Ashland, KY
Armco Park - Blue Course Share
Uploaded By: adam423 Hole #11 (Taken 6/2009)
Hole #11 Short Tee

< Prev 1 2 3
These hills are alive (& might eat you up!)

1    6/28/2014   6/28/2014
Review By: sisyphus
Pros: When our girls were quite a bit younger, they'd hear a promo for 'The Sound of Music', the older would grin, and ask, "The hills are ALIVE?" The younger would sometimes get a little frightened at the idea. Well, the Blue course at Armco Park could appeal to you in either of those two ways.

There is no way the pictures on here can present to you the sheer scale of elevations you will encounter on this course. Almost every hole plays down (yay!) or up (ugh!) 60 feet or more in elevation (so I really enjoyed just about half of them, even though we played short tees to long baskets for the inaugural Oil City Classic today). If you venture here, to this part of the country, you will learn a thing or two about playing smart with uphill and downhill lines through park trees, and very forgiving (to no) underbrush.

There are two sets of tee pads and two basket positions for every hole. If you are looking for variety, trees to force a massive choice of lines to the the best landing zone, then the basket, and enormous replayability, you've found it.

With holes ranging from 318' to 718' (in the longer basket positions…see scorecard: somebody has a fondness for the number eight!) this course is a competition level Johnny Sias challenge, nicely placed in a large, wooded, community park, with bathrooms, water fountains, shelters, decent parking and great maintenance. The blue DisCatcher baskets catch great (you'll appreciate the deeper baskets on this model saving you from bounce out, rollaway putts). Tee signs are great, and there are occasional 'next tee' and 'mando' signs. The concrete tees are adequately sized for the distances involved (see below), and this course will present challenges to the competitive disc golfer from Intermediate and up. Folks at Recreational to casual will be sorely tested.
Cons: The aforementioned tee pads were cast above grade, and too often follow the slope of the ground, rather than having been landscaped level and flush with the ground, leading to some awkward run-ups.

In the long basket positions, there are some times when you will be crossing the one-way park drive, and need to keep an eye out for cars and pedestrians. There are some places where folks using the park shelters might be parking a bit too close to the course's lines of flight.

Finally, the only other con I have is a personal preference, more than anything, in that you'll occasionally have a relatively long walk to your next tee, have to climb an extra hill, and possibly get a little lost/ confused the first time you play here. Good: bring a map. Better: play with a local guide the first time. (An aside: my crappy car Navigation system couldn't find the park! Go south out of Ashland about 6 miles on route 60, & look for the tank, cannon, sign, then the police barracks on your right, turn right, then right into the park).
Other Thoughts: This is a brutal, hilly course if you're not in decent shape for it. You will fatigue & potentially dehydrate, especially in the summer, so pack in some extra fluids, take your time and enjoy the challenge with a grin. Or avoid it, if you fear the Hills being ALIVE!

Liked white course better

1    5/28/2014   5/30/2014
Review By: Chickenwing
Pros: If you like to throw long this is your course. You have to avoid trees and ditches but for the most part there are open lines to advance to the basket. Tees baskets fairways and all were in very good shape. Good exercise going up and down and sideways on the hills.
Cons: Seemed like most of the holes were the same. Throw long and try to stay out of the ditches. The shorter tees did not offer enough distance help for shorter throwers like me.
Other Thoughts: White course is more technical and more variety. Distance was also more manageable for me who typically throws 175' or so off the tee.

You won't belive the shots in this small park

1    5/20/2014   5/22/2014
Review By: blazerico
Pros: Wow, just wow. This place looked good in the pictures, but I was still hesitant when I arrived at what I thought was a small park. They packed a lot of stuff into this space and it works well. There were some amazingly fun, long holes here that were great for airing it out or downhill rollers! Definitely worth going out of your way to play at least once.
Cons: Signage was very sparse and was the only frustrating thing about this course. Also, I could imagine some problems with pedestrians, picnickers, kids on the multiple playgrounds etc. I was there on a Wednesday afternoon, so basically had the place to myself though.
Other Thoughts: After I figured out what was going on, I had a great time. I was a little confused by two courses with two tees each...baskets and tees everywhere.

