Hastings, MI
Hammond Hill DGC Share
Uploaded By: volklgirl Hole #4 (Taken 9/2010)
Hole #4 Blue Tee

1 2 3 4 Next >
 3 and a half hours.

1    5/16/2009   5/17/2009
Review By: Azar002
Pros: If you are a TRUE professional, this course is for you. The baskets are new, with nice new chains. Much elevation change. As an incentive to throw straight, the overgrowth will eat up your disc if you are off course even a bit. Many holes "snake" through woods, on the edge of hills, over hills, and around clusters of trees.
Cons: Overgrown, overgrown, overgrown. Pads are barely worn, and "pro" pads are ridiculously long... "stupid long" as I called it. The 10 of us are good golfers, in our 5th season. On EVERY hole we had to first find the barely marked tees, then run ahead to find the basket. The first team that shot had to walk ahead and "spot" every drive, and even then at least one disc required a "search party" on every other hole or so. On this particular day the wind was strong. Scores for doubles on the back 9 were from +3 to +9. Again, I will say, the main con for this course: OVERGROWTH. Be prepared to spend about 3 hours on this course. You will spend a lot of time looking for discs, even the ones you watch land in the fairways (which was 10 inch grass the day we went). On hole 16 or so I decided to enjoy my time at this course, because I decided it would be the last time I ever be there.
Other Thoughts: 10 of us played this course. 2 sets of 5 singles on the front nine, and 5 sets of doubles on the back nine. The front nine was pretty nice, average score around +5. The back nine was unbelievable. Do not waste your time driving out to this course. I will not return, and if I do it will be because I was dragged there against my will.

Hammond Hill

5+    4/15/2009   4/16/2009
Review By: B-rad
Pros: A challenging course with lots of variety Probably 5 short, 3 med, 10 long (really long). Lots of blind tee offs. Good elevation change. Secluded...for now. They have Baskets now.
Cons: If you don't know where to go you won't know where to go. no pads yet.
Other Thoughts: I like pizza. I lost my lighter...I'm freakin out man!

1    3/20/2009   3/20/2009
Review By: FoleyT
This review was updated on 6/23/2009
Pros: Has the possibility of being a really nice course with some more work devoted to it. Some interesting holes, some extreme downhills, some beautiful scenery, a good mixture of wooded and meadow situations. To be fair, I may have played this course too early in the season, because only 3 baskets were in place, and everything else was indicated by pvc pipe and landscaping flags.
Cons: Course needs some better navigation aids. Several times I found myself wandering all over the place looking for the next hole, and many times I found both the long and short tees, but had no idea where I was shooting for. Tee areas needs a lot of work, many times you are teeing off in bumpy overgrown terrain, and be careful of turning an ankle wandering through the meadowlands on your way to the basket. It remains to be seen how much grooming is planned on for later in the year, but I can imagine the back nine becoming an overgrown mess with the potential for lots of wasted time searching for discs in the brush. If someone knows any more about this course, I'd be interested in hearing whether or not baskets are scheduled to be put in here later in the season?
Other Thoughts: Not sure if it is worth the long drive from Grand Rapids as the course stands right now, but I'd be willing to drive down and take another look later in the summer.

ADDENDUM (summer 2009): Nice new baskets (except missing on #4 for some reason). As I suspected, once the trees and undergrowth filled in on this course, it becomes an exercise in futility. You need a spotter on nearly every hole, and even then, be prepared to hunt for discs from time to time. Didn't even bother to play the back nine with all that long grass waiting to swallow up discs. Not really worth the long drive from Grand Rapids, unless you have a lot of time to devote to it.

1 2 3 4 Next >