Oswego, IL
Eagle Ridge/Civic Center Share

A course that has everything.

5+    5/17/2010   6/8/2010
Review By: Tyler J
Pros: -Great Variety of hole types
-Uses land well
-Good combo of Woods and Fields
-Challenging Pars
Cons: -Pro tees are natural, using yellow rocks instead of concrete tees like the amateur ones.
Other Thoughts: This is one of those courses that show how a disc golf course should be designed. This course has a great combination of holes, from woods and fields, hyzers and anhyzers, and long and short shots. This course really tests your ability to place your shots and ability to throw with accuracy. Plenty of risk/reward with this course. Played a tournament here a year ago. Definitely a favorite of mine. Worth a trip out there to play it. Also next to Jericho Lake, which I hear is another great course. Play Eagle Ridge and you will not be disappointed.

Disc Heaven Awaits Thee

5+    6/28/2009   6/21/2009
Review By: Rexdiscus
This review was updated on 6/28/2009
Pros: My title says it all. This course, along with Highland Park in Joliet, are my two favorites. I have to drive fifty-one miles to play here and it is well worth it. Those who do not play disc golf would enjoy hiking through this layout. It is so pleasing to the eyes.
It is not merely eye candy, though. The designer(s) took a cool nine-hole course and turned it into an eighteen- hole masterpiece (even if Dave242 does not think so). If you like a mix of right- turning and left-turning holes, this is the place. There is no extreme elevation changes like you find in the the Quad Cities area, but there is still enough variety in elevation to satisfy my palate. Trees and other vegetation abound. There are a few holes that allow you to let her rip (unless you throw over four hundred feet from the tee on a regular basis). A little bit of everything is to be found out here.
Cons: Hard to find any real cons. I guess the fence on hole three could be considered a minor con. I did come close to throwing it on the other side once, but that is not much of a con. If it were a pond instead, would we call it a con? Just look at the fence as another obstacle that adds to the variety. I keep hearing about the poison ivy, but I have had no problems with it and, believe me, I have had my share of throws fly into areas where poison ivy can thrive. I guess insects can be an issue at certain times of the year, but they are a part of nature.
Why didn't I give the course a rating of five? I have not seen anyone give a five and I have looked at hundreds of reviews, maybe thousands. They say nothing in life is perfect, so I guess that is why I did not give it a five. In a perfect world, I would not have to deal with flying pests and poison ivy. I would actually give the course a 4.8, but the rating system here does not work like that. For my own little system, I'll say a tenth of a point deduction for the bugs and a tenth for the threat of poison ivy. No deductions for the fence, however. That comes out to 4.8, which should round up to five, but I used new fuzzy math to make it 4.5. Let me know if you think I am full of it with my own rating system.
Other Thoughts: Crossing the old railroad tracks is like entering another dimension where all the world's problems and all troubling thoughts are left behind. I cannot wait to return to the blissful DGC in Oswego. If you make it out here, it is worth a little extra driving to hit up Jericho Lake. I think it is roughly five miles from the Civic Center. If you and a friend who is with you like tennis, go hit up the courts east of the pool. I did that once after playing two rounds here. Then I could not help myself and played a third round after the tennis. That alone must tell you how much I dig this course. Come try it out for yourself if you have not been here. You will have no regrets unless nothing in life pleases you. Like hoopster Vlade Divac used to say in his thick Serbo-Croation accent, "I love this game!"

Good times!

5+    10/19/2008   10/20/2008
Review By: njoyntheride
Pros: Amongst the best in the area. Very fun, pretty challenging, decent elevation. A must play if you're in town. Definitely in the Chicagoland top 5.
Cons: Not really any complaints. The only reason it's not a 5 is because of I'm comparing it to out of state courses.
Other Thoughts: Not as challenging as Summit, but better elevation changes. It's a favorite for sure.

The best in Chicagoland!

5+    9/20/2008   10/1/2008
Review By: krc1130
This review was updated on 7/12/2009
Pros: This is such a long, pretty course and is so great to play. There is such a variety in holes, and the elevation changes, though modest, are very nice for the area. Shorter and longer holes are mixed up, and there is a good variety of wooded and open holes...really something for every player. The practice basket is really neat, especially with the little point game added to it. Very fun addition. Throws need to be pretty tight on some shots, though there is a little room for error. The brush can get a little thick, but you can pretty much always find a disc. Tees are well marked, and unlike the previous reviewer, I had no problem navigating from hole to hole.
Cons: There are very few places to improve this course. I've seen the signs for poison ivy but didn't have any issues with it. Two sets of concrete tees on each hole would be a definite place to improve, though not a huge priority. In most cases, the tees are clear. Careful with your shot on the third hole, you might have to scale a fence to get your disc back if you're not (I've been close).
Other Thoughts: This course is a great use of the land there, and it provides a really, really fun disc golf experience. There aren't many bad things to say about the course...just walking up to it, you have no idea what lays ahead, but it is a truly great course. There were a lot of people playing when we were there, but the course never felt crowded. The baskets are spread out very well and this course has a great design. This is a must play in the Chicago area, for sure!