If I had only one course to play the rest of my life.... this would be it.

5+    4/8/2014   4/8/2014
Review By: goosefraba1
This review was updated on 6/23/2014
Pros: It is not often that I would rate a course 5/5. This, however, this is the one. I brag on this course everywhere that I go. Not sure that there will ever be another one quite like it. Where to start?

ELEVATION! It must be the kid in me that loves to throw a disc down a giant hill. Right off the bat, hole 1 gives you this awesome opportunity to just blast one. This is not without its own difficulty, though. There are old growth trees EVERYWHERE! Sure enough, you will try to have fun and throw that awesome downhiller only to slam into the first tree 100feet out. Did I mention the elevation? Uphill, downhill, sidehill, uphill again. This course is just relentless. It is a rarity to see a flat piece of land on this course. And, that makes me smile! Sure it is tiring.... but you are playing a Blue championship level course. Don't be a wuss! Enjoy the workout!

Distance.... there is plenty of distance to travel. Some holes play much longer than given.... others play shorter. Have you ever played disc golf before? This should be a no brainer... but your mind will forget.

TWO PADS FOR EVERY HOLE!!! Really. It is great to play a course with two sets of pads. Really, it is like this park has 72 (scratch that 74 holes now).

There is almost no brush on this course. It is like you are playing in a perfect forest. You really have to throw an errant shot to be in the thick stuff.

Routes... many of the holes offer more than 1 route to the basket by the very nature of this being a city park. Great way to work on your game.

Cons: I can't even think of a Con for this course honestly. The biggest con is that I didn't even know that disc golf existed when I used to live nearby.
Other Thoughts: This is really a great course.... it is well worth the trip to the area to play ARMCO Blue, White, Indian Rock, and Rotary park. Probably one of the better disc golf destinations in the region.

Longer Roller coaster ride that you can ride for free than any Roller Coaster ride that you'll have to pay over $50 (for a little 3 minute thrill) Armco DGC we're a couple hour thrill that all will enjoy. At least they should because it's all there :)

