Corona, CA
River Walk DGC Share
Uploaded By: mikethrice Hole #7 (Taken 6/2009)

< Prev 1 2 3
Beginners lair

1    1/18/2014   1/18/2014
Review By: Wilson
Pros: Fancy pads in a new park, pads have distance and hole # stamped in the concrete with attractive rock masonry around them.
Great course to take any beginner to.
Cons: New park where someone decided to cram a disc golf course in as an afterthought.
Only 7 holes, extremely short course, leave the drivers in your bag.
Very windy, baby trees and mulch everywhere off tee pads.
Each hole is affected by traffic from another hole.

Other Thoughts: Whoever put this course together had the right idea in mind and clearly wasn't allotted enough land to make a good course. Sad, as the land around the park has potential for awesome, lengthy and imaginitive holes.
Take your kids to this one to learn, but only if you live nearby. NOT worth a drive of any distance.

Excellent starter course

5+    1/30/2013   2/20/2013
Review By: getthepuckout
Pros: Holes are clearly marked on tee-pad with distances.
Park is well maintained and peaceful.
Short and simple giving you an opportunity to work on your putt/approach game, or a great beginner course for those just starting.
18 can be played here with a little imagination.
Free to play
Cons: Houses line the course and can be a factor off a few drives.
Woodchips everywhere. Expect to get them in your shoes, sandals not an option.
If you are playing 18 and there's another group playing on the course you will be shooting into each others direction quite often.
During the summer it can get very hot and there is very little shade provided. Bring sunscreen.

Other Thoughts: The course is a great course for beginners. We often use this course as an introductory course when we have friends interested in playing. The short distances and straight shots do not demoralize new players.

Police often patrol the parking lots during and just after school hours. Kids will hang out in their car to smoke. I've never been bothered by any kids. An officer may ask you a few questions if you're by your car when they come by.

Nice little practice course

1    6/9/2011   6/24/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays in an open area of the park with some small rolling hills. There are a few holes that have nice slope to them, giving beginners the chance to start trying uphill and downhill shots. Some small trees come into play on a couple holes adding at least a little bit of an obstacle to get to the pin. The baskets are in great shape, and the concrete tees are huge and nice concrete with the hole number and distance engraved in the pad. The holes have nice distance variety within reason for a beginner course, from 85 to 300 feet.
Cons: The course is wide open, and overall pretty short. The first hole is a long putt, and many of the others are simple approach shots with no obstacles and no punishment for errant drives. The fairways are wood chips, not a major con just a bit odd in a nice grassy park. The tee sizes are nice, but having the rock walls on the sides made them a little awkward. There's no shade on the course at all, so a hot summer day might not be the best time to play.
Other Thoughts: This is a decent beginner course, it's plenty short and nicely maintained with no navigation issues, but there aren't any holes that push new players to try any different kinds of shots. More experienced players won't find any challenges here, only one hole calls for more than a putter shot for most players. There are some fun safari options, you could make some decent holes, but they'd still be pretty wide open.

Practice only

5+    5/28/2011   6/13/2011
Review By: treesbeware
Pros: -Good practice course
-awesome tee pads
-new baskets
Cons: -Short Course
-Wood chips
-too close to homes.
Other Thoughts: This isnt a course that i would go outta my way to play at. Its small and gets crowded very easily. Its more of a course to learn the game or practice new discs on.

A Great Practice Course

5+    3/27/2011   3/30/2011
Review By: stunts
Pros: This is a great practice course. I always try unfamiliar discs there and work on shots that I wouldn't try on a full-sized course. There's plenty of time to practice shots because I've never seen another disc golfer on the course when I've been there. I've gone at all times of the day and have never seen anyone else playing. The residents I've spoken to though always claim that people are playing there all the time, sometimes at midnight apparently. As several other reviewers state, the tee pads are the best I've seen! Friendly residents along the course.
Cons: Houses along the entire course. The course is covered by wood chips - not my preference. A very short course though can be made to be a bit longer with some creative modifications as to which basket your throwing to.
Other Thoughts: The residents I've spoken to have all been very friendly and interested in finding out more about disc golf. Unfortunately though, many of them have also claimed that the people who use the course have hopped over fences into backyards to retrieve discs without asking and that players often play at odd hours and seem to be there to drink and make noise. No problem to have fun doing the sport we all love, but the way to grow the sport is to respect those that don't yet play and make them want to be part of something great. If you're there for a game at very early or late hours, try to have some respect for the people who live right on the course. This course was built for the use of the residents in the housing community there, they could easily make it off limits to outsiders.

walk the river

5+    2/26/2011   3/13/2011
Review By: Discbear
Pros: I challenge anyone to find better tee pads than here. The pads are very long,long enough for the longest run up for a drive ever. There is classy rock work bordering the tees. If you want to shoot for aces and birdies all day this is your place. I think it is the perfect place to introduce a child, wife or girlfriend or really anyone new to the sport. It is a clean park. If I lived in easy walking distance I'd probably be getting in a quick round there constantly before work after dinner etc. You will likely shoot your lowest score ever here. I had a 15.
Cons: It is way to short only 7 holes and they are mostly very short as well with the longest right at 300 feet. It is surely not a destination course, because your adventure is over in 15 minutes, but you could go around a dozen times. You might get dizzy going through so many times.
Other Thoughts: Every community in the USA needs a little course like this in the neighborhood

2-4    3/1/2011   3/3/2011
Review By: macViciouss
Pros: very clearly marked
safe area
very very nice park
dogs allowed
nice concrete tees.
Cons: part of the course is on the side of a hill, covered in bark....slippery when it rains and a bit hard to walk on even when its not wet.
tiny course
Other Thoughts: This was a nice park, very well done and its in a safe area. probably great for beginners as its so small.

