
Pros: Good parking. Tees #1, basket #9, tee #10 and basket #18 in very close proximity to parking lot.
Extremely challenging design with plenty of elevation changes and technical shot making. Utilizes Chainstar baskets. Varying terraine. Front nine wooded and tight. Back nine more open and field like, but also technical. Back nine has some long holes. Course has alternate tee pads and alternate basket placements.
Cons: Due to the newness of the course (sometime in 2008)... as to not mention all the cons...Hammomd Hill DGC is a work in progress, but very playable. I'm sure the involved managers know this and are working to make it better.
Other Thoughts: Hammond Hill DGC is a very new disc golf course. I have only been playing disc golf for about 1.5 years and I really liked playing it. (Nyet to Azar 002) A very challenging and scenic design with varying terrain. In time this course will be in the books as a go to course.
Yes...the course does need maintainence, but this is simply due to the newness of it. On the front there is alot of loose logs in the fairways and near some baskets (could be moved). Plus I think the fairways on the back nine could use some mowing to show direction Not to mention signage. Plus some of the Autumn Olives could be removed as well on the backside.
There were three of us playing (all of us new to Hammond) and although we had to be spotters and scouts for each other (to find baskets & typical for a new design) we did not lose one disc. But rest assured we were pooped when we finished #18. We discussed the course afterwards and unanamously decided we would be back to play Hammomd Hill DGC again very soon. Possibly making a day of it.
So I say thumbs down to Azar 002 who dis'ed Hammond. Hammond is (going to be) typical of a good Michigan course. I do hope though that the course managers do put in cement pads or rubber fly pads in the future. Oh yes...did I mention mowing?
I am going to give Hammond Hill a good rating (3.0) I hope in the future I can give it a 3.5. Who knows maybe (in time) it could be the Hammond Hill Disc Golf Country Club of Hastings. Rivaling the Hastings ball golf country club.