Davidson, NC
Brackett's Bluff Share
Uploaded By: YonderScott Hole #1 (Taken 6/2009)

A 5-Star Backyard Course

1    6/27/2014   7/5/2014
Review By: DavidSauls
Pros: This has to be one of the greatest backyard courses ever. In a relatively small space---far too small for 18 individual holes---they've packed a ton of disc golf fun, and a few unforgettable shots.

The place is beautiful and peaceful; some pretty extreme elevation in a gorgeous hardwood forest. The amenities, and the work that's been done, are absolutely jaw-dropping.
Cons: Having made the best of an unfortunate situation, they've squeezed 18 holes in by overlapping them. It is, essentially, a 9-hole course where each hole has either two very different tees, or two pins in place from the same tee.

It's all wooded and pretty tight, not a con in itself unless it's not to your disc golf taste. Unfortunately, there are also a number of holes with trees in the fairway so that, the first 200' may be well-defined but the last part of the disc's flight is more prayer than technique.
Other Thoughts: I describe Brackett's Bluff as a "backyard course" because it's like that---a relatively small area with a lot of baskets and a lot of ways to throw to them. Except that it's the backyard course to beat all backyard courses.

Others have mentioned the clubhouse, and it is impressive.....unless, of course, hanging around is not what you're looking for in a disc golf course.

There is absolutely no way you can play this course and not be overwhelmed with appreciation for what they've built, and the obvious time and effort that have gone into the tees, fences, retaining walls, decorative items, clubhouse, and the rest.

Boulder Bluff

1    4/20/2014   4/25/2014
Review By: sidewinder22
Pros: Private course with 18 holes over some great terrain, ravine and steep elevation through mostly woods with nice brick paver tees and Discatcher baskets. Some great basket positions with a couple par 4s. Nice benches and protective fences near the tees and baskets that play close to other holes. Ladders and steps to help traverse the terrain. Neatly manicured property. Nice unique course features like a tiny water fall, small pond, trampoline, and a massive boulder with a basket on top. Some lights for night golf. Club house, pro shop, and vending machines. Primitive camping available.
Cons: Overlapping layout with a few crossing fairways and several holes using the same tee or basket.
Other Thoughts: It really is unfortunate what happened with the previous course design(s) and the land dispute because I could easily see why people gave this course 5 disc rating when that land was previously playable. This course page should probably be RIP'ed as an extinct layout and have a new page for reviews since the major redesign. Despite that, this course is still one heck of a course with some of the more memorable holes in the Charlotte area. Definitely a course to check out if you like a chill atmosphere and playing some unique holes over steep elevation and woods.

