Oswego, IL
Hole #8 Future Pro Tee

Amazing Course

5+    8/30/2009   8/30/2009
Review By: Jusssstin
Pros: Mostly everything about this course is a pro. it has short technical holes and longer holes wher you can just bomb them. I live right down the street and this is my home course.
Cons: if you have a strat throw you are probably looking for a little while. other than that this course really has nothing wrong other than a few bugs after it rains
Other Thoughts: bring everything you got to master this course. does not favor lefties or righties.

Nice course

1    8/4/2009   8/5/2009
Review By: mashnut
This review was updated on 7/8/2010
Pros: The course plays through a park with rolling hills, and a mix of open space with scattered trees and brush, and wooded areas. The elevation is used well to force uphill and downhill control, and add some difficulty to the wooded holes. The open holes are pretty flat, but have brushy areas to punish errant drives, and well placed trees to take away some easy lines. The wooded holes force accuracy, and will punish shots that stray off line. The greens in the woods are nice and challenging, and add some fun challenges to putts.

There is a good mix of lengths on the course, from some open bombs, to short technical shots. There are definitely some ace runs, but not a whole lot of real gimmes on the course. There are two sets of tees per hole, and though I didn't have time to play the longs they looked like they changed the course quite a bit and added some fun challenge to the easier holes. There is a nice putting area by the first tee, along with a signboard with a course map and local information.

Each short tee had a signpost with a hole picture showing the hole location and long tee location along with distances for both tees. They were easy to read, and easy to see from a distance, making course navigation pretty easy overall. The short tees are currently a mix of crushed stone tees that were in nice shape, and brand new concrete tees (locals told me that the rest of the short tees will be concrete shortly, and they are working on the longs). The long tees were natural, but were well marked with bright yellow stones, and were level and not rutted.

The locals were out working on the course, and protecting the newly poured concrete tees. All were very friendly and helpful. Seems like a great group of people take care of the course, and their hard work really shows.
Cons: The course was pretty buggy when I played, so make sure you bring spray. There was also some poison ivy off some of the fairways, not a huge deal just make sure you keep an eye out for it. Some of the natural tees weren't in the best shape, though the club seems to be working hard on the tees and this should be resolved soon. I would like to see some signage on the long tees, otherwise players have to walk to the short tee to see the hole information, and they aren't always right together.

A couple holes play near or over a walking path, there were some times we had to wait for pedestrians to clear the holes. Otherwise, the area is just for disc golf though so it wasn't a big deal. This course is nice, and clearly well taken care of, it just didn't have holes with a lot of wow factor, or any that really stuck out as memorable.
Other Thoughts: This course is beginner friendly in terms of signage and navigation, but there are some places where thick brush might frustrate newer players without accurate drives. More experienced players will enjoy the challenge on some holes, especially from the tougher long tees.

This is a fun course, and definitely worth playing if you're anywhere near. All the people on the course were friendly, and the course had a nice atmosphere overall. Pair this course with nearby Jericho Lake for a good day of discing!

home town course

5+    8/2/2009   8/5/2009
Review By: skinner21
This review was updated on 9/26/2010
Pros: There is a lot to like about this course. There are two set of tees, with cement tee boxes on the shorts and limestone on the longs with a long term plan of those being concrete as well. Each tee pad has a broom from sweeping debris off. This course is maintained very well by the local club. They put a lot of work into it and it shows. There are garbage cans on almost every hole and very little litter. If you are coming to this course, please keep it that way! The course is in a decently populated area, but has a secluded feel to it. A nice putting green and bulletin board off the first tee. The practice pin also makes for a nice 19th hole if the course isn't busy.

Eagle Ridge requires a variety of shots to do well as it has a good mix of open and wooded holes as you weave in and out of the woods. It is somewhat near the river so there is as much elevation as the area can provide, though there isn't much. Par is very attainable from the short tees, but you will have to work hard to get it.
Cons: There are not many places for big drives, from the short tee at least. I'm not a big of the tee signs. They are pictures of the holes with an arrow pointing toward the pin and they're not very clear. A simple drawn map would work better in my opinion, especially with the blind holes, which there are a decent number of (blind holes are not a con). Some of the wooded holes have trees guarding the basket, which I am not a fan of. There is deep shule in the summer that can eat discs. Be carefully of poison ivy. Navigating the long tees is very tough unless you are there with a guide. Some of the long tees come at the pin from an entirely different direction than the shorts.

