Corona, CA
River Walk DGC Share
Uploaded By: mikethrice Hole #3 (Taken 6/2009)

Beautiful Practice Course, I'm in Love with the Tees!

1    5/15/2010   5/17/2010
Review By: OcDiscGolf
Pros:
Very Nice, lengthy tees that are surrounded by 1 ft tall rock ledges which are perfect for sitting on. These are probably the nicest tees I have ever seen and also the longest. Most are double what a standard tee would be. I would love to have these at other courses in my area.
New DGA baskets that are well kept and graffiti free
Good use of elevation change including a few hillside baskets which make for a tricky approach
In a nice, new, clean neighborhood
Locals are extremely gracious, although I didn't see any serious disc golfers out there. It seems families like to play this one for exercise a lot which I think is great.
Free!
Cons:
Not much length on all holes except for one which is 300 feet. The first hole listed as 85 feet but really felt like a 60 foot putt. My daughter actually par'd number one and she just turned 5 years old. Good pump up for her.
Bugs! The entire park was carpeted with millions of these tiny ant sized creatures that actually looked like tiny roaches. I hope they weren't crabs because I think I brought a few home with me.
No Pro shop and no food or gas close by. If you don't know the area and don't have a GPS, make sure to gas up and get snacks before you get there.
Only 7 holes, there is room for 9 and maybe even more.
A few holes play very close to backyards and I almost put my favorite Star Beast in one of them when I turned over my shot on 6. There was a vicious looking chihuahua in there as well.
Riverwalk DGC is a recent addition to the Inland Empire's collection of disc golf courses, and it is obvious that the designers put a lot of love into this one. Even though it is a short 7 hole course, there are some fun lines and lots of opportunities for Safari with the space available in the park. I had a lot of fun here with my family, and I think that is what the designers had in mind - a short, family friendly course that really anyone could play. My 5 year old daughter had a blast playing it and as I mentioned, she got her first par on Hole # 1. She chose the Nuke (even though I told her it was wicked stable) and she actually turned it over on her 45 foot drive.

I don't know if I hit this one at a certain time because no one else had mentioned this, but the entire ground of the park was carpeted in billions of these tiny bugs which I could not identify. On # 4 which is the downhill shot, my putter (which I threw on every hole except for 2) landed in the bush beyond the hole. I reached into the bush to retrieve it and when I withdrew my arm, it was covered in about 100 of these little bugs. I felt like I was reliving the scene from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom when Indy has to reach into the "Bug hole" to unlatch the trap door. I turned to one of my kids and yelled "Get me my whip Shorty!". Then I proceeded to brush all of them off and nailed the 15 foot putt for birdie. It added a bit of adventure and intrigue to the round.

After the fact, I talked to Jurupa Parks and Rec and they indicated that they weren't exactly sure what they were, but did verify the existence of the little guys 2 days after I was there and are currently investigating. More to come on this...

If I lived close to this course, I would definitely play it regularly - it is well kept up and fun for a short practice round or three. I saw 2 families playing and they were pretty surprised I was able to get up to that 300 foot hole on my first shot. I think they had been playing that one as a Par 5. The problem with the geographic location is that it is very much out of the way. My GPS showed it as being 16 miles out and it took 40 minutes to get there. In a straight line, it is not very far from where I live but the freeways do not go directly there. There is also a serious lack of any sort of facilities nearby including gas, food, and of course no pro shop.

Overall, the local residents here in the Corona/Norco/Mira Loma area should be very happy that they have a nice, clean new course to practice at. Prado is not very far away and provides much more challenge and length, as well as a full 18 holes. However, this is a great practice course to tune up your mid to short range game. Big arms will only need a putter and maybe a mid range or fairway driver for the one lengthy hole. I would also advise that this area gets a lot of direct sun and will probably get very hot in the summertime. Bring plenty of liquids and also some sunblock I think I'm going to have my raccoon eyes for some time to come and I was only out there 90 minutes at the most.