Something Beautiful

2-4    1/4/2014   1/4/2014
Review By: Bennybennybenny
This review was updated on 1/6/2014
Pros: -Well, well, well! Brackett's Bluff is an extremely unique and fun place to play. You don't have any idea what it's like until you get there. I did the tournament up here and really saw the most interesting basket positions. There is a basket in a man made creek that's on brick. I guess it's hole 20's long position. Some extreme elevation (not kidding). Hole 21 is a severe uphill dogleg right par 4. It's literally one of the coolest drives I have ever seen.
-In the world. We don't have many courses like this one. There are usually not 20' rock baskets or a hanging basket with the post 15' over the ground in the middle of a ravine. In a park, you got maybe a couple really interesting basket locations and some good elevation. This will leave you wanting more! The elevation is one of the greatest features. The course has some REALLY cool features.
-There is a clubhouse. It has a lot of discs a good variety of them. A TV to watch football, and at the tournament, I had a lot of people to talk to. I got to meet Michael Johansen! He's one of the nicest guys you could know! He won the tournament, I'm sure anyone would know that he shot -4 and believe me, this course can get impenetrable before you can say "OUCH." I got 5th in the intermediate division with a +11 score. There were 15 intermediates.
-I love the holes that are really close to the house. #10 is a cool tight 270' shot over a man made creek. Oh, and avoid the house. #11 will make or break you here, it's an uphill dogleg right on the rock green. It's REALLY tough. #12 is out of the woods (nearly steep uphill shot) and goes to the right. #20 is a shorty that goes back to the rock green. It's 245' feet and straight downhill but real easy to pass. #21 is basically a long tee for #12. It plays extreme uphill!
-Place has plenty of props other than hanging baskets. #1 is a dogleg left and there is a fallen trampoline that you can hit. It's facing the basket so that would be a nice shot I'd take all day and many other things I should not give away.
-I love how the tee pads are textured. Very well made by brick. There are some trash cans and benches on every hole. This is a serious hike! My legs hurt!
-25 ft elevation changes are just a regular hole. Hole 5 can be played as a short drop shot. It's 140 feet long and straight downhill but has the defense it needs. If you go just a little bit right, or hit a tree, the disc will just ricochet down the huge hill. I liked this hole because it is a great birdie attempt but can be a bane. Dave Brackett never wants to know a hole with no elevation because every hole here does.
-Hanging practice basket by the house around hole 12/21 and 13's tee.
-The wooden wall in between hole 2/14 and 9/19 is a super cool feature as well.
-The man made creeks on 10 and 11 are awesome.
Cons: -Well. As unique as this course is, it can be a little too crazy. I just can't stand #4. Just for one reason, the island green rule. You have to go over the road and if you don't, you re-tee and add a stroke penalty. It's ridiculous. The hole is uphill so my discs literally rolled off it then back down. I got a 6 on this hole. I think the hanging basket on #16 is also a little silly. It's almost 10' above my head. It cost me 2 strokes because I chained out for par. I threw up on the side of the ravine for 5 then made the double bogey but there was a 17 on this hole. It's just silly. If you are wondering how you can get it out, there is a net below the basket, when it goes in, it goes straight down.
-A couple of crossing fairways and several shared baskets. There are 12 baskets and 21 holes here. The features kinda condone this problem because it really didn't bother me. I mean, you play the rock basket twice! I know I didn't particularly care but this is a heads up just in case you don't like it when baskets are shared.
-#13's tee is directly in front of a power tower. This is definitely a feature that is hard to avoid. I think after 11, there should be an easy dropshot hole on the tee pad on the old course and the hole goes straight down to the basket in the water. Sure the fariways will cross but plenty do anyway. #12 could be #13 and we just move on to the actual 14th hole. The actual #13 just isn't a great hole.
-14's approach shot is pinball. A couple removed trees would be great!
-This is just a caution not a con. You'll land on different fairways if you are not careful.
Other Thoughts: -I enjoyed playing this course. It's not anything like a course at a park. This is one of the most unique disc golf experiences a player can have, maybe the most unique in NC. Not the VERY best but definitely the most unique and one of the best. Holes 8, 19 and 21 are just long tees for 18, 9 and 12 but are just as fun either way. There were only two holes I wasn't very satisfied with but they are still interesting nevertheless. A lot of people love #16, the hanging basket hole. I personally thought it was cool but also wildly crazy. The rock green was a great feature though! It was very crazy but I wouldn't say a death putt.
-Dave and Josh Brackett are such great guys who do an amazing job with this course. I enjoyed meeting them and they really put the work into making a destination course like this. This is a place that never gets old!
-My favorite hole was #10. It's a tight hole that goes into the woods by the house with a man made creek in play with the basket 30' past it.
-Send me a PM if this isn't enough for you.

Go for the Night Golf!

1    11/7/2013   11/12/2013
Review By: forehandfranz
Pros: Brackett's is a great disc golf experience with an outstanding course and clubhouse atmosphere. The course itself is primarily tight wooded fairways with elevation changes on most. The designer, Dave Brackett likes to have fun, and lives disc golf - this course is a testament to his obsession. Hole #1 is the first indicator - the fairway is a sharp dogleg left, and at this dogleg is a trampoline on edge waiting to deflect your disc toward the pin. The other two holes that really stand out are "The Bastard Hole" (where the pin is perched upon a giant boulder, where a layup approach is the smart play), and "The Condom Hole" (where the basket hangs about 15' with netting hanging below it to deliver your disc upon a successful putt. When lit at night the netting looks like a condom).