1    4/20/2013   4/29/2013
Review By: danhyzer
Pros: Just like sitting in the roller coaster car at the top of the hill, And as soon as you shot your initial drive you we're one one serious roller coaster ride. But far longer than any amusement park could ever offer. the first hole screamed down a very steep hill (478' from the short tee). You could see the basket plain as day, but you had to throw a very straight shot with some zip as the hole was way down yonder. I had a little trouble finding # 2, but it didn't take me to long. This hole is a long uphill hole (it's 278' from the short or as I will refer to as the white tees), but it played over 300'. Get your par and move on. # 3 @ 228' would seem to be an easy deuce hole, but beware of the steep slop that is to the right on this slanted fairway. I played this hole towards the left and left with a satisfying par (as it could of been worse, but at least I knew from looking downwards from that basket what was in store for me for any other shot that went way right on top of that hill. so it actually put things into a better perspective for me at least) # 4 was over 500' but with a mando, which took out my LHBH hyzer shot. and I paid for not being able to throw my drive to the left side of the fairway. But I understand why the club has this mando because of safety and because the club wants to have a good will policy for the neighboring homes that are adjacent to the park's property. but still a good hole despite the mando :) # 6 is 3 and a quarter (328') since I was playing this course before everything was in full bloom this hole wasn't as hard for me as it could be when everything is in full bloom. # 7 I loved, one of my favorite holes on the course. 358' slight downhill fairway, but with road danger to the left and the basket perched up top of a natural mound spelled "I love this hole" over and over. If I didn't run of light I would of played this hole before I left the park I loved it so much :) # 8 is another great hole (even from the white tees). it's a shame that the tee pads weren't flush with the ground, but the hole itself had a lot of good challenge to it. the tee sign said 468', but it played liked 530 as again the designer used the topography to fit each hole to it's best potential. This hole had road OB to the left. a little gulley on the middle right of the fairway to where one wouldn't want to shoot their 2nd shot from because of the terrible footing one would have from the perspective area. This was a good par 4 hole IMO and a great hole especially paired right after # 7. # 9 I had a little trouble finding, maybe it was because I was running between most of my shots and at this course I would recommend to slow down and take your time playing unlike how I was playing. but # 9 at was a nice turnover drive for me and I got my par and was happy. #10 at 338' was a straight drive off the tee, easy par for me. #11 was scary as from the white tee one had to shoot a bullet drive through a grove of trees over the road and onto the fairway. I didn't execute this hole very well as my drive hit one of the first trees and I had to scramble from there to get a bogie. # 12 was another 370 something foot hole (as over half of the holes from the short tees are), from one's drive one could find trouble as they're we're plenty of trees staring you down. Good thing I'm friends with most trees and I somehow found a beautiful lefty hyzer way down towards the hole. where the basket was and where I was there was a little knoll. but I made an excellent putt and got an incredible birdie on this hole that most of the park probably heard from my enjoyment from my great putt. # 13 I don't remember to much about this hole as I was still smiling from the last hole and I was running these hills with a purpose. the purpose to play both courses before nightfall. But when I got to hole # 14 everything came to a stop, as they're was a couple getting it on about 3/4 up the fairway. I didn't want to interrupt as I know how hard it is to sometimes find the right spot to get it on at when the mood strikes. but there was a restroom real close to # 14's tee so I went in drained myself and then actually sat down and waited til the couple finished. But the couple didn't finish. and I knew that I needed to get past them, so I sorta went around them, not really attacking the fairway like I would of if no one was making love in the middle of the fairway. So I told them when I got close that I wasn't there to bother them, but they went up to their car and left before I got to the next tee. So on # 14 my score sucked, but so did that girl and ...... # 15 was a good hole for a lefty. to bad I didn't play like a lefty. but I parred it and went on to # 16 was 348' but played much longer and one had to be careful about the right side of the fairway. I played cautiously on the left side and got another bogie. # 17 @ 328' was on e of the more flatter terrain holes on the BLUE course. I got my par and went to # 18, which is straight all the way to uphill heaven. The tee sign said 328' but it played much longer and after running a good portion of the BLUE course i was in no hurry to run up this hill. I shot another bogie because I was tuckered out and needed a drink of water from the car. Great Course. I loved it and look forward to playing it again.
Cons: The tee pads we're kind of short (of my liking, as I got a long run up) and they weren't flush with the ground.

Tee signs weren't as descriptive as I've seen at other courses.

Not enough benches
Other Thoughts: From the very first hole I knew I was in for a treat. I choose to play the short tees (white), because I was running out of daylight and I wanted to play the other course that is adjacent to this course, but on the other side of the main hill and where one mostly parks (at their own risk, but there's a police station next to # 1, so I didn't worry as much as I would if I was in another park somewhere else).

I had only 3 discs (glow 170 sidewinder, 170 star valk and my putter) in my non throwing hand that I would be using for both of these courses as I knew from the climb up the hill when I drove in that I couldn't of played both courses carrying my bag of 12 discs and such.

The directions we're spot on, don't rely on a GPS though, rely on the directions that the club set forth to get you here from the interstate. I'd also watch your speed once you get off the interstate and are heading to the course I saw a couple people pulled over along the way.

There's an Ice Cream stand across the street from the entrance (though i didn't go there, maybe next time). Police Station at the same entrance to the park. Gas stations nearby (though I thought the gas prices we're kinda high considering Ashland being a major oil refinery town, as I paid .40 cents a gallon less in Louisville, Ky. that morning than I could of in Ashland. Plenty of rest rooms all over the park and plenty of trash receptacles allow this park to stay on the neat side. I loved it and look forward to playing it again.

GREAT COURSE, Hopefully next time I'll be able to bring a few friends with me.

Good course

1    8/29/2012   8/29/2012
Review By: lildragon
Pros: - Some great long holes for big arms
- Concrete tee pads
- Dual pin locations
- Dual tee pads
- Great use of the terrain
- There's a second course at the same park, the White Course, its much shorter tho.
- Signs only have distance and hole #
- Water spigots around the park if you want to use
- There's a Crispy Freeze? opposite the park entrance, great stop after a round for a cold drink or treat or something to eat
- Also a Speedway right as you make the turn to get to the park if you need to stop for water, etc...