Putting Practice

1    5/15/2010   5/16/2010
Review By: DocHaole
Pros: - The best tee pads I have ever seen. Someone spent some serious time and money on these.
- Free, one of the only free courses in the area.
- Disc golf exclusive
- No crowds. I was the only one here when I came on a sunny Saturday afternoon, I doubt there is ever a crowd. You can play the whole thing in 20 minutes easily.
Cons: Short and open course. The only problem with having the distances on the tee pads is that now you can't move the baskets around.

There are a few small trees, and as they grow it could add some flavor.
Other Thoughts: The ultimate irony here is that they have some incredible tee pads, and no chance to air it out. But I can't hate this course, if I lived here I'd be out every week and just get creative.

Overall not a destination course, but if you're over at Prado it's worth checking out.

Nice Cool Down after Prado

2-4    4/10/2010   4/11/2010
Review By: fifteen
Pros: DG exclusive area in a neighborhood park which contributes to the great shape the course is in. It was really easy to get around and every hole had its own challenge. The teepads are something else and unique, part of the reason why I stopped by.
Cons: 7 holes that are short, leave the drivers at home. I got by with only my Buzzz and XD. The holes are pretty tight so I can see how crazy it can get if there were several players at the same time.
Other Thoughts: Came out here after playing at Prado since it was on the way home. Not a course to plan a trip for but a course to stop by if you're nearby.

First tee is on the LEFT side of the park sign, park in the cul-de-sac, not the parking lot. I found that out when I first came here.

riverwalk

5+    2/4/2010   2/4/2010
Review By: lmowdy
Pros: this course is a part of a newly developed residential community. one in which has some of the best amenities ive seen. the people in this neighborhood have no excuse not to get exercise. due to this it is very well kept up.

tee pads are great. cement with decorative rock walls bordering them.

baskets in good condition.

shrubberies which as of recently are kept cut down for disc golfers. relatively empty most of the time.
Cons: yes holes are short, but get creative!

course borders the back yards of houses. and its very easy to toss a disc in someones yard. over the past 6 months i've counted new dogs in yards! im sure due to golfers hoping fences with out even a courtesy "hello, anybody home?" if you lose a disc dont be a dick. give a polite warning. people are usually home in the afternoons and im sure wouldnt mind getting it for you. ive even jogged to the front door out of respect. instead of shouting in behind someones house.

wood chips do get in your shoes.
Other Thoughts: i love this course and am there 3 times a week for a quick hour or so game with my brother. like anyone else who frequents this place we've designed our own 9 hole course by extending holes and finding creative tee offs from outside the actual intended boundaries and this has proved the ability to make each hole 300'+.

2-4    1/31/2010   2/2/2010
Review By: Danger
This review was updated on 11/24/2011
Pros: -Gigantic flat concrete tee pads. Easily the 'signature' feature of this course.
-Holes are not repetitive, each represents a different challenge.
-Zero navigation issues.
-Section of park appears to be DG exclusive, with a walking path between it and the river.
-The DGA baskets are all in good condition.
-Course caters to everybody, holes vary between 80 and 300 feet.
-Low risk of losing disks to OB.
-Course makes a complete circle to make multiple loops painless.
-Plenty of places to sit and take a breather, take in the park.
Cons: -As everybody has mentioned, only 7 holes. Would rather see the 7 holes they have though, then to try to cram in 9.
-Pin placements appear to be permanent as the sole distances on each hole are literally paved into the tee-pads.
Other Thoughts: This course plays on a woodchip covered hillside in a small residential park near a river. The 7 holes are behind a line of home backyards providing privacy from any roads, and plays to the side of the main park itself. The woodchips help it to be DG exclusive while grass in other areas tell non-golfers 'Hey! Come hang out here instead!'

Somebody mentioned that the hillside is treacherous. I have to 'strongly disagree'; we had absolutely no problems with footing at any time. Wind was mentioned too, I guess we hit it on a lucky relatively wind-free day.