I don't mind it, but there are no bathrooms on site.
Other Thoughts: I play this course often as I grew up in the area and recently bought a house less than a mile away. Some of the fairways have no defined path to the target, but that is been changed somewhat with the removal of some dead trees. It is the best and most challenging courses in the area and a must for discers in the Fox Valley area.

If you are going here for the first time, there is a parking area along the road that has a walking path into the park. Just follow this path over the tracks to the first hole.

A Solid Course in the Area

2-4    8/4/2009   8/4/2009
Review By: 4_Of_Spades
This review was updated on 9/18/2012
Pros: Good practice and course baskets, nice signs with real pictures of hole you are playing, hole location, yardage, and par marked.

Dual tee pads, all should be cement now.

Good mix of throws: hyzer, anhyzer, straight.

Mix of heavily wooded and moderately wooded holes.

Layout is nice and basket marks direction of next tee pad.

Was not that crowded when I played.

Nice park just for disc golf.
Cons: Hard to find a poor throw in the wooded holes. Thick rough and trees border many of the holes.
Other Thoughts: This is a nice and well thought out course. One of the more challenging courses around here and I will keep coming back when I can.

A must play!

1    7/26/2009   7/29/2009
Review By: thisdoesfine
Pros: Great variety of hyzer and anhyzer shots.

Quite a few holes you cannot see the basket from the tee but there are wooden posts with pictures showing where the basket is. Not drawings mind you, actual pictures!

The holes are not so close to each other that you risk throwing a disc into someone's fairway. (You could I imagine if you tried)

There are shots where you throw downhill and also uphill.

The grass was mowed quite nicely for the fairways, a definite plus!

Some shots are moderately occupied by trees and some are wide open - great variety!

Most holes are fairly short and this would be a negative in my book as I like longer holes but.... the layout definitely makes up for this.

Bathrooms at entrance and trash cans scattered throughout course.

The scenery as you play is enough for the girlfriend who doesn't want to play to be amused with the hike.

Cons: Cons are very minor, GREAT COURSE

1) Mosquitos - bring repellent
2) Bathrooms - although one is at the entrance, that's it... use nature or hold it!
3) If you like longer shots you might not be 100% happy.

Other Thoughts: I was in Illinois visiting friends and came across this course via this site. None of them had played although it was about 7 miles from their homes. Although it doesn't top my favorite course ( http://www.dgcoursereview.com...e.php?id=1635) This course is definitely second!

make your game better

5+    7/3/2009   7/4/2009
Review By: fox metro discer
This review was updated on 4/11/2010
Pros: Good course with a mix of open and wooded holes. Uses the elevation available very well. With the addition of concrete tees from the short tee positions, this course is one of my favorites in the area. There are many different types of shots required from the tee on many holes. Mix in the long tee positions, and it plays as a totally different course. There is a good mix of both short and long holes that do not favor a RHBH or LHBH player overly. The wooded holes require precision whether it being a drive, upshot, or putt in some instances as there are trees protecting many of the baskets. On the open holes, there are some obstacles in your way taking away the hyzer at many tees requiring more than one type of drive in your bag. Accuracy is definately at a premium here.
Tee signs are very prominent making course navigation easy, however, the hole pictures only showed the location of the basket with an arrow, making some holes difficult to judge the location of the basket when you could not see it from the tee. As well as not having any signage by the long tees, of which some are in a different direction from the basket to the next tee than the shorts.

The longs make a completely different course, adding not only distance, but also different shots off the tee. the natural tees are very well marked and in good shape with large yellow rocks and easy to see, however, there is no distance markings on them. You have to go to the short tees to find that. With the addition of concrete tees, which the local club is raisning money for, will make them that much better.
Errant shots are punished by some very dense schule that can turn a bad drive into a double or triple bogey.
Other Thoughts: Great course that is a lot of fun to play from both the short and long tees. The only downside is the bugs and some poison ivy that you need to keep an eye out for in the woods. Make sure to bring some bug spray with you and an accurate drive.