The course is all technical, with tight and short and lacks the length and variety to make it championship caliber of former fame - HOWEVER - this is by all means is no reason to avoid this wonderful course. It will challenge you, your patience, your accuracy, and course management skills. There are a few par fours. If you shank your drive, you will have often struggle to make par.

The Amenities: course is meticulously maintained - no underbrush, fences divide and protect players on opposing fairways, has stairs, bridges and other features abound (including a couple man-made ponds). The tee pads are made of pavers and are quite grippy and nice. Everything is clean.
They have built a clubhouse with a deck, a bar, and a modest selection of discs for sale.
NIGHT GOLF - this is one of the only courses I have played that has full time electric light on all the holes (Tiki Course at Blockhouse is the other). If you love night golf, you will be impressed.
Friendliness - I really felt welcomed by Dave and his friends and family.
Cons: It's a moot point now, but this course now lacks holes where you can unwind for distance (see other reviews about this courses history about the land dispute). It holds the course back from being fully 3-dimensional, but it is not the designer's fault, as he has utilized the land's positive features.
This is minor- but a couple tee pads could have been a bit longer.
Other Thoughts: The only time I played this course was about 2/3 in the dark, so I will want to play again to get the full picture. I do recommend a headlamp or flashlight in the dark - there are some dangerous places (gullies, steep stairs) to step off if you are unaware!

Non-Members must now pay $5, so bring yer cash.

I felt honored that Dave, the owner, went out and played with me. I would have had a bit of trouble finding my way around in the dark for a first-timer!

This course alone would get a 3.5 from me, but the night setup and other amenities bumps it another 0.5.

Brackets Bust

1    11/8/2013   11/8/2013
Review By: Bergman Bomber
Pros: Bracketts Bluff is probably the most well maintained course I have ever played on, and I appreciate that as a disc golfer. Most every hole is played in the woods so get ready to get your accuracy game on. There are many holes that make you shoot in between two trees or go around one main tree which can be a lot of fun or make for a long day. It tests your elevation game as well with a lot of uphill tees shots. But probably my favorite thing about Bracketts is the absolutely creative pins. The coolest one I think is the hanging basket. Literally a pin hanging 30 feet over a gully and no bottom to the cage and a 20 foot net drops your disc down to you. So cool. And right before that they have to pin on top of humungous bolder. Two very cool pin locations. And the sideways trampoline on hole 1 is very creative. I usually hate 90 degree holes but when you can bounce it off a trampoline that makes it really fun. Being a private course I do like that they have a pro shop, so bring your wallet. Every hole has very nice benches and even a broom to brush off the tee boxes which I thought was an awesome touch.
Cons: The main reason I gave Bracketts only a 3.5 is that I guess I was expecting a little more. Which is not there fault but for one, they just changed the price from 3 dollars to 5. Which again is not to bad, but just expected more than what I got for 5 bucks. A high majority of all the holes use either the same pin or same tee box, which I am not a fan of. All though there are signs to the next hole, if your playing without a veteran of the course it can be a bit difficult to navigate. The pro shop is not much, maybe a half wall, mostly Innova but hey, at least they have one. And last but certainly not least, I would have not known where this course is if my buddy would not have talked to someone who had played there before. The address DGCR gives gets you close but you need to go down a very "unlikely to be disc golf course" driveway on the east side of Shearer Rd. Which the big yellow rock is almost not yellow any more and its probably the size of a basket ball, and you follow the driveway all the way to Mr. Bracketts house and the Pro Shop "Shed" is to the right. I may have just had this vision that the course was more than it actually is.
Other Thoughts: Not to take anything away from this great disc golf course. It is a well, and I mean well maintained course with very unique holes, but I don't know if it deserves a 4.5 Average rating. It has its great things and a lot of potential and Dave Brackett and the Brackett family do an absolutely phenomenal job on the up keep of this park but I feel there can be more. I don't know if it is from the recent layout change but I am not a fan at all of sharing pins and tee boxes but you got gotta do what you gotta do. I just see it hard for me to play it more than 20 times a year to get my moneys worth for a season pass, especially when the Charlotte area is littered with Grade A disc golf courses. But its defiantly worth even the 5 bucks every now and then.