The numbers on the tee pads appear to be measured from the back of the tee pads (where the number is found), which, themselves, are about 25 feet long. We measured hole one to be about 60' from the tip of the pad while the number provided was 85'. So now you know.

As I frequently mention, this is a fantastic course for the locals, but difficult to legitimize going out of the way for. If you went out of the way to play Prado, I suggest coming here after they close the gates over there and still have some light. I would have to say this is one of my favorite 9 hole courses, even though it is only 7.

Bring your windy day game!

2-4    1/28/2010   1/28/2010
Review By: Apothecary
Pros: -Really nice tee pads. Very long and grippy with the hole number and distance to the pin inscribed on them. Some of the nicest ive seen.
-Baskets in good shape
-Good use of limited topographical changes
-Solitude. I've played there twice now and have yet to see another golfer playing.
-Good flow. Each tee is in a logical and easy to find location.
-Wide open holes with wood-chip bedding makes losing a disc almost impossible
Cons: -Only seven holes. :(
-Wind. I understand it's pretty much always gusty so plan on playing in windy conditions
-Tight fairways. I imagine when there is traffic at this course there is a significant amount of drives going on to other tees and fairways.
-Short holes. And I mean short. Hole 1 is 85'! Every hole can be done with a putter or mid, but bring your drivers to help navigate the wild air currents more efficiently.
Other Thoughts: This is a nifty little course tucked away in a suburban neighborhood in sunny Corona, California. It is set in a multi-use park alongside a playground, running track and other amenities. If I lived near here, this course would scratch the putting and up-shot itch, but would most likely leave me wanting to play an additional course where I can stretch my arm to get the full DG experience.

The park is incredibly clean, despite not having many trash cans around. The lack of elevation change makes this course nice for a relaxing stroll.

River Walk is an ideal course to take the family as there is something for everyone and a place for you to practice putting and up-shots, but if you are seeking hole design variety and you like to use your drivers more, you will be much better off hitting up Prado Dam, which is pretty close to River Walk

Need a break from I-15?

1    10/11/2009   10/12/2009
Review By: Rizbee
Pros: Giant tees (largest tee length-to-hole distance ratio I've ever seen), some with rock-festooned seating walls. Easy to navigate, well maintained.
Cons: Entire surface is cypress mulch, which can make footing treacherous on the side hills, and most of the course is side-hill lies. Very few trees - only on two holes, so shots are all pretty straight-away. Links-style layout with fairways going opposite ways very close, so keep your eyes and ears open if others are playing.
Other Thoughts: Great course for new players and kids. Hopefully kids from high school across the street will be introduced to the game? Very good use of an otherwise unuseable strip of land.

1    9/10/2009   9/12/2009
Review By: Lhana
Pros: The course is fun for practice, short and fun. The wind factor in the evening is a little challenging.I like the tee off, shows distance and huge number showing the basket your on. Easy to spot baskets and they catch discs very well.
Cons: I dot like that its all wood chips. Next to backyards, so if the wind catches it you could have a problem. The drinking fountain just past the gazebo shoots you in the face at first, so stand back and let is spray for a second.
Other Thoughts: A fun course close to home.

Awesome tee pads

1    8/27/2009   8/28/2009
Review By: coast2coast
This review was updated on 4/11/2010
Pros: Free course with the nicest concrete tees I have ever seen. The tees are huge and each one provides hole # and distance etched in the concrete. Some are partially surrounded by stone walls. Easy to navigate and all the baskets can be seen from the tee. Very pleasant little park that was completely empty when I was there.
Cons: Only seven very short holes. Hot and windy in the afternoon. Not a lot of shade.
Other Thoughts: Not a destination course, but well worth checking out just to see those great tees.

short but fun

1    8/12/2009   8/17/2009
Review By: steveo
Pros: FREE
and, no one was playing
Cons: As others have stated there are not many obstacles and some of the holes are very short. Their are some prickly and thick bushes between the greens and the homes.
Other Thoughts: Played the course in the late afternoon when the wind was picking up, it made things interesting. I had a good time at a good price, but would not drive an extended disk to play.