So Good

2-4    7/2/2009   7/2/2009
Review By: Adam Bigott
Pros: # of holes
Use of long uphill and downhill slopes
equal amount of holes breaking left and right
Interesting Risk/Reward for a lot of the holes
Nice Scenery
Challenging
Has Pro Tees that are insanely difficult
Well kept
Not too crowded
Cons: Not too many here.
Concrete Tees would be nice and possibly add another .5 to my rating.
Some degree of bugs.
Other Thoughts: This rolling 18 hole course is sure to challenge and entertain all who wish to play it. Easily the best/most difficult course I have yet to play.

Disc Heaven Awaits Thee

5+    6/28/2009   6/21/2009
Review By: Rexdiscus
This review was updated on 6/28/2009
Pros: My title says it all. This course, along with Highland Park in Joliet, are my two favorites. I have to drive fifty-one miles to play here and it is well worth it. Those who do not play disc golf would enjoy hiking through this layout. It is so pleasing to the eyes.
It is not merely eye candy, though. The designer(s) took a cool nine-hole course and turned it into an eighteen- hole masterpiece (even if Dave242 does not think so). If you like a mix of right- turning and left-turning holes, this is the place. There is no extreme elevation changes like you find in the the Quad Cities area, but there is still enough variety in elevation to satisfy my palate. Trees and other vegetation abound. There are a few holes that allow you to let her rip (unless you throw over four hundred feet from the tee on a regular basis). A little bit of everything is to be found out here.
Cons: Hard to find any real cons. I guess the fence on hole three could be considered a minor con. I did come close to throwing it on the other side once, but that is not much of a con. If it were a pond instead, would we call it a con? Just look at the fence as another obstacle that adds to the variety. I keep hearing about the poison ivy, but I have had no problems with it and, believe me, I have had my share of throws fly into areas where poison ivy can thrive. I guess insects can be an issue at certain times of the year, but they are a part of nature.
Why didn't I give the course a rating of five? I have not seen anyone give a five and I have looked at hundreds of reviews, maybe thousands. They say nothing in life is perfect, so I guess that is why I did not give it a five. In a perfect world, I would not have to deal with flying pests and poison ivy. I would actually give the course a 4.8, but the rating system here does not work like that. For my own little system, I'll say a tenth of a point deduction for the bugs and a tenth for the threat of poison ivy. No deductions for the fence, however. That comes out to 4.8, which should round up to five, but I used new fuzzy math to make it 4.5. Let me know if you think I am full of it with my own rating system.
Other Thoughts: Crossing the old railroad tracks is like entering another dimension where all the world's problems and all troubling thoughts are left behind. I cannot wait to return to the blissful DGC in Oswego. If you make it out here, it is worth a little extra driving to hit up Jericho Lake. I think it is roughly five miles from the Civic Center. If you and a friend who is with you like tennis, go hit up the courts east of the pool. I did that once after playing two rounds here. Then I could not help myself and played a third round after the tennis. That alone must tell you how much I dig this course. Come try it out for yourself if you have not been here. You will have no regrets unless nothing in life pleases you. Like hoopster Vlade Divac used to say in his thick Serbo-Croation accent, "I love this game!"

B = Better Than Average

1    6/16/2009   6/16/2009
Pros: I rate most courses from the long tee pads, but this one is an exception since many of the longs did not seem finished/playable. Many of them had no real fairway or added strategy....which leads me to believe there is work that is still planned.

What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == B
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == B-
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == B+
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == B+
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A

Definetly a must play!!!

5+    6/7/2009   6/8/2009
Review By: TheWCG
Pros: Well designed course overall. Pretty much every kind of throw you know how to use will come into play. Par 3s almost all the way through will keep you on your toes. Beautiful course....
Cons: Bugs,THICK brush,Safety throws are a must here. Not too many holes you can just huck it and hope for the best. Almost every shot has to be on point. The trees can be tricky business. Some of the thickest brush I've seen anywhere....
Other Thoughts: Bring Bug spray!!! Try to play with your brightest discs. Keep a CLOSE eye on your disc as they can easily vanish into the the jungle.