Forest City, IA
Forest City DGC Share
Uploaded By: dsmeyer Hole #17 (Taken 6/2009)
3 / 170ft.   3 / 290ft.   3 / 290ft.   3 / -- Par / Distance:

- concrete tees
- Multiple tees available
- Varied terrain
- Interesting shots
Cons: - Tee signage could be bigger and more descriptive.
- Some annoying hikes between some holes.
- Parking?
Other Thoughts: Driving up to the first tee, I was faced with the uncertainty of 1) where I was supposed to park, and 2) where the first tee actually was. The course starts from an RV camping area and parking for visitors seems to be anywhere along the gravel road. The first tee was not well marked as it is actually on a bike path that runs through the park. The tee is marked by a short length of 4x4 wood post with a small picture depicting the hole as viewed from the tee. All the other tees are concrete pads that are sufficiently sized.

The course is located on a piece of property with two different personalities. The first 10 holes travel along a fairly open and flat track. Several mature trees and some water features add challenge, but the real challenge is the length of these holes and you are encouraged to air it out in several places.

The other 11 holes are across the river in a more hilly and wooded area. These holes are more short and technical and adequately challenge the player with varied routes to the holes.

The course is well-maintained. The first-time visitor to the course might have some trouble navigating the course in places. The first tee had a place where course maps would be found, but there were none when I was there. There are a couple of long-ish hikes between holes and one where you need to cross a bridge and back again to play the hole (long tee). The front side had probably too many holes in the 330-350' range.

Overall, I liked the course despite a couple of annoyances. It's well worth a trip over from I-35 if you happen to be traveling that way.

2 different courses

1    7/19/2012   7/22/2012
Review By: iblanchard
Pros: Had scorecards with a map at hole one.
Easy to follow, the holes that have a little walk have signs with directions
1-3 tee pads per hole
Good use of water
Weeds in the woods are a little thick, but much is beaten down so finding a disc isnt too difficult.
Good variety of holes, open, few trees and in the woods.
Cons: Not all red and white tees were concrete
Signs clearly indicate hole and tee, but a map would be nice and not all distances are legible.
I almost parked by hole 4 then realized I had to drive deeper into the park
Not a big fan of ballfield obstacles.
Other Thoughts: Pretty good course. If I'm in the area and have time I will try to play it again.
Even though water is in play, there is usually a safe shot (except on 9 where there is water left long and short, almost plays like an island off of red and white tees).
You need to cross the bridge after 10.
I didnt see the river on hole 21 due to trees, but it was closer then I thought with a sharp drop off after the tree line.

Very Nice

1    12/24/2011   12/25/2011
Review By: djschnabel
Pros: Very nice course set in a city park setting. Plays on both sides of the river.

There are a few water holes, and multiple tee pads allow you to play the round that suits your skill level. Nice cement tee pads that are plenty large.

A variety of ace runs, holes with elevation, bomber holes, and tight technical shots.
Cons: Some of the holes might play too closely to the ball fields and playground. I think it's hole 9, that plays from the long tees over a pond. The Teebox faces the pond, and we think it's direction should be modified to allow an easier choice of slot selection, so you can either shoot the gap to the right (thin line) instead of almost forcing you to throw a huge drive over the pond (350?). I think a circular tee pad here would be perfect. A small investment in signage would go a long ways to improving the flow of the course, as some longer holes leave you wondering, is that really the basket?
Other Thoughts: The signage issues are pretty nitpicky, as the course's flow is pretty intuitive. In my opinion, I would decrease the length of holes 5 and 10, to decrease the chance of an errant drive because somebodies trying to outthrow their disc. When we played, some distances are on the teepads in paint, some are written on the wooden posts in sharpie, and some are not written anywhere. Some of the holes are longer than what our great site says, for example, hole 20 is 485 from the blue tee. It looks as if hole one is getting a new nice landscaped putting area, so it's pretty obvious the course is in a state of advancement. If the course was closer to the freeway, I'd play it anytime that I drove past. As it is, I would make plans to play it, but I could see it getting bumped if time didn't allow. It took three of us about 2.5 hours to play, 20 minutes of that looking for a disc on hole 20 (we lost sight of it's flight path, so our bad).