Rock Hill, SC
Winthrop University Lakefront Share
Uploaded By: timg   (Taken 12/2014)
Course Sign

The Quest for the Holy Grail

1    7/16/2009   7/17/2009
Review By: BrotherDave
Pros: My buddies and I have always been excited to play this course that is so heralded in disc golf lore. With rapt anticipation we came across a beautiful park/sports complex replete with sunshine and well maintained fields. Getting into the park was no problem. The lake is as beautiful as is it daunting. More than a few carefully designed "signature" holes to choose from, with 5 a long downhill bomb out into the open, 7 better guarded by a ring of cedars than the President at a speech, 10 a long hyzer around a big tree with the lake menacing to the left, and 12 with its bamboo fort around the hole. Adequate tees and well maintained fairways. Good variety of shots, good length to warm up the cannon if you have one.
Cons: "The Killer Rabbit (or Duck) of Caerbannog" I had to meet up with a local to get a gist of the course b/c there is NO signage, and every basket is #'d wrong as previously stated. Definitely bring a scorecard/map before you head out b/c the intertwining layouts of this and the Gold version is confusing. After rounding around the lake my guide exclaimed, "There he is!", alluding to a duck he referred to as Satan. A mean little bastard who fortunately was too busy cleaning itself to chase us. Definitely felt like Sir Robin and the shock of seeing this infamous duck almost made me soil my armor. Other than no signs and the confusing layout at first, the course has no cons except some of the lakefront holes are replete with geese shat. We did encounter one lady sunbathing less than 15 feet from a tee but women in bikinis are typically not cons in my book. I didn't notice any bathrooms either.
Other Thoughts: I was mildly disappointed mostly b/c of the lack signage but this course was a lot of fun and you don't have to be pro to enjoy this course unlike, say, Renny. But with so many big tourneys played here I expected to have at least some decent tee signs. This course is more open than wooded but 13 and 14 are two nice long wooded holes with old oaks lining the fairway. And for the love of Pete forehand your drive on 18 or you're begging to jump in the lake for your disc, mad roll away potential.

B-e-a-utiful

2-4    7/14/2009   7/14/2009
Review By: britishdisc
Pros: -Excellent course design
-Good mixture of long and short holes
-Nicely maintained fairways with no trash
-Benches at every hole for if you need to sit down
-Large open fairways with little to no trees add variety to the course unlike most courses which are wooded
Cons: -The tees and baskets are incorrectly numbered making it hard to navigate
Other Thoughts: -Avoid the psycho duck
-Bring a map till you get familiar with the holes

A- = Almost As Good As It Gets

5+    11/16/2007   5/26/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == B
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == A-
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == A-
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == B+
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A

Over time, I expect to fill some of my reviews in with more descriptive verbiage...if what I can add anything to what has already been written. For now, my list is more important to me than the verbiage of my reviews.

I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me....that's the fun of things here. See my profile for my rating philosophy.

5+    3/5/2009   3/5/2009
Review By: tspeedb
Pros: very very very fun. if you dont have the energy to throw over 500ft all day you can still get some winthrop dg
Cons: people sit and walk all over course. the longest hole they lay a blanket down and sit on the fairway.
Other Thoughts: dont lose your discs

2-4    2/7/2009   2/19/2009
Review By: Big Chipper
Pros: Easily the longest non-tournament course in the region (gets much longer playing the tournament Gold course). Nice mixture of open shots and some tighter areas.
Cons: The lake seems to like my discs. The numbering system on tees and baskets is about the dumbest thing ever. First timers need a map.
Other Thoughts: Lots of fun. I wish they would spend a few $$$ working on the numbering system. Not a single one is correct.

Great Course

5+    6/3/2008   1/21/2009
Review By: _.-Dut-._
Pros:
-Beautiful course
-Several holes have great risk reward
-Very complimentary of Gold course.
Much like a shorter version.
- Very clean and well maintained

Cons:
-Can be difficult to navigate the first time.
Other Thoughts: This is a very challenging and enjoyable course. Great shorter alternative to the larger Gold Course, but still very challenging. As forementioned, theres is a a Bike shop nearby that has a nice selection of discs. This course by itself is worth the trip, Id also reccommend taking the time to play it for anyone that is coming to play the prestigious Gold Course.

A Must Play

1    6/8/2006   10/23/2008
Review By: bjreagh
This review was updated on 7/22/2013
Pros: To play over a large portion of what the pros play each fall at the USDGA Championships is a must. Playing a round where the game's greatest have played is a pretty cool feeling. (It would be like playing ball golf at Augusta National where the PGA plays the Masters.)

Each hole is unique, challenging, but fair. The lake adds nice scenery and a wonderful challenge. This course offers a nice alternative to the Gold course- it is still all you want without all the extra distance!

We were the only ones on the course for most of the round since school was out for the summer and we played during a weekday.
Cons: It can be difficult to follow, (the course can be played 2 different ways- Lakefront & Gold- some tees and baskets are used for both, others are not used). It is not impossible though, just use a map or play with someone who has played before.

The "mutant" duck! He followed us around for several holes, including swimming across the lake twice to join us. He was somewhat annoying as he was loud, in the way, and kind of scary looking!!!

The disc eating lake- All the fairways have a slight downward slant towards the lake, so be careful, there is a good chance of losing a disc when you play here. (It is called LAKEfront!)