The new Brackett's Bluff: When doves cry

2-4    10/19/2013   10/28/2013
Review By: heelboycraig
Pros: Bracketts's Bluff is a major conundrum. The current, overhauled course is a great one with some great holes, including new ones that didn't exist before. If you never played the old, epic layout, you'll never know what's missing. But, for fans of the old layout, oh how it feels like there's a major void.
- When it comes down it, this course has that 'it' factor of offering both a tremendous fun factor and plenty of challenge. There are parts of this course where you feel like you could be in the mountains (look around you while standing on the tee at #11) or deep in the woods, rather than being on the outskirts of a metropolitan area.
- That said, you have to love how Brackett's is a disc golf scene. How many other people do you know who have built a clubhouse for their course on their property? Intentional or not, after the nature preserve fiasco, I like how the Brackett family ratcheted up their efforts to make this even more so of a disc golf scene. We don't need no stinking' nature preserve for our course.
- There are some great holes here, with plenty of challenging layouts throughout the entire round. There are 21 holes in total, with some layouts being used twice. A couple of these duplicates could be eliminated (more about that in the cons) if you wanted to eliminate the weak links.
- That said, you've got some great elevation layouts, the best by far in Mecklenburg County, even better than Robert L. Smith. I loved the uphill/downhill combo of #4 & 5. #3 has always been an amazing hole, being a survivor from the original layout. Both layouts for the Rock hole (#11 & 20) are awesome. These holes can leave you with one of the most daunting putts anywhere, with the big drop-off right behind the basket. And the closing hole (#21) has an intimidating looking tee-shot, followed by a lovely stroll straight up the hill towards the basket. This is a steep uphill shot, which reminds me a lot of #14 at Ashe County in Jefferson.
- Overall course quality. The upkeep here is amazing. This is where the public vs. private debate is completely one-sided. Most public courses won't get anywhere close to the TLC that Brackett's gets. There are trashcans, benches, even brooms on many holes. Tee pads are in great shape as well. For a course having holes playing so close together, it was actually very easy to navigate the layout. The course essentially is a very rough looking, very uneven figure 8 layout, which you play through twice.
- Course puts a big emphasis on accuracy. There are no big-arm, open holes here. There are longer holes (350 feet plus) or uphill holes that play long, but even on these, if you're not accurate with your tee shot, a big arm won't matter. With the accuracy emphasis, there's plenty of risk/reward going on here, especially with some strategically placed baskets.
Cons: I'm not going to rant about the whole Nature Preserve dispute that led to the redesign. If you don't know what happened, it's a moot point. If you are in the know, you know a ton more than I do. Whatever happened, the end result is that the course got knocked down a peg or two in its overall quality level. You lose that much land, and nearly half of your holes, there are going to be some consequences. To the credit of Dave & company, there's still a great course here, with just a few flaws. I will not focus on the holes that were lost, rather point out a few concerns with the existing layout.
- A couple of the duplicate holes could be done without. #2 & 14, 8 &18 and 9 & 19 are all essentially the same hole with only a slight variance: 2/14 play from same tee to a baskets that are 50 feet apart. 8/18 is different in that #8 is teeing from a higher up a hill, but both end up playing straight ahead to the same basket. 9/19 have tee pads 25 feet apart to the same basket. One simple way to remedy this repetitiveness is to create a safari-esque hole, teeing off #18's tee to the basket for 9/19. That gives you one long hole with a completely different look. Oh, and just eliminate #14 altogether. By doing this you now have 19 holes instead of 21, but I think this is a case of less is more. Other holes share a basket but they offer such variety, they are two different holes.
- There's little to no penalty here for playing safe/boring. Without any long holes, one could realistically throw play the whole round with only a midrange disc/putter and still see par on every hole. If you throw straight/accurate and 225 - 250 off the tee on every hole, you're going to see 3s on every hole. I feel the elite courses force players to pull out every type of shot/disc in a round. That's one of, if not the only, thing missing here.
- With the course being so tight, it's very easy to throw onto other holes, or into other groups. When this course is crowded, you'll have to keep an eye on other holes as well.
Other Thoughts: Here's my thought about the Nature Preserve land dispute. Regardless of the cause, it's a shame some great land is now going to waste. What was once well maintained green areas have become unkempt fields with tall grass. This land was once enjoyed by many, now the government website boldly proclaims "AT THIS TIME THIS NATURE PRESERVE IS CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC." It might just be me, but that seems like somebody (or elected somebodies) missed the boat on this one. Not the most efficient use of government land and money.
- Even with overlapping holes/baskets, I'm not sure how they squeezed 21 holes into this land. It's a true testament to some people with quality eyes to use every inch of land and create this many great holes.
- With that said, the redesign produced my favorite one the course: #16. It's one of the longer holes, a true par 4 that includes all aspects of the Bluff: woods, elevation, drop-offs, a risk/reward factor, and attention to detail. A well placed tee shot on this hole will result in a second shot to a basket protected by a ravine in front. End up in the ravine and you get to enjoy climbing up the ladder after a straight-up shot. A three is a real possibility at this hole, as is the chance for a possible blow up score with one bad shot.
- There is a lot to like at the Bluff. The old layout was in easily in the top 5 courses I've played. The new layout can't match that elite level. The course now is now very comparable to Glenn Hilton and Robert L. Smith, with the Bluff being the best of all three.
- It's still a must-play for anyone nearby. And whatever this course can't offer, you can get with a solid 1-2 punch while playing at Bradford afterwards. Or, if the clubhouse ever got a tap added, you might never leave this place.

