Oswego, IL

Disc Heaven Awaits Thee

5+    6/28/2009   6/21/2009
Review By: Rexdiscus
This review was updated on 6/28/2009
Pros: My title says it all. This course, along with Highland Park in Joliet, are my two favorites. I have to drive fifty-one miles to play here and it is well worth it. Those who do not play disc golf would enjoy hiking through this layout. It is so pleasing to the eyes.
It is not merely eye candy, though. The designer(s) took a cool nine-hole course and turned it into an eighteen- hole masterpiece (even if Dave242 does not think so). If you like a mix of right- turning and left-turning holes, this is the place. There is no extreme elevation changes like you find in the the Quad Cities area, but there is still enough variety in elevation to satisfy my palate. Trees and other vegetation abound. There are a few holes that allow you to let her rip (unless you throw over four hundred feet from the tee on a regular basis). A little bit of everything is to be found out here.
Cons: Hard to find any real cons. I guess the fence on hole three could be considered a minor con. I did come close to throwing it on the other side once, but that is not much of a con. If it were a pond instead, would we call it a con? Just look at the fence as another obstacle that adds to the variety. I keep hearing about the poison ivy, but I have had no problems with it and, believe me, I have had my share of throws fly into areas where poison ivy can thrive. I guess insects can be an issue at certain times of the year, but they are a part of nature.
Why didn't I give the course a rating of five? I have not seen anyone give a five and I have looked at hundreds of reviews, maybe thousands. They say nothing in life is perfect, so I guess that is why I did not give it a five. In a perfect world, I would not have to deal with flying pests and poison ivy. I would actually give the course a 4.8, but the rating system here does not work like that. For my own little system, I'll say a tenth of a point deduction for the bugs and a tenth for the threat of poison ivy. No deductions for the fence, however. That comes out to 4.8, which should round up to five, but I used new fuzzy math to make it 4.5. Let me know if you think I am full of it with my own rating system.
Other Thoughts: Crossing the old railroad tracks is like entering another dimension where all the world's problems and all troubling thoughts are left behind. I cannot wait to return to the blissful DGC in Oswego. If you make it out here, it is worth a little extra driving to hit up Jericho Lake. I think it is roughly five miles from the Civic Center. If you and a friend who is with you like tennis, go hit up the courts east of the pool. I did that once after playing two rounds here. Then I could not help myself and played a third round after the tennis. That alone must tell you how much I dig this course. Come try it out for yourself if you have not been here. You will have no regrets unless nothing in life pleases you. Like hoopster Vlade Divac used to say in his thick Serbo-Croation accent, "I love this game!"

B = Better Than Average

1    6/16/2009   6/16/2009
Pros: I rate most courses from the long tee pads, but this one is an exception since many of the longs did not seem finished/playable. Many of them had no real fairway or added strategy....which leads me to believe there is work that is still planned.

What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == B
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == B-
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == B+
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == B+
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A

Over time, I expect to fill some of my reviews in with more descriptive verbiage...if what I can add anything to what has already been written. For now, my list is more important to me than the verbiage of my reviews.

I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me....that's the fun of things here. See my profile for my rating philosophy.

Definetly a must play!!!

5+    6/7/2009   6/8/2009
Review By: TheWCG
Pros: Well designed course overall. Pretty much every kind of throw you know how to use will come into play. Par 3s almost all the way through will keep you on your toes. Beautiful course....
Cons: Bugs,THICK brush,Safety throws are a must here. Not too many holes you can just huck it and hope for the best. Almost every shot has to be on point. The trees can be tricky business. Some of the thickest brush I've seen anywhere....
Other Thoughts: Bring Bug spray!!! Try to play with your brightest discs. Keep a CLOSE eye on your disc as they can easily vanish into the the jungle.

Good times!

5+    10/19/2008   10/20/2008
Review By: njoyntheride
Pros: Amongst the best in the area. Very fun, pretty challenging, decent elevation. A must play if you're in town. Definitely in the Chicagoland top 5.
Cons: Not really any complaints. The only reason it's not a 5 is because of I'm comparing it to out of state courses.
Other Thoughts: Not as challenging as Summit, but better elevation changes. It's a favorite for sure.

The best in Chicagoland!

5+    9/20/2008   10/1/2008
Review By: krc1130
This review was updated on 7/12/2009
Pros: This is such a long, pretty course and is so great to play. There is such a variety in holes, and the elevation changes, though modest, are very nice for the area. Shorter and longer holes are mixed up, and there is a good variety of wooded and open holes...really something for every player. The practice basket is really neat, especially with the little point game added to it. Very fun addition. Throws need to be pretty tight on some shots, though there is a little room for error. The brush can get a little thick, but you can pretty much always find a disc. Tees are well marked, and unlike the previous reviewer, I had no problem navigating from hole to hole.
Cons: There are very few places to improve this course. I've seen the signs for poison ivy but didn't have any issues with it. Two sets of concrete tees on each hole would be a definite place to improve, though not a huge priority. In most cases, the tees are clear. Careful with your shot on the third hole, you might have to scale a fence to get your disc back if you're not (I've been close).
Other Thoughts: This course is a great use of the land there, and it provides a really, really fun disc golf experience. There aren't many bad things to say about the course...just walking up to it, you have no idea what lays ahead, but it is a truly great course. There were a lot of people playing when we were there, but the course never felt crowded. The baskets are spread out very well and this course has a great design. This is a must play in the Chicago area, for sure!

Great course, but potentially itchy

5+    9/20/2008   9/22/2008
Review By: m1ke
This review was updated on 8/2/2010
Pros: Excellent layout of holes.
-Plenty of variety- different degrees of woodedness, different kinds of elevation change, right-turning vs. left-turning, etc.
-Lots of elevation usage
-Fun and challenging
-Markings for pro tees.
-Each basket has a dash of yellow paint on one prong; that prong points in the direction of the next tee, or the path to it.
-Concrete tees, with brooms to brush off debris on almost every hole.
Cons: More mosquitos here than any other course I've ever been to- I really enjoyed this course, but would NOT go back in spring/summer without bug spray.
-The thick underbrush off many fairways does offer the risk of disc loss.
-Poison ivy in the brush along many of the more wooded holes.
Other Thoughts: Elevation usage is fantastic- shots up hill, down big hill, over rises in landscape, across dips in landscape, etc.
If it's not well into fall/winter, bring bug repellent- trust me, you'll need it.
Other than that, be prepared to have fun!

Good Course

4/14/2008   4/14/2008
Review By: Noah Karnes
This review was updated on 7/1/2008
Pros: I really enjoy this course for some reason. It reminds me of Otter Creek in Brandenburg, KY (my old home course). For the most part, Eagle Ridge is short and technical through the woods but it does have a couple long, open holes. It's well marked with good signs and arrows pointing toward the next tee. This course actually has a little elevation in it. Which is rare for this area.
Cons: The only knock I have on this course is that the tees are not concrete. The short tees are gravel and the long tees are on dirt. I think they are putting in concrete tees sometime soon.

1 2 3 4 5 Next >