Davidson, NC
Brackett's Bluff Share
Uploaded By: YonderScott Hole #3 (Taken 7/2009)
Hole #3 Mid-Fairway: Basket is up close to the driveway

Something Beautiful

2-4    1/4/2014   1/4/2014
Review By: Bennybennybenny
This review was updated on 1/6/2014
Pros: -Well, well, well! Brackett's Bluff is an extremely unique and fun place to play. You don't have any idea what it's like until you get there. I did the tournament up here and really saw the most interesting basket positions. There is a basket in a man made creek that's on brick. I guess it's hole 20's long position. Some extreme elevation (not kidding). Hole 21 is a severe uphill dogleg right par 4. It's literally one of the coolest drives I have ever seen.
-In the world. We don't have many courses like this one. There are usually not 20' rock baskets or a hanging basket with the post 15' over the ground in the middle of a ravine. In a park, you got maybe a couple really interesting basket locations and some good elevation. This will leave you wanting more! The elevation is one of the greatest features. The course has some REALLY cool features.
-There is a clubhouse. It has a lot of discs a good variety of them. A TV to watch football, and at the tournament, I had a lot of people to talk to. I got to meet Michael Johansen! He's one of the nicest guys you could know! He won the tournament, I'm sure anyone would know that he shot -4 and believe me, this course can get impenetrable before you can say "OUCH." I got 5th in the intermediate division with a +11 score. There were 15 intermediates.
-I love the holes that are really close to the house. #10 is a cool tight 270' shot over a man made creek. Oh, and avoid the house. #11 will make or break you here, it's an uphill dogleg right on the rock green. It's REALLY tough. #12 is out of the woods (nearly steep uphill shot) and goes to the right. #20 is a shorty that goes back to the rock green. It's 245' feet and straight downhill but real easy to pass. #21 is basically a long tee for #12. It plays extreme uphill!
-Place has plenty of props other than hanging baskets. #1 is a dogleg left and there is a fallen trampoline that you can hit. It's facing the basket so that would be a nice shot I'd take all day and many other things I should not give away.
-I love how the tee pads are textured. Very well made by brick. There are some trash cans and benches on every hole. This is a serious hike! My legs hurt!
-25 ft elevation changes are just a regular hole. Hole 5 can be played as a short drop shot. It's 140 feet long and straight downhill but has the defense it needs. If you go just a little bit right, or hit a tree, the disc will just ricochet down the huge hill. I liked this hole because it is a great birdie attempt but can be a bane. Dave Brackett never wants to know a hole with no elevation because every hole here does.
-Hanging practice basket by the house around hole 12/21 and 13's tee.
-The wooden wall in between hole 2/14 and 9/19 is a super cool feature as well.
-The man made creeks on 10 and 11 are awesome.
Cons: -Well. As unique as this course is, it can be a little too crazy. I just can't stand #4. Just for one reason, the island green rule. You have to go over the road and if you don't, you re-tee and add a stroke penalty. It's ridiculous. The hole is uphill so my discs literally rolled off it then back down. I got a 6 on this hole. I think the hanging basket on #16 is also a little silly. It's almost 10' above my head. It cost me 2 strokes because I chained out for par. I threw up on the side of the ravine for 5 then made the double bogey but there was a 17 on this hole. It's just silly. If you are wondering how you can get it out, there is a net below the basket, when it goes in, it goes straight down.
-A couple of crossing fairways and several shared baskets. There are 12 baskets and 21 holes here. The features kinda condone this problem because it really didn't bother me. I mean, you play the rock basket twice! I know I didn't particularly care but this is a heads up just in case you don't like it when baskets are shared.
-#13's tee is directly in front of a power tower. This is definitely a feature that is hard to avoid. I think after 11, there should be an easy dropshot hole on the tee pad on the old course and the hole goes straight down to the basket in the water. Sure the fariways will cross but plenty do anyway. #12 could be #13 and we just move on to the actual 14th hole. The actual #13 just isn't a great hole.
-14's approach shot is pinball. A couple removed trees would be great!
-This is just a caution not a con. You'll land on different fairways if you are not careful.
Other Thoughts: -I enjoyed playing this course. It's not anything like a course at a park. This is one of the most unique disc golf experiences a player can have, maybe the most unique in NC. Not the VERY best but definitely the most unique and one of the best. Holes 8, 19 and 21 are just long tees for 18, 9 and 12 but are just as fun either way. There were only two holes I wasn't very satisfied with but they are still interesting nevertheless. A lot of people love #16, the hanging basket hole. I personally thought it was cool but also wildly crazy. The rock green was a great feature though! It was very crazy but I wouldn't say a death putt.
-Dave and Josh Brackett are such great guys who do an amazing job with this course. I enjoyed meeting them and they really put the work into making a destination course like this. This is a place that never gets old!
-My favorite hole was #10. It's a tight hole that goes into the woods by the house with a man made creek in play with the basket 30' past it.
-Send me a PM if this isn't enough for you.

Go for the Night Golf!