Very tight but awesome

1    9/2/2013   9/3/2013
Review By: luckless_pedestrian
Pros: The best maintained course you'll come across. No thorns to worry about and you'll have to work really hard to lose a disc.

It's just a beautiful place, plain and simple.

Unique touches like the trampoline on #1 make it really fun.
Cons: The compact layout feels like too many holes are crammed in too small an area. A couple of holes get repeated. You would think that after playing hole 2 that when it came around again as 14 that I'd be better at it, but no. I'm sad I didn't get to see it before they had to redesign it. I bet it was awesome.
Other Thoughts: My opinion of #11 (top of the rock) would be different if I had been able to make one lousy shot. That was a low point of my day... but a unique, really cool hole that I can't wait to get back to.

This course could be the Comet of disc golf courses. When you do it wrong, it tells you. I am apparently not as good at this game as I thought I was.

One of a Kind

1    7/19/2013   7/24/2013
Review By: reposado
This review was updated on 11/4/2013
Pros: I'm not sure if any course I've played has done as good a job as Brackett's Bluff at producing an atmosphere. The landscape and construction blend seemlessly to create a very distinct, almost Wonderland feel to the course. It's very close knit, with hole separated just enough so that each has a unique fairway. The paths between holes are nicely laid out with fallen branches as guidelines. Each hole has superfluous seating. (At the 18th tee, there is room for at least 25 spectators, who will share a view of three separate tees. Everywhere, there is is stuff. Ladders for climbing down into ravines after a misfire, shields guarding teeboxes, huge rocks on which bakets might be placed, small water hazards filled with decorative fish.

So right, then there's the actual disc golf. It's um, pretty amazing. It's a wooded course, so most lines are pretty tight. The lines are all there if you can hit them though; there isn't a dud fairway in the bunch. Combine that with an astounding amount of elevation for such a small area. You shoot up, you shoot down, and you shoot over ravines(hopefully.) The ravines are actually my favorite part of the course. Like miniature versions of river valleys, they punctuate the course, often adding quite a bit of challenge. But don't worry about losing anything, underbrush is non-existent on this perfectly maintained course.

I love to see a course that essentially, has a mission. Brackett's Bluff knew what it wanted to be, and it was near perfect in achieving that.
Cons: There's not a ton of land here. The holes are all packed together pretty tightly, and from most tees, you can see at least two other tees. Fortunately shields protect all would-be danger zones from errant shots. In a way, the closeness of the course actually adds to the flavor, so what would be a con elsewhere isn't as much of an issue here.