(Both the duck and the disc eating lake apparently are well-known to the locals as people we encountered knew exactly what we talking about.)
Other Thoughts: All in all it was a terrific experience, and I hope I get to go back and play it again soon!!!

I loved playing Winthrop, and it is cool to look at the pics from the USDGA championship each year and see the very same memorable holes that I have played.

5+    2/18/2011   8/22/2008
Review By: heelboycraig
This review was updated on 11/23/2013
Pros: Winthrop U is a solid course, with even better scenery, playing around the lake. Depending on the time of year, the views may be the best reason to play this course.
- It's one of the most well-maintained courses I've ever played. The groundskeepers do a great job keeping things in top shape.
- Course is challenging, but very fair. If you can control throws, plenty of chances for birdies. Errant throws on several holes will find a new home in the lake.
- One of the best risk/reward courses around. If you're aggressive, especially on water holes, you can score really low here. If you're careless, that aggressiveness will lead to high numbers, and probably lost discs.
- Course is mostly open, so you can really let it fly. Hole #5 is an elevated tee to a wide-open field. Perfect hole to throw multiple drives. It's also the $10K ace hole in the USDG championships, so it's a good one to become very familiar with.
- Good course for beginners and casual players. With the change to #9, there isn't much length at all. Keep shots clear of the water, and players of any skill level can handle this course.
- Great course flow, winding around the lake. Great scenery on every hole, with the lake visible on all but a handful of holes.
Cons: The hole numbers, tee signs and basket numbers don't always match. Make sure you print a course map before playing!!!!! The course is easy to navigate if you follow the map. If not, you're going to go crazy when you see a tee pad for #7, a tee sign say #3 and a basket say #14.
- In addition to the navigation issues, there aren't any signs on the course (next hole, tee signs, etc.) There are a couple of tee sign plaques in the ground on a couple holes, but you'll more than likely stumble upon those by accident.
- There aren't a lot of obstacles on this course. Many holes play wide open. A lot are relatively straight and/or have little variation in elevation.
- This is an obvious: the holes close to the water present a lost disc danger. Despite knowing this, many people seem surprised about it happening and/or seem to think of it as a deterrent.
- During the school year and when the weather is nice, the area around the lake is occupied. It's a college course, so you may be out of luck trying to play then.
- There's a long walk between some holes, especially from #16 to 17. Again, the scenery is great, so it's not a bad thing.
Other Thoughts: This is a really enjoyable course. If you don't want to kill yourself on the Gold course, this is a great alternative.
- Water is only a factor (to varying degrees) on holes 9 - 11, 17- 18. You can take water out play on all those holes by playing smart shots. For example, throwing to the right of the big tree on #10, instead of going to the left and over water. You take the chance of birdie out of the equation, but you'll still get par and don't risk losing a disc.
- I've finally encountered the angry, mutant duck. It looks like it's a cross between a duck and Swamp Thing. After it tried to bite me, a guy standing by said it bit him 10 years ago.
- This course has taken some serious hits in the past couple years. The change to #9 was terrible. It went from the longest, most enjoyable hole to the shortest, most boring hole. That's assuming I found the actual new makeshift teepad. Also, the change to the bamboo hole was a change for the worse. It's no longer a fortress, rather a simple bamboo wall. Makes the hole that much easier, aka, boring.
- The changes to this course have been for the negative. This course is much closer to an average (2.5-level) course than an elite one. Don't let the high ratings fool you. Those ratings are way too generous and/or more reflective of the gold layout than the Lakefront course.
- This is still a wonderful, well-kept course. It's no longer in the ranks of the must-plays or top-level courses in the region. Still, it's a great change of pace from most courses in Charlotte.

Would go back today

6/8/2006   3/13/2008
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: This place was beautiful. Long gorgeous throws. Plays around the lake. Extremely well kept. Challenging, even in the short "Lakefront" layout.
Cons: There was an angry Mutant Duck that chased us around most of the course. It was really messed-up looking and sounded like it had asthma.
Other Thoughts: This is disc golf the way it should be. In a picturesque outdoor setting. I love the tee on the hill ( I think its around hole 6)where you're throwing downhill from under a couple of trees out into an open field. Gorgeous shot. I would brave the asthmatic duck monster any time just to play this course. On a side note, my buddy tried flicking his putter through a crack in the bamboo fence on one hole. he lost his putter in the drink. We have teased him about it ever since because really, who loses their putter by flicking it through a bamboo fence and watching it sail into the drink.

No OB rope makes the course different.

2/20/2008   2/20/2008
Review By: bryon
Pros: This is the home course to the USDGA. Many rank the "Gold" course as the best in Disc Golf. None of the "out of bounds" rope lines were up when I played. In my opinion without the "out of bounds" rope that gets setup a few weeks of the year, the course really isn't all that great. Except for being long, I didn't feel anything special about the course. Like I mentioned before, if the rope lines were added I may have felt differently. In my opinion the "Lake" baskets I played/saw should probably be removed and only the GOLD baskets should remain. Having both sets of baskets without any tee signs can be confusing for people who have never played the sport or seen any of the videos. As you can tell from my review, I did not enjoy playing the course the day I went. Hopefully I will have a chance to play the course when all the ropes have been added and get a great feeling many in this country have when playing this course. I am rating this course higher than I think it should be on reputation of the greatness with the OB lines added and the Gold course reputation.