Small Course in a Pretty Park

1    8/24/2010   8/24/2010
Review By: PDXDisc
Pros: Very pretty park
Huge well built tee pads
The bark chips are nice twist
Friendly folks in a nice neighborhood
Free
Cons: Only 7 very short holes
Not a lot of obsticals yet (give it 10 years when the trees grow in though)
Not much challenge
Other Thoughts: Played the whole course with a putter - not much challenge. But the pads were increadibly well engineered. Had fun going early in the day before the August heat and had a nice walk and chatted with some of the locals. The view of the mountains and the dry desert air was a nice change of pace (visiting from Portland OR).

RiverWalk alt 18 hole

5+    8/15/2010   8/17/2010
Review By: Nozzledog
Pros: Never crowded, Good use of area, Nice elevation changes. 7 hole great for beginners, 18 hole good for advanced.
Cons: Not much shade. Closest snacks 2 miles away.
Other Thoughts: This has a good 18 hole course using the same 7 baskets with alt. tees, giving a few 300'+ holes. I will try to post this map to Links.
Distances stamped in concrete are NOT correct. Take about 15' off.
I play this course often and never have had a bug problem. I always see City Parks personnel out there and they take care of any problems immediately.

Beautiful Practice Course, I'm in Love with the Tees!

1    5/15/2010   5/17/2010
Review By: OcDiscGolf
Pros:
Very Nice, lengthy tees that are surrounded by 1 ft tall rock ledges which are perfect for sitting on. These are probably the nicest tees I have ever seen and also the longest. Most are double what a standard tee would be. I would love to have these at other courses in my area.
New DGA baskets that are well kept and graffiti free
Good use of elevation change including a few hillside baskets which make for a tricky approach
In a nice, new, clean neighborhood
Locals are extremely gracious, although I didn't see any serious disc golfers out there. It seems families like to play this one for exercise a lot which I think is great.
Free!
Cons:
Not much length on all holes except for one which is 300 feet. The first hole listed as 85 feet but really felt like a 60 foot putt. My daughter actually par'd number one and she just turned 5 years old. Good pump up for her.
Bugs! The entire park was carpeted with millions of these tiny ant sized creatures that actually looked like tiny roaches. I hope they weren't crabs because I think I brought a few home with me.
No Pro shop and no food or gas close by. If you don't know the area and don't have a GPS, make sure to gas up and get snacks before you get there.
Only 7 holes, there is room for 9 and maybe even more.
A few holes play very close to backyards and I almost put my favorite Star Beast in one of them when I turned over my shot on 6. There was a vicious looking chihuahua in there as well.
Riverwalk DGC is a recent addition to the Inland Empire's collection of disc golf courses, and it is obvious that the designers put a lot of love into this one. Even though it is a short 7 hole course, there are some fun lines and lots of opportunities for Safari with the space available in the park. I had a lot of fun here with my family, and I think that is what the designers had in mind - a short, family friendly course that really anyone could play. My 5 year old daughter had a blast playing it and as I mentioned, she got her first par on Hole # 1. She chose the Nuke (even though I told her it was wicked stable) and she actually turned it over on her 45 foot drive.

I don't know if I hit this one at a certain time because no one else had mentioned this, but the entire ground of the park was carpeted in billions of these tiny bugs which I could not identify. On # 4 which is the downhill shot, my putter (which I threw on every hole except for 2) landed in the bush beyond the hole. I reached into the bush to retrieve it and when I withdrew my arm, it was covered in about 100 of these little bugs. I felt like I was reliving the scene from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom when Indy has to reach into the "Bug hole" to unlatch the trap door. I turned to one of my kids and yelled "Get me my whip Shorty!". Then I proceeded to brush all of them off and nailed the 15 foot putt for birdie. It added a bit of adventure and intrigue to the round.

After the fact, I talked to Jurupa Parks and Rec and they indicated that they weren't exactly sure what they were, but did verify the existence of the little guys 2 days after I was there and are currently investigating. More to come on this...

If I lived close to this course, I would definitely play it regularly - it is well kept up and fun for a short practice round or three. I saw 2 families playing and they were pretty surprised I was able to get up to that 300 foot hole on my first shot. I think they had been playing that one as a Par 5. The problem with the geographic location is that it is very much out of the way. My GPS showed it as being 16 miles out and it took 40 minutes to get there. In a straight line, it is not very far from where I live but the freeways do not go directly there. There is also a serious lack of any sort of facilities nearby including gas, food, and of course no pro shop.

Overall, the local residents here in the Corona/Norco/Mira Loma area should be very happy that they have a nice, clean new course to practice at. Prado is not very far away and provides much more challenge and length, as well as a full 18 holes. However, this is a great practice course to tune up your mid to short range game. Big arms will only need a putter and maybe a mid range or fairway driver for the one lengthy hole. I would also advise that this area gets a lot of direct sun and will probably get very hot in the summertime. Bring plenty of liquids and also some sunblock I think I'm going to have my raccoon eyes for some time to come and I was only out there 90 minutes at the most.

< Prev 1 2 3