Cons: - Could use more "Next Tee" signs than what they have, some holes get confusing
- Some of the tee pads aren't level
- No trash cans except in the parking area
- The tee signs could use pictures, it would help alot. I had to scout each hole first since the signs were inadequate and there were no scorecards/maps that I saw.
- No benches in the tee box areas
- 1st hole pin is kind of close to the main road entrance
Other Thoughts: A great destination course, glad I made the trek to come check it out. A great park,clean and well maintained, HUGE too. There's also a War Memorial there, as well as a Police substation, and several playgrounds and shelters.

Hills ‘n thrills

1    8/3/2012   8/8/2012
Review By: upfromtheashes
Pros:
-Water spigots around the park are AWESOME. When you finish a long hot summer round and you can wash off the sweat and dirt at a handy water spigot nearby, you leave happy.

-Good length on course, with 6 holes over 500 ft. Fun to let em rip.

-Made good use of topography, hole design didn't feel repetitive.

-High quality DISCatcher baskets.

-The park it's located in was attractive and looked to be well maintained.

-Concrete teepads were of good size, and while not completely level, were more level than the White course.

-Signs on each hole indicating distance/par.
Cons:
-The signs have no map on them, and a number of the pins are not readily visible from the tees. We had to go hiking several times to find where to aim.

- This is one of the hillier courses I've ever played, and it's long. Some benches at the tees would be super. The course plays in and around several picnic areas that have seating, but you have to hike 50-75+ feet out of your way to reach a place to sit down.

-Several holes have pin placements within 10-20' of roads. This is undesirable for multiple reasons.

-No garbage cans at tees.
-Most of my biggest gripes about the White course are mitigated or absent from the Blue course. Luck isn't as big a factor, as all but a few holes have defined fairways, and likewise the pin placements are typically on more level ground, producing fewer roll-aways.

-The Blue is a better course than the White in just about every possible way. This is a course worth driving a couple of hours to play.

Very Beautiful Course

2-4    6/22/2012   7/18/2012
Review By: Disc Golf Dave
Pros: There is so much to love about this course. Built on the side of a mountain, it is gorgeous. The elevation changes are challenging without being too overwhelming. The park-like nature of the course keeps it from being too punitive while placing a good emphasis on and rewards good shot making. It's one of those courses where you just love to see the disc fly.
Other Thoughts: This is a special jewel. I love the enormous trees. It gives you a feel of getting away from it all. I met some very friendly players who made me feel welcome there. Ashland has a small town feel to it.

5+    1/24/2012   1/25/2012
Review By: jaybob
Pros: Very nice well maintained public park. Numerous water spigots and bathroom facilities(seasonal).Garbage cans in numerous places. Various elevation changes and variety. Trees on every hole force you to throw long and accurately. Innova discatcher targets in new condition.
Cons: Multiuse park adds some conflict with other users but is very minimal.
Other Thoughts: Very beautiful and fun place to spend a couple hours. Of the courses I've played I have seen nothing that I would say is outright better. Some courses I would say are comperable but nothing outright better.

Loved It

1    7/12/2011   7/23/2011
Review By: Crooow
Pros: Easy to find; convenient parking; easy to navigate; multiple tee pads; water spigots all around the park; beautiful park; free to play; baskets in good condition; very interesting layout on some holes; a very nice way to have long air it out holes that are not just open fields. Can bring less enthusiastic people and dump them on the White course.
Cons: In a couple of cases, it seemed like there was length for length's sake. Some holes are close to trouble (roads, other park facilities) that affected me more than pure obstacles (trees, OB, water,underbrush) would. Even with the map, there were a few navigational difficulties.
Other Thoughts: The heat index was 106 on the day I played and I really appreciated having the water spigots around so I only had to carry one water bottle. Loved having the white course here as a warmup to this course.

< Prev 1 2 3