1    11/7/2013   11/12/2013
Review By: forehandfranz
Pros: Brackett's is a great disc golf experience with an outstanding course and clubhouse atmosphere. The course itself is primarily tight wooded fairways with elevation changes on most. The designer, Dave Brackett likes to have fun, and lives disc golf - this course is a testament to his obsession. Hole #1 is the first indicator - the fairway is a sharp dogleg left, and at this dogleg is a trampoline on edge waiting to deflect your disc toward the pin. The other two holes that really stand out are "The Bastard Hole" (where the pin is perched upon a giant boulder, where a layup approach is the smart play), and "The Condom Hole" (where the basket hangs about 15' with netting hanging below it to deliver your disc upon a successful putt. When lit at night the netting looks like a condom).

The course is all technical, with tight and short and lacks the length and variety to make it championship caliber of former fame - HOWEVER - this is by all means is no reason to avoid this wonderful course. It will challenge you, your patience, your accuracy, and course management skills. There are a few par fours. If you shank your drive, you will have often struggle to make par.

The Amenities: course is meticulously maintained - no underbrush, fences divide and protect players on opposing fairways, has stairs, bridges and other features abound (including a couple man-made ponds). The tee pads are made of pavers and are quite grippy and nice. Everything is clean.
They have built a clubhouse with a deck, a bar, and a modest selection of discs for sale.
NIGHT GOLF - this is one of the only courses I have played that has full time electric light on all the holes (Tiki Course at Blockhouse is the other). If you love night golf, you will be impressed.
Friendliness - I really felt welcomed by Dave and his friends and family.
Cons: It's a moot point now, but this course now lacks holes where you can unwind for distance (see other reviews about this courses history about the land dispute). It holds the course back from being fully 3-dimensional, but it is not the designer's fault, as he has utilized the land's positive features.
This is minor- but a couple tee pads could have been a bit longer.
Other Thoughts: The only time I played this course was about 2/3 in the dark, so I will want to play again to get the full picture. I do recommend a headlamp or flashlight in the dark - there are some dangerous places (gullies, steep stairs) to step off if you are unaware!

Non-Members must now pay $5, so bring yer cash.

I felt honored that Dave, the owner, went out and played with me. I would have had a bit of trouble finding my way around in the dark for a first-timer!

This course alone would get a 3.5 from me, but the night setup and other amenities bumps it another 0.5.

Very tight but awesome

1    9/2/2013   9/3/2013
Review By: luckless_pedestrian
Pros: The best maintained course you'll come across. No thorns to worry about and you'll have to work really hard to lose a disc.

It's just a beautiful place, plain and simple.

Unique touches like the trampoline on #1 make it really fun.
Cons: The compact layout feels like too many holes are crammed in too small an area. A couple of holes get repeated. You would think that after playing hole 2 that when it came around again as 14 that I'd be better at it, but no. I'm sad I didn't get to see it before they had to redesign it. I bet it was awesome.
Other Thoughts: My opinion of #11 (top of the rock) would be different if I had been able to make one lousy shot. That was a low point of my day... but a unique, really cool hole that I can't wait to get back to.

This course could be the Comet of disc golf courses. When you do it wrong, it tells you. I am apparently not as good at this game as I thought I was.

One of a Kind

1    7/19/2013   7/24/2013
Review By: reposado
This review was updated on 11/4/2013
Pros: I'm not sure if any course I've played has done as good a job as Brackett's Bluff at producing an atmosphere. The landscape and construction blend seemlessly to create a very distinct, almost Wonderland feel to the course. It's very close knit, with hole separated just enough so that each has a unique fairway. The paths between holes are nicely laid out with fallen branches as guidelines. Each hole has superfluous seating. (At the 18th tee, there is room for at least 25 spectators, who will share a view of three separate tees. Everywhere, there is is stuff. Ladders for climbing down into ravines after a misfire, shields guarding teeboxes, huge rocks on which bakets might be placed, small water hazards filled with decorative fish.

So right, then there's the actual disc golf. It's um, pretty amazing. It's a wooded course, so most lines are pretty tight. The lines are all there if you can hit them though; there isn't a dud fairway in the bunch. Combine that with an astounding amount of elevation for such a small area. You shoot up, you shoot down, and you shoot over ravines(hopefully.) The ravines are actually my favorite part of the course. Like miniature versions of river valleys, they punctuate the course, often adding quite a bit of challenge. But don't worry about losing anything, underbrush is non-existent on this perfectly maintained course.

I love to see a course that essentially, has a mission. Brackett's Bluff knew what it wanted to be, and it was near perfect in achieving that.
Cons: There's not a ton of land here. The holes are all packed together pretty tightly, and from most tees, you can see at least two other tees. Fortunately shields protect all would-be danger zones from errant shots. In a way, the closeness of the course actually adds to the flavor, so what would be a con elsewhere isn't as much of an issue here.

In the same way, the lack of variation in the holes isn't a a true con here. Now they do require a multitude of shots here, but there is a similar feel to all of them and there isn't much length. However, introducing a different type of hole would ruin the effect.

The only true con, for me, is the reuse of a few of the holes. for example. 3 and 14 are the same hole. 4 is also 15. This preserves the amazing flow of hole to hole, but if it was ever crowded, I could see this being an issue. And objectively, I want to play 18, not 16 and a few repeats.
Other Thoughts: My favorite course on a recent swing through Charlotte's best. The only one I'd be eager to take another chance at.

ETA: and i forgot to mention, while I'm not usually concerned with tees, the brick paver tees here are the best I've seen. Plenty of space and shape and the material is both perfect, and unique to an already unique course.