Oswego, IL
Hole #4 Pro Tee

1 2 3 4 5 Next >
 B = Better Than Average

1    6/16/2009   6/16/2009
Pros: I rate most courses from the long tee pads, but this one is an exception since many of the longs did not seem finished/playable. Many of them had no real fairway or added strategy....which leads me to believe there is work that is still planned.

What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == B
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == B-
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == B+
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == B+
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A

Over time, I expect to fill some of my reviews in with more descriptive verbiage...if what I can add anything to what has already been written. For now, my list is more important to me than the verbiage of my reviews.

I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me....that's the fun of things here. See my profile for my rating philosophy.

Definetly a must play!!!

5+    6/7/2009   6/8/2009
Review By: TheWCG
Pros: Well designed course overall. Pretty much every kind of throw you know how to use will come into play. Par 3s almost all the way through will keep you on your toes. Beautiful course....
Cons: Bugs,THICK brush,Safety throws are a must here. Not too many holes you can just huck it and hope for the best. Almost every shot has to be on point. The trees can be tricky business. Some of the thickest brush I've seen anywhere....
Other Thoughts: Bring Bug spray!!! Try to play with your brightest discs. Keep a CLOSE eye on your disc as they can easily vanish into the the jungle.

Good times!

5+    10/19/2008   10/20/2008
Review By: njoyntheride
Pros: Amongst the best in the area. Very fun, pretty challenging, decent elevation. A must play if you're in town. Definitely in the Chicagoland top 5.
Cons: Not really any complaints. The only reason it's not a 5 is because of I'm comparing it to out of state courses.
Other Thoughts: Not as challenging as Summit, but better elevation changes. It's a favorite for sure.

The best in Chicagoland!

5+    9/20/2008   10/1/2008
Review By: krc1130
This review was updated on 7/12/2009
Pros: This is such a long, pretty course and is so great to play. There is such a variety in holes, and the elevation changes, though modest, are very nice for the area. Shorter and longer holes are mixed up, and there is a good variety of wooded and open holes...really something for every player. The practice basket is really neat, especially with the little point game added to it. Very fun addition. Throws need to be pretty tight on some shots, though there is a little room for error. The brush can get a little thick, but you can pretty much always find a disc. Tees are well marked, and unlike the previous reviewer, I had no problem navigating from hole to hole.
Cons: There are very few places to improve this course. I've seen the signs for poison ivy but didn't have any issues with it. Two sets of concrete tees on each hole would be a definite place to improve, though not a huge priority. In most cases, the tees are clear. Careful with your shot on the third hole, you might have to scale a fence to get your disc back if you're not (I've been close).
Other Thoughts: This course is a great use of the land there, and it provides a really, really fun disc golf experience. There aren't many bad things to say about the course...just walking up to it, you have no idea what lays ahead, but it is a truly great course. There were a lot of people playing when we were there, but the course never felt crowded. The baskets are spread out very well and this course has a great design. This is a must play in the Chicago area, for sure!

Great course, but potentially itchy

5+    9/20/2008   9/22/2008
Review By: m1ke
This review was updated on 8/2/2010
Pros: Excellent layout of holes.
-Plenty of variety- different degrees of woodedness, different kinds of elevation change, right-turning vs. left-turning, etc.
-Lots of elevation usage
-Fun and challenging
-Markings for pro tees.
-Each basket has a dash of yellow paint on one prong; that prong points in the direction of the next tee, or the path to it.
-Concrete tees, with brooms to brush off debris on almost every hole.
Cons: More mosquitos here than any other course I've ever been to- I really enjoyed this course, but would NOT go back in spring/summer without bug spray.
-The thick underbrush off many fairways does offer the risk of disc loss.
-Poison ivy in the brush along many of the more wooded holes.
Other Thoughts: Elevation usage is fantastic- shots up hill, down big hill, over rises in landscape, across dips in landscape, etc.
If it's not well into fall/winter, bring bug repellent- trust me, you'll need it.
Other than that, be prepared to have fun!

Good Course

4/14/2008   4/14/2008
Review By: Noah Karnes
This review was updated on 7/1/2008
Pros: I really enjoy this course for some reason. It reminds me of Otter Creek in Brandenburg, KY (my old home course). For the most part, Eagle Ridge is short and technical through the woods but it does have a couple long, open holes. It's well marked with good signs and arrows pointing toward the next tee. This course actually has a little elevation in it. Which is rare for this area.
Cons: The only knock I have on this course is that the tees are not concrete. The short tees are gravel and the long tees are on dirt. I think they are putting in concrete tees sometime soon.

1 2 3 4 5 Next >