In the same way, the lack of variation in the holes isn't a a true con here. Now they do require a multitude of shots here, but there is a similar feel to all of them and there isn't much length. However, introducing a different type of hole would ruin the effect.

The only true con, for me, is the reuse of a few of the holes. for example. 3 and 14 are the same hole. 4 is also 15. This preserves the amazing flow of hole to hole, but if it was ever crowded, I could see this being an issue. And objectively, I want to play 18, not 16 and a few repeats.
Other Thoughts: My favorite course on a recent swing through Charlotte's best. The only one I'd be eager to take another chance at.

ETA: and i forgot to mention, while I'm not usually concerned with tees, the brick paver tees here are the best I've seen. Plenty of space and shape and the material is both perfect, and unique to an already unique course.

1    5/30/2013   5/30/2013
Review By: Usdrummer72
Pros: Atmosphere! This is one of the 18 courses we hit on a 6 day disc golf road trip, and definitely one of the most memorable. The course itself provides a great variety of challenging shots with major elevation changes through the woods. The scenery is amazing around the course with huge rocks, gorges, trees, squirrels, and other wildlife. The tee pads are the best I have seen made from brick pavers and are very generous in size. There are benches at all tee pads. There is a nice pro shop with a good selection of plastic, snacks, and glow gear. Every basket has a dedicated nightlight for glow golf. The course is very clean. On top of all that, this is the ultimate disc golf atmosphere with people hanging out at the pro shop watching sports on the TV, throwing rollers to a ramp that points at the practice basket, and throwing thru a sideways basketball hoop. The course owners are true disc golf lovers, and they live to share the game they love. If you are in the area, stop by this course!
Cons: The biggest con is only a con if you are out of shape. There are a lot of elevation changes throughout the course, so be prepared for a lot of up and down hills. This is tree heavy course, so bring durable plastic, because hitting trees is almost inevitable.
Other Thoughts: Thank you to Mr. Brackett and his family for the hospitality and great stories you shared with our group on this year's Memorial Day weekend golf trip! I also had a gentleman call me about a disc I had lost at Renaissance over the weekend who informed me that Mr. Brackett is also seen frequenting other Charlotte courses to work on them for the local disc community on top of maintaining his private course. This family and course set such a great example for us to learn from and enjoy. Thank you!

Not perfect......but realy close

1    3/21/2013   3/31/2013
Review By: HEATER
Pros:

This was the first Charlotte course we played on a whirlwind 4 day 10 course road trip. What a way to first experience Charlotte golf.

As soon as you get out of your car you can tell this is a very very special place to a lot of discgolfers. Donated tee pads, DIY projects on just about every hole. Gardens and maintained ponds.

Meticulous condition. The course really is spotless, unless you count the gnomes and other trinkets all over the property.

There are great benches on every tee (I think?)

The best paver tee pads I have ever encountered. Perfectly flat and large.

All the personalized trinkets all over the place felt like you were in someones disc golf living room.

So many great holes it is hard to remember them all.

Amazing tight lines carved out of some really hilly scenic countryside. There are some raised baskets here and there.

Really fast and really really fun greens including one (that you get to play twice!) that is perched at the top of a massive rock outcrop that has to be 25+ feet on the front face of it.

Met a couple friendly locals who opened up the small pro shop for us. It was equipped with snacks and drinks with a small but very current and adequate selection of plastic. We were invited to play in the weekly doubles and we were treated like a local
Cons:
I think I liked Brackett's the most out of my 4 some but still had some minor complaints.

It seems like all of my cons are as a result of the recent redesign.

There are some really busy places on this course. Baskets and tee pads can be really close to each other in some spots.

There are some shared baskets on holes on the front and back nine

There is a hole that you play twice. I think it is 2 and 10 but I may be mistaken.

There wasn't signs on every hole, but we played pretty early in the season and would bet they are all out by now.

When we played there was only a handful of golfers on the course but I could see long waits on busier days/league nights

Other Thoughts: If I was local this is where I would be spending my time golfing, helping out, and just hanging out.

The property has such an amazing vibe to it. Every bit of a "Must play" as all the other heavyweights in Charlotte.

Don't forget to leave the owner some cash for the privilege of playing here.